Menu

November Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

31 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I did a lot of background reading in 18th century novels (English and French) because I had a place at Cambridge to do a PhD on Les Liaisons Dangereuses. But then I got diverted and never took up the place.  Fun reading though.

I just recently forced myself to read Liaisons.  I had to read the French with the English version open next to me because it was so difficult!  I didn't like it.  I struggle when I don't find the main characters sympathetic!

On Topic:  I ran!  Another 5.5k with 3 hill sprints.  Felt nice!  First run with a headlamp for the season.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I just recently forced myself to read Liaisons.  I had to read the French with the English version open next to me because it was so difficult!  I didn't like it.  I struggle when I don't find the main characters sympathetic!

There's no one to love in the book, for sure, just some to admire despite your better judgement, and some to pity.

Well done on the run!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I got in a short bike ride and a medium length walk with the dog. I could have walked longer, but the dog is recovering from his "snip-snip" and not supposed to walk too far or run "under any circumstances." 😨 No one told him that. He is way too happy a puppy to stop running and jumping - a great big goofy black lab. So far he has healed nicely and has not busted open his stitches. 😉

• Like 4

Today's plan-- Morning Meltdown Cardio and Lifting in the evening, I might go ahead and do lower body Morning Meltdown today too. Friday and sat my schedule is pretty packed until afternoon and I prefer to workout in morning and want Sunday off, we'll see. I tweaked my Morning Meltdown schedule again, I hate how it is on a 10 day rotation, so I'm planning on trying it on 7 day, so I can have the same schedule each week (which makes it much easier to remember what to do). So, I'm planning to double up MM workouts on Mon/Wed when I don't lift and have more time, we'll see how that will go.

I slept pretty darn good last night, took a bit more melatononin and was a smidge under 7 hrs according to fitbit but I think I got a bit more, I cracked 80 for my sleep score. I am a bit groggy today but not unbearably so. I'd prefer to not take it at all but I seem to need it now, so I'll take sleep however I can get it. I've noticed that eating dinner earlier helps too, on nights we are busy and eat later I don't sleep as well. I need plenty of wind down time. I was in bed at 7:50 and we had lights out a bit before 8:30.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

2 Workouts done this AM- 20ish minutes Cardio/HIIT and 30 min Lower body strength;

Tonight is lifting- I'll be skipping my split squats since I just did a million but keep all the rest as it is upper body.

I didn't eat anything before I worked out and did not feel as good, I wanted to get it done. 

Cooking breakfast- Scrambled eggs w/ pepper, onions, potato, tomato, spinach; whole grain/seed gf toast w/ grassfed butter and homemade chai tea (unsweet almond milk and hive fresh honey 🙂 )

• Like 4

It's a winter wonderland outside today! We got a couple inches of snow this morning. It's beautiful and bright outside, but the driving is a little off as people re-learn how to drive on snow again. Always seems to be shock for many. 😉

I'm going for my weekly walk in the woods with a group of homeschool hockey moms. It's always fun to walk and talk with these ladies! Biking will sadly be on hold for a while. I may bust out the oldest pair of cross-country skis and do a loop or two around the soccer field before the snow melts, though! 😁

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

On 11/5/2019 at 7:48 AM, Laura Corin said:

I'm really worried about my brother, the keen tennis player, who also cycles everywhere and has taken up golf - the fittest 61yo I know. He had a heart attack a few months ago, didn't immediately recognise it as such, and ended up in hospital recently.

He has been diagnosed with an atypical attack caused by an arterial tear. He's on seven medications and starts rehab in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, he's only allowed to walk gently. The whole thing is very scary and depressing for him. I'm posting here for people who understand the psychological aspect of dropping exercise. He has always found walking a bit slow and pointless. Prognosis currently uncertain.

The senior surgeon has reviewed his latest scans and says that putting in a stent will end up with him eventually being fitter.  So sometime in the next month he'll be back into hospital for that.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

The senior surgeon has reviewed his latest scans and says that putting in a stent will end up with him eventually being fitter.  So sometime in the next month he'll be back into hospital for that.

That sounds very promising. Hope everything works out well. How is he doing right now?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Okay I think. He sounds quite nervous though, understandably

Sure. That sounds quite normal to be nervous about any kind of surgery, but anything related to the heart has an increased level of stress for everyone involved (patient, doctors and family). 

All the best to you all! I'll be thinking of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

That sounds hopeful, but I understand the uncertainty. I've not had surgery as an adult and it terrifies me.

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's a winter wonderland outside today! We got a couple inches of snow this morning. It's beautiful and bright outside, but the driving is a little off as people re-learn how to drive on snow again. Always seems to be shock for many. 😉

I'm going for my weekly walk in the woods with a group of homeschool hockey moms. It's always fun to walk and talk with these ladies! Biking will sadly be on hold for a while. I may bust out the oldest pair of cross-country skis and do a loop or two around the soccer field before the snow melts, though! 😁

I'm jealous as always for your walk with friends, how lovely! I'm not jealous of the snow!!!

Lifting went pretty well, increased weights on my landmine press (65#), flexed arm hang felt harder than usual or maybe I'm misremembering.

My schedule for tomorrow got delayed, sure wish I would have known that sooner, I'd have rather just did 1 workout this morning and save one for tomorrow. I might do a stretching one tomorrow, we'll see how I feel and how I'm doing on time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Spent yesterday walking a zillion miles around the big zoo in Jacksonville FL in the heat, but after a gallon of water, a good supper and a full night of sleep, I think I've recovered enough to have a normal level of activity today, haha.  Strength training this morning (going to work on my kettlebell swing form--I seem to be leaning back at the top of the movement and putting stress on my lower back) and CKD tonight.  It's been a sparring week in class, which I always dread since that's the hardest part for me.  I dread it even more lately because a couple months ago, my instructor accidentally landed a full-strength punch right across my cheekbone and knocked me down.  I had a mild concussion for a few days and unfortunately have developed some fear about getting hurt while sparring, especially since we're moving out of "drill" type sparring to more real contact stuff.  Anyways, I'm going into it tonight determined to work on staying light on my feet and to keep moving--basically focusing on defense.

Sparring def has shown me how beneficial strength training is, though.  There have been several times recently that I've been tagged and I can tell having a bit more solid mass is protecting me, so that's cool!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, soror said:

I'm jealous as always for your walk with friends, how lovely! I'm not jealous of the snow!!!

Lifting went pretty well, increased weights on my landmine press (65#), flexed arm hang felt harder than usual or maybe I'm misremembering.

My schedule for tomorrow got delayed, sure wish I would have known that sooner, I'd have rather just did 1 workout this morning and save one for tomorrow. I might do a stretching one tomorrow, we'll see how I feel and how I'm doing on time.

No one seems to be jealous of snow when it's on your doorstep! It's different if you travel to the snow to downhill ski on it. 😉

I'm jealous of you even mentioning you will stretch! I can't even do that these days. I just do a quick 5 second stretch of my achilles when my ankles won't bend in the mornings.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but my weight is still going down unintentionally. I'm at 122 and I'm 5'7". I'm trying not too stress about this. I'm eating all my normal foods in normal quantities and not exercising much. I just bought and ate thick cut bacon this morning, and we'll have some steak for lunch/dinner. I wish I knew what was going on with me. ☹️

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, wintermom said:

No one seems to be jealous of snow when it's on your doorstep! It's different if you travel to the snow to downhill ski on it. 😉

I'm jealous of you even mentioning you will stretch! I can't even do that these days. I just do a quick 5 second stretch of my achilles when my ankles won't bend in the mornings.

I like looking at the snow, that is about it, not my thing. do you not have time for stretching now? 

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Spent yesterday walking a zillion miles around the big zoo in Jacksonville FL in the heat, but after a gallon of water, a good supper and a full night of sleep, I think I've recovered enough to have a normal level of activity today, haha.  Strength training this morning (going to work on my kettlebell swing form--I seem to be leaning back at the top of the movement and putting stress on my lower back) and CKD tonight.  It's been a sparring week in class, which I always dread since that's the hardest part for me.  I dread it even more lately because a couple months ago, my instructor accidentally landed a full-strength punch right across my cheekbone and knocked me down.  I had a mild concussion for a few days and unfortunately have developed some fear about getting hurt while sparring, especially since we're moving out of "drill" type sparring to more real contact stuff.  Anyways, I'm going into it tonight determined to work on staying light on my feet and to keep moving--basically focusing on defense.

Sparring def has shown me how beneficial strength training is, though.  There have been several times recently that I've been tagged and I can tell having a bit more solid mass is protecting me, so that's cool!

The zoo is so fun but exhausting, we went in September (the closest one is 2 hrs for us so we don't go alot). Good luck getting those swings adjusted, videoing yourself can be such a help. I'd be scared too, a concussion is nothing to downplay. Best wishes tonight!

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but my weight is still going down unintentionally. I'm at 122 and I'm 5'7". I'm trying not too stress about this. I'm eating all my normal foods in normal quantities and not exercising much. I just bought and ate thick cut bacon this morning, and we'll have some steak for lunch/dinner. I wish I knew what was going on with me. ☹️

Hmmm, you don't feel you are in a deficit? Has the weight loss been fairly consistent since the diet change or picked up? It seems you are dropping pretty fast. I'm guessing a chunk of the weight you had was inflammation but that is still a lot over a short period of time and puts you pretty thin for your height.

I did 20 min of stretching this am since I had time and it felt wonderful! Just had bfast- gf steelcut oats, baked apples, nf plain greek yogurt, sprinkle chopped pecans, and gf nut/whole grain toast w/ homemade chai(unsweet almond and honey). 

I'm packing my soup in a thermos for lunch today, a cold sandwich does not sound good on this chilly (for us) day. 

I've not done the best with steps since the flu, some days I hit 10k, some days I don't my 1 month average is 9.8k, I'm working on getting back to being more consistent.

OH, and I'm ordering some full length yoga pants I've suffered through YEARS now, not having good full length pants and getting by with this and that, I'm done. I would have been better off buying some good ones years ago instead of several so-so pairs I don't like to wear. I've got a few different ones coming that have free returns.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, soror said:

I like looking at the snow, that is about it, not my thing. do you not have time for stretching now? 

The zoo is so fun but exhausting, we went in September (the closest one is 2 hrs for us so we don't go alot). Good luck getting those swings adjusted, videoing yourself can be such a help. I'd be scared too, a concussion is nothing to downplay. Best wishes tonight!

Hmmm, you don't feel you are in a deficit? Has the weight loss been fairly consistent since the diet change or picked up? It seems you are dropping pretty fast. I'm guessing a chunk of the weight you had was inflammation but that is still a lot over a short period of time and puts you pretty thin for your height.

I did 20 min of stretching this am since I had time and it felt wonderful! Just had bfast- gf steelcut oats, baked apples, nf plain greek yogurt, sprinkle chopped pecans, and gf nut/whole grain toast w/ homemade chai(unsweet almond and honey). 

I'm packing my soup in a thermos for lunch today, a cold sandwich does not sound good on this chilly (for us) day. 

I've not done the best with steps since the flu, some days I hit 10k, some days I don't my 1 month average is 9.8k, I'm working on getting back to being more consistent.

OH, and I'm ordering some full length yoga pants I've suffered through YEARS now, not having good full length pants and getting by with this and that, I'm done. I would have been better off buying some good ones years ago instead of several so-so pairs I don't like to wear. I've got a few different ones coming that have free returns.

I don't have the interest at all to stretch. I could force myself. Maybe I could get my dd to hog tie me on my yoga mat. 😂  My mind and body are on hyperdrive. It's not great. And I can't play the piano because it hurts ds's head (his bedroom is directly beneath the piano). 

Re: weight loss. It has been a somewhat steady decrease since I started my gluten- and dairy-free diet in early Sept. I've been eating large quantities of food, such as making my own pumpkin pie almost daily and eating most of it myself. I eat meat and protein and high-fat coconut milk. I'm not holding back on sugar, though it's mostly in the form of maple syrup. I'm not running or playing tennis lately. Mostly sitting at the computer or going for walks. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I don't have the interest at all to stretch. I could force myself. Maybe I could get my dd to hog tie me on my yoga mat. 😂  My mind and body are on hyperdrive. It's not great. And I can't play the piano because it hurts ds's head (his bedroom is directly beneath the piano). 

Re: weight loss. It has been a somewhat steady decrease since I started my gluten- and dairy-free diet in early Sept. I've been eating large quantities of food, such as making my own pumpkin pie almost daily and eating most of it myself. I eat meat and protein and high-fat coconut milk. I'm not holding back on sugar, though it's mostly in the form of maple syrup. I'm not running or playing tennis lately. Mostly sitting at the computer or going for walks. 

I used to really loathe the stretching period at the end of my CKD classes.  So boring!  Cuts into the time for fun stuff!  I'm a little more used to it now but I'm considering doing foam rolling at home because I clearly need to do better with helping my muscles and connective tissue, but adding more stretching to my life sounds like a horrendous idea, haha.

• Like 3

CKD last night went well...we were working on specific sparring techniques, so it was very structured and less free-form.  No new bruises!  🙂

I did overhead press and squat dropsets yesterday during strength training, and boy does that method really ramp up the intensity.  Love it.  I'm planning on doing straight sets this morning (chinups, KB swings again, loaded one-leg Romanian deadlifts) because I'm scheduled to do yard work projects at my parents' place this afternoon and I want to have a little left in the tank for that.

The weather has turned to the Florida version of fall, and wow, is it ever easier to get a good workout in when the humidity is not 800%.  Now if we could just get a frost in to kill the mosquitoes...

• Like 4

Short on time- lifting/strength work at home b/c we have Scouting for Food this am. Modified to fit my equipment, decent workout. No more workouts until Mon. am, except maybe some walking. I'm feeling a bit wore down and anxious. I am leaning harder towards hormonal issues, the dots keep connecting. 

• Like 3

This week: eating was mostly ok. Winning against sugar, struggling against grain. Also just feeling hungry and probably over eating.  Got to the gym 3 days. I am going to try to get an at-home session in today but I also have a monster essay that I’m working on and no time. Weight is at 143, down a pound. 

next week goals: eating= no grains

exercise= 4 days

• Like 5

9 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I used to really loathe the stretching period at the end of my CKD classes.  So boring!  Cuts into the time for fun stuff!  I'm a little more used to it now but I'm considering doing foam rolling at home because I clearly need to do better with helping my muscles and connective tissue, but adding more stretching to my life sounds like a horrendous idea, haha.

I actually appreciated the stretching we did sometimes at the end my Taekwon-Do classes. They were so effective! I would often take a bath in cold water to help deal with the pain after a really tough work-out. Stretching is WAY more fun than that!   And I do like to stretch or use a foam roller when I've been doing intense exercise. But with the hiking and biking I'm doing lately, it just seems unnecessary. There probably is still a benefit to stretching, but I just don't see the need if I have no muscle pain from lactic acid, KWIM? 

• Like 1

I have my indoor tennis league matches tonight. One hour of ladies doubles, and the second hour is mixed doubles. It should be fun! 

So after some intentional big eating yesterday (steak and potatoes, plus fixings) I lost another pound. I don't feel great today. Head-aches, fuzzy head and weak. Now I'm starting to feel like I actually have a virus. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, wintermom said:

I actually appreciated the stretching we did sometimes at the end my Taekwon-Do classes. They were so effective! I would often take a bath in cold water to help deal with the pain after a really tough work-out. Stretching is WAY more fun than that!   And I do like to stretch or use a foam roller when I've been doing intense exercise. But with the hiking and biking I'm doing lately, it just seems unnecessary. There probably is still a benefit to stretching, but I just don't see the need if I have no muscle pain from lactic acid, KWIM? 

Yep, during pool season (like 9 months here) I swim 3x a week or so, and that seems to work all the kinks out.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I have my indoor tennis league matches tonight. One hour of ladies doubles, and the second hour is mixed doubles. It should be fun! 

So after some intentional big eating yesterday (steak and potatoes, plus fixings) I lost another pound. I don't feel great today. Head-aches, fuzzy head and weak. Now I'm starting to feel like I actually have a virus. 

I hope it is a small bug that you fight off 😞

re: stretching- I don't think anyone needs extreme flexibility and in some cases it causes more harm than good but we do want to keep a level of flexibiity as we are older to do various tasks. We lose it if we don't use it and it can really impair are abiity to do things. Things like getting down on the floor and all the way back up, come in handy. Also, the balance training, not that it is only done in yoga just to say it is something that we should incorporate in some way- falling as we get older is a big deal. So, I don't see yoga as a requirement but working to maintain flexibility and balance as I get older yes, working on relaxing yes- because stress is a physical and mental killer. Stretching after a workout or when my muscles are sore feels good to me, even though often I'd rather not.

I did about 3 miles of walking yesterday delivering bags w/ the girls (a chunk of that running), ended w/ 13k  + steps and ended the week higher than I'd hit in a month (and the 2 weeks before that are really bad due to being sick). I woke up at 3:45 and did some work around the house and am now laying down for a little nap before starting the day. I'm visiting Mom today and I don't know what else, hopefully some work outside b/c the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. I'm planning to prep some salmon and quinoa/veggie salad for the week's lunches as having soup all week was really nice- a hot meal I didn't have to cook. In theory salads sound good but I'm not in the mood right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

I hope it is a small bug that you fight off 😞

re: stretching- I don't think anyone needs extreme flexibility and in some cases it causes more harm than good but we do want to keep a level of flexibility as we are older to do various tasks. We lose it if we don't use it and it can really impair are abiity to do things. Things like getting down on the floor and all the way back up, come in handy. Also, the balance training, not that it is only done in yoga just to say it is something that we should incorporate in some way- falling as we get older is a big deal. So, I don't see yoga as a requirement but working to maintain flexibility and balance as I get older yes, working on relaxing yes- because stress is a physical and mental killer. Stretching after a workout or when my muscles are sore feels good to me, even though often I'd rather not.

I did about 3 miles of walking yesterday delivering bags w/ the girls (a chunk of that running), ended w/ 13k  + steps and ended the week higher than I'd hit in a month (and the 2 weeks before that are really bad due to being sick). I woke up at 3:45 and did some work around the house and am now laying down for a little nap before starting the day. I'm visiting Mom today and I don't know what else, hopefully some work outside b/c the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. I'm planning to prep some salmon and quinoa/veggie salad for the week's lunches as having soup all week was really nice- a hot meal I didn't have to cook. In theory salads sound good but I'm not in the mood right now.

You are absolutely correct about flexibility!  My problem is that my head knows, and my body tells me, and I watch my dogs wake up every morning and stretch for a few seconds, and this still doesn't motivate me. 😉   However, when I do stretch, it always feels good.  What doesn't feel good at all is when my former yoga instructor had the class hold a stretch or pose for 2 - 5 minutes. That felt horrible, and I never did it. I think my body knows best when a stretch is being held too long, and I listen to it. 

I was also up in the middle of the night! I went outside for a walk, because I was too hot in my bedroom with the window open. It was 25F outside, and my dh says the bedroom was actually cold. I don't know if this is my crazy hormones, or something else. I was like this when I was pregnant, though. My heat sensor when a little nuts.

• Like 2

So I figured out how to battle the fuzzy head thing - drink my coffee! 😉  I can't just stop cold turkey.  I had a cup at 4pm yesterday, and was totally focused and pumped for my tennis match. I played really well, too. The only trouble was that I couldn't fall asleep and stay asleep.  So make sure to drink my coffee in the morning, girl! 

• Like 2

Back to full fitness after my cold. I slept badly last night, probably due to lack of exercise. So today I Nordic Walked for 2.5 miles at 12.5 minutes a mile, then walked briskly with the dog for another 2.5 miles. Good and sweaty, despite the cold. It felt good.

I finally worked out why my reminders to book yoga aren't working. Too late for this Monday, but I'll try to get a cancellation place. I hope to do yoga twice this week, Nordic Walk twice, one other strength session and daily brisk lunchtime walks. Oh, and daily meditation.

• Like 4

I went for a really nice hike in the woods with a friend this afternoon, and then we went to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. It was a wonderful afternoon! 

I still feel like I'm over-charged on caffeine, despite the fact that I only had one cup of coffee this morning. I prefer the super-charged feeling over the fuzzy head, though! 😉

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, but I'm getting them re-checked tomorrow.  It's really frustrating, because all these symptoms could be menopause related, with a dash of stress tossed in. 

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a really nice hike in the woods with a friend this afternoon, and then we went to a Vietnamese Pho restaurant for a late lunch/early dinner. It was a wonderful afternoon! 

I still feel like I'm over-charged on caffeine, despite the fact that I only had one cup of coffee this morning. I prefer the super-charged feeling over the fuzzy head, though! 😉

Hmmm.... ya, I'd want my thyroid rechecked, they should be able to catch hyperthyroidism/Graves pretty easily and it is nothing to mess with, even more so than hypothyroidism it can go bad fast and can mess with your heart and eyes and other things. Usually with stress you lose weight because you aren't eating and menopause usually causes weight gain. It seems you've lost weight pretty fast but some of that could be due to losing inflammation. Thyroid disease is related to celiac fyi, if you have one you are likely to more autoimmune diseases.

teaching now will do morning meltdown when I finish

• Like 2

Rest day yesterday, strength training this morning and CKD tonight.  Our next belt test is this Saturday, so all 3 classes this week will be mock-test style.  I ordered a heavier kettlebell and I can't wait (weight? lol) for it to come!  I tried out swings a couple months ago, really skeptical it could be a decent hamstring exercise, and then could hardly sit down the next day, haha.  Swings seem to get my core too, specifically my obliques.  Hope everyone has a great day!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Rest day yesterday, strength training this morning and CKD tonight.  Our next belt test is this Saturday, so all 3 classes this week will be mock-test style.  I ordered a heavier kettlebell and I can't wait (weight? lol) for it to come!  I tried out swings a couple months ago, really skeptical it could be a decent hamstring exercise, and then could hardly sit down the next day, haha.  Swings seem to get my core too, specifically my obliques.  Hope everyone has a great day!

Rest days are wonderful! Good for you for intentionally scheduling them in. "Rest" is also a bad 4-letter word for people who love being active. All the best on your belt test!! I was so happy when my belt tests became 1, 2 then 3 years apart at the black belt level. It was cheaper. 😉

The swing exercises with kettle balls always look like so much fun. And then you pull you back out. I probably swing too hard. 😂

Edited by wintermom
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Ya, they can really work you. My hamstrings are really sore and tight and I'm not sure why, I guess something I did on leg day but I'm not sure which exercise, no swings for me lately. When I did single leg romanian deadlifts Saturday I could really feel it. I only have a 26# kettlebell, it is light for somethings, heavy for others.

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

Rest days are wonderful! Good for you for intentionally scheduling them in. "Rest" is also a bad 4-letter word for people who love being active. All the best on your belt test!! I was so happy when my belt tests became 1, 2 then 3 years apart at the black belt level. It was cheaper. 😉

The swing exercises with kettle balls always look like so much fun. And then you pull you back out. I probably swing too hard. 😂

Yaaaasss, I am so tired of paying for both my son and I to test every 2 months!!!

I had trouble with my back at first and realized that I was both letting it drop too low at the bottom of the movement between my legs and over contracting my back at the top of the movement.  I have to actively ignore using ANYTHING except my glutes, hamstrings, and hip hinge to swing the bell.  Uses so much mental effort, lol.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, soror said:

Ya, they can really work you. My hamstrings are really sore and tight and I'm not sure why, I guess something I did on leg day but I'm not sure which exercise, no swings for me lately. When I did single leg romanian deadlifts Saturday I could really feel it. I only have a 26# kettlebell, it is light for somethings, heavy for others.

I like single leg dl as well!  I like hamstring exercises.

• Like 2

Good brisk walk at lunchtime. 

Didn't manage to get into the yoga class, but came home and did two of Adriene's routines: 13 minutes of upper body strength (essentially press-ups and planks) and 29 minutes of lower body strength (chair, high lunges).  I added in relaxation at the end.  The classes I go to focus more on flexibility, so these two sessions are good strength options for home.  I did the easy version of some of the asanas, so I definitely have some work to do to get full benefit.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Good brisk walk at lunchtime. 

Didn't manage to get into the yoga class, but came home and did two of Adriene's routines: 13 minutes of upper body strength (essentially press-ups and planks) and 29 minutes of lower body strength (chair, high lunges).  I added in relaxation at the end.  The classes I go to focus more on flexibility, so these two sessions are good strength options for home.  I did the easy version of some of the asanas, so I definitely have some work to do to get full benefit.

Awesome! I had a pre-lunchtime walk, which is good timing as it's snowing now. Do you have snow in your region yet?

I like your at-home exercise routine. I'm really impressed that you (and so many of the ladies on this thread) can get home exercise accomplished. If I wanted to do "puppy yoga" and get my faced licked and nibbled on, I could do at-home mat exercises. Some people pay lots of money to do "goat yoga" for good laughs. It does get tiring if the goat or puppy is always there, though, and you can never just do regular mat stretches.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Our young dog used to give me the oddest looks, as if to ask, "What are you trying to tell me when you move your body like *that*?" He does sometimes come check out the yoga mat before I kick him off and get started. But he's pretty used to it now. I would either put him in his crate or send him outside if he drove me crazy. He probably knows that, lol.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Awesome! I had a pre-lunchtime walk, which is good timing as it's snowing now. Do you have snow in your region yet?

I like your at-home exercise routine. I'm really impressed that you (and so many of the ladies on this thread) can get home exercise accomplished. If I wanted to do "puppy yoga" and get my faced licked and nibbled on, I could do at-home mat exercises. Some people pay lots of money to do "goat yoga" for good laughs. It does get tiring if the goat or puppy is always there, though, and you can never just do regular mat stretches.

Lol, goat yoga.  Man, I spent so long training my boys to leave me alone while I work out.  I started out by doing bodyweight workouts outside while they played on the trampoline or tree fort.  Now we're to the point that I can be in my carport-covered home gym area while they are just generally playing in the yard, and they mostly get it that if I'm on the mat and the headphones are on, do not interrupt except for blood or fire!  Actually, I think they look forward to that time every morning and like it that they play "secret" games (ninja, spy, etc) I'm not privy to.  But it was definitely puppy yoga at first, with one boy insisting he could do pushups too (butt in air, lol) and the other climbing on my back and asking for a drink.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I have to go to the back of the house and do yoga in our bedroom. It's not ideal as the thick carpet makes balances even more unsteady than normal - another reason to concentrate on strength.  There isn't really enough space, but I work around it.  There's more room elsewhere but either it's within 'aged dog licking face' distance, or the room is unheated (we only heat the rooms we use).  By the way, mention of puppies requires pictures of puppies...

The only way I can get it done is to announce to Husband in advance that it's happening, arrange that he is cooking (we split cooking duties), and treat it like a class time.  Vaguely intending to do some yoga never works.

There is snow on the mountains, but at close-to-sea-level where we are, we have only had freezing temperatures, cold rain, a bit of sleet and some hail.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I have to go to the back of the house and do yoga in our bedroom. It's not ideal as the thick carpet makes balances even more unsteady than normal - another reason to concentrate on strength.  There isn't really enough space, but I work around it.  There's more room elsewhere but either it's within 'aged dog licking face' distance, or the room is unheated (we only heat the rooms we use).  By the way, mention of puppies requires pictures of puppies...

The only way I can get it done is to announce to Husband in advance that it's happening, arrange that he is cooking (we split cooking duties), and treat it like a class time.  Vaguely intending to do some yoga never works.

There is snow on the mountains, but at close-to-sea-level where we are, we have only had freezing temperatures, cold rain, a bit of sleet and some hail.

I have sustained some painful injuries doing yoga moves in my bedroom where there is no space! 😨

• Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

He was clearly underfoot while icing Christmas cookies last winter more than I had noticed:

IMG_20181209_143942_584.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1