Menu

What's with the ads?

soror

November Well-Trained Bodies

Got to the gym 3 days last week, which I think is going to be my new normal. Four is getting hard to pull off. Anyhow, I'm SO SORE from Yoga yesterday. Good sore, but wow, I didn't expect that.

Last weekend was my anniversary and I went off the rails food wise. In consequence, I gained 2 pounds in 3 days. I'm floating at the same weight I always get stuck at-143. Shrug.

Goals for next week: 3 days at the gym. Good eating until Thursday/Friday.

• Like 4

Lifting done, great session and glad I tried some of those exercises in a quiet gym b/c it took a little practice. Headed for a much needed nap, sleepover guests are gone and girls are at Grandma's, silence...ahhh....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

This is so exciting! Just be smart with your training as you approach your black belt test. You want to be injury-free and prepared, but injury-free is the top priority. I don't want to be a "Eeyore" type, but I knew so many adults that got injured on the road to their bb tests. It's so easy to do, and the time it takes to recover is just too long. These next 5 months will go by so quickly. 

Yes I've been terrified of getting hurt before the test ever since I actually witnessed it happen a couple months ago--a guy about my age was participating in his kids' color belt test right before taking his black belt test...he fell weirdly and messed up his knee pretty badly.  He's back in class now, but still no black belt.  Yikes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I get to play in my indoor competitive league this evening with my regular ladies partner. I'm really looking forward to it! It's also sunny and pretty warm outside, so I'll fit in at least one walk. 

Other than that, I have my physio stretches and strengthening exercises to do. I finally busted open my tension band to do my strength stuff yesterday. It really humbles the self-concept when a little rubber band can be so hard on the muscles that are weak. 😕

Good luck at your game. Ya, for strength work.

4 hours ago, sassenach said:

Got to the gym 3 days last week, which I think is going to be my new normal. Four is getting hard to pull off. Anyhow, I'm SO SORE from Yoga yesterday. Good sore, but wow, I didn't expect that.

Last weekend was my anniversary and I went off the rails food wise. In consequence, I gained 2 pounds in 3 days. I'm floating at the same weight I always get stuck at-143. Shrug.

Goals for next week: 3 days at the gym. Good eating until Thursday/Friday.

Happy belated anniversary. And WTG adjusting your goals to work for you.

57 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yes I've been terrified of getting hurt before the test ever since I actually witnessed it happen a couple months ago--a guy about my age was participating in his kids' color belt test right before taking his black belt test...he fell weirdly and messed up his knee pretty badly.  He's back in class now, but still no black belt.  Yikes.

Getting older is scary, fingers crossed you stay injury free until testing and beyond.

• Like 2

Managed my strength yoga. This routine includes flamingo with twist, which is just crazy talk. It's chair pose twist but then you tuck one leg up to your buttock.  It's at 25:45 here:https://youtu.be/9kOCY0KNByw. I give it a go, then fall over.

I did Wheel for the first time in ages, and also enjoyed Crow.

Pop up dinner was a nice social occasion, with shared long tables. The food was good but not spectacular.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Managed my strength yoga. This routine includes flamingo with twist, which is just crazy talk. It's chair pose twist but then you tuck one leg up to your buttock.  It's at 25:45 here:https://youtu.be/9kOCY0KNByw. I give it a go, then fall over.

Pop up dinner was a nice social occasion, with shared long tables. The food was good but not spectacular.

Wheel pose looks like a back bend, which I have not done since I was probably 12. You can do Crow pose? That is worth bragging about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Wheel pose looks like a back bend, which I have not done since I was probably 12. You can do Crow pose? That is worth bragging about.

Yes, a back bend. There's a trick to getting up there - it's easier if you place your hands wide. I can only do Crow for a few seconds - I seem to have the strength but the balance is tricky.

• Like 1

Tennis last night was fun - at least the ladies doubles. Dh and I didn't gel too well, unfortunately.  

Yesterday afternoon I happened to be downtown and went into the mall. Somehow I ended up in the Ted Baker store and even tried on a couple dresses. This is very unlike me. I hate wearing dresses. I saw the gress dress that Amanda Holden was wearing in a photo I saw yesterday (just google her name to see the dress/photo), and thought it would be really cool to see what it looked like on me. My ribs really widened with my 4 pregnancies, so I looked like a football player (or rugby) through the chest. I loved how the sales lady said I looked gorgeous, though. 😂  I did not buy the dress. The shoes she loaned me to wear with the dress were so high I thought I was doing ballet on pointe. Interesting experience! I'll stick with my beloved Irish knit sweater, jeans and stable boots. 😉 This is my idea of a "put together" look. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 4:22 PM, Laura Corin said:

You are really gaining some strength and balance. I can't remember doing the flamingo twist, that was a fun challenge. I fell the first time. My wheel is weak, my shoulder flexibility is not very good.I should practice it as it would improve but I hate it so. 

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

Tennis last night was fun - at least the ladies doubles. Dh and I didn't gel too well, unfortunately.  

Yesterday afternoon I happened to be downtown and went into the mall. Somehow I ended up in the Ted Baker store and even tried on a couple dresses. This is very unlike me. I hate wearing dresses. I saw the gress dress that Amanda Holden was wearing in a photo I saw yesterday (just google her name to see the dress/photo), and thought it would be really cool to see what it looked like on me. My ribs really widened with my 4 pregnancies, so I looked like a football player (or rugby) through the chest. I loved how the sales lady said I looked gorgeous, though. 😂  I did not buy the dress. The shoes she loaned me to wear with the dress were so high I thought I was doing ballet on pointe. Interesting experience! I'll stick with my beloved Irish knit sweater, jeans and stable boots. 😉 This is my idea of a "put together" look. 

At least you had fun at tennis. Too bad there weren't pics of this dress!!!

I was exhausted yesterday, period starting and stressed out. I broke my 10k streak and ended with 3.5k steps. Still feel icky and exhausted today. We'll see how today goes.

Fight Club & Core planned and some walk at the trail ds is working at the local trail for his Eagle project.

I'm going to try something new for food as you know I've been having a hard time staying in a good groove with eating. Partially due to my messed up sleep for sure and hormones that aren't quite sure what they are doing but I'm getting annoyed. So, I'm going to try something new. Precision Nutrition has a nutrition calculator, you put in activity level, size, exercise, preferred diet, and macro ratios and it tells you how many of each portions to eat each day. No weighing or measuring but using hand size measurements as a guideline and a checklist for each day- for example- 5 palm size servings of protein, 6 fists of veggies, 6 thumbs of fats, etc. I am hoping to even out my day to day intake but have no desire to go back to strictly counting anything. I prefer to stick to intuitive eating but right now my appetite has been wonky and I'm hoping that adding a hair of structure will get it lined back out, we'll see. Checklists are simple, it is also helps to ensure I'm getting in my fruits and veggies, which is always good. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Oh, I did make this yesterday- heavily modified.

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/roasted-butternut-squash-and-cauliflower-salad-with-lemon-honey-vinaigrette/#tasty-recipes-10524

For garnish I just used toasted pecans and carmelized onions(no raisins, cheese, walnuts etc). I just used 2 TBSP of the dressing on the whole bowl and didn't feel it needed anymore for serving, we'll see today. I only had kale so used the full amount in kale. I bet it would be scrumptious as a grain salad too, add in some brown rice or quinoa. The dressing is delicious, I'll use the leftover for salads. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

I'm going to try something new for food as you know I've been having a hard time staying in a good groove with eating. Partially due to my messed up sleep for sure and hormones that aren't quite sure what they are doing but I'm getting annoyed. So, I'm going to try something new. Precision Nutrition has a nutrition calculator, you put in activity level, size, exercise, preferred diet, and macro ratios and it tells you how many of each portions to eat each day. No weighing or measuring but using hand size measurements as a guideline and a checklist for each day- for example- 5 palm size servings of protein, 6 fists of veggies, 6 thumbs of fats, etc. I am hoping to even out my day to day intake but have no desire to go back to strictly counting anything. I prefer to stick to intuitive eating but right now my appetite has been wonky and I'm hoping that adding a hair of structure will get it lined back out, we'll see. Checklists are simple, it is also helps to ensure I'm getting in my fruits and veggies, which is always good. 

I love how Precision Nutrition does things.  I think this is a great idea.  Nerd Fitness has a poster-type visual aid using the hand-size portion thing as a guide for each meal--I have it on my fridge right now. 

• Like 1

Got some marital arts practice planned for this morning, but I'm procrastinating because it's still under 40 degrees outside.  Painful for this Florida girl!!  CKD class tonight.

So I have had an egg intolerance for the last 3ish years...back when my youngest was a toddler, he brought stomach flu home from church nursery 3 times in 4 months, and of course I caught it every time.  While I was sick back to back to back like that, often the only thing I could eat was scrambled eggs.  According to my nurse practitioner, it's really common to develop a new intolerance to a high-allergen food when the digestive tract is irritated like that (who knew?!), and that's exactly what happened.  Egg, especially low-heat versions like scrambled, makes me have severe upper GI pain, chills, sweating, and headache.  Back then I laid off eggs for 6 weeks, then tried again and still had the intolerance.  No eggs 1 year, tried again, still no good.  But recently I have had no problems with eggs in baked goods in small amounts, so I decided to try one more time.  2 days ago I had a dime-sized piece of scrambled egg, yesterday a quarter sized piece.  Just now I had half a fried egg.  FINGERS CROSSED.  If I don't have any problems with this, I think it's safe to venture back into egg eating.  Y'all, it would be sooooo amazing to just be able to whip up a nice omelette with spinach and feta.  Or put boiled egg on my salad.  And such a cheaper source of protein!  I'll do the happy dance if I make it through the morning with no problems!!! 

Man, that half a fried egg tasted so good this morning.  I'm actually pretty optimistic...it's been 20 mins and nothing.  Last time I had egg by itself, I didn't make it through the serving without pain and chills/sweating.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I love how Precision Nutrition does things.  I think this is a great idea.  Nerd Fitness has a poster-type visual aid using the hand-size portion thing as a guide for each meal--I have it on my fridge right now. 

Yes, it is along the same guidelines, PN just has a calculator to figure out how many of those servings you need as an individual.

Fight Club and Core done, fight club felt pretty easy today, core felt very hard. They upped the level on some of the moves and I was not feeling strong anyway but I got it done.

toast with almond butter before; greek yogurt (whole) w/ 1/4 c. homemade granola and 1 cup blueberries for breakfast

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Got some marital arts practice planned for this morning, but I'm procrastinating because it's still under 40 degrees outside.

Good luck with your 'marital arts practice'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Gorgeous

Yes, but the price is way out of my league. I love the write up in the little article about Amanda Holden and the dress, "affordable" was the word. 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yes, but the price is way out of my league. I love the write up in the little article about Amanda Holden and the dress, "affordable" was the word. 😂

Yes, way out of my league too. And I'd never wear it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes, way out of my league too. And I'd never wear it.

This is more my style. I wear it almost every day. So warm and cozy this time of year!

Super Soft Aran Roll Neck Sweater - Dusty Pink

• Like 2

I've downloaded my Precision Nutrition guide too.  I chose vegetarian (because I eat very little meat) and body recomposition because I want to be working towards strength. It looks more or less how I eat anyway, but maybe with slightly larger protein servings.  I'll have more of a look later.

Yesterday I walked with a friend at lunchtime then went to yoga after work.  I got home and Hobbes wasn't feeling well so hadn't walked the dog.  Husband is incapacitated by (possibly) gout plus having fallen off a short ladder and gashed his shin.  So I walked the dog in the pouring rain after supper.  13,000 very grumpy steps in all.

Today, the dog is in my car at work, so I'll get lots of steps in walking her.  I'll try to do a strength yoga session at home while Husband cooks this evening.

I made another loaf of life-changing bread last night, and have the last slice of my previous loaf for my lunch today (plus mediterranean grilled veg, a sprinkling of parmesan, flax seed oil and steamed green beans).  It's an easy intense protein/fibre hit for lunches.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

This is more my style. I wear it almost every day. So warm and cozy this time of year!

Super Soft Aran Roll Neck Sweater - Dusty Pink

Very pretty.  When I'm not at work, I'm either dressed for gardening, walking or yoga.  So mostly fleeces, flannels and leggings.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Very pretty.  When I'm not at work, I'm either dressed for gardening, walking or yoga.  So mostly fleeces, flannels and leggings.

All these clothes are so cozy!  When I'm not wearing workout clothes or my dobok for class, it's jersey skirts and tank tops all day, every day!  Wintertime means I add a cardigan ☀️🌡️🕶️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

All these clothes are so cozy!  When I'm not wearing workout clothes or my dobok for class, it's jersey skirts and tank tops all day, every day!  Wintertime means I add a cardigan ☀️🌡️🕶️

Home clothes in winter: Smartwool socks, fluffy slippers, fleece-lined trousers, camisole, flannel shirt, fleece, down vest as necessary, and polar fleece throw.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Home clothes in winter: Smartwool socks, fluffy slippers, fleece-lined trousers, camisole, flannel shirt, fleece, down vest as necessary, and polar fleece throw.

Lawd, somebody fan me, I'm sweating over here!  😆 

Nah, I'm just jealous because it all sounds so cozy-comfy!

• Like 2

So yesterday before my workout, I discovered my headphones were no longer syncing to my phone, so no pump-up music for me.  Boo.  All I got to listen to was the unnerving crackle and pop of my knees!  I couldn't believe how crackly my knees were!  Wow. 

I had decided I was more in the mood for strength training than CKD drills, so then I was doing chin ups and dropped down funny from the bar and hurt my knee.  Then my elbow started hurting during pushups.  Sigh.  I decided to take a few days off except for tonight's CKD class.  My 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge starts Friday and I would rather be at full strength to kick that off than nursing aches and pains.

I think the reason I've been having joint issues is that my volume has increased so much doing drop sets.  They seem to be great for muscle gain, but the many-fold increase in reps seem to hurt my joints.  I have the same issue with plyometric movements.  Jump squats skill my knees, explosive pushups kill my elbows.  I think I need to dredge up the money from somewhere to buy heavier weights and stick with lower volume rep scheme rather than using drop sets or plyo to milk as much progress as I can out of the weights I currently have.  I imagine it will help, too, that I will be more martial arts focused after Christmas.  CKD is designed to be easy on joints.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

So yesterday before my workout, I discovered my headphones were no longer syncing to my phone, so no pump-up music for me.  Boo.  All I got to listen to was the unnerving crackle and pop of my knees!  I couldn't believe how crackly my knees were!  Wow. 

I had decided I was more in the mood for strength training than CKD drills, so then I was doing chin ups and dropped down funny from the bar and hurt my knee.  Then my elbow started hurting during pushups.  Sigh.  I decided to take a few days off except for tonight's CKD class.  My 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge starts Friday and I would rather be at full strength to kick that off than nursing aches and pains.

I think the reason I've been having joint issues is that my volume has increased so much doing drop sets.  They seem to be great for muscle gain, but the many-fold increase in reps seem to hurt my joints.  I have the same issue with plyometric movements.  Jump squats skill my knees, explosive pushups kill my elbows.  I think I need to dredge up the money from somewhere to buy heavier weights and stick with lower volume rep scheme rather than using drop sets or plyo to milk as much progress as I can out of the weights I currently have.  I imagine it will help, too, that I will be more martial arts focused after Christmas.  CKD is designed to be easy on joints.

My laughing emoji was for the crackle and pop sounds of the knees. I get those same sounds in various joints, too.  Do your knees ever buckle or cause pain going up or down stairs, or sitting in a confined position? Watch out for cartilage issues. Those plyometric movements are meant for young bodies, IME. If you feel any pain in the joints, remove the "explosive" part of the motions.

• Like 1

Looking at the Precision Nutrition guide, it makes a lot of sense. Except that nuts count as fats, whereas I've always used them for protein, with the understanding that you couldn't have too many without overdoing the fats. They aren't actually that high in protein for that amount of fat though, so maybe I should rethink.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Well, better to figure it out before you really hurt yourself. I have to watch volume with strength training too, even though it tempts me. My picky shoulder especially, it is not worth it, I always end up further behind. I can do some plyo moves, although I don't push it as hard as young ones I'm sure. I know some is good for bone strength but we do have to watch for injuries and overdoing it.

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Looking at the Precision Nutrition guide, it makes a lot of sense. Except that nuts count as fats, whereas I've always used them for protein, with the understanding that you couldn't have too many without overdoing the fats. They aren't actually that high in protein for that amount of fat though, so maybe I should rethink.

I know some things are hard because they don't have just one thing but I guess if you are counting this way you have to put it where it makes the most sense, otherwise you are counting things twice. It is a bit different way of looking at it but I like the simplicity. We'll see how it works in the long term. Ideally I want to get back in the groove with eating more even throughout the day and week, and honestly I'd like some body recomp too.

30 min HIIT workout done; Lifting tonight

Yesterday and today both I sweated soooo much, I'm guessing hormones since I just started my period. I'm sure hoping it lightens up pretty soon, I feel gross and hope I don't sweat nearly so much tonight at the gym (I know you are supposed to sweat at the gym but I'm just a mess). 2 showers a day for me I guess.

Last night I tried the extended release melatonin, not sure what I think about it, I did fall back asleep easier when I woke up in the night but I woke up 3x vs once. We'll see how it does tonight. On the plus side I got a hair over 7 hrs, that is 2 days in a row with at least 7 hrs, if I make it 3 days that will be the most I've slept in months. I'm guessing that this is another hormonal issue since my thyroid levels were just tested this fall and I've been on the same dose. I wanted to get hormones tested but the clinic has changed hands and it is a big ordeal, maybe I can get it done in spring.

• Like 2

Lifting at the gym, plenty of sweat but not quite as bad as the am. Felt pretty good and strong. Today's workout was:

-landmine deadlifts;

pullups from the box with negatives

hanging leg lifts

bent over dumbbell rows

farmer carry

Incline IYT (very light weights) face forward on the incline bench to work on shoulder retraction/protraction

• Like 2

I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon, but I ended up driving and grocery shopping. I was also exhausted from 2 nights in a row of poor sleep. Feeling better now after a relaxing evening.

I posted a thread that I may have an opportunity to move to Colorado Springs for a couple years. It would be so cool to hike, ski, etc. in the mountains. I would definitely take up downhill skiing again, if I could find an affordable option. The hills around here are so small, which is why I stick to skate skiing. Anyway, it's an exciting prospect, and the dc are on-board for an adventure. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I wanted to go for a walk this afternoon, but I ended up driving and grocery shopping. I was also exhausted from 2 nights in a row of poor sleep. Feeling better now after a relaxing evening.

I posted a thread that I may have an opportunity to move to Colorado Springs for a couple years. It would be so cool to hike, ski, etc. in the mountains. I would definitely take up downhill skiing again, if I could find an affordable option. The hills around here are so small, which is why I stick to skate skiing. Anyway, it's an exciting prospect, and the dc are on-board for an adventure. 

Having mountains to hike would be a dream come true for me!  It's literally my favorite thing to do in the whole world.  What an adventure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, soror said:

Lifting at the gym, plenty of sweat but not quite as bad as the am. Felt pretty good and strong. Today's workout was:

-landmine deadlifts;

pullups from the box with negatives

hanging leg lifts

bent over dumbbell rows

farmer carry

Incline IYT (very light weights) face forward on the incline bench to work on shoulder retraction/protraction

I'm so glad you were feeling strong for your workout!  I'm jealous--I want to do all those gymmy things you do like landmines and tire flips.  What do you think of farmer carry?  Everyone says it's a super effective move and I'm wondering if it's worth it to rig up a way to do it at home.

• Like 3

CKD class last night was truly great.  My fav instructor was there, and he spent a huge chunk of time working with me on a technical problem I'm having that is really messing me up.  Now I feel like I have the tools I need to practice at home to get rid of this bad habit, yay!  I had been very unmotivated to practice bc I didn't know how to fix it.

Today's activity: cooking all morning, yard work all afternoon.  I foresee collapsing on the couch by about 8 tonight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

CKD class last night was truly great.  My fav instructor was there, and he spent a huge chunk of time working with me on a technical problem I'm having that is really messing me up.  Now I feel like I have the tools I need to practice at home to get rid of this bad habit, yay!  I had been very unmotivated to practice bc I didn't know how to fix it.

Today's activity: cooking all morning, yard work all afternoon.  I foresee collapsing on the couch by about 8 tonight!

That is wonderful you've had the opportunity to go deeply into the movements to really understand what needs to be done. It's a great feeling. It's excellent that this instructor had the time and experience to provide this! The timing is perfect, as well. You will have a few months to work on it and gain the skill and confidence needed for the big black belt test.  

Holiday preparation is exhausting. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, soror said:

Last night I tried the extended release melatonin, not sure what I think about it, I did fall back asleep easier when I woke up in the night but I woke up 3x vs once. We'll see how it does tonight. On the plus side I got a hair over 7 hrs, that is 2 days in a row with at least 7 hrs, if I make it 3 days that will be the most I've slept in months. I'm guessing that this is another hormonal issue since my thyroid levels were just tested this fall and I've been on the same dose. I wanted to get hormones tested but the clinic has changed hands and it is a big ordeal, maybe I can get it done in spring.

So glad you have been able to get some much needed sleep. That must be really tough to deal with chronic lack of sleep. Hormones are the worst! I'm beginning to suspect than most of my issues are hormone related. It's extremely frustrating. 

Hope the new melatonin provides you some relief.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

I'm so glad you were feeling strong for your workout!  I'm jealous--I want to do all those gymmy things you do like landmines and tire flips.  What do you think of farmer carry?  Everyone says it's a super effective move and I'm wondering if it's worth it to rig up a way to do it at home.

It would be easy to do as long as you have heavy enough weights. I do them holding 45# in each hand(some of the weights have open holes on the side)

19 minutes ago, wintermom said:

So glad you have been able to get some much needed sleep. That must be really tough to deal with chronic lack of sleep. Hormones are the worst! I'm beginning to suspect than most of my issues are hormone related. It's extremely frustrating. 

Hope the new melatonin provides you some relief.

It is entirely unfair that us women have to deal with so many hormonal issues, wonkyness getting your period, wonkyness when it stops, then the joy of PMS and pregnancy.

4 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

That is very exciting, now you can work to ingrain new good habits.

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

I understand the not sleeping, I hope tonight is better for you. That is a very exciting opportunity, but I find change scary too.

I did not make 7 hrs in a row for 3 days, 6 hr 45 min, so close. The wind was really up last night and then dh had to get up before me, which woke me up, but not a horrible night of sleep(that of course is relative).

I had a last minute class cancellation this am so I did my yoga/stretching already- 20 min- also up for today is a 30 min lower body workout. That will be after some toast and nut butter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

It would be easy to do as long as you have heavy enough weights. I do them holding 45# in each hand(some of the weights have open holes on the side)

It is entirely unfair that us women have to deal with so many hormonal issues, wonkyness getting your period, wonkyness when it stops, then the joy of PMS and pregnancy.

That is very exciting, now you can work to ingrain new good habits.

I understand the not sleeping, I hope tonight is better for you. That is a very exciting opportunity, but I find change scary too.

I did not make 7 hrs in a row for 3 days, 6 hr 45 min, so close. The wind was really up last night and then dh had to get up before me, which woke me up, but not a horrible night of sleep(that of course is relative).

I had a last minute class cancellation this am so I did my yoga/stretching already- 20 min- also up for today is a 30 min lower body workout. That will be after some toast and nut butter.

I'd gladly take 6+ hours right now! Those 15 minutes could have been a bad dream, so you dodged that potential bullet. 😉

I agree 100% about the unfairness of women''s health. In fact, I may pursue this as a course of study/exploration. I'm going through so many frustrations currently because:

a) I'm a woman in her 50s (easy to discount, assume issues are hormone/age related, and it's difficult to discover what are the causes of an issue when symptoms could be caused by a wide range of things),

b) I work in the health field (people assume I am imagining my symptoms - sometimes I feel like I am, too!),

c) people assume my issues are part of a mental illness/anxiety/stress and it takes a lot of pushing to keep looking for actual physical issues (I frequently find the solution these myself),

d) there is a lack of health research on women in general,

e) the health care system, especially urgent care,  is severely flawed as the primary goal is to avoid someone dying, rather than discovering what is actually wrong and referring the patient to appropriate care,

f) all of the above problems seem to be common to so many women my age, and there isn't one single health agency to go to for access of "Women's Health Issues." We have to track down all kinds of health specialties and try to find one that fits. So easy to fall through the cracks and end up with no solutions at all.

Ok ladies, rant over. If you have similar frustrations or have found any solutions, please let me know! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'd gladly take 6+ hours right now! Those 15 minutes could have been a bad dream, so you dodged that potential bullet. 😉

I agree 100% about the unfairness of women''s health. In fact, I may pursue this as a course of study/exploration. I'm going through so many frustrations currently because:

a) I'm a woman in her 50s (easy to discount, assume issues are hormone/age related, and it's difficult to discover what are the causes of an issue when symptoms could be caused by a wide range of things),

b) I work in the health field (people assume I am imagining my symptoms - sometimes I feel like I am, too!),

c) people assume my issues are part of a mental illness/anxiety/stress and it takes a lot of pushing to keep looking for actual physical issues (I frequently find the solution these myself),

d) there is a lack of health research on women in general,

e) the health care system, especially urgent care,  is severely flawed as the primary goal is to avoid someone dying, rather than discovering what is actually wrong and referring the patient to appropriate care,

f) all of the above problems seem to be common to so many women my age, and there isn't one single health agency to go to for access of "Women's Health Issues." We have to track down all kinds of health specialties and try to find one that fits. So easy to fall through the cracks and end up with no solutions at all.

Ok ladies, rant over. If you have similar frustrations or have found any solutions, please let me know! 

You are preaching to the choir! Amen. There is a paucity of research into ALL women's health issues, even more so for women in later life. I like to follow Dr.Sims because she is working to push women's research to the forefront, both in conducting research, encouraging fairness in research and getting the results out there that are relevant to us women. I read an article last week about women's health research, they've done studies for women and they did them on men, seriously, you can't make it up. There are more questions than answers and we just have to keep pushing(to be listened to, for testing, for treatment and for research) and listening to our body. I had to drive to the city for my dr, there is one around here that is so-so but so-so is not good enough when it comes to treatment of my thyroid disease and long term health.

I did my lower body workout today, sweating not quite as bad but then again it was not as high intensity.

Had a superhero muffin before workout(almond meal, oats, pumpkin, and honey to sweeten (but reduced the amount which was not overly sweet to begin with); after workout I had 4 oz 93% lean turkey made into homemade breakfast sausage, small handful roasted potatoes, w/ kale and purple onion

I think I'll take a short walk this am, then it is cleaning house and some cooking. I bought some gf ginger snaps to use as crusts for these mini cheesecake bites, trying to decide how many to make for me 🙂 I do want to indulge some tomorrow, obviously, but I want to only indulge as much as I can enjoy it. YOu know you eat too much and you just feel miserable and that is not worth it. I also don't want to go too carb heavy b/c that makes me feel yucky too. I may or may not work out, I'm going to play it by ear and see how much time I have in the am, we'll be busy from lunch until bed time.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soror said:

You are preaching to the choir! Amen. There is a paucity of research into ALL women's health issues, even more so for women in later life. I like to follow Dr.Sims because she is working to push women's research to the forefront, both in conducting research, encouraging fairness in research and getting the results out there that are relevant to us women. I read an article last week about women's health research, they've done studies for women and they did them on men, seriously, you can't make it up. There are more questions than answers and we just have to keep pushing(to be listened to, for testing, for treatment and for research) and listening to our body. I had to drive to the city for my dr, there is one around here that is so-so but so-so is not good enough when it comes to treatment of my thyroid disease and long term health.

Do you have a link I could start reading up on her? There are probably a ton of "Dr. Sims" out there, and I could spend all day trying to find her. 😉

• Like 1

Hi all, should be baking pies, but I'm procrastinating productively by finally checking in here! 😄

On 11/18/2019 at 8:08 AM, wintermom said:

I love this, too!! When I would build up my push-up capacity for my black belt tests in Taekwon-Do, I'd get serious pipes. We had to do 250 push-ups. I'm not a fan of push-ups, so I never maintained this level for longer than I needed to for the test. 

I've been enjoying all the CKD and martial arts posts.  I've only tried martial arts once, waaay back in my first year of college I joined the karate club - it was Shotokan style.  I loved it, and it's probably the fittest I've been till, well, now.  I got all toned, and we had to do things like ridiculous amounts of push-ups (I'm happy now I can do like 15!), and front kicks with someone standing on your shoulders.  But then we got into sparring, and honestly, having some huge guy trying to kick me - I don't care how many blocks I'd learned; that terrified me.  Didn't go back the next year.  Guess I'm a wimp!  But it did give me my first taste idea of how good it felt to be fit and toned (I was always a PE disaster in school), so that was huge.

On 11/19/2019 at 9:30 PM, soror said:

I'm annoyed with the resting heart rate. It went up with the flonase and then went down 10 bpm after going off and I thought that was due to more cardio work and wearing it through bedtime but now it has been going back up. I don't get it. My endurance is improving. I'm tolerating higher heart rates. Pfft. I don't know if it is related to my sleep not being good.

Now that I've had my fitbit for a few months, I've noticed that my resting HR makes some fairly big swings, which has surprised me.  Is that just me?  It's like my weight, which can vary by as much as 2-3 lbs from day to day.  It's been as low as 49bpm (but that was an outlier, usually the low's been around 53), and as high as 63bpm, and it seems to go up bit by bit, then down bit by bit (not huge swings day to day, but inching up, then inching back down).  This range of 10bpm up and down - anyone know if this is a thing, or am I weird?

I'm trying something new for sleep tonight, fingers crossed.

Hope your sleep gets better!  Mine's been a bit crappy lately - I haven't had a sleep score over 75 in a couple of weeks...  I don't tend to need a ton of sleep, but at least 6.5 hrs a night would be good.  My fitbit has relayed the unfortunate truth that even if I am physically lying on my bed for that long, that is not necessarily the amount of sleep I've gotten.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, wintermom said:

Is your focus on HR during exercise and at rest something that your physician has recommended you do?  I have heard of studies where researchers used heart rate was as an indicator to help athletes returning to exercise post-concussion measure when the speed of their walking/running on the treadmill is within their "safe zone." 

What sort of system are you using to see if changes in your HR are significant (meaningful) and are changing due to exercise?

That book Spark talks a lot about using HR to figure out your level of effort during exercise, and what you should be trying for.  This is also the basis for the OT workouts - you're supposed to aim for 12-20 minutes (of a 1-hr workout) in the orange (84-91% of maxHR) and red zones (92-100% of maxHR)  - I tend to get a lot more than that, even after adjusting my max HR up over 10bmp from the 'standard formula'.  But I have seen a huge improvement from when I started a bit over a year ago.  My HR used to skyrocket right up and stay there - I was getting something like 50+ min in those two zones.  Now it goes up more evenly, and comes back down much, much more quickly (variability in HR is a sign of good heart health).  I'm still getting 25-35 min, but I'm happy with that.

I didn't get my fitbit till I'd been going to OT for 10 months or so, so I don't know what my resting heart rate was when I started...  but how it works and responds during a workout is a huge, huge improvement.  The fitbit also measures zones -  fat burn, cardio, and peak, which are set a bit differently - cardio is 70-84% of maxHR and peak is 85-100% - so really just its peak is the orange/red from OT.   I have noticed that my fitbit does seem to calculate my HR a bit lower than my OT HR monitor during a workout (so a bit less time in the orange/red/peak zones) - but I trust the OT one a bit more.  I did override my fitbit on my calculated maxHR so it's consistent with the OT one.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2019 at 7:31 PM, KathyBC said:

In thinking about this today, I am really impressed by the amount of time so many posters spend on fitness each day, while doing full time work. I'm hoping your time management and commitment level rub off on me.

Hehe - I am not working even close to full time!  My kids are grown and while they still manage to need me even though they're away at school, I still have a lot of free time on my hands these days!  I was supposed to be doing more classes/tutoring this fall, but a bunch of it didn't end up coming together; need to start drumming up more business!

On 11/18/2019 at 11:57 AM, Laura Corin said:

I also have a different sense of urgency now.  I am more and more aware that I need to keep on top of my health and fitness: I don't heal as quickly as before, and I lose fitness quicker.  I have to make decent habits habitual.

So much this!

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 5:22 PM, Laura Corin said:

Of those three, I'm actually most successful with flamingo twist - I had to try, and looks like I can hold it (with a bit of wobbling) for about 8 secs before falling over!  Crow is more like half a second, if you expect me to actually balance with my feet off the floor...  and Wheel/a backbend?  I used to be able to do one from the floor when I was very young, but that ship has long sailed, and I've never been able to do one by bending over backward (too scary!!).  But I can bend my back all the way over and put my hands on the floor if I have a big exercise ball to help!  That's even fun - so flexibility is not the problem.  But that's probably big-time cheating.  I tried your 'trick' of putting my hands farther apart, and I was able to lift a little bit off the floor, but not close to all the way up.  I'm pretty strong right now, so I'm not sure where the problem lies.  

Do you do the same yoga routine all the time, or cycle through different ones?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Hi all, should be baking pies, but I'm procrastinating productively by finally checking in here! 😄

I've been enjoying all the CKD and martial arts posts.  I've only tried martial arts once, waaay back in my first year of college I joined the karate club - it was Shotokan style.  I loved it, and it's probably the fittest I've been till, well, now.  I got all toned, and we had to do things like ridiculous amounts of push-ups (I'm happy now I can do like 15!), and front kicks with someone standing on your shoulders.  But then we got into sparring, and honestly, having some huge guy trying to kick me - I don't care how many blocks I'd learned; that terrified me.  Didn't go back the next year.  Guess I'm a wimp!  But it did give me my first taste idea of how good it felt to be fit and toned (I was always a PE disaster in school), so that was huge.

Thanks for checking in between pies!

I am so sorry that you had to experience being kicked by a large guy in your first experience. That never should have happened with a beginner. Inexperienced instructor, would be my first thought. Of course it's scary! Rightly so. It's even worse if the man was also a beginner. He would have had no idea about how to control his kicks. 

You were not a wimp. You were very smart to get out of that kind of training environment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Of those three, I'm actually most successful with flamingo twist...

Do you do the same yoga routine all the time, or cycle through different ones?

I can't work out how to shift my weight to lift my foot off the floor for the flamingo. I think I need to work on it outside of the routine.

At the moment I'm just working on three routines, trying to build strength.

Made a smoothie with spinach, blueberries, silken tofu, vanilla and oat milk to have mid morning. I liked it.

I think I pretty much hit my Precision Nutrition targets for the day. I wasn't counting oil, but it was around five fists of veg, two of fruit, five palms of protein and two hands full of whole grain.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Thanks for checking in between pies!

I am so sorry that you had to experience being kicked by a large guy in your first experience. That never should have happened with a beginner. Inexperienced instructor, would be my first thought. Of course it's scary! Rightly so. It's even worse if the man was also a beginner. He would have had no idea about how to control his kicks. 

You were not a wimp. You were very smart to get out of that kind of training environment.

Well, he didn't actually connect/kick me, but with the sparring we were supposed to be throwing punches and kicks at each other (though I think they were meant to, and did, fall short of being close enough to hit someone's head), but even if I could/did manage to deflect them, it still scared me.  And you're right I didn't completely trust that the other person was good enough to control their own punches/kicks, as we were all beginners.  If it had been all people my own size I think I might have handled it.  But a big guy - I just wasn't confident that in the process of deflecting I wouldn't break my arm or something.  I know the whole point with martial arts is that you can, with proper technique, overcome (or at least not be taken down by) a larger/stronger person, but my brain just wouldn't believe it!  All sorts of flight (not fight) bells went off in my head, lol! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Okay, I did a double-length (for me, LOL) workout today and will consider my goal met. Company arrives soon and will be here the rest of the month. Thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 4

Not much exercise today. Did a little shopping with ds and the black lab. Then carried around my groceries for some upper body work. Lots of driving the family around this evening. I'm wiped! 😉  It was raining all day, too. I hope the sun returns tomorrow!

I made risotto for dinner tonight. My first time trying it, and it was a success! I bought a bottle of white wine so I can make more soon and have all the ingredients in the recipe (I had to substitute water for wine). It still tasted ok, but I think it will be that much better with wine!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

Not much exercise today. Did a little shopping with ds and the black lab. Then carried around my groceries for some upper body work. Lots of driving the family around this evening. I'm wiped! 😉  It was raining all day, too. I hope the sun returns tomorrow!

I made risotto for dinner tonight. My first time trying it, and it was a success! I bought a bottle of white wine so I can make more soon and have all the ingredients in the recipe (I had to substitute water for wine). It still tasted ok, but I think it will be that much better with wine!

Yum! I've only made Risotto a couple of times and it was good. No sun here either, we miss it!

11 hours ago, whitehawk said:

Okay, I did a double-length (for me, LOL) workout today and will consider my goal met. Company arrives soon and will be here the rest of the month. Thanks for the encouragement!

Congrats on meeting your goal!

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I can't work out how to shift my weight to lift my foot off the floor for the flamingo. I think I need to work on it outside of the routine.

At the moment I'm just working on three routines, trying to build strength.

Made a smoothie with spinach, blueberries, silken tofu, vanilla and oat milk to have mid morning. I liked it.

I think I pretty much hit my Precision Nutrition targets for the day. I wasn't counting oil, but it was around five fists of veg, two of fruit, five palms of protein and two hands full of whole grain.

I've been hitting targets too, Tuesday I did have an extra serving of fat and yesterday I was 1 shy on fat and carbs. Today I expect I'll be over but that is ok.

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Now that I've had my fitbit for a few months, I've noticed that my resting HR makes some fairly big swings, which has surprised me.  Is that just me?  It's like my weight, which can vary by as much as 2-3 lbs from day to day.  It's been as low as 49bpm (but that was an outlier, usually the low's been around 53), and as high as 63bpm, and it seems to go up bit by bit, then down bit by bit (not huge swings day to day, but inching up, then inching back down).  This range of 10bpm up and down - anyone know if this is a thing, or am I weird?

Hope your sleep gets better!  Mine's been a bit crappy lately - I haven't had a sleep score over 75 in a couple of weeks...  I don't tend to need a ton of sleep, but at least 6.5 hrs a night would be good.  My fitbit has relayed the unfortunate truth that even if I am physically lying on my bed for that long, that is not necessarily the amount of sleep I've gotten.

I've only had my fitbit a few months so I'll be anxious to see how HR fluctuates over time. I only tried TKD 1 time, and we had to practice falling, I hated it. No way I'd want to spar either.

I hear you on the sleep, I hope you get some too. Last few weeks my average score has been 67, 67, and 71. It is not enough. This week I'm currently averaging 74, that feels like heaven compared to previous weeks. I'd love to get up over 80 but I've only hit that once.

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Do you have a link I could start reading up on her? There are probably a ton of "Dr. Sims" out there, and I could spend all day trying to find her. 😉

https://www.facebook.com/drstacysims/ She also has a book called Roar.

Today's plan- upper body strength work. I'm doing my pull-up program but skipping the 2 lower body moves- to cut time and also I did lower body MM yesterday anyway. I'm going to push my usual HIIT workout until tomorrow and double it up with yoga. I will have some indulgences with food and enjoy them. I ended up making myself 2 mini cheesecakes (they are the made in muffin cups), I cut a gf ginger cookie in half for their bases and they are topped with cherry pie filling.

• Like 2

30 min strength work done- 

Now it is time to finish T-giving food and get on with the day.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans and happy Thursday to everyone else 🙂

• Like 3