Menu

Article- How to prevent the midlife weight gain

Soror

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a29490264/midlife-weight-gain-study/?fbclid=IwAR2sNEeSIiHct5dNObdLlI1VUdcRACBXxrqxLoHnSqa7uRMcAdw16vdlNn8

I thought many here would appreciate this article, yes, our bodies change in menopause, as with any other menopausal symptom I'm sure it affects some more than others.

After my last baby weaned it took years for my cycle to line out(could have also been related to the effect of thyroid disease and getting doseages correct) and I thought it was perhaps peri but it seems I'm fairly regular now so maybe I've still got awhile. However,  I like to keep a mind to what is coming so maybe I'm a little more prepared.

Bottomline you will have to eat less, strength training and high-intensity training can help. Strength training is so important anyway as we age, we naturally lose so much muscle mass as we age that we have to work to stem the tide.

• Like 10

Maybe I’ll dig more later, because I’d be more interested in understanding the fat loss vs. general pounds. I don’t lose much overall weight when strength training, but I do have big physical changes. It might not be fair to include my experience with HIIT because I don’t quite go to the height of intensity that I’m told, lol, but basically the same thing; I lose a tiny bit of weight, but change a lot of shape. (And feel great.)

My intellectual brain knows not to focus on the scale, but my emotional brain gets really pushy when I read things that focus on it!

• Like 3

@soror I remember thinking that you have opinions about strength training as women get older. I would be interested to hear them if you have time to share. I do a wee bit of strength training once a week, but I think I could slowly build that to be more effective if I knew what to shoot for.

I've definitely seen the shift that the article is talking about. I eat basically the same, exercise basically the same, I even weigh basically the same, but my middle has gotten fluffier and my clothes are tighter. Sigh. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Maybe I’ll dig more later, because I’d be more interested in understanding the fat loss vs. general pounds. I don’t lose much overall weight when strength training, but I do have big physical changes. It might not be fair to include my experience with HIIT because I don’t quite go to the height of intensity that I’m told, lol, but basically the same thing; I lose a tiny bit of weight, but change a lot of shape. (And feel great.)

My intellectual brain knows not to focus on the scale, but my emotional brain gets really pushy when I read things that focus on it!

I was talking to my doc literally the other day about my weight goals and she told me point blank that if I want to look good and have muscle tone - my clinical ideal weight no longer accurate in her opinion & is not actually ideal or realistic. That if I want to do cosmetic things she can make it work looks wise (to reduce the aging appearance) and will be glad to take my money, but the better thing is to be okay adding 10lbs to my weight bc it will do more for making me look and feel good. My goal is 130/135 and she says I can get it, but it won’t look as good on me as 140/145 and it will be a constant battle to maintain that 130 AND have muscle tone.

antidotally, myself and several friends have taken care of older people somewhat frequently in our lives and will say maintaining the lower ideal weight line is no longer ideal starting at about 55ish in our opinion. We’ve seen many older people, especially women, who with a bit of cushion room would have been better able to handle physical therapy and illness but when a 60 yr old gal comes in with the flu or bc she broke her hip slipping down the step into her house and she at 5’6” and 120lb - she’s likely going to lose 10lb. And she literally doesn’t have it to spare and no muscle tone either.  It just adds one more negative factor to recovery. She’d have been far better off to have 10 or even 20 lbs more weight, preferably muscle, but even not would have been helpful. Otherwise she has no fat stores to work from and no muscle tone to protect and assist those more fragile bones. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, soror said:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a29490264/midlife-weight-gain-study/?fbclid=IwAR2sNEeSIiHct5dNObdLlI1VUdcRACBXxrqxLoHnSqa7uRMcAdw16vdlNn8

I thought many here would appreciate this article, yes, our bodies change in menopause, as with any other menopausal symptom I'm sure it affects some more than others.

After my last baby weaned it took years for my cycle to line out(could have also been related to the effect of thyroid disease and getting doseages correct) and I thought it was perhaps peri but it seems I'm fairly regular now so maybe I've still got awhile. However,  I like to keep a mind to what is coming so maybe I'm a little more prepared.

Bottomline you will have to eat less, strength training and high-intensity training can help. Strength training is so important anyway as we age, we naturally lose so much muscle mass as we age that we have to work to stem the tide.

This is what I'm finding and I'm not even 50 yet. I had to deliberately add weights (scale hasn't budged) to maintain some muscle tone. I have also, like Murphy, seen people age who lack sufficient body fat to handle illness. Somewhere between obese and thin is a happy medium for middle and old age. That's what I'm after.

• Like 3

THe thing about how the weight looks is interesting - I really notice it with actresses, they get to middle age and they clearly have to make maintaining a very low weight a priority, but to me it makes them look old.  I think it was Zsa Zsa Gabor that said women in middle age have to choose between their face and their figure - maintaining a low weight to stay very thin means they will look older in the face, and maintaining a weight that looks younger in the face means they won't have the figure of a very young woman. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Just Kate said:

I’m 43 and have recently lost about 15-20 pounds, which puts me at a good weight for my body type. However, I exercise very little and I don’t do any strength training. Any suggestions for someone just starting out? I really don’t want to join a gym. 

There are so many great workouts for beginners on youtube!  Look up Jessica Smith's channel, Fitness Blender, Hasfit, to the beat (or up to the beat?)... Hasfit and Fitness Blender have their own websites as well where you can search through their beginner workouts.  Leslie Sansone has some walking workouts on youtube, too.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluegoat said:

THe thing about how the weight looks is interesting - I really notice it with actresses, they get to middle age and they clearly have to make maintaining a very low weight a priority, but to me it makes them look old.  I think it was Zsa Zsa Gabor that said women in middle age have to choose between their face and their figure - maintaining a low weight to stay very thin means they will look older in the face, and maintaining a weight that looks younger in the face means they won't have the figure of a very young woman. 

I am struggling with my weight a lot at 51. I am working at being consistent with yoga and strength training, but I also need to work at acceptance. I do notice that a lot of women my age who lose weight and are thinner, they do look older in the face and especially the neck.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Kassia said:

There are so many great workouts for beginners on youtube!  Look up Jessica Smith's channel, Fitness Blender, Haasfit, to the beat (or up to the beat?)... Haasfit and Fitness Blender have their own websites as well where you can search through their beginner workouts.  Leslie Sansone has some walking workouts on youtube, too.  

I adore the Sansone programs. It’s very effective and low stress (both physical and mental).

Also, just walking is effective. Doesn’t have to be a race.  Just walk. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Personally, it seems I lose weight best with increased general activity and lots of walking. Moderate intensity and high intensity cardio increases my appetite. Strength training doesn't seem to have an effect on weight loss but it changes my body much more effectively, besides its other effects. I just 

4 hours ago, SusanC said:

@soror I remember thinking that you have opinions about strength training as women get older. I would be interested to hear them if you have time to share. I do a wee bit of strength training once a week, but I think I could slowly build that to be more effective if I knew what to shoot for.

I've definitely seen the shift that the article is talking about. I eat basically the same, exercise basically the same, I even weigh basically the same, but my middle has gotten fluffier and my clothes are tighter. Sigh. 

Hmm, well, I think it helps personally to find a plan and use that, even more so starting out. Strength training like anything else requires consistency and work. A lot of women are so afraid of bulking up that they don't lift enough to build muscle. It takes a LOT OF work to build muscle and unless you have the hormonal disposition and put in a crapton of work you are not become huge. You can also go with bodyweight programs if that is your preference or even working around the house and garden, it is just that we have so many labor saving devices these days that it doesn't give us the opportunity for building strength it once did. 

You might this article helpful, https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/strength-training-and-hypertrophy-for-women-over-40

There are so many reasons to strength train in some form. Bone health. Fighting muscle loss that comes hard and heavy as we age. Aesthetics. Being able to age well and stay independent. A million more.

A big reason I do it, I like the feeling it gives me. I like feeling like a badass. I'm not a big oly lifter or going for any records but I still get very excited to add weights or complete a move I was unable to do before, it is very empowering.

There are so many good programs out there. I started back lifting weights nearly 2 yrs ago, I started with a basic program Strong Lifts 5x5, not that it is the best or anything, but it focused on a few lifts and was simple plan.

I then moved on to the program in Strong 

I did this and that after that program. Did some from Strong again. Did some from Nia Shanks, her programs are SOOO very simple but solid and she has ones you can get in and get done.

Currently I'm doing The Ultimate Pull-Up Program, melded with Beachbody's Morning Meltdown.

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

I’m 43 and have recently lost about 15-20 pounds, which puts me at a good weight for my body type. However, I exercise very little and I don’t do any strength training. Any suggestions for someone just starting out? I really don’t want to join a gym. 

Nerd Fitness has some great beginner workouts-- https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

So from the hypertrophy article and the linked weight lifting programs, I need to be doing weight lifting more frequently (which will be tricky for a few more years) and probably bump up a size in dumb bells to make some of the moves harder.

What I could use is some kind of compact barbell. I'm not ready to invest in a full size, Olympic one, but trying to keep heavy dumbbells on my shoulders is tricky. Maybe I'll ask Amazon if such a thing exists. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SusanC said:

So from the hypertrophy article and the linked weight lifting programs, I need to be doing weight lifting more frequently (which will be tricky for a few more years) and probably bump up a size in dumb bells to make some of the moves harder.

What I could use is some kind of compact barbell. I'm not ready to invest in a full size, Olympic one, but trying to keep heavy dumbbells on my shoulders is tricky. Maybe I'll ask Amazon if such a thing exists. 

I know a lot of people who use this and are happy with it:  https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Barbell-Tlw-40G-Lite-Workout/dp/B01N58QRNU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm about to be 52. I haven't really had issues with weight. I had a little creep up on me (like 10-15 pounds) over a couple years, but did a Whole 30 earlier this year and dropped it all. I'm around 5'3 and weigh just under 120. I don't really have issues looking older - most people don't think I'm as old as I am, but that could be because I've never really been overweight, so haven't had issues with looser skin or a lot of wrinkles.

I do know that I need to be doing something for strength/muscle tone, and just something besides chasing grandkids, and I'd love some suggestions. I did make note of the ones mentioned above, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

You can do a full body workout with dumbbells easily or do dumbbells and body weight work. You can buy those at Walmart or wherever, sets of 5, 10, and 15 would probably do most everything, at least starting out. Now, if you want to do oly lifts, you need a barbell but there are tons of exercise that don't require them. You don't have to do back squats either, if you have issues with your shoulders and having weight on there are many variations of squats. There are lots of ways to work your muscles, no sense in doing exercises or programs that don't work for you or you don't like. I've not done back squats or deadlifts in ages, just don't want to, and am not using programs that use them. I did bodyweight work for years before starting back to lifting, I only do exercise that I enjoy. At times, I've only worked out at home, times I've done classes and now a mix. 

You can only do what you can do, maybe you can add another session. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, though, any work is better than no work.

You don't have to spend forever doing a workout either. Strong has longer workouts but Nia has some plans you can get done in 30 minutes or so. The main program I'm doing now I can finish in 30 minutes if I'm having a good day and really hustling, when I'm slow it is closer to 45, I lift Tues/Thurs while the kids do TKD so it is not taking time from my schedule. I will then get in a weekend day at home or at the gym, depending. The last 2 weeks I was gone all weekend so I only managed my Tues/Thurs sessions, it is ok, that's life.

The big things is to gain some strength and work on stopping the massive muscle loss that comes with age. There is a quote from a study in Strong that talks about the number of women over 60 that can't even lift 10-15 lbs and the number is staggering. I loaned my copy to mom or I'd look it up. 

1 hour ago, StaceyinLA said:

I'm about to be 52. I haven't really had issues with weight. I had a little creep up on me (like 10-15 pounds) over a couple years, but did a Whole 30 earlier this year and dropped it all. I'm around 5'3 and weigh just under 120. I don't really have issues looking older - most people don't think I'm as old as I am, but that could be because I've never really been overweight, so haven't had issues with looser skin or a lot of wrinkles.

I do know that I need to be doing something for strength/muscle tone, and just something besides chasing grandkids, and I'd love some suggestions. I did make note of the ones mentioned above, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd love them!

Most women don't gain a ton in menopause, 10-15 lbs is the average amount gained. You are one of those like in the study that adjusted your intake to compensate. That's great, glad you found something that worked for you.

At 40, I'm an inch taller and just a few pounds more and am not on the verge of being too skinny either, I don't know how I'll look as I age, time will tell.  I've seen thin older women who look fabulous and some that look gaunt. I know of some my age my size or smaller that look much older but that is much more to do with the fact that they have tanned excessively throughout their life. Of course, the only opinion that matters is our own, ain't no one else living in our bodies. I like this size and feel more like myself but hope that if I find it too difficult to maintain through menopause that I make peace with having a bit more on my bones instead of perpetually fighting it. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The last sentence of the article seems to present the simplest and most obvious solution: "not everyone gained weight. Those who didn’t simply compensated by eating less.

In my mid- 40s, I began to notice that I need significantly less food. Once my biggest meal of the day was breakfast and I was ravenous upon waking up; now I am not hungry until mid-morning. I think it is important to listen to our bodies and be not eat according to habit, but only when actually hungry.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, soror said:

You can do a full body workout with dumbbells easily or do dumbbells and body weight work. You can buy those at Walmart or wherever, sets of 5, 10, and 15 would probably do most everything, at least starting out.

The big things is to gain some strength and work on stopping the massive muscle loss that comes with age. There is a quote from a study in Strong that talks about the number of women over 60 that can't even lift 10-15 lbs and the number is staggering. I loaned my copy to mom or I'd look it up. 

I agree about the dumbbells vs. barbells.  I have barbells but rarely use them because I prefer dumbbells.  You can also use good quality resistance bands (don't buy cheap ones - you don't want them to snap and injure you!).

And I can't agree enough about stopping the massive muscle loss that comes with age.  It is so important.  The muscle loss is a big reason why women end up in nursing homes, too.  

7 minutes ago, regentrude said:

. I think it is important to listen to our bodies and be not eat according to habit, but only when actually hungry.

I'm always hungry!  😛

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StaceyinLA said:

According to what I have been told by my professionals, it’s when people dip to the lower end of good BMI range that they start to add years to their face. It doesn’t have anything to do with whether they were previously much bigger or not. You aren’t in that category, your BMI would be in the middle good range. And it isn’t all about weight pr environment, bc of course genetics plays a role too. Some folks just age better than others.

My dr was simply pointing out all the scenarios for me to consider.  Basicly instead of doing Botox and fillers, just keep 10lbs more than I want so the natural collagen and fats can do it for me. I’m not really too worried about it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, regentrude said:

The last sentence of the article seems to present the simplest and most obvious solution: "not everyone gained weight. Those who didn’t simply compensated by eating less.

In my mid- 40s, I began to notice that I need significantly less food. Once my biggest meal of the day was breakfast and I was ravenous upon waking up; now I am not hungry until mid-morning. I think it is important to listen to our bodies and be not eat according to habit, but only when actually hungry.

A lot depends on what you do during the day, though. Someone who is sedentary will need less food that someone who is more active. I don't eat less food now that I'm 52, but I do eat food that works a lot better for my body. I'm celiac, and with a gluten- and dairy[-free diet, I can eat a large volume of food while I'm still physically active.

There are going to be a lot of individual difference among the general trend, though. I'm probably more of an outlier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As you lose muscle, the muscle fibers detach from nerves. A healthy young adult will have 100s of fibers connected in the foot whereas a frail, elderly adult might only have a few to a dozen. The sense of touch changes as does the perceptions of immediate physical surroundings. Tripping and falls, burns, etc. can follow. The brain might also change.

Maintaining and building muscle mass occurs with weight training/resistance workouts but there are other ways to help maximize it:

— eat the majority of your daily protein, maybe three-quarters, 1-2 hours after you lift weights

— eat all of your meals within a short window of time, eight hours or so, before 5 pm, five days of the week

— heat shock proteins generated during saunas help to build muscle, too

Weight gain doesn’t have to be an inevitable part of aging. Exercise, especially hiit, reduces visceral fat. Visceral fat acts a lot like an endocrine organ and not in a beneficial way. Worse, it pumps out inflammatory chemicals that damage organs and tissue. 

Fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet are effective, too. The first fat to go is visceral.

A DEXA scan is the best way to find out your body composition. Groupon sometimes has offers. Centers are starting to pop up, too.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Unfortunately, the hormonal changes in menopause not only slow metabolism but can also work to increase hunger, so it is not just a matter of not eating when hungry when your hunger is in overdrive. Peri and menopause can also disrupt sleep patterns which leads to an increase in appetite. Some women are lucky and are mildly affected by changing hormones, others aren't so lucky, there is a spectrum, just as there is a spectrum of issues women face with their cycles throughout life.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, soror said:

Unfortunately, the hormonal changes in menopause not only slow metabolism but can also work to increase hunger, so it is not just a matter of not eating when hungry when your hunger is in overdrive. Peri and menopause can also disrupt sleep patterns which leads to an increase in appetite. Some women are lucky and are mildly affected by changing hormones, others aren't so lucky, there is a spectrum, just as there is a spectrum of issues women face with their cycles throughout life.

Yes to this, too!  I am always hungry and also always have trouble sleeping.  I exercise a lot so that helps with weight gain but I have to be careful not to make myself even hungrier.  

• Like 2

It really becomes a lot more 'use it or lose it' as you age.  When you're younger many people can maintain their figure, muscle tone, and energy just by doing normal stuff.  But you have to really do a lot more intentional stuff not to lose it as you age.  I had been pretty good about resistance type of stuff (Pilates) till my kids were in high school, and then I didn't have the time and in 3 years I gained back the 30 lbs. I had lost after having kids and all my  nice tone went to heck and even my posture started to sag.  

I started back in Pilates and that helped, but only a bit.  Then I read an article about mitochondria, which was another 'use it or lose it' - your body will actually make way less mitochondria as you age if you don't exercise a bunch to tell it you need them.  So I finally added cardio.  Also helped, but still no weight loss.  So I added even more - better toned, no weight loss.  Finally cut out sugar/white carbs (but not keto), now I'm down 40 lbs since Jan (even less than before, kinda wow), also doing HiiT and fairly heavy weights 5x a week.  Don't think I can ever stop, but fortunately I'm actually enjoying both the exercise and have found food that I enjoy eating and doesn't make me feel deprived that stays within the guidelines.  

I recently read the book Spark, which I think a bunch of other people here have also loved - it's about how exercise affects the brain as you age.  Highly recommend.

I'm almost 55, but for full disclosure, no menopause yet (where the heck is it??).  You have to find what works for you - I finally admitted to myself I wasn't ever going to be one of those disciplined enough to work out at home, no matter how much stuff I had here.  But now I've finally found what I enjoy and feel like I can maintain.  There's a woman where I work out who I thought was about my age and is in her 70's.  #goals.

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

According to what I have been told by my professionals, it’s when people dip to the lower end of good BMI range that they start to add years to their face. It doesn’t have anything to do with whether they were previously much bigger or not. You aren’t in that category, your BMI would be in the middle good range. And it isn’t all about weight pr environment, bc of course genetics plays a role too. Some folks just age better than others.

I'm now about in the middle of the BMI range for a woman in her 50's.  The 'ideal' BMI does go up a bit on the charts as you get older.  Not gaunt yet. 😉 Also in spite of having arm definition for the first time in my life - ever - my scale still says I'm pretty so-so on fat percentage, so that's another thing that is just tough as you age, even with lots of hard work.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It really becomes a lot more 'use it or lose it' as you age.  When you're younger many people can maintain their figure, muscle tone, and energy just by doing normal stuff.  But you have to really do a lot more intentional stuff not to lose it as you age.  I had been pretty good about resistance type of stuff (Pilates) till my kids were in high school, and then I didn't have the time and in 3 years I gained back the 30 lbs. I had lost after having kids and all my  nice tone went to heck and even my posture started to sag.  

I started back in Pilates and that helped, but only a bit.  Then I read an article about mitochondria, which was another 'use it or lose it' - your body will actually make way less mitochondria as you age if you don't exercise a bunch to tell it you need them.  So I finally added cardio.  Also helped, but still no weight loss.  So I added even more - better toned, no weight loss.  Finally cut out sugar/white carbs (but not keto), now I'm down 40 lbs since Jan (even less than before, kinda wow), also doing HiiT and fairly heavy weights 5x a week.  Don't think I can ever stop, but fortunately I'm actually enjoying both the exercise and have found food that I enjoy eating and doesn't make me feel deprived that stays within the guidelines.  

I recently read the book Spark, which I think a bunch of other people here have also loved - it's about how exercise affects the brain as you age.  Highly recommend.

I'm almost 55, but for full disclosure, no menopause yet (where the heck is it??).  You have to find what works for you - I finally admitted to myself I wasn't ever going to be one of those disciplined enough to work out at home, no matter how much stuff I had here.  But now I've finally found what I enjoy and feel like I can maintain.  There's a woman where I work out who I thought was about my age and is in her 70's.  #goals.

I'm now about in the middle of the BMI range for a woman in her 50's.  The 'ideal' BMI does go up a bit on the charts as you get older.  Not gaunt yet. 😉 Also in spite of having arm definition for the first time in my life - ever - my scale still says I'm pretty so-so on fat percentage, so that's another thing that is just tough as you age, even with lots of hard work.  

I loved Spark too, wonderful book. I did yoga teacher training with a lady in her 70s, she taught 10 fitness classes a week. I know a lot of women my age and older in wonderful shape, so it is very good motivation, this is no time to give up. I'm still making goals and aiming to be stronger and more fit as I age. Congrats on your progress and hard work!

ITA about finding what you love, also with families we have to find what works and be flexible because life changes as the kids age. There were times I only worked at home because it was just easier, sometimes I solely worked out with the kids. When ds was a baby dh would meet me at the gym at 6 am when he got off work and watch him while I did Spin class.

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

You have to find what works for you - I finally admitted to myself I wasn't ever going to be one of those disciplined enough to work out at home, no matter how much stuff I had here.  But now I've finally found what I enjoy and feel like I can maintain.  There's a woman where I work out who I thought was about my age and is in her 70's.  #goals

I want to be one of those fit grandma’s in my 70s!

Unfortunately, for now, I’m in an annoying spot. There isn’t anywhere for me to work out at home. I mean, there’s no excuse fo me not to be squeezing in some planks and basic squats - that’s just me being frustrated with being unable to do much more. I love the gym, with almost every piece of equipment I could ever want. The 30 minute drive each way wears me down though, and I wind up with a few months on and a few months off.  Sigh.

At some point, I intend to be a little closer to the gym or have a basement with a concerte floor so I don’t shake my whole little house!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BeachGal said:

As you lose muscle, the muscle fibers detach from nerves. A healthy young adult will have 100s of fibers connected in the foot whereas a frail, elderly adult might only have a few to a dozen. The sense of touch changes as does the perceptions of immediate physical surroundings. Tripping and falls, burns, etc. can follow. The brain might also change.

Maintaining and building muscle mass occurs with weight training/resistance workouts but there are other ways to help maximize it:

— eat the majority of your daily protein, maybe three-quarters, 1-2 hours after you lift weights

— eat all of your meals within a short window of time, eight hours or so, before 5 pm, five days of the week

— heat shock proteins generated during saunas help to build muscle, too

Weight gain doesn’t have to be an inevitable part of aging. Exercise, especially hiit, reduces visceral fat. Visceral fat acts a lot like an endocrine organ and not in a beneficial way. Worse, it pumps out inflammatory chemicals that damage organs and tissue. 

Fasting and the fasting-mimicking diet are effective, too. The first fat to go is visceral.

A DEXA scan is the best way to find out your body composition. Groupon sometimes has offers. Centers are starting to pop up, too.

Dr. Stacy Sims is a former professional athlete and now researcher that looks specifically at women. According to the research she has compiled the window after strength training to ingest protein is much smaller for women than it is for men. So much research is focused on men and seems to think that women are exactly the same, we are not and young women and old women are not the same. Most fasting research is focused on men as well, I'd like to see more focused on women. Our hormones affect us in ways we don't even understand yet. 

I've not had my bodyfat done in ages, I live in a more rural area, no DEXA scans here. I thought about having the trainer do calipers but really it wouldn't change anything. I do the best I can. I'm active, I try to eat well. Some online calculator said I needed to have like a 22 in waist to have a fit bodyfat, that is not realistic for my size. 

Edited by soror

2 hours ago, soror said:

Dr. Stacy Sims is a former professional athlete and now researcher that looks specifically at women. According to the research she has compiled the window after strength training to ingest protein is much smaller for women than it is for men. So much research is focused on men and seems to think that women are exactly the same, we are not and young women and old women are not the same. Most fasting research is focused on men as well, I'd like to see more focused on women. Our hormones affect us in ways we don't even understand yet. 

I've not had my bodyfat done in ages, I live in a more rural area, no DEXA scans here. I thought about having the trainer do calipers but really it wouldn't change anything. I do the best I can. I'm active, I try to eat well. Some online calculator said I needed to have like a 22 in waist to have a fit bodyfat, that is not realistic for my size. 

I’m referring to Valter Longo’s research. I can’t recall reading anything he’s written about the differences between men and women and building muscle, however it would make sense that there would be. In January I’ll be going to a longevity conference (speakers are respected researchers) and will see if someone there has more information.

Which fasting studies specifically are you referencing? Again, it would be good to do studies on different groups. Jason Fung might have something as well as True North in California.

I’m not suggesting that you must get a DEXA scan but if a person has the means and has a facility nearby that offers it, the DEXA gives more useful, precise information — how much bone, muscle, fat (and where) — than a scale. I am mostly concerned with visceral adipose tissue (VAT) because it’s so harmful. With the info from the scans, I’ve fine-tuned my workouts and tweaked other habits. I’ve actually been able to decrease my workout time substantially while getting better results. So it’s been a time saver, too.

I used to get the scan at a medical facility but now I go to a center, Dexafit, that also offers VO2max testing and resting metabolic rate (RMR). The gauge I use in between scans is how my jeans fit. Getting too tight means it’s time to do a short fast or change something else. Others might prefer to do other things, of course, but this works well for me.

15 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

What do you do for exercise. I hate it all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, madteaparty said:

What do you do for exercise. I hate it all.

I did Pilates for years, 1-2x a week.  I do like that.  It unfortunately wasn't intense enough on its own to turn back the tide once I'd gained that weight back...

I started rowing (outside, on the water) a few years ago, and I do love that, but it's seasonal.

I hate running, I stink at any sport that involves a ball, so those were out.  I do like lifting, and bought weights that sat there on the floor for years. Also walking and doing Pilates at home - like those fine, but they never, ever, actually got done. Bought workout videos.  Ditto.  Know thyself.  Some people love and have great success working out from home or going to a gym on their own.  I need the discipline of having to be somewhere or lose money - and I get energy from working out with others; other people hate that.

About a year ago I started going to OrangeTheory Fitness.  It's got lifting and floor work, rowing machines (that's what got me in - I was looking for some way to keep rowing off-season, even if the machines aren't my favorite), and treadmills. So, a good mix of all the things the articles tell you to do in one hour. They're classes and they're different every day - they tell you what to do, for how long, and at what intensity, which is determined by a heart rate monitor (displayed on a screen so it's easy to see).  You go at your pace and push yourself as much as you're comfortable with - the monitor gives you clear feedback as to how much you're pushing yourself.  They give alternate moves for people who have limitations or are just starting.  They have separate instructions based on if you walk or run on the treadmill (I walk - did I mention I hate running! -  but then I have inclines).

Anyway, that's working great for me - I actually look forward to going, and miss it when I can't.  It costs money, but I'm considering it an investment, as I really don't want to become one of those brittle old people, or get diabetes, or any of the other things that crop up when you're older, overweight, and sedentary (and I was all those things).  I'm still pretty sedentary when I'm not working out - I have a sedentary nature.  I have never been a particularly athletic or sporty person, I've never even had a gym membership.  So it's extra important that I found something I actually liked doing - it will be different for everyone, but try different things!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I want to be one of those fit grandma’s in my 70s!

Unfortunately, for now, I’m in an annoying spot. There isn’t anywhere for me to work out at home. I mean, there’s no excuse fo me not to be squeezing in some planks and basic squats - that’s just me being frustrated with being unable to do much more. I love the gym, with almost every piece of equipment I could ever want. The 30 minute drive each way wears me down though, and I wind up with a few months on and a few months off.  Sigh.

At some point, I intend to be a little closer to the gym or have a basement with a concerte floor so I don’t shake my whole little house!

Small house here, kids have not quite left home so no spare bedrooms, no basement.
I do the scientific 7-minute workout by Gretchen Reynolds (pic), 15-20 minute yoga videos on YouTube, and did a very very very gradual couch to 5k this year.

7minuteworkout.jpg

• Like 2