Menu

So sad

kiwik

Our cat got killed last night.  She was only 10 months old and I already miss her so much.  The kids are distraught and I keep crying.  She was more my cat -she used to sit on my feet or beside the keyboard while I worked and on my knee the rest of the time.  Luckily the neighbour found her.  Unluckily they though she was their cat and cried over her all day and buried her while we looked for her.  They realised when their cat turned up.  I wish I had never listened to the people who said it was cruel to keep her inside (in NZ cats are not kept inside).

• Sad 25

So sad. Hope you can find another cat soon to fill that empty space.

Most cats in our city are indoor (I'm in Canada). I think there's a by-law that you have to keep your cat contained in your yard - which is pretty impossible if it's not leashed. I guess we're a city of "cruel" people with longer living cats.

I think I will save up so we can get a cat more suited to indoor living.  We tried keeping her inside for 6 months and she was desperate to escape all the time so we let her out in the day when we were home. I should never have given in to her constant yowling at night but I since even when walking with us she never went on the road or more than 3 houses away I gave in - I guess she must have been scared by something. She was outside before we got her.  I guess a purebred kept inside from birth would settle better. Ds12 cried himself to sleep then woke up and cried some more.  Ds10 couldn't sleep.  I keep crying.

• Sad 1

I am so sorry. My beloved cat (former stray) was killed outside by a predator at a young age, so I understand your pain and regret. We could not have him inside due to allergies but he had his own room in our garage. 

Obviously I have struggled with what I could have done or should have done to keep him safe but a couple things gave me comfort. One, I know that he loved, loved, loved his prowling and hunting outside. He lived life fully and how he wanted and on his terms. He had freedom but also knew that he was loved and cherished. Two, we did what we thought best at the time and that's all any of us can do.

As MaBelle said, some cats don't tolerate being indoor only and maybe if your cat could have chosen for herself, she would have chosen her freedom even knowing the risk. 

Hugs to you and your kids, and bless you for giving her a good and loving home.  ❤️

• Like 1

I'm so sorry.  It's so, so hard to lose a pet.

Growing up in California, no one ever kept their cats indoors in our town.  Well, ours was both in and out, but when he wanted to go out, we just let him out.    He usually was out all night.  We never even had a litter box.  

You were just being a loving pet owner and trying to do the right thing.  These things happen.  Even if you try and keep them indoors, things can happen.  We also had a dog growing up, and we kept him either in the house or in our fenced-in backyard.  One day he escaped when we opened the front door, and he ran outside and got hit by a car and was killed.  I had to miss school for almost a week, I was so sad!  

These are the risks we take when we take on a pet, no matter how much we love them and how hard we try to do the right thing for them.

You take care.

• Like 1