Menu

Coffee help -- what to use for "on the road" coffee set-up?

TheReader

Help. 

It's too late for this trip, but this is the 3rd such trip where I've said, "Man, I really need to invest in some kind of way to make coffee at places where I won't have a coffee maker!"

Mostly this would be for times I do have access to electricity, but just not coffee making supplies (coffee maker, etc). Needs to be able to use my preferred coffee, which is not available in K-cups (I did consider bringing my son's mini-K-cup thing on this trip, though, and maybe that's the best option...?)

Ideally would be able to make more than one cup at a time, or at least in a relatively short span of time, so that I can have a refill &/or dh can have coffee with me. 

I'm picky about my coffee, but no nothing about means of preparing it other than my nice Cuisanart coffee maker. Educate me, please, on what my options are. I cannot take another trip where I don't have good coffee in the morning.  (subbing Pepsi at the moment, and it is so very not the same....). 

Some people like French press coffee; I’m not a fan but it is easy enough on the road if you have access to heating water. Starbucks and others make decent instant coffees, which would be easier and less messy than French press. Just add to hot water and enjoy.

I take Stokes cold coffee and a jar of my fave almond milk with me on trip if we are driving. I really do not like to be at the mercy of anyone else’s idea of acceptable coffee first thing in the morning. 🙂

Edited by MEmama

Yes. I recently went camping with my parents (with electricity). It was supposed to be 2 days so I left the coffee maker at home...but then I extended it to 4 days and was regretting my decision. (My digestive tract appreciates regular coffee intake, iykwim.)

Anyway, I'll probably take my mini kcup machine next time. It comes with a lil' filter basket for scoop coffee. It's this one: https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/flexbrew-single-serve-coffee-maker-49974. It's pretty quick for each cup. 

That it I'd take premade cold brew if I could heat it somewhere...

Edited by alisoncooks

If size is the biggest factor (and in your case it may not be), I've traveled the world with a Zelco Brisk Brew.

Makes small amounts of (very good) coffee. Re-generates quickly.

Bill (an addict)

ETA: Requires electricity. Sorry.

Edited by Spy Car

13 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I take Stokes cold coffee and a jar of my fave almond milk with me on trip if we are driving. I really do not like to be at the mercy of anyone else’s idea of acceptable coffee first thing in the morning. 🙂

I do this too! Hotel coffee in the AM to wake me up, then fill a travel mug with hotel ice, pour Stokes cold brew over the ice and sip to stay awake while I drive. Lots of gas stations have Stokes or even Starbucks unsweetened cold coffee in the cold case. Or McD's americano hot coffee isn't too bad in a pinch. I just can't have sweet coffee when I drive or I start getting sleepy. In the summer I do the cold coffee, winter trips I scout out McD's that are near gas stations so we can do gas and coffee. 

I do a pour over method at home with a paper cone filter. My husband recently bought a collapsible net cone filter which would be good for travel...bring your own coffee, a few filters, use hotel hot water, and brew a cup. It's meant to use without a filter but there is sludge at the bottom of the cup and I'm not a sludge fan.

He bought something similar to this but his is clearly a net instead of a fabric appearance. 

I may get this collapsible silicone for myself. I spend a few weeks with my parents every year and Dad's coffee practically undrinkable to me. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Some people like French press coffee; I’m not a fan but it is easy enough on the road if you have access to heating water. Starbucks and others make decent instant coffees, which would be easier and less messy than French press. Just add to hot water and enjoy.

We just went camping in Acadia and finally invested in a French press rather than using a percolator.  Soooooo much better coffee!  Not quite like home, but decent.  We tend to get at least one power outage a year at home so we keep on hand the little Starbucks Via(?) packets.  They're good, but only make a cup at a time.  And dh uses 3 for his thermos. 😄 So not exactly cost efficient, either.

• Like 1

A French press or pour over system is probably your best bet. I don't care for coffee made in a French press, but pour over is very good. I keep one of these at home and one in the RV. It's plastic, which isn't my first choice of materials, but it's very handy for traveling since breakage isn't a concern. There are lots of pour over options.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out where you would be where you don't have a coffee maker that isn't camping.  I haven't stayed in a. hotel that didn't have a coffee maker in it for decades.

But when I did, I traveled with this:  It all folds into each other very nicely and does exactly the same thing as SpyCar's video, but does more than one cup, which is what you said you wanted.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 1

I would consider a french press or pour-over, but they can be fragile. I think Amazon probably has some travel bags for some of them. A few people have mentioned the Aeropress to me, but I've never actually seen or used one in person. If you like espresso, I recently purchased a Staresso portable espresso maker and I'm really enjoying it. My next purchase is going to be a moka pot. We have a few percolators for when the power goes out and Dh has some kind of manual k-cup brewer which I have used with re-usable kcup filters. Most of the hotels we stay at have coffee makers, but usually not very good coffee to go in them, so we usually bring something to make our own.

55 minutes ago, DawnM said:

Trying to figure out where you would be where you don't have a coffee maker that isn't camping.  I haven't stayed in a. hotel that didn't have a coffee maker in it for decades.

But when I did, I traveled with this:  It all folds into each other very nicely.

Dawn, most of the hotels I've stayed have had either nothing (motels) or a single-cup doodad that's not even a real K-Cup so you can't easily put in your own coffee grounds, b/c it's this little sort of "tea bag" thing for coffee that pops in the top. And is not good. 

And then, right now, I'm at my mom's, and she doesn't drink coffee nor have any coffee-making stuff (and lives in a small town, so really I couldn't even go get Starbucks or McDonald's, maybe just bad gas station coffee). 

And then, we went on a cruise a few years aback, and they *had* coffee, but it was terrible. Absolutely terrible. No amount of sweetener, creamer, anything helped. At all. Oh my word it was so bad. 

So all of those places I could pack something to make my own, would not necessarily need to be electricity free, even. Camping we wouldn't have electricity, although, even then, in a pinch I do have a converter thing that plugs into the car outlet and lets you plug in an appliance (I had to buy this when I was pumping for baby #3, who was super preemie, to run the hospital pump while traveling). So an "electricity required" option is probably fine as long as it's packable. 

• Like 1

The stainless french press we use for travel is something like this ...

https://www.amazon.com/French-Double-Wall-Stainless-Mirror-Heavier/dp/B07JGBK6XV?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JGBK6XV&pd_rd_r=f671d524-95cd-4471-b7c1-53a7abc28446&pd_rd_w=j367Q&pd_rd_wg=tiN03&pf_rd_p=43281256-7633-49c8-b909-7ffd7d8cb21e&pf_rd_r=N1WQSTYX74G208K25JZ5&psc=1

You can just throw it in a bag.  We've packed it in bags for flights too.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

Okay, lots of options. Thanks! 

(I was hoping you all would say the same thing, so I didn't have to research....ha! I should have known I'd get equal number of suggestions as there were replies, LOL!)

Here is a video of the Zelco Brisk Brew system I mentioned earlier. It all fits inside a small bag. Very compact. And it heats the water (a problem for pour overs and French Presses).

The capacity per cycle is small, but easy to re-charge. It makes tasty coffee. I saw a new/used on on ebay just now for $20 OBO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Spy Car, that looks perfect. I like that it heats the water vs. me having to heat water separately. Very cool. 

It is a very elegant solution for travel when one NEEDS an emergency coffee supply. With a plug adapter kit it works anywhere in the word.

That it heats the water and brews is the key. The unit looks bigger in pictures and videos than IRL. It is compact and really well designed.

Plus the coffee it turns out is excellent. One only gets a cup at a time, but--as I mentioned--it re-brews quickly.

Mine is an essential travel partner.

Bill

Just now, Spy Car said:

It is a very elegant solution for travel when one NEEDS an emergency coffee supply. With a plug adapter kit it works anywhere in the word.

That it heats the water and brews is the key. The unit looks bigger in pictures and videos than IRL. It is compact and really well designed.

Plus the coffee it turns out is excellent. One only gets a cup at a time, but--as I mentioned--it re-brews quickly.

Mine is an essential travel partner.

Bill

Yea, I am definitely in the NEEDS category. I figure you can start rebrewing once you pour the cup (as one can always bring an extra mug). Brew into the included mug, pour into an actual mug to drink, start rebrewing. Repeat as needed.

It looks fabulous.

9 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Yea, I am definitely in the NEEDS category. I figure you can start rebrewing once you pour the cup (as one can always bring an extra mug). Brew into the included mug, pour into an actual mug to drink, start rebrewing. Repeat as needed.

It looks fabulous.

Yep. Obviously one needs to reload the filter with new coffee if you want optimal quality. But other than that you can re-brew a second cup before finishing the first.

It is a keen little system. You will not be disappointed. 

Bill

• Like 1

We have an old plastic pour over coffee cone thing that we bring along on camping trips or anywhere else where we don't like the coffee.

On camping trips we heat the water on the camp stove.  When we stay in timeshare quarters we bring along a single electric burner if there isn't a stove top, and use that to heat the water.

Since the thing is plastic, it is not breakable.

We grind enough coffee for the week at home, and bring it in a canning jar or two.  Ditto sugar.  We always have milk but DH likes creamer so he brings that.  It makes life so much better to have all your breakfast stuff with you when you wake up.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Anne said:

I love my aeropress, but I’m intrigued with Bill’s suggestion......

The only issue with the aeropress is how to get boiling water.

I used to carry one of those immersion water heaters--basically an open metal coil with a wire and plug on the other end--to boil water. It seemed terribly dangerous to me, which did add some mind focusing to the morning "on the road coffee making," but it was a job I'd have preferred post-caffeine IYKWIM.

I can't believe I've never had an aeropress. I hear they make great coffee.

Bill (who is off to plunge his French Press)

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 1