Menu

We are officially BACK.

LisaKinVA

It is HOT outside.  Like, mid-July or August HOT.  

Took me half the day to get the internet working.  I got our cell phones working, too.  So far, I've been to Wal-Mart, Target, Giant, T-mobile and Chick-fil-A.  Going to the pool in a moment.  I've dealt with the NCAA issue for my son, and sorted all of my mail and opened all of the books that were here waiting for me.  I've answered all of my husband's moving questions and sent the official notice about moving to the schools back in Naples.

I've been disappointed  by two things:  

Chick-fil-A eliminated their chicken salad sandwich (pretty much the only sandwich I ate there).

And this YQ yogurt from ultra filtered milk that was just flavorless.  It seriously nearly tasted plain.  They had to use carrot juice for color -- so I'm left to wonder what happened to the strawberries they were supposed to use for flavor, because I didn't get that at all.

Tomorrow, I'll just be working on menu planning for next week, doing some reading and some other project work.  Friday, I'm shopping again!  I'll be off to Costco, the mall, Vitamin Shoppe, Wegman's, and the gym.

• Like 14

10 minutes ago, LisaK in VA said:

And this YQ yogurt from ultra filtered milk that was just flavorless.  It seriously nearly tasted plain.  They had to use carrot juice for color -- so I'm left to wonder what happened to the strawberries they were supposed to use for flavor, because I didn't get that at all.

We've been trying to find more protein sources for DS and he has tried every flavor of YQ.  The only one that he has me buying is the vanilla, which he sometimes eats plain, but most often adds a scoop of jam to it for added flavor.  All the other flavors were bland in taste and chalky in texture.   

• Like 1

Welcome back!! So much shopping in such a short amount of time....wow! You are brave! 

Food....yea, that's gonna be an adjustment. Sorry about that. When we came back, we found things we'd formally loved, we didn't anymore. Not all things, of course, but some stuff. Sorry about the yogurt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

We've been trying to find more protein sources for DS and he has tried every flavor of YQ.  The only one that he has me buying is the vanilla, which he sometimes eats plain, but most often adds a scoop of jam to it for added flavor.  All the other flavors were bland in taste and chalky in texture.   

That's an apt description.  I am tempted to make my own "ultra filtered yogurt" with the Fairlife milk, and add some freeze dried/powdered berries for a more intense flavor.  It has to be better than This! (not sure about the cost of it... but yeah, pretty yucky)

3 hours ago, AmandaVT said:

I don't know if you can get it where you are, but green mountain creamery skyr is my current favorite yogurt product: https://greenmountaincreamery.com/our-yogurt/skyr/

I'll make a note of it.  There are so many grocery stores and not everything seems to carry everything we like.  I haven't been to Wegman's yet, but I'll look there.  When we get to VA Beach, my main stores will be Wegman's, Kroger and Trader Joes.  Here, my main stores are Wegman's and Giant.

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

Welcome back!! So much shopping in such a short amount of time....wow! You are brave! 

Food....yea, that's gonna be an adjustment. Sorry about that. When we came back, we found things we'd formally loved, we didn't anymore. Not all things, of course, but some stuff. Sorry about the yogurt. 

I will probably go back to making more things from scratch, but right now, I just can't.  I was truly grateful for the pre-chopped onions, tomoatoes and cilantro in the produce section.  My parents' house is being renovated, and I have no idea where some of their equipment is... I wanted pico de gallo, and Giant made it easy to dump everything together and add a lime.  I'm sure I paid a lot more, and I know the tomatoes aren't as good as the ones in Italy, but it was yummy., and now I can make egg tacos for breakfast 😄 We are menu planning for next week tomorrow -- and will be working to stay in some kind of budget.  I probably bought too much bread for the four of us (6 bagels, 6 small sandwich rolls, 2 loaves of brown bread...yeah, I got too much.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LisaK in VA said:

That's an apt description.  I am tempted to make my own "ultra filtered yogurt" with the Fairlife milk, and add some freeze dried/powdered berries for a more intense flavor.  It has to be better than This! (not sure about the cost of it... but yeah, pretty yucky)

I'll make a note of it.  There are so many grocery stores and not everything seems to carry everything we like.  I haven't been to Wegman's yet, but I'll look there.  When we get to VA Beach, my main stores will be Wegman's, Kroger and Trader Joes.  Here, my main stores are Wegman's and Giant.

I will probably go back to making more things from scratch, but right now, I just can't.  I was truly grateful for the pre-chopped onions, tomoatoes and cilantro in the produce section.  My parents' house is being renovated, and I have no idea where some of their equipment is... I wanted pico de gallo, and Giant made it easy to dump everything together and add a lime.  I'm sure I paid a lot more, and I know the tomatoes aren't as good as the ones in Italy, but it was yummy., and now I can make egg tacos for breakfast 😄 We are menu planning for next week tomorrow -- and will be working to stay in some kind of budget.  I probably bought too much bread for the four of us (6 bagels, 6 small sandwich rolls, 2 loaves of brown bread...yeah, I got too much.

Siggi's is yummy too and I just googled and it looks like Wegmans carries them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

Welcome home. Your post makes me feel like a slug because I haven't even done half of that much all month.

Haha - I'm feeling so lazy right now, it's funny.  I am truly grateful that the girls and I were able to start this transition back to the states in our hometown.  It's made everything much less overwhelming, because I'm at least pretty familiar with the roads, traffic patterns and where things are.  We still have a pretty big transition to VA Beach, but at least we should only be dealing with the normal crazy of moving by then 😉

It’s always fun to be back.  I had to laugh because yogurt is a problem for us in both the US and UK.  Someone’s brand or flavor always disappears when we leave for more than a couple weeks!  😂. Oddly my Dd prefers American brands because there are more smooth flavors in her opinion.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Is there anything that you were eager to eat/drink after being overseas, and you have been able to have a fabulous moment enjoying said item? 

I wanted a Chick-fil-A Chicken Salad Sandwich.  Sadly, it has been erased from the menu.  Beyond that... GOOD Mexican food at a restaurant...sadly, our restaurant closed, so I'm waiting and looking.  To be honest, I haven't really missed much American food -- good ethnic food, YES, because Italians really can't do anything other than Italian well. 🤣