Menu

help me choose bedroom curtains

caedmyn

I can’t decide what color of curtains to get for our master bedroom.  I’m planning on having a dual rod with blackout curtains on top and sheers underneath. I wanted purple curtains but the room looks too dark with dark colored curtains on top of all the paneling, the dark carpet, and the dark bedskirt.  I would not have bought charcoal bed linens if I’d known we would be moving into a house with dark carpet lol.  Not sure whether to go with white curtains and white sheers, white curtains and purple sheers, cream curtains and idk what color sheers, or ??  I could match the curtain that’s in the closet doorway for the windows.  I like these on Amazon in cream https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SGZ9RN/ref=twister_B07MZ793PB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

06620CAF-0A76-4CDA-9ABB-3C40E09CD8AA.jpeg

2FF0FA18-FE25-4C2B-A12D-F9B91BD17BF1.jpeg

I would paint the wall and the wood white. The wood isn’t in good condition and having that all one color will help the room feel brighter, cleaner, and more open.

I would pair that with curtains hung high and wide to continue to open up that room. If you are near an IKEA, their rods and panels for the 98” length are really affordable (better than Target prices). They are also washable. I would go with white curtains if you go the IKEA route. If you don’t, I would look for a subtle geometric print on a white background. I wouldn’t go floral as you have floral bedding.

Eta: just saw you want blackout curtains. IKEA might not have those at the 98” length...can’t remember. I would still go with white on white.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would paint the wall and the wood white. The wood isn’t in good condition and having that all one color will help the room feel brighter, cleaner, and more open.

I would pair that with curtains hung high and wide to continue to open up that room. If you are near an IKEA, their rods and panels for the 98” length are really affordable (better than Target prices). They are also washable. I would go with white curtains if you go the IKEA route. If you don’t, I would look for a subtle geometric print on a white background. I wouldn’t go floral as you have floral bedding.

Eta: just saw you want blackout curtains. IKEA might not have those at the 98” length...can’t remember. I would still go with white on white.

The wood is actually in really good shape.  DH says it’s blue pine and I guess that’s how it naturally looks.  I’m not a fan of it in the bedroom but he loves it so I doubt he’d agree to painting over it, unfortunately.  Would long curtains look funny since they’d cover parts of it and would go down behind the bed?

I too think center bed, long curtains, put bedside tables either side.  I like the curtains you linked.  I’d probably go with a combo of solid colors on the bed.  Or a more bright cheery floral to brighten things up.  Probably just sheets as bedspreads to be able to change the look.  

I have my walls painted the shade of violet that is in your bedding, and it's really lovely. 

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree. I think you could maybe do the wood white and the walls a light shade of violet, so long as you nail the shade. You need less than you think. Then go with a simple white lace for the curtains. Do you live in a location where that kind of unpainted wood is a decorating style? I get the tree hugger thing, because my dh would say that too. But really, if you're anywhere except in some kind of woods, national park kind of area or something, I'd override him in a hot minute. It's not adding value or a selling point, where a nicely done room will be. But I'm just of the opinion that the bedroom should look the way the room wants it, end of discussion. My dh has his guy stuff in lots of other places in the house, but if I want the bedroom violet and covered in flowers, it's violet and covered in flowers.

The trick on nailing violet, btw, is to get the red undertones, not heavy blue undertones. That pink/red undertone (which you'll see if you compare the paint strips) makes it fresh and bright. It's considered a reflective color, one that makes you reflect or ponder or think. You could also go with a really soft grey, odd as it seems. But I'd paint over that wood in a heartbeat.

I too think center bed, long curtains, put bedside tables either side.  I like the curtains you linked.  I’d probably go with a combo of solid colors on the bed.  Or a more bright cheery floral to brighten things up.  Probably just sheets as bedspreads to be able to change the look.  

https://www.thecompanystore.com/white-sale

like The turquoise and cream combo shown in link, or in your case turquoise cream and grey to bring things together...   or any cheerful bright color you like

Also like in that pic, trying for cheery looking items on the bedside tables, lamp or flowers or whatever.

maybe having the curtain area go wider than bed so that the curtains could be drawn back into curtain ties in daytime to further frame the bed.  

Edited by Pen

I think, because of all of the gray and more neutral colors in the room, I'd go for some more colorful curtains.  Nothing anything too wild, but a simple solid color, maybe a violet like others have suggested (to go with your bedspread) -- a darker shade for the blackout ones and of course a very light shade for the sheer.  Or, I think shades of teal would look pretty with what you have too.  It's hard to tell what color your carpet is.  Is is gray?  You could also get some throw pillows for the beds that match the curtains.

Or, if you want a whole different look, you could get a different bedspread altogether...  maybe a solid teal or a solid honey gold, and then get printed curtains and throw pillows that match (I think gingham would look pretty and would kind of go with the country feel of the room -- with the pine.  Or put the print on the bedspread with solid matching curtains.

Or something like this that could brighten up the room and pull together wood tones, grey carpet, cream curtains. Sleepwish 4 Pcs Bohemian Bedding Sets Full Bedspread Comforter Cover Set Hippie Bed Covers Boho Chic Red Bedspread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FK1V2HI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MrSRCbYYDJY4R

and then perhaps , a reach, but really homey feeling and consistent with the wood boards rustic feeling, would be to take up quilting and make a quilt for the big bed and one for little bed and a quilted throw for the chair!  

Agree with PPs...center the bed, add tables, and definitely get curtains that go to the floor. I like the ones you linked and the one side I am going to recommend a sort of similar. 

https://m2.ikea.com/us/en/p/vilborg-curtains-1-pair-gray-40423413/

we got these for our bedroom and although they aren’t black out, they do block a lot of light (we also have the cheap-y plastic blinds). I hung the rods all the way to the top of the wall and they extend to the floor with a little gather at the bottom.  They look much prettier than I was expecting! I think they’d look good in your room with some white sheers. 

7 hours ago, Pen said:

Or something like this that could brighten up the room and pull together wood tones, grey carpet, cream curtains. Sleepwish 4 Pcs Bohemian Bedding Sets Full Bedspread Comforter Cover Set Hippie Bed Covers Boho Chic Red Bedspread https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FK1V2HI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MrSRCbYYDJY4R

The carpet is actually blue.  The previous owners REALLY liked blue.  

I would like to get a headboard and nightstands but not sure about colors.  Seems like any wood colors might look funny with the pine paneling.  Maybe cherry like the toddler bed would look ok, but that would make the room look even darker.  Maybe grey?  I wouldn’t mind white but I suspect DH won’t go for it.

If we get nightstands the bed could be moved, though idk if the glider would still fit if the bed were moved.  DH put the bed near the wall when we moved in, and then put a little corner shelf by his side to hold stuff and doesn’t want to move the bed away from it.  

58 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

If we get nightstands the bed could be moved, though idk if the glider would still fit if the bed were moved.  DH put the bed near the wall when we moved in, and then put a little corner shelf by his side to hold stuff and doesn’t want to move the bed away from it.  

Your room seems very spacious! I think if you get the bed centered and bring in the bedside tables, you'll find a way to arrange the toddler bed and glider, yes. And yes, I noticed that little shelf, hehe. That's how my dh is too, like uber efficient. He'll shove things all the way over when hanging items (chalkboards, anything) and I'm like hello, can't we center it and make it PRETTY?? He's like oh I was being efficient, lol. 

So yeah, buy some night stands and get your dh more civilized. Lay down the law. In fact you could put your glider in that corner and it would be a cute little stand for a water bottle or reading light, hehe. OVERRIDE your man on things. He is not the only person living there and you are highly qualified to have an opinion on how a house should look and feel. If you want it a certain way, it should be that way. 

I listened to a sermon once where the preacher was explaining that the greek work behind a woman running the house meant DESPOT. You're supposed to be the DESPOT on this stuff. :biggrin:

I would try centering the bed under the other window. The glider can stay were it's at. The toddler bed could go at the foot of your bed. I would paint the paneling, too. But if you can't do that, at least get curtains to the floor which will break up some of the wood and make it look less dated.

20 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I would try centering the bed under the other window. The glider can stay were it's at. The toddler bed could go at the foot of your bed. I would paint the paneling, too. But if you can't do that, at least get curtains to the floor which will break up some of the wood and make it look less dated.

The heat vent is under the other window unfortunately.  

• Like 1

Regarding side tables. I would go with either white, cream, OR naked, blonde, very pale wood. Anything dark will fight with the paneling. 

Definitely bold white curtains that reach to the floor and center the bed under the window. I think you'll find a way to make the glider and the toddler bed to fit somewhere. Centering the bed makes the room look balanced rather than random.

I like the idea of a quilt if you want to go that route. Pretty white pillow shams with the bold white curtains will look lovely. 

I think the room would also benefit from a headboard for the bed, fwiw.  I know you just asked about curtains, but I think you've got to think about the room as a cohesive whole. The advice above about centering the bed in the room and adding nightstands is spot on.  

I picked up a headboard and footer from Wayfair for $250ish that looked like this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/198299189821630237/ The wrought iron farmhouse style would pair well with the pine, and it would help break up some of the squattiness of the room. An upholstered headboard would work also, but you want it to have some height to balance the wood paneling on the lower 1/3 of the room. 

4 hours ago, caedmyn said:

The carpet is actually blue.  The previous owners REALLY liked blue.  

Oh all the color I see in pictures may be totally off.

I’d go with light colored wood for bedside tables and headboard.  

It could be off in picture but the room seems dark and somber, like it needs light and bright colors and more homey touches.  

With blue carpet, I might go with a white or cream  curtain color,  and pull in the white or cream, the wood tones from the wall, the blue color of the carpet and then  perhaps some brights in a cover and pillow cases that will show on bed(s) and maybe throw pillow on chair.

depending on fit, bed could possibly be put at an angle with a room corner behind it and a headboard to hold up pillows  instead of with window behind it

the walls look off white to the greenish... if so I ‘d probably change them, but not immediately ...

I really like the wood but no question about it it does darken the room a little.   With that in mind, and assuming you're keeping the carpet, I would drop the heavy drape idea and put in black out shades and canvas tab curtains.  The canvas is a creamy white color which would make the walls (and the room) look lighter than heavy drapes would, and you can hide the shade rollers up behind the curtain rods and just pull them down when you want absolute darkness.  My inclination would be to spring for a medium toned carpet replacement, probably a light honey color.  Or if you could go spendier I would put in wide white maple plank hardwood (the flush butt kind, not the fake groove kind.)  White maple looks absolutely wonderful with knotty pine panelling because although it has some grain it's not prominent enough to look like dots with stripes, LOL, and it's light enough to provide a nice contrast with the pine and brighten the room. Dark carpet shows lint something awful and it's also an allergen swamp which is not great in a bedroom.   Then I would add throw rugs (probably from Ikea) on each side of the bed--washable ones. 

I would add color via art on the walls rather than in the curtains and bedding.  At least one of the art areas would be changeable--like, a shelf with changing seasonal stuff on it, or one of those clotheline style installations for clipping up postcards, photos, holiday cards, etc.  I would put a wall mounted thin TV on one wall, and it would have a poster or rug or tapestry hanging down over it so it would not show all the time.  

5 hours ago, caedmyn said:

I would like to get a headboard and nightstands but not sure about colors.  Seems like any wood colors might look funny with the pine paneling.  

I’d go with blonde color wood— light pine, or oak or beech type wood and color.     Or white, perhaps.  Not cherry, not grey.  

5 hours ago, caedmyn said:

DH put the bed near the wall when we moved in, and then put a little corner shelf by his side to hold stuff and doesn’t want to move the bed away from it.  

Instead of tiny corner shelf by side of bed, could bed be put so its head is into the corner with the shelf, and a headboard with built in storage were gotten and the angle shelf adjusted higher or enlarged to fit the space (instead of bedside tables)?

A curtain might need to be adjusted to give a pleasing centered look.  

Upholstered bed frame ideas:

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/andover-mills-dax-upholstered-panel-headboard-w001503724.html  This grey will go with the blues, but you're going to have to really punch up the color with white curtains, whiter walls, and better lighting. It's on sale for $68 right now as Wayfair is having its annual sale.

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/alcott-hill-harbert-fullqueen-upholstered-panel-headboard-acot1543.html  A white one

Metal bed frame:

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/andover-mills-clora-slat-headboard-ando1149.html  This is going to pull out those blues again, so see above advice about white & bright

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/harlow-slat-headboard-lrfy5017.html?piid=20275610%2C20275612  This is white, and by far my favorite style.  I actually own this in black for a bed in the guest room.  It went together really easily and has held up well.

Bedding:

https://www.wayfair.com/bed-bath/pdp/lark-manor-stancil-reversible-coverlet-set-lrkm4964.html?piid=29476664 This is a white quilted country look. Note the nightstands and lamps in the photo. I think something like this would go well in your room.

https://www.wayfair.com/bed-bath/pdp/laura-ashley-heirloom-crochet-100-cotton-reversible-quilt-set-by-laura-ashley-home-tbb1918.html?piid=20707443%2C27087344

https://www.wayfair.com/bed-bath/pdp/andover-mills-grange-comforter-set-andv2990.html?piid=24746539%2C24746545

I’d keep purple things that are for a time and then perhaps go if you want a new color later, as the special accent  color touches: purple in throw pillows, vase and flowers, wall art...  so you would get your purple, but not make the room dark with it.

You know what looks nice with pine paneling?  White iron or just wrought iron beds.  That's kind of traditional.  Or a Jenny Lind spool headboard look, which is more of a pioneer/gold miner/country look.  Or you can get very heavy 'natural' wood beds which are awesome with pine--either the curvy/nonsymmetric 'this is how it grows' log style or a heavy but plainish style., kind of like this but without all the frou frou around it:   bed_09.jpg

Personally although I like that kind of bed in the abstract, for a cabin or something, I don't think I would want it to be my everyday bed.

This bed looks great with pine:  https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x80997cfd3f5abbed:0x1902d018c66ebdb4!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMadtpD0Ii8_Rc9sRjcuMWix5iSDccbI-FUOSZB%3Dw216-h218-n-k-no!5stahoe+city+furniture+stores+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipMadtpD0Ii8_Rc9sRjcuMWix5iSDccbI-FUOSZB

Here is a very solid and simple bed that would not clash with the pine.  It's dark, but with pale yellow bedding it would be gorgeous in that room.  Crucially the dark color mutes the grain of the wood and the seams as well, which means it doesn't clash with the pattern of the pine.  https://www.mountaincomfort.com/sam-the-bo-railroad-trestle-bridge-bed-sbtrb/sbtrb-05b2-p20004/iteminformation.aspx

I like this sleigh bed because it's simple, the color contrasts with the pine, it has a strong look to it but is a bit elegant, and it has a low footboard.  DH hates hitting his feet on footboards so the traditional sleigh bed arching footboard would not work for us, plus it makes the room look smaller to have a big footboard.  Plus this company (Hooker) makes outstanding quality heavy wooden furniture.  https://www.mountaincomfort.com/hooker-furniture-archivist-king-sleigh-bed-low/5447-90466b-5/iteminformation.aspx

We have pine walls in the great room and two of the bedrooms at our cabin, and they are more of a challenge than I would have thought.  Cherry can be too 'red on red' with them, but natural maple or walnut flooring are excellent.  Hickory log furniture is great, but hickory floors are far too patterned.  It's tricky but super nice when it's all done.  In our master bedroom I studied lots of beds and we finally went with a platform bed in a very dark color that you hardly even see against the floor, with very light bedding and no headboard.  (I would have liked a headboard for practical reasons but it would have meant getting a smaller bed or moving a window, neither of which I was willing to do.  Someday I will weave something to go over the bed, or if I win the lottery commission an original tapestry LOL instead of the headboard.  In the bedroom with the pine walls I used an old, solid rock maple bed from Vermont, which was darker and a bit redder than the pine and looks absolutely stunning. 

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Something like this perhaps:  

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdx/charlton-home-theis-bookcase-headboard-w000059875.html

even if bed stayed off center something like that could help, along with light color curtains, white and bright sheets...  if dh likes it at the spot it is maybe just your side could have a bedside table... and maybe white and purple bulb flowers ...  or Like seasonal group from gardeners catalog...

perhaps painting the toddler bed a light color or white or refinishing the wood to light tones and a  white sheet on it... or sheet to match the big bed

5 hours ago, Pen said:

Instead of tiny corner shelf by side of bed, could bed be put so its head is into the corner with the shelf, and a headboard with built in storage were gotten and the angle shelf adjusted higher or enlarged to fit the space (instead of bedside tables)?

A curtain might need to be adjusted to give a pleasing centered look.  

I think it would just fit that way.  I might try that.

If the bed is moved under the window with 2 nightstands, there won’t be room for the glider anymore.  The room isn’t huge, about 13’x14’, and door placement means that the spot where the glider is and the spot where the toddler bed is are the only spaces for extra furniture.  I already tried turning the toddler bed sideways and putting the glider next to it but the glider stuck out into the doorway for the closet, which is a problem because the baby sleeps in the walk-in and I have to get him a couple times a night in the pitch black.

Purple as an accent color is a good idea.

I’ll have to look into blackout shades to go behind curtains.

3 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

I think it would just fit that way.  I might try that.

If the bed is moved under the window with 2 nightstands, there won’t be room for the glider anymore.  The room isn’t huge, about 13’x14’, and door placement means that the spot where the glider is and the spot where the toddler bed is are the only spaces for extra furniture.  I already tried turning the toddler bed sideways and putting the glider next to it but the glider stuck out into the doorway for the closet, which is a problem because the baby sleeps in the walk-in and I have to get him a couple times a night in the pitch black.

Purple as an accent color is a good idea.

I’ll have to look into blackout shades to go behind curtains.

I have blackout curtains by that same company (plain design) and found them to work really really well.

I’ve had bad luck with shades breaking.  

You might consider going with those curtains or similar, but with daytime tie backs.  If what’s outside isn’t pretty, possibly a sheer inner curtain in white or perhaps even light lavender if purples make you feel happy.  

If tripping at night is a problem, perhaps a Mr Beam motion sensor night light would be a safety precaution.  

On 4/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, Lawyer&Mom said:

I would center the bed under the window.  Add nightstands and lamps if you can. 

I am adding my vote to this as well. 

On 4/10/2019 at 7:51 PM, caedmyn said:

The wood is actually in really good shape.  DH says it’s blue pine and I guess that’s how it naturally looks.  I’m not a fan of it in the bedroom but he loves it so I doubt he’d agree to painting over it, unfortunately.  Would long curtains look funny since they’d cover parts of it and would go down behind the bed?

You can make your curtain rod wider than the window so that you can have the curtains hang behind the nightstands. If you need to fudge it a bit to get the bed centered, a longer rod might let you be slightly off center from the window, but no one would know because the fabric would hide it.

I can't see the colors accurately. I think it's reasonable to change one or two things at a time and see what you like or don't like about it if you aren't sure you're going to pull it off in one swoop.

So...DH objects to long curtains.  Says they will get in the way.  Sometimes I just want to bang my head against the wall...

If I got sheer curtains would they look better short than heavier curtains would?  I could just put blackout shades behind them.

22 minutes ago, caedmyn said:

So...DH objects to long curtains.  Says they will get in the way.  Sometimes I just want to bang my head against the wall...

If I got sheer curtains would they look better short than heavier curtains would?  I could just put blackout shades behind them.

You can get blackout curtains if you want to.

or sheer with shades

I don’t think you need long ones.  Though if you want darkness they should go enough down from sill to block light well.

What looks odd to me is the curtains with the bed under part of curtain, not under part of curtain.     That could be solved by centering bed, extending curtains, or perhaps by putting bed on diagonal.   

Tbh, to maximize space, I might leave bed where it is, put a headboard with storage on bed, maybe a bedside table for your side (move the footstool or whatever that is). And extend both sets of curtains (I would use blackout ones) all the way into corner— so that curtains extend about as far past foot of bed as they do past the chair side.  

A headboard would solve the odd gap between short curtains and top of bed.  And give more finished look plus place to set things.  Such as perhaps your basket of live purple crocus, followed by purple iris, followed by purple Lillies, delphiniums, gladiolus...    as seasons progress  I think *White*. curtain behind and white bedspread / sheet/ futon cover might set off your purple flowers very nicely.    

I found some pics of beds in front of window. Long curtains:IMG_4391.JPG.0decd7aeb4048d917a3fe65a8f69763e.JPGIMG_4393.thumb.JPG.b619042a274611c64336f9eb2d3ff05d.JPG

And then my suggestion, which is skip curtains altogether and go clean lines with blackout shades. Though, because your windows are smaller, a headboard would help. Shades:

IMG_4394.JPG.945fbdad10bc42d0dfa49133c8d92184.JPG

The only thing I find clashing in the original room photo is the crisp white in the bedding and the cream/off-white (?) walls. I'd tie  the blue and cream together with bedding. Something like: IMG_4395.thumb.JPG.e9c7038dea45cbd0ebf2c8f6be998a29.JPG

• Like 2

A short curtain over short paneling look.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=bedrooms+with+short+curtains&client=safari&hl=en-us&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjMnO3xotHhAhVTo54KHYk0BRsQ_AUoAXoECAsQAQ#imgrc=vNJUz3FY1MlMjM

I May be more used to short curtain look than some people due to living places with tall radiators under windows.  Short curtains above the radiator.  

Wait...you asked? My dh has IMO silly opinions on home decorating and when I just DO something he sees that I have a better eye than he does. But he can’t picture it himself. So I don’t ask. I just do it. (Exceptions are things that affect the structure of the house like painting stuff) 

through the years he’s come to trust my taste. But still...there are still times when I just go ahead and do things and he likes the results.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Wait...you asked? My dh has IMO silly opinions on home decorating and when I just DO something he sees that I have a better eye than he does. But he can’t picture it himself. So I don’t ask. I just do it. (Exceptions are things that affect the structure of the house like painting stuff) 

through the years he’s come to trust my taste. But still...there are still times when I just go ahead and do things and he likes the results.

I make the decorating decisions here, as well. I ask DH but his eyes kinda glaze over at paint samples and such. Besides, I've been training for this! Why else do I watch all this hgtv?!

(On the flip side, my dad is also a forgiveness over permission person. My mom came home from work one day a couple of months ago to find he'd partially removed a WALL between the living and dining to make it more open. I think HE'S been watching too much HGTV since retiring, haha!)

• Like 2