Menu

New York - Brooklyn, safety, and do we do the Statue of Liberty or just ferry by?

Familia

There are great old threads on NYC!  But, I still have questions...

Visiting with young adult in May who shares my desire to just enjoy the locale.  Plan to spend time on Wall Street, take a food tour, and do a show.  Want to walk the high line.  I do not think DS will want to go into the Statue of Liberty, but will we regret missing it?  He plans to spend time on Wall St.  Any tips there?  And, we're considering Brooklyn for cost and quaintness.  Is safety, returning at night from shows, a concern?  We plan to walk and take the subway everywhere.  Thank you!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Familia said:

There are great old threads on NYC!  But, I still have questions...

Visiting with young adult in May who shares my desire to just enjoy the locale.  Plan to spend time on Wall Street, take a food tour, and do a show.  Want to walk the high line.  I do not think DS will want to go into the Statue of Liberty, but will we regret missing it?  He plans to spend time on Wall St.  Any tips there?  And, we're considering Brooklyn for cost and quaintness.  Is safety, returning at night from shows, a concern?  We plan to walk and take the subway everywhere.  Thank you!

I know very little but we did do the high line which I LOVED. Also  we took the Staten Island ferry and the view of SOL is awesome and was plenty for me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been to NYC a lot of times, about 4 or five times as a kid or teen, then a lot more when dating dh and then in our early marriage since we lived in northern NJ for about 4 months.  I have never been on the island with Statue of Liberty and never felt that I really had to go there or when we did take our kids there, it wasn't a priority either.  We saw the Statue of Liberty and that was enough.

• Like 2

We went to NYC with the whole family (4 kids ages 4-13 at the time) Dec. 2016.  We did ride the ferry over to the island and tour the Statue of Liberty.  We also did the Ellis Island tour.  We LOVED it.  For us, nothing beat seeing the statue up close.  Ellis Island was interesting and enjoyable to us, too. We have no regrets about taking the day to do this.  I’d say it’s one of our top favorite memories from NYC. 

So I guess I’m the dissenting voice. 😝

• Like 1

You can buy tickets for the ferry to Liberty and Ellis islands the day of, you don't need to buy them in advance. There's no "window" that you "missed" - though if you go that route, you'll want to get there early in the morning, both to dodge the line and also because that excursion is a full day trip.

A few years ago I actually got a Citypass and dragged the kids all through those tourist things because I figured they shouldn't grow up in the city without doing that stuff just once. I will say that Ellis Island is the whitest place they have ever been! I think they and their friend might have been the only black people there that day. It was fun, if  lengthy - if you just want to SEE the statute then we've got a great view from the Staten Island Ferry, and that's free round trip. (Plus, once you're here you can take the train down two stops and get some Sri Lankan food. That eggplant is to die for.)

Safety shouldn't be an issue at all.

Question: When you say you plan to "spend time on Wall Street", what do you mean by that? There isn't really much to *do* there unless you're thinking of going up to the top of the new WTC.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been but several relatives have and I have friends who live fairly close. 

Statue of Liberty: as you can see, some people are fine waving at it from the ferry, some people must see it up close! I will say that no one has ever told me they wished they hadn't gone, all have given very positive reviews - and these are mostly people who aren't history buffs at all. Most sites say that the ferry ride will take 2+ hours, so if I'm in that deep I'm just going to add a couple of hours and do it all. I personally can't imagine being in NYC and not setting foot on Ellis Island! It's the source of New York's powers 😄

Safety:  walking and taking the subway is how most people get around NYC and the boroughs, use standard precautions for being in a big, unfamiliar city and that's all you can do. The subway is one of the safer places to be at night. If you aren't familiar with Brooklyn, you can hop onto a site like Tripadvisor and usually get useful information.  Brooklyn is quite large itself, so you're going to have to ask about specific areas to stay in. 

Wall Street: here's a pretty recent list of things to do & see! https://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2017/05/what-to-do-wall-street-new-york-city/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We took the free Staten island ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, but I don’t think you will regret going if you want.

My only experience in Brooklyn was very good. My ds8 got a bloody nose and my dh and the other kids were somewhere else with my phone. I had no money, tissues, or a phone on me (was supposed to meet dh in a few minutes). So many people stopped to help-bought him a bottle of water, got napkins, let me use their phone to call dh. It was just a little thing (though it was a pretty big bloody nose), but so many people helped and I didn’t ask. I don’t think we looked too distraught. I really didnt expect people in a big city to notice and have time to stop and help. So, my vote is that people are pretty nice in Brooklyn :).

Edited by lovinmyboys
  • Like 2

I went ages visiting NYC without ever going to the Statue of Liberty. The times I saw it, I just did the Staten Island Ferry, which requires zero advanced planning and is a nice ride with a lovely view. You'll see other tourists doing it too. If you're planning on going to the WTC stuff, then it's really not that far away to do the ferry.

However, last time we went a few months ago, we did finally "do" the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and that was totally worth it as well. It was really nice - the kids enjoyed it. There's a free audio tour of each and the walk around the statue is nice. We skipped going to the top. Ellis Island was also very worth the trip. It was a solid half day though. We did get tickets in advance and they can sell out during the busy season, but usually you can get tickets the day of and the line isn't much longer.

So, basically, it depends on your priorities. No bad choice. There's always plenty to do in NYC.

I would not be worried about safety. You always want to be careful... but I find that non-city people are often way too worried about cities. Manhattan is very safe. Brooklyn is very safe. You'll be fine. If you're just doing touristy things though, I'd stay in Manhattan. You can usually find an AirBnB for a decent rate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NYC is one of my favorite cities in the world.  When we went as a family, we took the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and walked around the island a bit, but I think we would have been fine waving at it.  On the other hand, we really enjoyed Ellis Island and spent quite a bit of time there in the museum and such.  My kids found it fascinating.

We've always felt very safe in NYC, even at night.  We often used the subways.  Just use common sense.

We had a picnic lunch in Central Park one day, and that was fun.

I hear there's a new museum that has opened since I was last there, and I'd love to go.  It's called the Tenement Museum.

https://www.tenement.org

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember very well touring the Statue of Liberty.  That was before 9/11 so I am not sure if they still permit this. We climbed up into the statue. I remember how big the head was when I was inside it. 

I recommend touring it if at all possible. Also, I recommend taking a bus tour of NYC. I took an (all day?) tour and they can show you more in one day than you would see by yourself in 4 or 5 days.  Also took an all day tour in DC and they herd you around, but you see a lot of places you probably wouldn't have time to see by yourself on one of those bus tours.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I went ages visiting NYC without ever going to the Statue of Liberty. The times I saw it, I just did the Staten Island Ferry, which requires zero advanced planning and is a nice ride with a lovely view. You'll see other tourists doing it too. If you're planning on going to the WTC stuff, then it's really not that far away to do the ferry.

However, last time we went a few months ago, we did finally "do" the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island and that was totally worth it as well. It was really nice - the kids enjoyed it. There's a free audio tour of each and the walk around the statue is nice. We skipped going to the top. Ellis Island was also very worth the trip. It was a solid half day though. We did get tickets in advance and they can sell out during the busy season, but usually you can get tickets the day of and the line isn't much longer.

So, basically, it depends on your priorities. No bad choice. There's always plenty to do in NYC.

I would not be worried about safety. You always want to be careful... but I find that non-city people are often way too worried about cities. Manhattan is very safe. Brooklyn is very safe. You'll be fine. If you're just doing touristy things though, I'd stay in Manhattan. You can usually find an AirBnB for a decent rate.

This.  

• Like 1

We went to the Tenement Museum just this past May on my daughter's senior trip. We just walked in and bought a tour that was leaving in about half an hour. So it is possible to get a last minute tour. But to get the one you want it probably is best to make arrangements in advance. It was fun, but there are so many fun things to do in NYC.

• Like 2

I vote ferry. It was one of our favorite NYC experiences.  I just don't think the price to go close up is worth it and you are too close to really see it, right?  Maybe someone who spent the money can chime it about the value.  We didn't want to take the time either.  After the ferry, walk to the South Street Seaport Historic Waterfront district.  Get Van Leeuwen's Ice Cream at Front Street.  they make it there and they have amazing vegan ice cream too (if you need that).  

Definitely do the High Line and Central Park.  Eat, haha, my kids enjoyed the food options.

We chose to stay in East Manhattan.  We felt safe walking back late at night.  We had never been to NYC and expected to feel unsafe and on guard but it actually felt super safe.  DD and I walked back from a show through Times Square late at night, just the two of us.  We never made it to Brooklyn so I really have no idea how it compares.  We did feel a little less safe/more crowded down toward Wall Street/NYU areas.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Question: When you say you plan to "spend time on Wall Street", what do you mean by that? There isn't really much to *do* there unless you're thinking of going up to the top of the new WTC.

My ds is a mathematics/finance geek, so he would spend all week there LOL,He is networking to have coffee w/a quant (gasp!  All those years of preaching that, he is a now a committed networker), visiting the museum of finance, and just hanging out there.  From katilac's posted list, I think there will be more to do in that section for me than I had thought.  The history and restaurants will keep me busy when there.

16 hours ago, katilac said:

...Brooklyn, you can hop onto a site like Tripadvisor and usually get useful information.  Brooklyn is quite large itself, so you're going to have to ask about specific areas to stay in. 

Wall Street: here's a pretty recent list of things to do & see! https://www.eatandtravelwithus.com/2017/05/what-to-do-wall-street-new-york-city/

Thanks for that wonderful list.  Got me motivated to spend more time there than I had thought!

11 hours ago, Farrar said:

... but I find that non-city people are often way too worried about cities. 

I am such the Country Mouse now!!  LOL  Once in a city, the City Mouse in me usually comes out...When I was growing up, an elderly neighbor sent me weekly on an errand to the nearby large metropolitan city via bus.  And, my parents had no problem with this.  I was in 5th grade!  She wanted a pound cake from a department store.  I would carry that poundcake in it's cardboard box wrapped with string back on the bus weekly.   Good memories!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Familia said:

So, about the ferry.  Does one get motion sick on a ferry?  I am prone to that, sigh! 

As I plan, I am getting so ridiculously excited!!  Trip Advisor, Airbnb, Google Maps...the trip itself will be at least half the fun=)

I didn't and I do tend to get motion sickness.  I didn't look down when pulling away, instead I looked out.  It doesn't move fast.  The views are amazing.  Make sure to go to the right side when entering if you want to see the Statue.  It doesn't turn around and that throws some people, they go left thinking it will back up.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

If Governor island is open (opens in May sometime, take the ferry there, rent bikes or just walk around and you have great views on the statute of liberty

(I’m a broken record and half my posts here are a version of the above 😂)

I think that is a wonderful idea.  Ds would surely like to do something more active.  (as if walking miles/day isn't active enough=)  And, now we have an extra day because 4 nights just wasn't enough!

26 minutes ago, Familia said:

My ds is a mathematics/finance geek, so he would spend all week there LOL,He is networking to have coffee w/a quant (gasp!  All those years of preaching that, he is a now a committed networker), visiting the museum of finance, and just hanging out there.  From katilac's posted list, I think there will be more to do in that section for me than I had thought.  The history and restaurants will keep me busy when there.

Thanks for that wonderful list.  Got me motivated to spend more time there than I had thought!

I am such the Country Mouse now!!  LOL  Once in a city, the City Mouse in me usually comes out...When I was growing up, an elderly neighbor sent me weekly on an errand to the nearby large metropolitan city via bus.  And, my parents had no problem with this.  I was in 5th grade!  She wanted a pound cake from a department store.  I would carry that poundcake in it's cardboard box wrapped with string back on the bus weekly.   Good memories!

Is your son in college? My son is starting as a quant this summer at a prop firm that does market making. They are great jobs to get so well worth learning as much as possible in order to get them. Quora and Glass Door both have good info about internships and interviews. The interviews for internships can take 2 days or so. They're intense. Basically on-the-fly problem solving. Jane Street's is super intense. Internships often lead to offers. That is how my son got his job.

If he's interested in Jane, it's just a few blocks south of Chelsea Market which is a fun place to check out or grab something to eat. Chelsea Market is near the High Line.

• Thanks 1

We lived in Brooklyn for about five years.  I always felt safe (Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst).  We used to take the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty, but I never went to see it until about a year and a half ago.  (It was closed for quite some time.)   I'm so glad I did.  I really loved it.  It was a pain driving to the ferry....as we were out on Long Island.... but still, I'm so glad I did.  It really meant a lot to me.   Had family who came through Ellis Island in the 1800s....so that was really cool.  My kids who were 7-14 all enjoyed it too.  Did not regret the time/money at all. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Familia said:

So, about the ferry.  Does one get motion sick on a ferry?  I am prone to that, sigh! 

I get motion sick on all the things but ferries are pretty good because you can usually be standing out in the open air. If I have to sit inside on a ferry, I usually get a big oogie after ten minutes or so. 

• Thanks 1

The ferry to the Statue of Liberty is fairly small and bouncy. You can get sick there.

The ferry to Staten Island is huge and not very bouncy and has a flat bottom. I've never heard of anybody getting motion sickness, even if they were drunk (and you can drink beer on the boat!)

If your son is a finance geek I suppose that's different. There is a Museum of Finance somewhere around there, close to the Museum of the American Indian.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HeighHo said:

If you get to Grand Central, take a moment to go over to NYPL's Schwarzman building which is very close, on 5th Avenue.  They have tours, but at the minimum go upstairs to the McGraw Rotunda and see the Laning Murals.  These are WPA Projects: https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/new-york-public-library-murals-new-york-ny/

Ohhh, I really like WPA projects, thank you!

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

The ferry to the Statue of Liberty is fairly small and bouncy. You can get sick there.

The ferry to Staten Island is huge and not very bouncy and has a flat bottom. I've never heard of anybody getting motion sickness, even if they were drunk (and you can drink beer on the boat!)

If your son is a finance geek I suppose that's different. There is a Museum of Finance somewhere around there, close to the Museum of the American Indian.

That is reassuring about the ferry!

One day we will just have to do our own things...I cannot wait to walk down and window-shop along 5th avenue, which he would abhor, and he can do his own thing in the financial district.  Along the lines of the 'Top 10' DK NY book someone recommended, I googled "unusual stores in New York" and found all sorts of store lists...wow...what a crazy place!

I never really experienced NYC as a tourist, but lived in both Manhattan and Brooklyn many years ago.  So take this w/ grain of salt based on time and different purposes being there.  

I very much enjoyed Brooklyn as it was quieter and more restful and had its own eateries, ethnic neighborhoods, Prospect Park, etc.   

but if you want to do things in Manhattan primarily , it would be a lot easier to be staying in Manhattan.  Especially if you are doing things that might benefit from being able to stop by your temporary home base during the day.

I never personally experienced any significant crime problems in NYC, but it seemed like significant vigilance was always needed.  And I do know a number of people who got mugged. (Or pickpocketed, though I think that’s less disturbing.)

Personally, I did not feel especially comfortable on late night returns to Brooklyn by subway, unless I had a group I was with. But realistically it was probably actually more dangerous near Times Square theater district or Lincoln Center.  But also more populated and there being people around tended to give a greater sense of safety, even if not statistically warranted.  

Possibly if you have a teenage / young adult son along this would help.  I’d rather have more than two since a classmate young adult man I knew and his girlfriend were held up / mugged together as he was walking her home for her safety.  

I think per population of people there, NYC is probably safer than where I am now.  But it still felt like a great deal more vigilance was needed. And per square mile where I am now is probably safer.  Oddly, I knew 2 people in NYC who were killed by being run over by street sweepers.  I don’t know if it’s a rare odd coincidence, or if street sweepers are a lot more dangerous than one might normally think.  

• Thanks 1

I don't know what "many years ago", but it's worth noting that the crime rate in NYC, like in the nation as a whole, has dropped significantly since the early 1990s. There's a lot less muggings and pickpocketings than there was, and certainly less of other crimes as well.

• Thanks 1