Menu

Don't make me blush, but...

PeterPan

27 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Costco. Throw 'em in the cart next to the cheese. 

Carole Hochman granny-panties. No seams, cover my muffin top, no shame.

Haha, that's been me, and I'm not even that elevated, only Walmart! :biggrin:

18 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Soma’s got a big sale right now if you want fancy underpants- 

https://www.soma.com/store/sale/panties-extra-50pct-off-when-you-buy-6-or-more/cat11889524

Thank you, yes, that's the adventurous I didn't know about! I need to think about this. I thought you were supposed to wear cotton undies and that synthetics were sin and would make you (I don't know get infections or something), so I always just buy cotton. But those are quite pretty! Are these things found in stores? It might be a stretch to imagine having something fit that I order online.

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Thank you, yes, that's the adventurous I didn't know about! I need to think about this. I thought you were supposed to wear cotton undies and that synthetics were sin and would make you (I don't know get infections or something), so I always just buy cotton. But those are quite pretty! Are these things found in stores? It might be a stretch to imagine having something fit that I order online.

Well I live in the hot humid south and I couldn’t imagine poly anything for summer. Like wearing a plastic bag....

anyway, polyester and such make my skin crawl. So I might do soma for” fancy” times, but for day to day, boring old cotton is my go-to.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, if I bought high-waisted granny panties, DH would revolt. Its easier if I find something I like with decent coverage than to leave myself in his hands, lol.  Cotton crotch is sufficient to avoid problems for me, YMMV. Open crotch boy shorts are also quite comfy. :blush:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Soma’s got a big sale right now if you want fancy underpants- 

https://www.soma.com/store/sale/panties-extra-50pct-off-when-you-buy-6-or-more/cat11889524

😱 Over $20 for a single pair of underwear. Gonna add buying a $20 pair of underwear to my bucket list 😂

And clicking that link reminded me to try boyshort style underwear one day. They look comfy!

• Like 1

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

Well I live in the hot humid south and I couldn’t imagine poly anything for summer. Like wearing a plastic bag....

anyway, polyester and such make my skin crawl. So I might do soma for” fancy” times, but for day to day, boring old cotton is my go-to.

And if they have to be fancy washed, I'm with you that I'm probably sticking with my boring cotton ones in some kind of upgrade. 

What I haven't figured out is why my butt requires sizes not sold in stores. I mean, seriously, I know I'm plump, but I'm not THAT plump. Are the measurements on the bags just THAT OFF?? Nothing ever seems right on me.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I've liked Jockey 100% cotton brand that I found at Kohl's for many years.   These are the ones I get.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1729625/jockey-elance-3-pk-briefs-1484-womens.jsp?color=White Asst&prdPV=8

But they also have French Cut and Bikini's.  Regular and plus sized as well.

I'll second these. They last a long time. 

I also appreciate the fact the waist and leg elastic is covered in fabric. I'm sensitive to Latex, so if the elastic touches my skin, I end up with a rash. No problem with these. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

That's what my mom has drilled into me always.  I thought she made up the whole thing!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I just throw everything in the washing machine inside of a lingerie bag. In theory you’re supposed to hang everything to dry to save the elastic (but I don’t always do that.) 

Ok now lingerie bag I can do! I can even hang things up, don't mind that. 

41 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I need to find some, too.  My last ones from the Jockey outlet are holding up well, but they have those little pills(?) on them.

Wow and Jockey are kind of expensive. I've had my Hanes (or whatever is the lowest thing Walmart sells that came in my size) for way too long and they have zero pills. Pills would be total dealbreaker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

The one time I tried boyshorts was when I was pregnant. They came in a variety pack of maternity underwear and they were not comfy. Maybe I should try again?

Depends on your body type, I suppose. I'm an hourglass, small waist and big boobs and hips but flatter tush. This works for me w/no panty lines.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I cannot tolerate thongs of any kind and think they look horrible on me but DH loves these and I find them pleasantly tolerable. 

You've outclassed me, lol. I'm chuckling over the review that suggests they're "not an everyday item." I guess I was looking for everyday underwear. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

You've outclassed me, lol. I'm chuckling over the review that suggests they're "not an everyday item." I guess I was looking for everyday underwear. :biggrin:

LOL, well, in hot climates and while wearing professional dresses and skirts, those are surprisingly handy and comfortable. Also, yep, no spousal complaints, lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

You might look at Third Love then. They have the most excellent customer service ever. I’ve bought bras from them, but not underpants. Yet. 

I'm looking there right now. They might work. I'm clicking the sizing guide to learn more.

16 minutes ago, Petrichor said:

😱 Over $20 for a single pair of underwear. Gonna add buying a $20 pair of underwear to my bucket list 😂

And clicking that link reminded me to try boyshort style underwear one day. They look comfy!

Well they had some kind of 50% of deal AND a 20% coupon...

• Haha 1

I'm looking for some too.

Last January I desperately needed an underwear overhaul, so I bought a bunch from Victoria's Secret, because that was THE place to get them when I was late teens/early 20s (that or Jockey). Out of 10 or 12 pairs, 3-4 just fell apart within a few months. Two unravelled where the elastic is sewn in, and one or two split open along a seam. Most of the rest are looking shabby, with the exception of the solid-color cotton ones with lace trim. I'm wearing the correct size and taking reasonably good care of them. They're just not built like they used to be.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lavender's green said:

I'm looking for some too.

Last January I desperately needed an underwear overhaul, so I bought a bunch from Victoria's Secret, because that was THE place to get them when I was late teens/early 20s (that or Jockey). Out of 10 or 12 pairs, 3-4 just fell apart within a few months. Two unravelled where the elastic is sewn in, and one or two split open along a seam. Most of the rest are looking shabby, with the exception of the solid-color cotton ones with lace trim. I'm wearing the correct size and taking reasonably good care of them. They're just not built like they used to be.

Oh dear, that's awful! 

Well right now the Kohl's 20% off sitewide on top of the sale is looking pretty good on those Jockeys...  But I could buy them and nothing fits, sigh. I'm going to get dd to help me. She's a whiz at fit.

Well I have good news and bad news. Good news is, dd measured me and will help me figure out a size. Bad news she says I'm MUFFINY, lol. She then apologized and said apple, that I'm between hourglass and pear. My lands. 

So muffiny is why the boy shorts didn't fit right. But the low cut briefs I've been wearing are appropriate and the Third Love Cheekys I was eyeing she said would be appropriate.

And I also remembered why I hate Kohls, because they always make me feel pressured. (buy right now before the sale ends, blah blah)

So low cut briefs or get wild and try cheeky. :biggrin: I may just order some things and see what happens.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Well I have good news and bad news. Good news is, dd measured me and will help me figure out a size. Bad news she says I'm MUFFINY, lol. She then apologized and said apple, that I'm between hourglass and pear. My lands. 

So muffiny is why the boy shorts didn't fit right. But the low cut briefs I've been wearing are appropriate and the Third Love Cheekys I was eyeing she said would be appropriate.

And I also remembered why I hate Kohls, because they always make me feel pressured. (buy right now before the sale ends, blah blah)

So low cut briefs or get wild and try cheeky. :biggrin: I may just order some things and see what happens.

Don't shy away from the cheeky ones either. They don't work for me but they're really cute on the right body type and don't show lines! I'm LOLing over MUFFINY. It sounds like something my DD would say "In the nicest way, Mom."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

teenagers are hard on the self-esteem, I've found.  I am also muffiny.

conversation between DD13 and me this past summer (names edited out as I sent this as a report to my sister):

So DD13 and I are discussing clothes in the car (such is life with a
teenager, it turns out).

DD13: "But I do like this new shirt you got me." [note: it's blue and
white striped with lace on the back]
Me: "I knew you'd like it because I like it, but it's a little too
fancy for me to wear."
DD13: "Yeah, because you wear sweatpants everywhere."
Me: "They are not sweat pants.  They are Activewear."
[for reference, these are the pants:
https://www.ae.com/aerie-real-soft-harem-pant-dark-heather/aerie/s-prod/0701_3824_030?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat5270002]
DD13: "They look like sweatpants."
Me: "No, they look like Activewear because I bought them on the
American Eagle website under the Active Wear section.  They're cool.
Active wear is cool right now, I read it on the internet."
DD13: "Moooom, cool active wear is like a neon green shirt with the
back cut out or tight black pants with neon designs and parts cut out
of the sides."
Me :"That stuff looks stupid.  My pants are technically Active Wear
and so they qualify as cool pants."
DD13: "Yeah but you're not very active, so it's not really Active Wear for you."

Ugh, teenagers.  Not great for the self-esteem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, fairfarmhand said:

I’m listening too. Bonus points for ones with pretty colors, patterns and styles but a big fat no to anything that won’t stay where it ought to.

can I get a link to the amazon ones you all like?

the ones I linked fit that bill.  I like the briefs and (when I get the right size😏) they stay where they're supposed to 

• Like 1

I really, really like these.  I buy them at Kohl's or Macy's when they have sales.  They come in both all cotton, and nylon with cotton-lined crotch.  This link shows all the colors they come in:   https://www.amazon.com/Warners-Womens-Pinching-Problems-Hipster/dp/B01NGZK3H3/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_193_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=KYWEYAM52F0R1WJRW1RK&th=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another Soma fan. They have cotton crotches, so even if the rest is synthetic they breathe. And they don't ride up.

That's a great sale happening now! They're all I wear, except for boy shorts for working out, and they last for years. I machine wash in a garment bag and hang on bedroom doorknobs to dry. The occasional spin in the dryer won't hurt, but if you do it all the time I think it does shorten the life.

Amy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I cannot tolerate thongs of any kind and think they look horrible on me but DH loves these and I find them pleasantly tolerable. 

So glad to know these exist! I find thongs horribly uncomfortable but would like something more fun than my everyday Soma briefs.

Amy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I really, really like these.  I buy them at Kohl's or Macy's when they have sales.  They come in both all cotton, and nylon with cotton-lined crotch.  This link shows all the colors they come in:   https://www.amazon.com/Warners-Womens-Pinching-Problems-Hipster/dp/B01NGZK3H3/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_193_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=KYWEYAM52F0R1WJRW1RK&th=1

Ooo, those are super cute, thanks! I ordered a pair, and we'll see if they work. I'm not sure whether I should be going 9 or 10, and Kohls had the audacity NOT TO BE OPEN at midnight last night! Well I guess I could have gone to Walmart, lol. Anyways, I like those and hope they work, thanks. :smile:

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I wear Hanes-her-way (or is it Fruit of the loom?) cotton bikinis. I have nicer stuff from Soma and other places, but I call those “stunt panties” and don’t reach for them every day. 😬

LOL, stunt panties!!!!!!! Ok, we're keeping it clean here. But yeah, this has been an education on a few things I didn't know existed. :biggrin: cough cough 

I think I'm going to head to the store today and try some things on. I should be cleaning ds' office, but why do that when you can shop? :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I ordered these based on reviews.  

COSOMALL Women's 6 Pack Cotton Underwear Beyond Soft Brief Panties https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GF5N5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WgclCbHRB38N3

How do you decide sizing? By the chart on the site, my sturdy 46" hips would be an XL, but one of the reviews says an XL was like a size 8 elsewhere, which assuredly would NOT fit me, lol.  Ok, I ordered a 2XL (which is what I'd be on ThirdLove) and will hope for the best.

This may become an exhaustive survey of plus size underwear if I keep ordering. :biggrin:

Edited by PeterPan

12 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, those are super cute, thanks! I ordered a pair, and we'll see if they work. I'm not sure whether I should be going 9 or 10, and Kohls had the audacity NOT TO BE OPEN at midnight last night! Well I guess I could have gone to Walmart, lol. Anyways, I like those and hope they work, thanks. :smile:

I wear a 10 in the Hanes Comfortsoft Low-rise Brief, and it blows my mind that I can't find them *in the stores*. Like really, Walmart? You don't have people my size (or bigger) buying drawers here?  But like I said upthread, I can't recommend them anymore because they've been forming holes waaaay to quickly. (And the reviews on Amazon--where I purchase-- confirm that this is a common problem.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

I wear a 10 in the Hanes Comfort fit and it blows my mind that I can't find them *in the stores*. Like really, Walmart? You don't have people my size (or bigger) buying drawers here?  But like I said upthread, I can't recommend them anymore because they've been forming holes waaaay to quickly. (And the reviews on Amazon--where I purchase-- confirm that this is a common problem.)

We ARE twins!! LOL Ok, so this is tmi, but I have a few pairs (from Walmart, Hanes) that were from BEFORE Hanes decided to junk up their underwear. They have nicely wrapped seams everywhere and are just noticeably nicer. So I was fishing around on the Hanes site last night (because everyone is running deals, must be a thing to buy underwear with your Christmas money, haha) and I thought I saw something similar. Maybe we can both go look? I don't remember names, but they have dots and the ones I really liked (before Hanes ruined the newer models) had dots.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes-womens-plus-low-rise-brief-23909?categoryId=21084

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/hanes-ultimate-cool-comfort-fit-cotton-stretch-4-pair-knit-hipster-panty-41cswb/ppr5007219456?pTmplType=regular&catId=cat100240041&deptId=dept20000013&urlState=/g/hanes-panties-thongs/N-bwo3xD1nohplZwkZ9b&productGridView=medium&selectedSKUId=12340030489&facetSelected=size

That 2nd link is definitely the ones. Well not exactly definitely, because I thought mine were low rise briefs, not hipster. But the print is the same and the covering of the elastics is the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I feel like I have to spend 30 minutes crawling around the aisle looking for things only for them not to have the right size.

Yup, it's why I gave up, because the stores just weren't carrying my size and I didn't have time to scrounge so much. You're right though, time to order online and move on. Hanes looks easy to order from through their website, though I don't understand why they don't have ALL their products. My dd says JCP is the place to go, that the prices are better than Kohls. 

1 hour ago, OKBud said:

Patagonia.

I bought six pairs almost 10 years ago (I remember it exactly because it was when my husband was in bootcamp) and those six pairs were my *only* unders for like 4 years. I have more pairs now, but the original six are still absolutely fine. So worth it. 

https://www.patagonia.com/shop/womens-bras-underwear?start=0&sz=24#tile-6

Wow, those were looking really great till I read the reviews saying they now have TAGS in them! But yeah, they look really comfortable.

1 hour ago, Acadie said:

They're all I wear, except for boy shorts for working out

I'm probably not gonna change my underwear to work out. I will say though, I haven't figured out WHY the girls at the gym are wearing cuz they've got their leggings so tight you can see EVERYTHING and there ain't nothing to see. Like I would think even a thong would show, their leggings are so tight. Maybe they wear nothing???

So what would happen if you wore regular Soma undies to the gym and did some burpees and lifted? They'd sag or rearrange? Or it's just not kind to them? You're right, I tend to sweat when I work out, hadn't thought about that.

Right now I'm just ordering things. Can't know unless I give things a try.