Menu

Your favorite appetizer recipes?

Farrar

This is served hot, and takes some time, but most people I've served it to love it:  stuffed baked jalapenos.   The bacon version is my favorite, but the cream cheese version is easier.  https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/baked_stuffed_jalapenos/

I can't find the recipe I use online, and don't have time to type it out right now, but look up muhammara, it's a roasted red pepper and walnut dip/spread. So good with pita or on baguette or crackers.  (I know you didn't say dip, but I missed that thread.)

• Like 3

I know hummus is old hat, but if you buy the World Market Za’atar spice and sprinkle on top, then drizzle with good quality EVOO, it really is an impressive and delicious dip! I especially like it with carrot sticks, bell pepper strips, and pretzels. 

https://www.worldmarket.com/product/world+market®+za'atar+seasoning+spice+bag.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

One of my other favorite apps is sausage balls. I know they’re common for a lot of people, but I only get them at Christmas every other year or so!

All of my other favorite apps would be dip.😉

• Like 2

Another super easy but needs to be made just before serving and served hot. It is a great recipe for a small get together where everyone is gathered around a table or coffee table and you can put the tray down and everyone can dig in.

Turn on broiler. And broil about 1/2 lb (8 slices) of bacon until done. when bacon is cool enough to handle, chop into small pieces and add to about 1 1/2 cups of chunky blue cheese dressing. 

Cut 3 quality bagels in half and lightly broil. Spread the bacon - blue cheese dressing mixture over the bagels and return to broiler until warm and bubbly. 

with your asbestos fingers in place, cut each bagel half into several pieces. It is hot and messy but so yummy!  Serve immediately.

• Like 1

Marinated artichoke hearts. Homemade is way better than the ones you can buy. Unfortunately I don't use a real recipe -

-Canned quartered artichoke hearts in water, drained - I use about 4 cans for 8 adults because we have other appetizers as well
-fresh garlic, minced - about 2 cloves per can I think
-olive oil - I don't know how much, maybe 1T per can? I just pour until it looks right but not too oily
-dried oregano, about 1 T for 4 cans. Again, I do it until it looks right
-salt, just a few pinches

Taste after a few hours and adjust salt or oregano

Make it the day before you want to serve it. 

This recipe actually looks close to my mother's except we don't use lemon or Italian seasoning. Just oregano. Italian seasoning would be good though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sheryl said:

ok that sounds good.  recipe?

I actually don't have it anymore! But it basically was stuffing a date with blue cheese or goat cheese, and then wrapping a strip of bacon around it and baking it until the bacon was cooked. You can also drizzle a glaze made with orange juice over it If I remember right. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I actually don't have it anymore! But it basically was stuffing a date with blue cheese or goat cheese, and then wrapping a strip of bacon around it and baking it until the bacon was cooked. You can also drizzle a glaze made with orange juice over it If I remember right. 

wow, that sounds amazing!  I don't eat a lot of pork but I'll make an exception for this.  So, you have to remove the pit.  I always pinch it out.  Do you go ahead and slice lengthwise?  How do you stuff after pitting?