Menu

Recipes that contain sesame

Spryte

Other than hummus, how do you eat sesame?

DS passed his sesame challenge , whhhhheeeee!  

Now he needs to consume sesame on a daily basis, eventually moving down to several times a week.

I fear hummus will get old.  Any ideas?

Still allergic to tree nuts, peanuts and a ton of other tbings, so we are still limited by what we can find in a non cross contaminated form.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

We use tahini sauce fairly regularly, over chicken, falafel, other things I probably can't think of right now.

Seeds prinkled over stir-fry meals, fried rice

Benne wafers and other baked things, like granola bars

I hope you find lots of things he loves, and it works well for him!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I'm not sure you can find a non CC halva but try!  You can also make a halva spread which is world changing in brownies.  Here's a recipe.

You could make some sesame dressing and put a little on his salad every day. Or maybe have a sesame bagel in the morning. Or make a stir fry with sesame oil. 

• Like 1

The first thing I thought of was this:

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

I apparently watched too much tv in the 80s.

Congratulations on passing the challenge.  That's a huge win!  Where is that party emoji!?!?

• Haha 3

Sesame balls (you can substitute the red been paste with sesame paste from the mochi recipe or just leave out the paste and eat it like fried dough) https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sesame-balls-104210

Matcha Japanese Mochi with sesame filling https://www.radiantrachels.com/matcha-japanese-mochi-black-sesame-filling/

sesame chicken (substituting canola oil or olive oil for peanut oil isn’t an issue) https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/sesame-chicken-recipe-1949668

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spryte said:

This is good, thanks!

I’ll start the research binge to see if I can find a safe tahini - one with no nut X contamination - and get going on some of these ideas.  Yay!  

After so long with zero sesame in our lives, I was drawing a blank.  🙂

I hope you can find one.  If you run into trouble, let me know.  There is an amazing sesame paste from Japan that I bet doesn't have cross contamination issues.  

• Like 1

Oh my!  Now I’m getting excited, this opens so many options.

Next week we test for wheat.  Wheat!!!  Aaaagh!  The possibilities!  All I can think is:  cookies!  Drool.

Then we do the tree nuts, one by one, and dairy.  And eggs,  and peanuts and avocado and banana, and lentil ... Can you imagine if he passes them all and I need to be sure he eats them all three times a week!  Eeeee!  Fingers crossed we have that to manage.  🙂

You can put tahini in a cake called basboussa.  It's a semolina cake.

My husband likes to make a tahini sauce to put on fish and meat.  Tahini is weird....in that you beat it with a fork....and it will start to stiffen up....and then it will kind of release the oils and stuff.  You add some ice water, garlic, spices....maybe a little yogurt.

I like Benihana style veggies.... zucchini, onions, mushrooms, sautéed with sesame seeds.

What about sesame seeds on bread/rolls? Is that considered enough?

Halvah is a sesame based candy that you can usually find in the Kosher section of the grocery store.  I'm not a fan, but my husband is.  There are also these sesame/honey candies too.

• Like 1