Menu

Which sports /social activities?

visitor

Dear all,

Which sports / social activities are your children doing ? My sons are doing taekwondo and swimming but they still want to do more :) 

My oldest son wants to do more with material arts but something different from taekwondo. Any recommendations ? My oldest sons are 9 and 8 years old. 

Thanks in advanced ,

Visitor 

My kids always had a lot of acivities, especially my eldest ds, 10.5yo. He did ballet for 5 years,  tennis for 6 years (2 of them in a sport academy) - he has just dropped it the last month. He is also doing swimming (it's his 7th year), gymnastics (4th year), chess, music school(piano + vocal), olympiad maths club and is about to start a sport programming. 

My yongest did ballet for 2 years, then changed it for gymnastcs and did it for 2 years too. At the moment he is doing swimming (it's his main sport), attending a music school (piano), sailing academy, entrepreneurs classes and about to re-start pottery lessons and robotics. 8 years old. 

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

In the younger years, my kids did baseball or softball, soccer, swimming, basketball, and tennis.  As they got older, they all chose to concentrate on tennis.  All are or will continue playing for their college teams and will continue once they graduate college.

• Like 1

My kids are in b&m school, so they do a number of activities there.  These include band, choir, Power of the Pen, and various school sports.  They attend Youth Group when it works with their schedule.

Outside of school, they both do TaeKwonDo, one rides horses and the other does gymnastics (rec) and running (independent).  We are also in scouts, but are likely to drop that after this year as we are just too busy.

They were attending a book club at the library for a couple years, but had to drop it due to schedule conflicts.

When my kids were too young for school sports (up to age 9), they did soccer and swimming in addition to TKD, gymnastics, horse riding, instrumental music, and scouts.

• Like 1

When my boys were young they did taekwondo, haidong gumdo, judo, and wrestling. They tried out gymnastics, soccer, and football but not for very long and also did youth group through church. Once they got their 2nd degree black belts in taekwondo, both lost interest. Oldest stuck with wrestling and younger ds did guitar and football in high school.

Dd did gymnastics, soccer, and taekwondo briefly when she was young. She spent most of her time growing up doing orchestra, classical violin lessons, and Irish fiddle lessons, gigs, and sessions without much interest in sports. She does yoga but at home so not in a social setting.

• Like 1

In the past, my daughter has done/tried gymnastics, swim, aerial silks, choir, instrument lessons, soccer, several types of dance, trampoline/tumbling, forest/survivalist classes... and probably several things that I’m forgetting.

She currently does Kendo, Destination Imagination, homeschool PE class, and a robotics club.

• Like 1

DS did gymnastics for about 18 months.

Now he does violin at home with me, and we go busking together. We're turning this into a more social activity by inviting other homeschoolers to join us. DS is new to fiddling and needs lots of breaks, so it would be great to just rotate through a few kids at the one spot.

He also attends roller derby training and will start competing next year. He skates with friends on weekends.

• Like 1

Ds11 (not homeschooled) does tennis (once a week plus Saturday summer only).  He played basketball over winter (game one night a week no training) and now basketball has finished is trying Judo once a week).  DS9 (homeschooled) does tap once a week, has a playdate once a week and is doing a 3 week once a week craft class).  They attend Kids Church 2 to 3 times a month.  Ds11 could do more if allowed but ds9 would fall to pieces.

For fun right now we've got Scouts and swimming.

Most of our extracurricular activities seem to be various kinds of therapy... social skills groups, behavioral therapy, speech therapy, social-emotional classes at our public GT magnet, and social communication therapy. And that's just for my ALs! It doesn't even include my GDD kid's therapies!

The homeschoolers also do elective classes in piano, sewing, cooking, programming, robotics, ceramics, and maybe other things I don't remember atm through our homeschool enrichment program one day a week. 

• Like 1

My six year old does cub scouts, choir, and Sunday school, plus "zoo school"once a month and other classes like that from time to time. We'll likely add swimming lessons in the new year and maybe a seasonal sport after that, but she really loves having time free and at these ages it's easy to join other families at the playground. My almost five year old is extremely social, so we'll do more with him, probably, but for now he's just in choir and Sunday school. As the kids get bigger, we're thinking of doing martial arts of some kind as a family, though of course we'd not all be in the same class!

• Like 1

We do co-op on Wednesdays—it is an academic one, though honestly I would prefer a social group if we could find one that would let us in.  My girls do Activity Days, which is a church group for girls, twice a month.  And each kid gets to pick an instrument and a physical activity, so oldest dd does gymnastics and piano, next dd does violin and horseback riding (when weather permits), and older ds does soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring, and plays the cello.  Youngest ds is learning violin from Mom.

• Like 1

My son does a weekly co-op, math circle, computer science circle, chess club, Math Olympaid at the local elementary school, piano, tennis, mixed martial arts, and golf. He is no longer doing swimming or basketball. He also does cotillion, Awana, and youth group.

I stopped coaching his Lego team this year because I just couldn't devote the amount of time to that and wrangling my toddler.

• Like 1

DS (6 in Feb) participates in soccer 2hrs/wk & tennis 1.5hrs a week. It’s his 3rd year of soccer, 1st of tennis. He also participated in gymnastics for a year. In the spring he’ll begin private tutoring for Mandarin (we live in Asia).

I’d love for him to learn an instrument as well, but he’s a bit impulsive still & I don’t want to add things too quickly. Perhaps late next year, after we’re back from our family trip in the autumn. 

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli
  • Like 1

Since they do an individual activity I would sign them up for a team sport involving a ball to gain hand eye/foot coordination. I have my boys -9 and 11 play various sports through the year. One does club/travel soccer but in the winter he plays basketball and in the spring some years he plays baseball. My younger one is also going to start another season of basketball then will play baseball in the spring and he occasionally takes archery and rock climbing classes.

if I had one recommendation for you (I am assuming you live in Belgium?) I would pick basketball. It truly is a global sport, it can be played indoor in winter, and it is easy to go practice on your own or with a couple of friends. There isn't a lot of standing around so kids are getting a lot of exercise and it is 5 players vs. 5 players so all the kids are involved. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DS10 takes an art class once a week and plays Dungeons and Dragons online via Outschool.com once a week.  He also likes going to the weekly library program for pre-teens, and we meet up with friends for social co-op style activities once a week.  He isn't very interested in sports, except for a vague interest in archery, but I want him to be a little bigger and more mature before we start that. 

• 2 months later...
On 19 novembre 2018 at 4:11 PM, Rush said:

My kids always had a lot of acivities, especially my eldest ds, 10.5yo. He did ballet for 5 years,  tennis for 6 years (2 of them in a sport academy) - he has just dropped it the last month. He is also doing swimming (it's his 7th year), gymnastics (4th year), chess, music school(piano + vocal), olympiad maths club and is about to start a sport programming. 

My yongest did ballet for 2 years, then changed it for gymnastcs and did it for 2 years too. At the moment he is doing swimming (it's his main sport), attending a music school (piano), sailing academy, entrepreneurs classes and about to re-start pottery lessons and robotics. 8 years old. 

So what's this entrepreneurs class like? I wouldn't have even thought that existed for kids so young. So now I'm interested in what it entails & wonder if there's something like that in my neck of the woods (& if my child would go for it). 

DD does competitive cheer, piano, teaches a herpetology class for kids, leads a local animal/environmental science club, and attends a teen homeschool social club and a STEM club. She is also very active in the local Pokémon Go community and sometimes does other gaming events. Her herpetology stuff also serves some social benefit. 

My oldest does swimming, rock climbing and creative writing group on and off. He plays piano and produces music on the computer, but that's a solitary endeavor so far.

My twins just started PS so their activities are on hiatus, but DD does soccer, ice skating and girl scouts. DS just does soccer. (He's an extreme introvert and if I'm being quite honest is very attached to his mother. 😂)

DS15, taking his first EC courses has cut back this year to accommodate his academics and FTC team (BIG hours including community outreach & volunteer hrs), still plays HS soccer and adv. piano lessons.

DS13 stilling doing it all Soccer, B-ball, Chess, FLL, piano, band ....😎

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 3:25 AM, Earthmerlin said:

So what's this entrepreneurs class like? I wouldn't have even thought that existed for kids so young. So now I'm interested in what it entails & wonder if there's something like that in my neck of the woods (& if my child would go for it). 

Sorry, I wanted to answer later and it skipped my mind and I've just remembered after seeing the add of our course😅

so here it goes...

52696684_2228667523879878_8026490738814484480_n.jpg

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 3:25 AM, Earthmerlin said:

They also covered money including bitcoins and cryptocurrencies and in the end of the half year course they created Christmas handmade marshmallows and sold them all by them self in the coffee shop, calculated their profit minus cost and earned eu5 each :)

The program is continuing, but ds has dropped it as he thinks he got to know what he wanted to know and the rest he will take from the books and his own project, which he is planning for the next summer together with his brother. The rest of the kids are working on fintech: learning how to create bitcoin and mining. 

Edited by Rush
  • Like 1

On 17 février 2019 at 7:00 AM, Rush said:

Sorry, I wanted to answer later and it skipped my mind and I've just remembered after seeing the add of our course😅

so here it goes...

52696684_2228667523879878_8026490738814484480_n.jpg

Thanks so much for getting back to me on this. Wow, looks wonderful! I will search for something like this in my area. 

• Like 1