Menu

Menopause question (New! UPDATE #2 in post 23 -- or there about)

Suzanne in ABQ

So, it's been two full years since I've had a period (the last one was November 2016, and it was six months before that one). Then, yesterday, I started a period!  WTH?  It's light, but enough to require more than a pantyliner.  Slight pinching sensation, but not painful.  Two days so far.

Does this mean I have to start counting "months since your last period" all over again, or am I still in menopause?  How does this work?  Is this normal?

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

Agreeing with the other posters-- please make an appointment.

I had this and it ended up being the early stages of uterine cancer.  I knew enough to go in and get it checked out early.  I ended up with a hysterectomy-- and no other treatment necessary.

I had been in menopause 2 years before the new bleeding started.

MOST of the time the bleeding is not related to cancer-- but (more likely) and estrogen serge of some sort-- that can still cause other issues so it is worth checking out.

This happened to me as well. I had two light periods of bleeding and then a month of the worst bleeding I ever had. It turned out to be a hormone surge. An internet search will turn up lots of women who have had this happen. So while you should definitely have it checked out, there is not neccessarily an reason to worry yet.

UPDATE: I called the gyn's office.  The earliest available appointment isn't until January (poot), but I told her what was happening, and she was going to let the doctor know, in case there is cause for concern.  I didn't hear anything today, so I'm guessing it's not too alarming at this stage.

Interestingly, I was having a tough time getting my menstrual cup inserted.  I thought it was just lack of practice, but then I realized my cervix is hanging really low, and it's getting in the way. 

The bleeding was much lighter today, and very mucus-y, and there's no pain at all.  I'm thinking it's probably a hormone surge, as KidsHappen mentioned.  No, trulycrabby, I'm not on any HRT, natural or artificial. (Though I have been eating a lot of chocolate.  I've never heard of that causing hormone surges, but it sure would be an easy fix if it does.)  

Anyway, I'm choosing to believe it's nothing serious until I hear otherwise.  I'll let you know if the doctor calls and tells me to come in sooner.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don’t want to sound like an alarmist, but I think you should insist on being seen by the doctor very soon, and if the person on the phone gives you a hard time about it, tell her you at least need to speak with the doctor on the phone some time tomorrow to discuss your concerns.

Hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing, but my gyn always tells me that if I have any bleeding at all, I should come in right away and have it checked out, just to be safe. Will you be able to forgive yourself if you wait until January and then find out something is wrong, and that you should have gotten checked out?

I almost didn’t post because I didn’t want to scare you, but you really shouldn’t be having any bleeding at all at this stage. Certainly, there are non-serious reasons for why it could be happening, but there are also some pretty scary possibilities as well, and it’s really bugging me that the person you spoke with on the phone didn’t take you seriously enough to schedule a quick appointment for you so you can make sure there’s nothing to worry about.

I’m sorry to be a nuisance. I worry about things like this, and you are always so nice. I just want to be sure you’re okay.

• Like 8

That doesn't at all sound like it should wait until January.  With the uterus thing, at the least it could be a prolapse.  At the most it could be something worse.

Is there someone else you can see?  You might even need to go to Urgent Care.

You really should look into getting an endometrial biopsy and/or ultrasound.  That is typically what they will start looking for if you bleed after menopause.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

my sil's dr's nurse was "oh, it's not big deal". . . . she was bleeding constantly.  for months.  she finally attempted to go back in - and her dr wanted to know why she didn't come in sooner.  because the nurse brushed it off.

I've also had nurses brush things off, that were a problem- and not even present it to the dr.

I agree, insist on being seen (they should be able to get you in sooner than january - this isn't' for a wellcheck!)

your primary care should be able to get you in sooner - and they can jump the line to get you follow-up with a gyn if needed.

• Like 1

At my primary care doctor's office, the nurse basically writes down EVERY THING I SAY WRONG. And if I notice (look over her shoulder) and correct her, she just changes it to something else wrong.

I would not trust a "gatekeeping" nurse with this information. If your gyn is scheduled out that far, the nurse is definitely tasked with gatekeeping.

• Like 3

UPDATE: Well, I did get an earlier appoint at Women's Health (Gyn appt. still in Jan, but got an appt. with the CRN in her office in 2 weeks).  Then, got a call that I can't go into their office at all without a referral from my Primary Care doctor.  Called PCM, and her gatekeeper said she would probably be willing to write the referral without actually seeing me (it would be weeks before I could see her, the PCM).  I'm waiting to hear back.  If I don't hear anything today, I'll call in the morning and insist that they do something.

So, the merry-go-round begins.

ETA: The bleeding has stopped, BTW.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Could your PCP send you for an ultrasound at an imaging center, rather than waiting to see the GYN? They do pelvic ultrasounds at those places, and often have less of a wait than regular doctor's offices. That way you'd at least ahve that to give to the GYN or whomever. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2