Menu

Oh, Autumn, where art thou?

sheryl

What the heck happened to autumn/fall? 

Here it is Nov 7 and starting the second week of November tomorrow, it's 65 degrees at 12:30 pm in Charlotte.   I still have fans, etc on!  DH and I went to the mountains to celebrate our anniversary a couple of weeks ago (DD found our first Airbnb, etc)!  The Appalachian mountains are "usually" lit up with a full-scale display of vibrant colors.  No, not this year.  There were a few trees here and there but that's it.  They say the rainier the summer preceding, fall, the more dull the fall foliage (the drier the summer, the more vibrant the colors!). 

I'm betting on experience that we'll have less-contained bugs in this area. 

Here I sit in my t-shirt having just returned from a walk. 

What's on your scoreboard for fall?  Is it "more, less, usual" for your autumn where you live?  I'm so looking forward to cooler temps! 

Normally autumn is beautiful here with temps in the 60s/70s all October. This year, first it was very hot way into September, then we had a lot of rain,  about a week of nice weather, and now it's unseasonally cold and rainy with snow in the forecast. This is NOT how fall is supposed to be here. Can't recall a year the weather has been this awful since we moved here. And we have a good record of the weather since we are outdoors people and can see how the weather was by our hiking/climbing pictures or lack thereof.

BUT: we had absolutely stunning fall colors, the best we have ever seen.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Yes, the triangle. And I can't wait for the temps to drop. 

Well, at least here in the Triad, temps aren't supposed to get out of the 40's next week. But we're topping out around 70 today.

We pretty much had an NC-spring kind of fall -- that is to say, not much of one at all.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Normally autumn is beautiful here with temps in the 60s/70s all October. This year, first it was very hot way into September, then we had a lot of rain,  about a week of nice weather, and now it's unseasonally cold and rainy with snow in the forecast. This is NOT how fall is supposed to be here. Can't recall a year the weather has been this awful since we moved here. And we have a good record of the weather since we are outdoors people and can see how the weather was by our hiking/climbing pictures or lack thereof.

BUT: we had absolutely stunning fall colors, the best we have ever seen.

Hmmm... I'm wondering if we live in the same general area. This is exactly us, too. Loving this color, could do without snow forecasted for early November! ?

Edited by MrsRobinson
Spelling
  • Like 1

Beautiful colors here. Pretty usual fall. Of course, where I live (smack dab in the middle of the 48), the weather is known to be variable. 80s followed the next day by snow. Not unusual.

Warm and wet followed by cool and wet. Some areas already had snow. We, too, have snow in the forecast this week. I'll probably have to turn on the heat soon. Been going without a/c or heat since early August. Was in the low 60s last week (gorgeous!) but only supposed to get into the low 40s today

Edited by RootAnn
Hit save before I was done
  • Like 1

It’s been a little warmer than it should be here, but mostly normal.  The highs are in the upper 70s or low 80s now.  Leaves don’t change color here, but the air quality unfortunately gets worse as it gets cooler.  Some mornings I can’t see across the Nile to Roda Island because of the pollution. I’m hoping for rain soon.

• Like 1

I'll confess now that I've had the a/c on.  In fact, it's been on now!  WAH!  It's lingering..... On top of that, I really like cooler temps.  We could easily move to the Appalachians which dh and I talked about years ago.  It still gets warm in the mountains but overall it's about 10 degrees or more cooler than here in Charlotte!  As soon as I post this, I'll be able to turn off a/c as this night will be cooler and tomorrow is expected to be 60 - FINALLY!  Then it drops to 50's and 40's!!  Can't wait! 

Root Ann,  you say you've been going without a/c or heat since August.  You don't put your heat on in Aug, do you?  In the Midwest?   I know when dh and I lived in Michigan, the cooler temp season is longer.  It starts earlier and ends later but August is really early!

We didn't have fall this year either!  It's usually a favorite time of year, with many days still eating out on our porch.  ?  The summer ended with a bang (hot), and then it seems like the very next day turned into a raw cold rain, which lasted for days and days and days.  And now it has all turned into snow.

• Like 2

Kathy,  yikes!  I know you're in FL, right?  Those are very warm temps for me - lol!  But, I'm originally from Ohio and grew up there.  Also lived in Wisconsin and Michigan before moving to NC, so I'm used to the cooler temps.  ? Jrap,  yes, it's our favorite time of year too!  Quite interesting that within a short window of time your region's temps/precip went from hot to rain to snow.  

Thanks everyone for sharing!  

Ohio--we had basically no spring (it was very early and about a week long), steadily high temps all summer (fewer cooler days or over 100 days but almost always high 80's and 90's) into mid October. We've had about two weeks of fall, and we're expecting snow on Monday. There was snow in the air last night! We've not had a killing frost yet either.

Fall colors were truly stunning. If only we had hills so we could observe those colors better, lol! Most of the trees turned overnight or over just a couple of days. They were green until just about two weeks ago. Wind and rain have knocked most leaves down, but there are a few trees hanging on. It's been a very wet year.