Menu

Do you have a driver who didn't take a car to college?

DawnM

Did your insurance have some sort of "away at college" plan?  I have had people tell me their insurance companies have it, but mine just told me they don't.   I have to pay the $150/mo, even for the 9 months he isn't even home if I want to insure him.

If you have a company that has a different plan, what is it and how much less is it?

Thanks,

Dawn

We didn't send either teen driver to college with a car.  We dropped them from our insurance.  Our insurance agent told us they they would still be able to drive our cars on holidays or if they were home for the Summer.  She told us that the vehicles are insured.  They may be driven occasionally by other licensed drivers that are not on the policy without problem.  You may loan your car to another licensed driver with the understanding that if they get into an accident in your car it will be your insurance that pays.  This is true for where we live (California) and may be different in your state.  When we figured out that dd was home to stay after two years away we put her back on the insurance.  We have/ had Allstate.

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
clarity
  • Like 2

We’ve not done this but I will say that farm burea and farmers both require us to sign exclusions keeping us from allowing our uninsured kids from driving our vehicles. My oldest cannot drive any of ours. She has her own policy on her own car. Younger dd can only drive 2 of the 4 vehicles because 2 are on farmers and 2 on farm bureau. She can only drive the farmers cars. 

Can you sign exclusions? This will mean that you’ll have to drive on holidays and summers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

Did your insurance have some sort of "away at college" plan?  I have had people tell me their insurance companies have it, but mine just told me they don't.   I have to pay the $150/mo, even for the 9 months he isn't even home if I want to insure him.

If you have a company that has a different plan, what is it and how much less is it?

Thanks,

Dawn

This is called NC and insurance.  Seriously, all the odds are stacked against us in this state.  Insurance companies have some crazy advantages here and when I speak to friends out of the state, it is obviously different other places ? 

• Sad 1

And just to confirm, we have a dd in college and we were told the same thing.  The only thing they can do is put her estimated driving amount low, like casual or something like that?

ETA - pleasure, it was called pleasure driving only. 

Edited by Attolia

14 minutes ago, Attolia said:

And just to confirm, we have a dd in college and we were told the same thing.  The only thing they can do is put her estimated driving amount low, like casual or something like that?

ETA - pleasure, it was called pleasure driving only. 

OH, yes, she used that phrase with me today.

Yes. State Farm has an “away at college” plan for students more than 100 Miles (I think) away. That way they stay continuously insured which is better for them in the long run and they can drive when home. I can’t remember exactly now much it saved because when we’ve done it we’ve been adding the next teen driver at the same time. ? 

Maybe they don’t have that in NC.

This was the thing that caused us to switch to State Farm. Our son wasn’t that far away, but it was far enough, combined with the fact that he lived off campus, that he didn’t have to be on our policy at all, but could still drive during school breaks. Because he didn’t get his license until right before he left for college, we’ve never paid for insurance for him. He paid for his own after he bought a used car later in college.

Another good thing about State Farm I just discovered today is that they give a substantial discount if you drive fewer than 7k mikes per year. We have only one vehicle, but both walk to work and for most errands and entertainment, so we don’t put very many miles on our car. Their discount seemed quite a bit higher than the few other companies I ran numbers on for comparison.

Edited by Frances

Progressive has a discount for students 150 miles away, but it was really insignificant, so I just took him off the policy completely. He hates driving and isn't going to be borrowing or renting any cars while he's away, and I don't mind driving him for the 2 weeks he'll be home over Christmas. I'll put him back on the policy when he's home for the summer.

• Like 2

USAA in our state requires the kid to be on the policy if they have a license. In fact, DH forgot to add her when she got her license. USAA called us. They get a report from the state.

My brother-in-law doesn't add his kids until they end up in an accident, it seems. So, his state is different.

We have not been able to get around this. We have three college boys, one is currently commuting, and can't afford to insure two more cars on top of dh's car and my mini-van. So they don't have cars at school. But, our agent told us that once we insure them as drivers, if their coverage lapses for any reason, they become high risk in this state - Michigan has no-fault insurance and it is an expensive mess. We have been looking for another insurance company, but haven't really had better quotes from any company so far. We are going to drop collision coverage on the commuter, and spin him off to his own liability only policy through Geico which will save us money. The car is getting to old to be worth continuing to pay collision which is high priced. Due to being no-fault, no one gets any kind of significant discount for safe-driver/no tickets, etc. like we would in other states.

My son is 150+ miles away at school. We get a good student discount for him. I just reviewed our policy yesterday. When he was living at home, he was driving our $$$ car back and forth to CC, and we'd reported that. When he comes home now, he will not be commuting and will likely be driving our $ car. My husband called today and changed the insurance to reflect the different car he'd be driving, which just dropped our bill A LOT (an $80 refund, which is great for me!).