Menu

Thread follow ups

Pen

7 minutes ago, Chris in VA said:

I love follow-ups! 

I am still waiting to find out what really happened to that mysterious recorded sounds at night situation. 

Seriously, people. 

Update. 

?

Oh my gosh, yes! That is the one I always wonder about, too. Enquiring minds need to know!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Happy follow up:

I'm too lazy to look for it but I had a survey about the best science class for a non-science-y student. He/we had been leaning toward a physical geography class and many people in the survey voted for that, too.

He took the class, earned the grade he needed and enjoyed the class.

Win win win. Win!

Edited to add: found it!

https://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/667637-gut-instinctwhich-natural-science-requirement-would-be-easiest-for-a-non-science-major/

Also...I just skimmed and boy, people just did not believe me there was no lab requirement!

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 7

Well, I DID paint over the chair rails with the same paint as the walls, as was previously done, but with a much lighter paint. And it looks just fine. Very nice, in fact. The cat odor is better, but still a little lingering; we'll work on that more when we actually move in. :)

• Like 6

•  

I like updates ?

So what did you serve at that party? (Many bday party threads) What did you bring to the potluck? @Quill (I think you had something recently?)

Yes, I do feel as though I’m always asking for party food advice. So, for ds’ graduation party this is what I served; 45 people attended:

Chick-Fil-A strips, which obviously I ordered; everything else I made

Tortellini pasta salad

Maryland Crab Soup

Homemade white honey bread

Homemade Raspberry Swirl bread (this was completely eaten, no leftovers)

Macaroni and Cheese (I made it in the oven, not the Instant Pot)

Strawberry Pineapple Salad (like Panera’s, but no chicken)

Coleslaw (which I stupidly never removed from the fridge)

A charcuterie tray

Spinach and artichoke dip with crackers

Chocolate cupcakes with (not tall) cream cheese icing

Vegan brownies (and then my vegan person ate crab soup anyway, lol.) 

Lemon cookies which I bought, not made, and few people liked.

I also made a peach sangria for the grown ladies; there was lemonade in a dispenser, ice tea, beer and, much to my chagrin, water bottles. (Something dh and I argue about every time.) 

I count that party as a success and was happy with the way it turned out. The food seemed to be a good variety and quantity for the number of guests.

Other parties in recent history include an anniversary party, but that was hosted at my sister’s house, and a 92nd birthday party just this past weekend, hosted at my SIl’s and which was the subject of the pie questions. I brought two ordinary-sized pies; one apple, one cherry. They were awesome, if I say so myself. I didn’t have quite enough crust to top it and so I cut out hearts with a cookie cutter and arranged them on top. Everyone thought I was just being artistic but I was saving my incorrect crust proportion butt. 

The anniversary party at my sister’s: I brought cupcakes, the same vegan brownies, tortellini salad and cucumbers (table pickles) and then numerous things I bought but did not make (potato salad, grapes and strawberries for tray, carrots for tray, dip). Luckily my sister is a very relaxed host. 

So, there you go: more than you ever wanted to know about my parties! 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Edited: actually I think it was a food pantry box not a library

It was! But no... alas. No one in the family wanted to join me in maintaining it, so I didn't end up doing it. But I still think about it. I'm requiring the kids to do the same number of service hours as kids in our district for high school, so I may re-propose it. I was just thinking about that.

• Like 4

My threads aren’t too terribly exciting or memorable, but I posted recently asking for help on how to finish a homemade farm table. I ended up using varathane like several posters recommended. And I love it!

Also, I asked about birkenstocks earlier in the summer. I bought some, and I rarely wear them. ?They’re cute and ok for short periods of time, but are just never going to win up against my beloved flip flops!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Quill said:

Yes, I do feel as though I’m always asking for party food advice. So, for ds’ graduation party this is what I served; 45 people attended:

Chick-Fil-A strips, which obviously I ordered; everything else I made

Tortellini pasta salad

Maryland Crab Soup

Homemade white honey bread

Homemade Raspberry Swirl bread (this was completely eaten, no leftovers)

Macaroni and Cheese (I made it in the oven, not the Instant Pot)

Strawberry Pineapple Salad (like Panera’s, but no chicken)

Coleslaw (which I stupidly never removed from the fridge)

A charcuterie tray

Spinach and artichoke dip with crackers

Chocolate cupcakes with (not tall) cream cheese icing

Vegan brownies (and then my vegan person ate crab soup anyway, lol.) 

Lemon cookies which I bought, not made, and few people liked.

I also made a peach sangria for the grown ladies; there was lemonade in a dispenser, ice tea, beer and, much to my chagrin, water bottles. (Something dh and I argue about every time.) 

I count that party as a success and was happy with the way it turned out. The food seemed to be a good variety and quantity for the number of guests.

Other parties in recent history include an anniversary party, but that was hosted at my sister’s house, and a 92nd birthday party just this past weekend, hosted at my SIl’s and which was the subject of the pie questions. I brought two ordinary-sized pies; one apple, one cherry. They were awesome, if I say so myself. I didn’t have quite enough crust to top it and so I cut out hearts with a cookie cutter and arranged them on top. Everyone thought I was just being artistic but I was saving my incorrect crust proportion butt. 

The anniversary party at my sister’s: I brought cupcakes, the same vegan brownies, tortellini salad and cucumbers (table pickles) and then numerous things I bought but did not make (potato salad, grapes and strawberries for tray, carrots for tray, dip). Luckily my sister is a very relaxed host. 

So, there you go: more than you ever wanted to know about my parties! 

We are going to a cookout this weekend and I want to take sangria.  What’s your peach sangria recipe?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Well, I DID paint over the chair rails with the same paint as the walls, as was previously done, but with a much lighter paint. And it looks just fine. Very nice, in fact. The cat odor is better, but still a little lingering; we'll work on that more when we actually move in. ?

Oh, I’m so glad that worked out so well!! With the added bonus of the least amount of work!

Best of luck with the next challenge!

4 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

Oh, I’m so glad that worked out so well!! With the added bonus of the least amount of work!

Best of luck with the next challenge!

Thanks! The next challenge is moving. Today. ? I think one reason it didn't look good before was that not only was the paint an ugly color, but they also used the most matte of matte finishes. Using eggshell, it gives it just enough of a sheen to look kind of classy. Well, in my opinion, anyway, lol

13 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Man, you made a lot yourself. I hope you didn't have to do it all the day before. Hopefully your family got to enjoy the coleslaw later. 

I made the majority the day before and a few things the day of and probably spent about fifteen hours in the kitchen altogether. 

We ate coleslaw until it came out our ears! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, school17777 said:

We are going to a cookout this weekend and I want to take sangria.  What’s your peach sangria recipe?

1 bottle of white wine (I usually use Relaxx Reisling)

1/2 cup peach schnapps

1/4 cup of sugar (though I think it is better to cook this into a simple syrup so it’s completely dissolved.)

2 sliced peaches (frozen slices work)

1 sliced orange

1/2 liter of ginger ale or lemon/lime seltzer. If you use a soda like Sprite, eliminate the sugar from the recipe.)

Mix this together and chill for at least an hour before serving. I like to add the fruits late because I don’t want the peaches to disintegrate. If you use frozen peaches, it has the added benefit of acting like an ice cube. The recipe said serve over ice but I personally don’t do that because it gets too watered down. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

If you don't mind sharing, I would love the recipe for this.   I love anything raspberry and this sounds delicious.

You are an impressive hostess!  That was a whole lot of food you made and the variety was great...you touched on just about anything and everything one would want at a party.  Nice job!

Thank you! The Raspberry Swirl Bread is an adaptation from a recipe original in Taste of Home. It is a lengthy recipe so I’m going to try posting a photo of the page and my adaptation. I hope that is okay from a copywrite perspective. If a mod needs to remove it, I apologize. 

Let me know if this is unclear; it’s just such a long recipe I didn’t want to type it out. 

B9FF92FF-5A7F-458F-AAAB-38D8053E6210.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Count me in with the crowd who likes to read follow up threads! During our move this summer (we moved because of a horrible neighbor ), I recalled some of the threads here about bad neighbors, and wondered how those boardies are doing. I don't remember screen names, but there was the poster who was having issues with a shared driveway that was continuously blocked by the neighbor, the poster who (iirc) had their shrubs cut down by a grumpy neighbor and was looking for something fast-growing to replace them, and wasn't there someone who had a neighbor dig up and take some of their flowers? If you are one of these posters and you are reading this, please update!

Here's my happy little update: We survived the move. Our house sold, and we settled on a small but charming Cape Cod on a little over an acre for the dogs to play on. We took dd to William and Mary last weekend, and oh.my.goodness. You can just stand on that campus and breathe in history. (Yes, there are modern buildings, but there is such a presence in the Wren building and the other older buildings!)  I love it, and more importantly, so does dd! I am so excited to watch the live stream of the opening convocation this afternoon! Dd sent me a photo of her outfit before she headed out this morning so that I could more easily spot her in the crowd!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I talk to the trees said:

Count me in with the crowd who likes to read follow up threads! During our move this summer (we moved because of a horrible neighbor ), I recalled some of the threads here about bad neighbors, and wondered how those boardies are doing. I don't remember screen names, but there was the poster who was having issues with a shared driveway that was continuously blocked by the neighbor, the poster who (iirc) had their shrubs cut down by a grumpy neighbor and was looking for something fast-growing to replace them, and wasn't there someone who had a neighbor dig up and take some of their flowers? If you are one of these posters and you are reading this, please update!

Here's my happy little update: We survived the move. Our house sold, and we settled on a small but charming Cape Cod on a little over an acre for the dogs to play on. We took dd to William and Mary last weekend, and oh.my.goodness. You can just stand on that campus and breathe in history. (Yes, there are modern buildings, but there is such a presence in the Wren building and the other older buildings!)  I love it, and more importantly, so does dd! I am so excited to watch the live stream of the opening convocation this afternoon! Dd sent me a photo of her outfit before she headed out this morning so that I could more easily spot her in the crowd!

Oh, your lucky dd! I LOVE William & Mary. It is my fantasy college. I agree that it just exudes history. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Thank you!  So am I understanding correctly that you just substituted raspberry preserves (with the adjusted amounts of brown sugar and lemon juice) as the swirl and completely omitted the filling that is written in the original recipe?   All other instructions/ingredients are the same? 

Yes and I am pretty sure I still heated the raspberry preserves and brown sugar on the stove in order to dissolve the sugar. I do not think I changed anything else except I may have baked the loaf about ten minutes longer than in the recipe. 

I have made this before as Cranberry bread for Thanksgiving but I figured Raspberry would be nice for summer. 

I was waiting to hear back for an appointment about a possible ovarian cyst when it popped. It was obvious and painful and reminiscence of the 50 other times I had an ovarian cyst that popped but didn't know what it was. I felt completely idiotic when it happened to have never realized it before. My symptoms are gone.

We're moving to San Antonio in the spring using Uhaul pods.

My 7yo who will be 8 at the time is getting a leopard gecko. He's beyond thrilled.

I don't know what else I have. I post everything here. You guys are too helpful not to.

• Like 5

I've had a couple PMs for updates, general well wishes, etc. I'm still in the embarrassed stage about everything from last year, but appreciate the love and support you guys gave through it all.

Everything is mostly okay now, DH is pretty much normal 95% of the time. No issues with spending or anything else. I've been put in basic control of everything: finances, passwords, email accounts, phones, etc. This is partially to avoid any future issues and so I can see signs faster, and partially because he forgets everything anyway ? Still has times of depression but nowhere near the same levels and he does a pretty strict regimen to help with it. 

In order to address some life issues that contributed to the episode trigger, we made some sweeping changes. We moved out of our house and in with his mom (lol...) and have been here a little over 6 months now. It's going fairly well; it was supposed to be a short term stay but currently I don't see it ending anytime soon. It's overall a better situation for all involved though so at least there's that. 

Kids are all well, the baby is now walking around and destroying everything. ? Older kids are happy and loving school stuff and living more in town. So, yeah, just growing up. Thanks again for the support and everything. I've been trying to keep a quiet and drama-free posting persona since last summer but check in regularly. I'll probably be posting about baby sleep soon, lol. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I'm sorry....one more question/confirmation....did you use 1 cup raspberry preserves (the original recipe calls for 1 cup cranberries.  Thought I better double check before I messed up.  My plan is to make this in the next few days.  Thank you again!

I think I used a whole jar which was probably 8oz, so, though I don’t think I measured it, I think it was roughly equivalent. 

On 8/29/2018 at 6:01 AM, Quill said:

Thank you! The Raspberry Swirl Bread is an adaptation from a recipe original in Taste of Home. It is a lengthy recipe so I’m going to try posting a photo of the page and my adaptation. I hope that is okay from a copywrite perspective. If a mod needs to remove it, I apologize. 

Let me know if this is unclear; it’s just such a long recipe I didn’t want to type it out. 

All of my best recipes come from those Taste of Home cookbooks. My grandmother would buy me one every year. Any clue what year that came from?

Edited by sassenach

9 minutes ago, sassenach said:

All of my best recipes come from those Taste of Home cookbooks. My grandmother would buy me one every year. Any clue what year that came from?

No, I couldn’t say. I had several from maybe around 2001 until 2010 and I ceased buying them. At some point I just photocopied a lot of the better recipes and got rid of most of the books. But yeah, I did look to those often. 

6 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

I've had a couple PMs for updates, general well wishes, etc. I'm still in the embarrassed stage about everything from last year, but appreciate the love and support you guys gave through it all.

Everything is mostly okay now, DH is pretty much normal 95% of the time. No issues with spending or anything else. I've been put in basic control of everything: finances, passwords, email accounts, phones, etc. This is partially to avoid any future issues and so I can see signs faster, and partially because he forgets everything anyway ? Still has times of depression but nowhere near the same levels and he does a pretty strict regimen to help with it. 

I am so glad to see your update Moonhawk.I was thinking of you recently!

• Like 1