Menu

Gut Instinct...which "Natural Science" requirement would be easiest for a non-science major?

unsinkable

Gut Instinct...which "Natural Science" requirement would be easiest for a non-science major who does NOT enjoy science at all?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Gut Instinct...which "Natural Science" requirement would be easiest for a non-science major?

• Principles of Biology
    • Human Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Geography
    • Geology
    • Environmental Earth Science

Gut Instinct...which "Natural Science" requirement would be easiest for a non-science major?

Assume that all these courses are "Intro" 100-level, and are labelled for the "Non-Science Major."

Principles of Biology

Human Biology

Chemistry (says a non math focus on how Chem impacts society)

Geography (emphasis on natural environments),

Geology

Environmental Earth Science

Edited to add: CLEP is not an option. Also, this is college level. None of these classes have labs.

Please don't quote!

Edited by unsinkable

I would see which CLEP exam the school accepts for credit for that requirement and take it - Natural Sciences is probably the easiest, there are cheap online classes to teach the material, and he'd be done.  I don't see the point in belaboring unloved subjects at the college level unless it's necessary for life.

• Like 1

if he likes rocks, geology

if he likes gross bodily functions, human biology

if he likes weather and mountains, geography

I would not do the other bio or chem. If he does not like anything, then I would probably suggest human biology. If it was regular environmental science, I would have suggested that, probably.

• Like 3

By process of elimination, I'd try geography.  Maybe he will find it interesting because Geography has such a strong "human" component.  How do humans shape their environment?  On the other hand I, as a non-science major, thoroughly  enjoyed Environmental Science & Chemistry in college.

Amber in SJ

I think of geography as the least sciencey of those. I think of human biology as the most useful. I think the choice needs to be based on which one sounds most interesting (or least abhorrent) to him and the descriptions will be more important than the names.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 2

What does he not like about Biology, Earth Science and Environmental Science?

Does he like lab work? If he doesn’t like lab work like my oldest (who just gets it done), I won’t do Biology, Chemistry or environmental science

Does he like field work? If he does, geography, geology and environmental science tends to have hands on labs that involve walking around campus, parks and basically not stuck in a lab for labs. My youngest like that kind of labs because he can be out and about collecting data and samples.

Does he mind memorizing? I passed high school biology and college geology by having a good memory.

What Chemistry has he done and does he like it?

I would have to compare actual syllabus though for all the courses because my geology was for civil engineering majors which was very different in emphasis than the geology for geography (GIS) majors.

I was a non science major in college. The geology, which was supposed to be ‘rocks for jocks’ ended up being a really difficult class. I also took a chemistry class that wasn’t math-focused....it was more like chemistry in everyday life. It was a really interesting course and not too difficult.

ETA: I voted geography because it seemed the least ‘science’.

Edited by HSmomof2
  • Like 2

I like the suggestions for taking meteorology and astronomy if they are available, but they weren’t on your list, so maybe they’re not an option.

I know some people are suggesting the science that they think would be most useful, but I’m getting the impression that usefulness isn’t much of a consideration here, right? Am I correct in assuming that you’re looking for the easiest course that will require the least amount of effort, and that the student will be taking it solely because a science course is required by the college?

• Like 1

I'd say environmental. It's a pretty broad topic, a lot of which will probably be familiar just from living. I would not do human bio, because it's a major prereq for all health majors and gets pretty nitty-gritty. Chem is a ton of algebra and memorizing. 

a real early introductory chem class might be algebra . . . dd had to have calculus (and calculus based physics) for her upper level chem classes.  I wouldn't recommend any lab science for someone who doesn't like science.

I have two non-tech stem majors - and one who started in non-tech stem, and changed his mind.

I would look at geology or geography.  maybe environmental  (i think that's one that's aimed at non-science students.)

like there's business algebra - and stem algebra.

OP

can you look at the syllibi for the classes?

and is it he doesn't *like* science, or he *struggles* with science?

the reason I ask is I once worked for a woman who wanted nothing to do with science.  she was just going to major in english.  she took a research bio class to meet a requirement and fell in love.   she's now a dr - she was perfectly capable of doing the science, she just didn't want to until her interest was tweaked.

I currently teach General Biology at a CC and Environmental Science at a 4 year university, both for non-science majors. I also teach Human Physiology labs as a TA at a 4 year university.  My suggestion would be environmental science or geography.  I would NOT suggest Human Biology as the human body is extremely complex, but then again, the course I teach is for pre-meds and is a "weed-out" course.

I'd say environmental. It's a pretty broad topic, a lot of which will probably be familiar just from living. I would not do human bio, because it's a major prereq for all health majors and gets pretty nitty-gritty. Chem is a ton of algebra and memorizing. 

I voted environmental as my 'gut instinct' vote without reading the post. After reading the post, I would probably change my vote to chemistry. OP says it's a non-math chemistry, so conceptual. Chemistry without the math-y bits tends to be great fun. My dd was no fan of high school chemistry, but she loved her DE class at the university. It was chemistry in movies and tv, and they actually covered quite a bit of information. There were also explosions and liquid nitrogen ice cream. She came home chattering about it every day. 

The impact of chemistry on society doesn't sound quite as fun, but it has the potential for being very engaging. 

OP, I would see if you can get your hands on syllabi or at least texts for the class (text names, so you can look them up and maybe see a table of contents). We have found that science for non-majors in college tends to be easier than regular high school science, lol. 

• Like 2

Geology.  At least he will come away with more knowledge about the planet on which he lives. 

Back in the day, I was able to take semester courses of Astronomy and Conceptual Physics (for the non-math major) as my two requirements (besides the mandatory year of Bio as a freshman).

A fun, enthusiastic instructor can make all the difference, too.

Years ago, I had a friend who took geology because she figured it would be easy, but as it turned out, the professor was some big shot geologist who had written the textbook, and the class ended up being a ton of work!

Yep, that also happened to me. It was a lot of work and ended up have a lab and required field trips. It was interesting, but it wasn’t easy at all.

Yep, that also happened to me. It was a lot of work and ended up have a lab and required field trips. It was interesting, but it wasn’t easy at all.

I’m picturing everybody getting on the bus to go look at rocks by the side of the highway.

That’s probably not the way it was, though, right? ;)

Chemistry. It's just like math with more rules.

What I hated about science was all the dang memorizing. "Ask questions! It's all about learning! You get to think critically! BUT FIRST MEMORIZE 1,309 SEPARATE TERMS (you'll have to match them to blurry pictures later)! And then another 5,607,392,292 terms and ten more years of education. And then maybe you will set up your own experiments based on novel questions. Woohoo, isn't this exciting? We're really making progress now!"

Chemistry was way better. Much more about rules and logic. Physics was nice as well.

And I mean I love the idea of studying the natural world. I just hate having to memorize other people's dichotomies without any possibility of questioning or thinking.

• Like 3

Geology. At least he will come away with more knowledge about the planet on which he lives.

Back in the day, I was able to take semester courses of Astronomy and Conceptual Physics (for the non-math major) as my two requirements (besides the mandatory year of Bio as a freshman).

A fun, enthusiastic instructor can make all the difference, too.

I actually like science in general, but Geology, Astronomy, and Conceptual Physics would be at the bottom of my personal list to take along with Earth Science.

I vote for Geography because it’s probably almost more of a social science course. Although I agree that a great professor can make all the difference.

I vote for the Environmental Earth Science because he has a background knowledge. I think it might make it easier for him and therefore less stressful.

That’s a good idea. If he did well on it in high school, he would have an edge on the college class, rather than starting from scratch on a brand new subject.

• Like 1

I vote Geography or Environmental Earth Science. As a fellow non-science lover, I took Astronomy and "Science for Elementary School Teachers" in college and enjoyed both *enough*. 

My roommate was a nursing major and the Anatomy and Physiology classes were much harder. I was drawing pictures of the orbit of the moon while she was memorizing every bone in the body.

What is he majoring in? I'd probably pick the one that would be remotely possible to spin as being useful to his future career (sometimes I can come up with some relevance even if it's pretty far-fetched). 

Other than that, definitely look at the syllabi and rate-my-prof and stuff like that. Maybe take it during summer at the CC or something so it's only like 4 weeks long. And triple-check that he doesn't need a lab sciene (unless he already has a lab science). I don't think I've ever seen a degree program that didn't require at least one lab science.