Menu

If you have an Amazon Prime credit card....

Meadowlark

Tell me if there's anything fishy about it. I'm about to apply but I know my husband is scared to death about any hidden penalities or fees. From what I can see, if you pay your bill monthly (which I will), then there's nothing to worry about. Is this true or is there anything else I should know?

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with it. Once when I went on a trip and purchased a Subway sandwich and got gas in a town several hours away Chase called to see what the heck was up with that since it apparently set off alarm bells, but I wouldn't call that a problem -- it was actually sort of reassuring.

We keep it totally paid off each month.

• Like 3

Not sure if you are talking about the Amazon Prime Chase Visa card or the Prime Store Credit card.

I have had the Chase card for many years. I apply the credits each month to my bill! With gas, groceries and Amazon stuff I usually have over $25 to apply to my bill. Love it and use it for everything I can.

• Like 2

What they said. Love it!

*we have had fraud activity on it twice, resulting in a new card issued, BUT both times, Chase alerted us before the charges even showed up (literally within moments of the person trying to use the card, they were calling us). Very easy to deal with, and why we use a credit card vs. debit card in the first place. They were able to also allow the old number to stay usable at in-person only (chip reader only) uses, in our normal usage radius, while sending out the new card because it was over a holiday weekend once. Very handy/customer friendly. 

Ok, maybe dumb question, but will they send me a paper statement? My husband is scared that I'll miss the payments. I'm generally not in charge of paying off our other 2 cards so I'm kind of ignorant about actually how to pay off a credit card. Sort of pathetic, I know. But I have to make sure I pay this systematically and on time. We are big prime users so this seems like a no brainer!

dh's background is finance and banking.  he loves it.

the reason they can give a "refund" is becasue they aren't paying another credit card processing vendor fee to use the card.   they are their own vendor.  same as costco.

eta: they send a paper statement just like any other card.  y

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

What they said. Love it!

*we have had fraud activity on it twice, resulting in a new card issued, BUT both times, Chase alerted us before the charges even showed up (literally within moments of the person trying to use the card, they were calling us). Very easy to deal with, and why we use a credit card vs. debit card in the first place. They were able to also allow the old number to stay usable at in-person only (chip reader only) uses, in our normal usage radius, while sending out the new card because it was over a holiday weekend once. Very handy/customer friendly. 

banks have great incentive to track fraudulent card use.   they're liable for any charges for those fake charges.

52 minutes ago, Meadowlark said:

Ok, maybe dumb question, but will they send me a paper statement? My husband is scared that I'll miss the payments. I'm generally not in charge of paying off our other 2 cards so I'm kind of ignorant about actually how to pay off a credit card. Sort of pathetic, I know. But I have to make sure I pay this systematically and on time. We are big prime users so this seems like a no brainer!

You can choose to get a paper statement or go paperless, where they send you an email and you pay online. I have all my CCs set on autopay, so they're paid directly from my bank account before the due date. I can check online at any time to make sure the charges are legit, and you can change the payment schedule and/or amount any time (minimum amount due, full amount due, full balance, or whatever else you want to pay).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Meadowlark said:

You can opt to receive a paper statement. I do not.  I have it set up to automatically pay the minimum due each month and then I manually pay the rest off each month. I do this so that I am never late and I can float by a little bit if I need too or have time to dispute a charge before the money is gone from my account.  The vast majority of the time I do not carry over a balance but this way I never get a late fee if I get busy and forget.  

Don't use the rewards for purchases. You can actually use the rewards towards paying your bill.  Then make the purchase you would have applied the rewards to and earn more rewards.  

• Like 1