Menu

July photo prompts 7/15-7/21

fairfarmhand

1 hour ago, arctic_bunny said:

The series is really like a meditation for me. I read until I get to the end, then start over. But because I know them so well, I can start and stop anytime. So I can read one “page,” know what happens next, and think about that while I fall asleep, instead of the million other things that were bouncing around in my head.

It's like that for me with the Harry Potter series and any Jane Austen novel. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has repeated comfort reads. 

17 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

What am I Reading:

I don’t really like it, but I always finish what I start reading.

Nope, nope, nope. There are too many books and too little time for me to spend precious reading time on a book I'm not enjoying. I do sometimes force myself to finish if I think I should learn about the subject, although I'll usually try to find a better way to learn it first. Pleasure reading however, should be for pleasure imo. ? 

• Like 8

It's a bit of a compulsive thing. I almost always finish a book, even if I must put it down and go back to it another time. There have been many books that I ended up liking at a different time. I've had the reverse happen, also. I've reread books and wondered why I ever read it the first time! I also never drink the last swallow of a beer. :) I always leave one bite on my plate, and my sheets must be perfectly squared and aligned before I can tuck myself in (just to name a few...ummm...quirks). :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's like that for me with the Harry Potter series and any Jane Austen novel. Glad to know I'm not the only one who has repeated comfort reads. 

Nope, nope, nope. There are too many books and too little time for me to spend precious reading time on a book I'm not enjoying. I do sometimes force myself to finish if I think I should learn about the subject, although I'll usually try to find a better way to learn it first. Pleasure reading however, should be for pleasure imo. ? 

I also very rarely finish books I don't like. One of the prompts on my IDA reading challenge is "Give an author you didn't like a second chance". I haven't finished that one because nope, you only get ONE shot to woo me - too many other books. 

• Like 1

This is a fun prompt!

What I'm currently reading:

IMG_3681.JPG.97c784d70ef94a96ae6bdb4b5983eefe.JPG

What I just finished reading in the past couple of days. The one on the bottom is one I started in May, lol.

IMG_3682.JPG.dae0bc20230ec46b16e9a4f898f6ccd0.JPG

In my current "I might (or might not) read these soon since they will be due in a few weeks" pile.... (The guide to August Wilson's plays is one I started when I read Gem of the Ocean; I am waiting for the next few plays to come in from my library holds list & will read the corresponding sections as I read each play.)

IMG_3683.JPG.50b3c6df78c9287dcc41296feed0f8e1.JPG

Fwiw, I fall strongly into the camp of "I don't finish a book if I don't like it". :biggrin:

• Like 9

What are you reading? Could there be an easier prompt for this population? ?

Here is my stack, though there are some inaccuracies to address: 

I am only currently reading those up at the top, including on my kindle The Geography of Genius and Audible’s version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. A couple of these may well be required back at the library before I can read them. I am under some obligation to read The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, because it is for book club and I lead the discussion this time. 

91E1C133-6378-40DB-8C69-CBF1FAF6FE48.jpeg

• Like 9

I’m reading the Bible to my kids at night and The Mouse and the Motorcycle to my 6 year old while my other kids are at camp. I’m a big Wendell Berry fan, so I’ve been reading this one at the pool. The other three books are on my Kindle. The Souls of Black Folk I’ve just barely begun. SWB suggested a reading discussion about it on her Facebook page, but I was late to the party. 

664B233F-29E9-487A-AE7F-91E0C129468F.jpeg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm going to be banned from the community here . I am not reading anything at the moment other than this board because I am so terribly busy.  But I am reading this board!  (Cat is extra).

7GgujQa.jpg?1

I think you need to post a picture of all your animals in one shot. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

This is the funniest and cutest thing I will see all day long!  I swear, I would laugh every single time I saw her this way.  It is hilarious!!!!

DH likes to gently pull her tail when she does it - he's a boy, they're weird too! She flips over but doesn't quite wake up when he does it. And yes, I always have a ton of crap on my floor in front of the couch...

She also can't tuck in her back legs like most cats. She sits Sphinx style like a cat with her front paws crossed, but her back legs splay out to the side. She's a total weirdo. 

20180516_121145.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

This is a tough one and apparently I'm not alone since no one else has posted yet. I was going to post an old photo of when ds set up a lemonade stand but it's a terrible picture. I couldn't even fix it with my good photo editing software. Instead I present some Persian limes from my refrigerator. They're not quite as sour as lemons but they'll still cause you to 

Pucker Up

20180719_105633.jpg

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Pucker Up:

This is a stretch (LOL), but I am making paper plate awards for our swim team (due tomorrow ?).  I was looking back through old plates I've made and found this one from 2014.

7-25-14 003.JPG

Are paper plate awards a real swim thing? My kids have gotten them the last couple years but I thought it was because the coaches had no budget for awards!

• Like 1

Yes, all the swimmers get them.  They also give out 3 special awards (high point, coaches award, and most improved) to each a boy and girl in each age group, one boy and one girl get overall high point award, everyone gets a participation trophy.

ETA:  Sorry Rachel...I thought I had quoted you in my response LOL!

• Like 1