Menu

Need recommendations for a reusable grocery bag

Kassia

I got some collapsible box totes from Amazon and I LOVE them.  Everyone asks where I got them when I take them to a grocery store and they are rock solid.  I use them for just throwing stuff in for when we're out for the day too. Super handy.  They come in a variety of different looks.  Mine are actually different colors than these.  I ended up with 2 sets now because I use them so much.

I've killed many a reusable shopping bag (broken straps, ripped seams, etc) but these are great.  Don't fall over in a vehicle, easy to unload.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3OONDE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01D3OONDE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do they have to be canvas or can they just be reusable?  We have had a variety (a wide variety) of different kinds of reusable bags, and my favorites are strangely enough the Natural Grocers plasticky ones, the brightly printed ones that are $1 each.  They're cheap and they last forever.  We moved with them - like used them as packing boxes.  Their canvas ones are not well made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I got some collapsible box totes from Amazon and I LOVE them.  Everyone asks where I got them when I take them to a grocery store and they are rock solid.  I use them for just throwing stuff in for when we're out for the day too. Super handy.  They come in a variety of different looks.  Mine are actually different colors than these.  I ended up with 2 sets now because I use them so much.

I've killed many a reusable shopping bag (broken straps, ripped seams, etc) but these are great.  Don't fall over in a vehicle, easy to unload.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3OONDE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01D3OONDE

How well do these fit in the shopping cart? How to cashiers respond to them? I think I need this. 

I really liked my nylon shopping bag I bought at ikea, but college daughter stole it for her groceries. It’s held up for a year so far and crunches down to nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KungFuPanda said:

How well do these fit in the shopping cart? How to cashiers respond to them? I think I need this. 

I really liked my nylon shopping bag I bought at ikea, but college daughter stole it for her groceries. It’s held up for a year so far and crunches down to nothing. 

You know, I just slide them along the edge of my cart or under.  They collapse flat so when I'm not using them I just carry them in flat.  I think when I bag with them I can fit 2 in the bottom of the cart and the can balance the 3rd on top.   Or set it on the bottom of the cart.  I shop a lot so I often just use 2 and they fit more than I expect.  

I've had no issues with cashiers while using them other than them asking me where I got them.  LOL.  ?  

Oh - the IKEA bags are nice too.  I've had a couple of those.  I like these boxy ones especially for groceries because they're structured and sit flat in the back of my vehicle.  

• Like 1

I bought my insulated bags from Natural Grocers and Whole Foods.  I have a few friends who use LLBean's big canvas bags (like the one I used to use for the beach).  My MIL says she uses crochet bags because they expand and shrink (to a point) easily depending on use. 

• Thanks 1

Another one asking if they HAVE to be canvas. Some stores in my area get weird if they see you bringing in your own bags, so all mine (including my backpack) are foldable. I was using WF bags in pouches, but after 7+ years of hard work they're falling apart (plus, one of them has a persistent whiff of rotten milk from that time I put the bag down to tend to some emergency and forgot about it....) and Whole Foods near me is no longer selling the same ones, so I got these. I actually had these before the WF bags, but then I lost two at the boat and the kids cut one up and my mother straight up stole the last two to carry out rocks and garbage from the garden (!!!) and forget it. I walk the third of a mile to and from the grocery store, so it's important to me that these have a good, wide strap - and I've also found that the structural integrity improves a lot when the strap is integrated into the bag rather than being sewn on. They're finally redoing the sidewalks in my neighborhood, though (just did mine) so maybe it's worth it to invest in a decent granny cart at this point.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, moonflower said:

Do they have to be canvas or can they just be reusable?  

Just reusable.  I just assumed they would be canvas.  I'm going to edit my post to change that. 

Thanks for all the great ideas!  ?

I really like the ones sold at Kroger and the smaller ones at Aldis. I like a bag where I can put 2 carton of eggs side by side. Because this size doesn't get too heavy. And the ones from these two places seem to be relatively inexpensive $1-2 each and they hold up and last a long time.

• Thanks 1

I like this style, because I like to always have a couple in my bag and these roll up really tiny but have been really sturdy and lasted. I've tried some other brands of this style and they've been cheaper (less expensive, but also poorly made):

https://www.amazon.com/l/2591343011

Think about how you'll use them - if you want ones that are easy to bring along, then getting something that is tiny can be important. If you want ones that are really going to last and be sturdiest out there, then think about that. Be sure you're clear about size. I bought one set online and they were too small to hold things like large cereal boxes - way smaller than I had realized - about half the size that I thought they'd be. They're fine for produce and small stuff, but not for a general grocery run.

We have a bag tax, so the cashiers are really nice about whatever crazy bag you bring in. But I've brought my bags into stores not around here and cashiers get ticked. If you're somewhere where doing the reusable thing is less common, I might opt for ones that stand on their own, typically any of the kinds with a flat, reinforced bottom.

I buy the plastic ones with designs when I travel, and I’ve picked up some at the grocery, too. I like them to have about 4 inches of space width wise at the bottom so they stay flat and upright when opened. I also like the plastic/vinyl ones because they are easy to clean. Downside is they take up more space then something you can wad in your purse, though they fold flat. I have some canvas ones that I use some, but they don’t open flat at the bottom.

I enjoy using bags from travel, and so far they have held up for years, but one from the Vancouver Aquarium broke a bit ago and I was sad. Luckily, I had bought two - the only time I’ve done that, so yay!

I use the same ones as Farrar does, the Envirosax. I'm embarrassed to say that I probably have a dozen of them floating around between my van/purse. They hold so much, roll up neatly, and it is easy to keep a few in my purse (although I emptied out my purse and removed 7 of them the other day!). I am religious about using them, and now I realize that I've been using them for over a decade! Some of the fabric is showing some wear on my original set but the bottom seams are still good. I don't find that they are comfortable to carry over my shoulder, though, if that matters. 

I am going to research those Amazon collapsible box totes though! I do tie the Envirosax shut so groceries don't slide out in the back of the van, and maybe a bigger collapsible tote would be handy for me. 

25 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

= I'll be repurposing some of the t-shirts that have worn out collars...washable is a good thing..instructions here courtesy of a Girl Scout Gold Project http://www.instructables.com/id/FASTEST-RECYCLED-T-SHIRT-TOTE-BAG/  I have plenty of thread and a machine, but if not I'd head down to the local dry cleaner as the nice lady there does alterations; we could strike a bargain since it's just a seam across. 

I love this!  I don't sew but I wonder how much it would cost to hire someone to do it for me.  

3 hours ago, HeighHo said:

I'm into reuse, so right now I am using the giveaways I've accumulated.  They aren't washable, so next I'm making the european style market bag I grew up with using a size 10 crochet thread. I've sourced the thread from the local library thirft shop as people decide they don't need to keep their scraps.  For the lads, I'll be repurposing some of the t-shirts that have worn out collars...washable is a good thing..instructions here courtesy of a Girl Scout Gold Project http://www.instructables.com/id/FASTEST-RECYCLED-T-SHIRT-TOTE-BAG/  I have plenty of thread and a machine, but if not I'd head down to the local dry cleaner as the nice lady there does alterations; we could strike a bargain since it's just a seam across. 

Wow, that's a great instructable!  I hear so much about "reusable bags aren't actually that great because they actually use resources to make them, blah blah blah, <quote study that isn't really applicable> " but these are like BAM! "I'M USING UP TSHIRTS THAT ARE GOING TO BE TRASHED/RECYCLED *AND* MAKING A BAG. Come at me NOW with your objections, people!"  

Plus, yeah, not daunting to throw in the washer, so that gets rid of THAT argument, too.  I've had the boxy-type plasticky bags that some stores sell disintegrate after a trip through the washing machine.

Edited to add that I can't get rid of this weird quote thing:

• Like 2

I have these from IKEA, which are great for non-crushable items. They wash well. I usually keep one in my purse. 

I also have tote bags from the library - good for heavy items, tote bags I bought at thrift stores. My favorite is rectangular and not so wide. It has a long twisted rope handle. It's easy to sling over your shoulder. 

To keep items from falling over in the car, I use a box in the car to put them into. Right now it's a plastic tote, but I have reused Amazon boxes and moving boxes.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D3OONDE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&amp;pd_rd_i=B01D3OONDE

I have some similar to what FuzzyCatz posted. I have seen versions of them for sale at Wally World but rarely.

• Like 1

I love my Trader Joe's insulated bags. I think they were about $5? They hold a ton and since my TJ's is about 45 min from home, it's nice to be able to keep cold stuff in there. I'm intrigued by the collapsible box totes too - adding them to my amazon wish list! 

This is the TJ's bag that I have (I have 3). Amazon is expensive though, they're about $5 in the store: 

https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Insulated-Reusable-Grocery/dp/B00DCEM32O/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&amp;psc=1&amp;refRID=Y5VHA6YJRJW1XQYN6PEC

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

I have these from IKEA, which are great for non-crushable items. They wash well. I usually keep one in my purse. 

Thank you!  I like these but we have no IKEA and their shipping is really high!  

37 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

I love my Trader Joe's insulated bags. I think they were about $5? They hold a ton and since my TJ's is about 45 min from home, it's nice to be able to keep cold stuff in there. I'm intrigued by the collapsible box totes too - adding them to my amazon wish list! 

This is the TJ's bag that I have (I have 3). Amazon is expensive though, they're about $5 in the store: 

https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Insulated-Reusable-Grocery/dp/B00DCEM32O/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_79_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&amp;psc=1&amp;refRID=Y5VHA6YJRJW1XQYN6PEC

Thank you!  I like these because they are insulated but we don't have Trader Joe's here and they are too expensive at Amazon.  

15 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

You know, I just slide them along the edge of my cart or under.  They collapse flat so when I'm not using them I just carry them in flat.  I think when I bag with them I can fit 2 in the bottom of the cart and the can balance the 3rd on top.   Or set it on the bottom of the cart.  I shop a lot so I often just use 2 and they fit more than I expect.  

I've had no issues with cashiers while using them other than them asking me where I got them.  LOL.  ?  

Oh - the IKEA bags are nice too.  I've had a couple of those.  I like these boxy ones especially for groceries because they're structured and sit flat in the back of my vehicle.  

I ordered the plaid one. It’ll be here Tuesday. I drive an accessible van, which means the floor slopes and the 3rd row seats are gone. It gives us plenty of room but makes it hard to manage bags and keep them upright. Thanks for the tip. 

• Like 1

Small srunchy ones you can keep on a keychain so they actually get used.

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/ChicoBag-Original-Reusable-Eco-Friendly-Carabiner/dp/B005P0E0GK/ref=asc_df_B005P0E0GK/?tag=hyprod-20&amp;linkCode=df0&amp;hvadid=241977010922&amp;hvpos=1o1&amp;hvnetw=g&amp;hvrand=1265831257344037673&amp;hvpone=&amp;hvptwo=&amp;hvqmt=&amp;hvdev=m&amp;hvdvcmdl=&amp;hvlocint=&amp;hvlocphy=9060531&amp;hvtargid=pla-429629931735&amp;psc=1

I see you already found something. If you find yourself forgetting them or the kids claiming they don't fit etc. Etc. You may consider these Chico ones.

• Thanks 1

These are wonderful! My daughter gave them to me for Christmas about 3 years ago and they are going strong. http://www.bagpodz.com  A video on this site shows how they work.

I fasten the carrier to the cart when I shop. I do most of my grocery shopping at a military commissary and the baggers there almost always comment how great they are and they see a lot of different types of bags!

Mary

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  I like these because they are insulated but we don't have Trader Joe's here and they are too expensive at Amazon.  

Aldi and Costco both have insulated bags as well.   I've seen people with Sam's Club insulated bags, too.  I use the Aldi one as a picnic/long day out cold food bag.  I have one specific insulated bag I use for raw meat and wipe out with a sanitizing wipe after unpacking.

The majority of my non-insulated bags were freebies from the local auto show.  My mom and brother go every year and end up with enough to give me 4-5 good ones, so I can retire any beat up bags (they last about 3-4 years for me).  I bet any kind of home/auto/garden show would have several vendors giving them away.  They generally aren't washable though.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kassia said:

Walmart sells insulated bags. Ours has racks of them at the ends of the freezer aisles.