Menu

Tell me your favourite....

Guest 4boys

...elementary science program. The one that you have liked the most out of all the ones you have tried. Seems a lot of us have a hard time deciding on science curriculum/books so I was hoping those of you who have some experience could share your favourites! Thank you!

The only thing I have used so far are Let's Read and Find Out science books. I really like them and the boys LOVE them but they aren't really a whole complete program. But they are great!

We have really enjoyed REAL Science Life from Pandia Press. We did stall out on lesson 14 for a couple of months while I procrastinated on gathering worms. I finally got it together to gather them in the summer.... when there were no worms to be found. So we moved on and are doing lots of other critters - snails and butterflies. I think we will finally go back and get some worms for that project. But we are having a great time, and it is worth it to just get started and it isn't as time consuming or yucky or as much of a pain as you think it will be.

Real Science for Kids hands down. And we've tried a few. We're stretching it out and adding so it's more than 10 weeks, but I think the 10 weeks is good stuff--better than a lot of the other things we've looked at. 2 out of my 3 dc are science oriented.

We really, really wanted to like Noeo, and parts of it we did, but it was too Charlotte Masony for my 10 yo to get into (she's not into science as much, but finally likes it with RS4K).

At the ages of your children I really think they would enjoy NOEO Science [no offense Karin ;)]. Here is the Biology I set...perfect for your children's ages. http://www.noeoscience.com/bio1.html

What I enjoy about NOEO is that it contains all the experiments; no running out to purchase a lot of supplies. If the kit does not contain what you need, it is usually something common to every kitchen...like oil, food coloring, etc. [we used the Chemistry II kit last year]

I also like that NOEO is not time consuming, it is all scheduled for you in a simple easy to read weekly format. I wish it had been around when my youngest was at that age. Science should be fun...and I think NOEO makes it so.

The one thing my son did not like about the Apologia Elementary series [no offense to those who love it] is the single focus of the books. He did NOT like learning about ONLY Astronomy, or ONLY animals. We tried Apologia and ended up selling them. NOEO stirs things up a bit by learning animals, fish, mammals, birds, human body, plans & trees, and even weather in their Biology I kit. It seems well-rounded with good books to read from, and experiments to tie it all together.

At the age of your oldest we were using SL Science. Some love it. I did not. It bounced around too much, and the experiments rarely tied in to what we were actually learning in our reading. Not to mention I got somewhat tired of the evolutionary material in the books they use. Even now.

Currently we are using SL's Science 5 mainly because I got it free and because of the subject it covers. And STILL, my son is reading ridiculous evolutionary material. The other day he was reading his science out loud to his dad when I heard my dh yell, "Melissa! Why is my son reading this Cr*p!?" It was all about how we humans evolved and how we should not look down upon the rest of the vertebrate world from our elevated two-legged position. For you see, our back is still trying to adjust to the peculiar upright position it now holds, and one of the reasons we humans have backaches is because our spines are still adjusting from a four-legged stance, to our current two-legged.:001_huh: The page prior, that my son read to his dad, showed a picture-plan of how we evolved from bony fish, to amphibian, to lizard, to insectivore, to lemur, to ape and then finally to man. Gobbledygook. So, all that to say...if you don't want to weed through evolutionary material stay clear of SL, though it is usually not as bad as I have made it sound. If you believe in evolution...then you'll love it. ;)

Oh, and I want to add...

I have not actually used the NOEO Biology I. I just think it looks fantastic and if I had children the ages of yours it is what I would buy. :D

I am a "Newbie" hs'er, but we have really enjoyed The World God Made this year for K. It follows the days of creation to introduce science topics. The lessons are simple and require little to no prep. It would also be easy to expand on the lessons if you came across something your child was interested in.

Oh, and I want to add...

I have not actually used the NOEO Biology I. I just think it looks fantastic and if I had children the ages of yours it is what I would buy. :D

No offense, but I've used NOEO Biology I, and thought it was a colossal waste of money.

What has worked wonderfully, though, is chucking the teacher's guide, some of their recommended books, and several of the experiment kits (some of which border on useless), and doing our own thing with what's left. We've added in books we actually like, and find experiments online or in library books. It's turning out to be our best year yet for elementary science.

But that sounds like what the OP was already doing -- using books you like, and doing things that are interesting. Then, in late elementary or middle school, use Prentice Hall Science Explorers.

Most of the complaints I hear about Apologia is that kids get bored and want to do more hands-on stuff. At this point my kids don't even know science is supposed to be very hands-on and they love being read to so I think it would work. I am concerned that it would be boring for ME to stay on one subject for a whole year and never learn about weather, human body, etc. that the Apologia books so far don't cover.

I have looked into Noeo and I think it looks so cool, I am pretty sure Bailey would LOVE the physics 1 course and the biology 1 looks good too.

The other one I have considered is the God's Design for Science series.

Maybe I should just buy all 3 to look at and then return what I don't want! Or try a different one every year. :) It's hard to make decisions when you don't have the program in your hands.

So far we're really enjoying Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2 (BFSU). Here's an excellent review.

What I love about it:

1. Integrates subjects nicely in threads
  2. Is flexible and adaptable to your child's needs
  3. Easy experiments that really connect the learning
  4. Guidlines on how to present the lesson, ideas for discussion and questions in the book
  5. Promotes inquiry
  6. Includes a list of living books, which also includes all of the Read and Find Out Science books. I love them, BTW!
  7. Encourages students to think and ask questions
  8. Teaches me as well :)
  9. All this and a Yahoo! Group where the author, Dr. Nebel, answers your questions and supports your teaching

Oh, and I forgot inexpensive as well. Activities and experiments are done with things around the house, nothing major unless otherwise noted.

Students are encouraged to create little books about the topics they learn about. Dr. Nebel is busy working on his next volume of elementary science, BFSU 3-5. As soon as it comes out I'll be buying it :)

Edited by sagira

Currently we are using SL's Science 5 mainly because I got it free and because of the subject it covers. And STILL, my son is reading ridiculous evolutionary material. The other day he was reading his science out loud to his dad when I heard my dh yell, "Melissa! Why is my son reading this Cr*p!?" It was all about how we humans evolved and how we should not look down upon the rest of the vertebrate world from our elevated two-legged position. For you see, our back is still trying to adjust to the peculiar upright position it now holds, and one of the reasons we humans have backaches is because our spines are still adjusting from a four-legged stance, to our current two-legged.:001_huh: The page prior, that my son read to his dad, showed a picture-plan of how we evolved from bony fish, to amphibian, to lizard, to insectivore, to lemur, to ape and then finally to man. Gobbledygook. So, all that to say...if you don't want to weed through evolutionary material stay clear of SL, though it is usually not as bad as I have made it sound. If you believe in evolution...then you'll love it. ;)

Actually, I believe in evolution and wouldn't like that book at all. It's completely incorrect and sounds like gobbledygook to me too. Among other misconceptions, evolution doesn't espouse that we evolved from apes, it says that we share a common ancestor.

So far we're really enjoying Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding K-2 (BFSU). Here's an excellent review.

What I love about it:

1. Integrates subjects nicely in threads

2. Is flexible and adaptable to your child's needs

3. Easy experiments that really connect the learning

4. Guidlines on how to present the lesson, ideas for discussion and questions in the book

5. Promotes inquiry

6. Includes a list of living books, which also includes all of the Read and Find Out Science books. I love them, BTW!

7. Encourages students to think and ask questions

8. Teaches me as well :)

9. All this and a Yahoo! Group where the author, Dr. Nebel, answers your questions and supports your teaching

Oh, and I forgot inexpensive as well. Activities and experiments are done with things around the house, nothing major unless otherwise noted.

Students are encouraged to create little books about the topics they learn about. Dr. Nebel is busy working on his next volume of elementary science, BFSU 3-5. As soon as it comes out I'll be buying it :)

:iagree: What she said. Exactly what she said. Plus, I had a scientist friend look at it and he thought it was fantastic.

When we began homeschooling 6 years ago, I tried the recommendations in the WTM. I wasn't very confident in my skills, so I ditched it and tried Christian Liberty Press, Abeka, Rod and Staff, and BJU. Guess what, the WTM way is best for us and we are back to stay through the 8th grade. I do like Apologia and Abeka in the high school years. (We have 10th, 7th and 5th grade dd's).

May I just confess that I have used poorly almost all the books you all have talked about. Ah well, I don't really like science and I guess that it must show. Up til this year we have never completed a single program, except when doing it the WTM way. Now that dd is in 5th and I feel she really needs to start studying science with substance I purchased NOEO Biology II. I like it. I like that it sets up science essentially that way that TWTM tells me to. ( I know it's sad, but I need a tm for science. Shh, don't tell SWB. ;))

That said it did not work at all to incorporate my two 1st graders. Thus I finally. Picked up an Usborne Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Natural World and am working my way through with them. Approx 2 pages a week, drawing pictures and diagramming trees, mushrooms, insects. Add to that reading various books from the library and doing the little experiments in the book and ds says science is his favorite subject. He even has a science hat. (It's really a dress up construction hat, but who cares). After 4+ years of fighting it I am now finally doing it the way I was supposed to in the first place.

Sorry so long. I think, especially for the younger years science has to work for both you and your kids; whatever that looks like.

No offense, but I've used NOEO Biology I, and thought it was a colossal waste of money.

:lol: No offense taken! Tell us how you really feel Gail! :w00t:

You know, what one person dislikes, another really likes. I don't think there is a single curriculum that EVERYONE hates or EVERYONE likes. I know I have read gushing posts on how much fun NOEO's Biology I is, as well as thousands of glowing reports and recommendations for Apologia's Elem Science of which we disliked. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, what is important is finding what works for YOU and YOURS. ;)

Actually, I believe in evolution and wouldn't like that book at all. It's completely incorrect and sounds like gobbledygook to me too. Among other misconceptions, evolution doesn't espouse that we evolved from apes, it says that we share a common ancestor.

Exactly! We do not personally believe in evolution, but I wouldn't have a problem with my son learning what evolutionists truly believe. Unfortunately the cr*p...oops, I mean stuff...in some of these books is so preposterous it's laughable. :tongue_smilie:

My first choices is Apologia Elementary (have done Botany, Zoo 1 and working on Zoo 2).

Next is Real Science 4 Kids (have done Chemistry Pre1 and 1). It is just a little light for me, and I don't care for the KOGS.

I have also used the three earth science books of God's Design, and while not being bad they are a bit boring.

SL Science is the last program I have used and I just have issues with Usborne books and the experiments not lining up, so it drove me nuts.

To be honest I am doing more and more of my own thing, though I am also checking out Science Explorer for my oldest. Apologia Elementary doesn't have a body or a physics book and we plan to cover in the next year, so I will probalby pull together several texts like I am right now with RS4K Chemistry 1.

Heather

See, this is what is frustrating! Nothing works for everyone and some people love what other people hate. I need someone to just TELL me what to buy!! :D

Thank you for all the input, I like seeing all the different responses and ideas people have!

There are several that I like well enough, but I'm very impressed with Elements: The Ingredients of the Universe. It is by far the best science program we have used through the years and if she wrote a full program I would go with it in a heartbeat. You can print out the first chapter

http://www.ellenjmchenry.com/id25.html

http://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?sid=1195099837-1293061&id=022079

To be honest I am doing more and more of my own thing, though I am also checking out Science Explorer for my oldest. Apologia Elementary doesn't have a body or a physics book and we plan to cover in the next year, so I will probalby pull together several texts like I am right now with RS4K Chemistry 1.

Heather -

What are your thoughts on physics and human body so far? These are the areas I'm wanting to cover next year as well. I'm contemplating Noeo physics, but how do I add the human body???

See, this is what is frustrating! Nothing works for everyone and some people love what other people hate. I need someone to just TELL me what to buy!! :D

:lol: You can check out samples of BFSU and see if it resonates with you. In K we're using just BFSU. From 1st-2nd years we'll be doing a combination of topical nature studies (a la Tanglewood Education, I'm using its Create-Your-Own Curriculum page) and BFSU. I'm planning on using Elements in fourth grade as well. It looks so interesting. I think science and history are so important, so approaching both from more than one angle is important to me.

Edited by sagira

Heather -

What are your thoughts on physics and human body so far? These are the areas I'm wanting to cover next year as well. I'm contemplating Noeo physics, but how do I add the human body???

Kathy,

My thoughts so far? Ugh! ;)

Noeo looks good to me. I was looking at NOEO Chemistry II (just about a month ago), but was warned against using the Usborne Science Encyclopedia as a read alone text and knowing that the Chemistry I set would be too light for her I put together my own thing. I ended up keeping the RS4K Chemistry 1 book added DK Matter, DK Chemistry, Tiner's Chemistry history book and Chemistry for Every Kid for extra experiments. It ended up being about 14 weeks of work and while it meets the need I am still not thrilled. To be honest I am having a hard time finding texts like Tiner's that have the depth she is ready for, but without algebra, which she can only do to a point (Singapore does work with some Algebra early on).

At this point for Physics (which will have the same math issues) I am looking at doing my own thing with RS4K Physics 1 as a spine, add Tiner, Physics for Every Kid and ??? for additional Physics texts. Probably individual texts on Energy, Motion, Force, ect... If I don't do that I will go with Science Explorer. I have one of their texts and from what little I have read the organization of the material isn't bad, but the side bars on different topics drive me nuts.

For a Body study I also have two plans peculating. One is to use Science Explorer books. The other is to use God's Design Body book or some other resource as a spine and add Tiner (does he have a body book?), Body for Every Kid and other books. Probably not DK or Usborne books (because it looks like only adult books don't have 100 factoids on a page and actually know how to stick to a single topic). I have more time so I can find books on each separate Physics topic.

I really don't know what to do. I had basically decided to do Science Explorer and even bought one of the Physics texts. Then I was looking at Apologia General the other day and Sweet Pea started reading over my shoulder and fell in love with it. Decided she wanted to start right NOW. :blink: I explained to her that while this level might be OK with her the next level requires math she doesn't have yet, so she needs to wait till 6th grade at the least. Now she has decided we must finish both Physics and Body by 6th so she can start Apologia ASAP. :lol: Science Explorer has more books that cover Physics and Body then she can finish in...well less than a year, so if I decide to grant her this wish then doing the RS4K and God's Design would be the only option. I am just wondering if I can get some extra work around the house out of this, given I am going to have to do a lot of leg work. If she refuses it will tell me just how bad she wants it, KWIM?

Heather

Edited by siloam

Yes, for an actual curriculum, I would have to say that Elements and the follow-up organic chemistry curriculum by the same author is good and sound. I also like the Fun with Atoms and Molecules books for extra experiments, or most anything by Janice Van Cleave.

For physics, the Science in a Nutshell kits are very good, but you really must add in more reading on topic, in my opinion. Lots of folks are beginning to use the Thames and Kosmos kits for both chemistry and physics, and I have my eye on those, too, but would still want reading material.

I haven't ever found one stand alone curriculum that I really like for biology (or any portion of it) or the earth/space sciences. I'm still sticking with WTM recs for doing those, mixing lots of living books with experiments and field trips, outside classes, etc.

Thanks for your detailed reply, Heater! Right now we are using RS4K and it is working well for my boys, they are a bit younger than your oldest girls. I didn't know that God's Design series had a body book. I may do RS4K physics 1, with some other living books the first semster and then the God's Design body book the 2nd semster. Hmmmm,

The planning is so much fun, isn't it? :)

Outdoor play

Yes, outdoor play is the absolute best science program that I have found to date. It is free, easy to implement and always available.

I keep on hand field guides, bug boxes, butterfly nets, magnifying glasses and even a cheap microscope.

What do they learn about?

plants--vegetables from seed to preservation, flowers from seed to seed and all the parts

animals--nothing like observing a wild squirrel and bunny interact in the playyard.

bugs--cicadas, caterpillar to butterfly, cornworm to moth, rollypollys, crickets, etc.

leaves, sticks, bark, seed pods

Yes, it is mostly biology but they also learn about physics when:

They crash their bike or car into a ditch they created when they tried to dig to china.

They turn the bike over and spin the wheels and try to work the pedals.

They dig in the dirt and sand and see how many leaves, toys, whatever the play house holds.

Yes, outdoor play at home or any sort of park is the absolute best plus it has the added benefit of physical education as they run theirselves into exhaustion.:001_smile:

I second R.E.A.L. Science, both Life and Earth & Space.

:iagree:

I picked this out b/c my ds does not like experiments that take a long time to set up, something that is complicated or crafty. This fits the bill perfectly. Short. to the point and fun.

No formal science program at all worked extremely well here -- lots of experiments and hands-on, library books, and science videos.

We would pick an overall science subject for the year (life science, earth science, chemistry, physics), and then figure out some subtopics that fit under that heading, and then use books, videos, experiments, kits, and field trips to do our learning. Some topics we only briefly looked at; others we would spend several weeks on. Science was always the favorite subject, and they always scored off-the-charts high in science on the annual national testing.

Middle school/high school was soon enough to get more formal/structured for us.

Just our experience! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Heather (and others)-

I think Apologia is planning to come out with an Anatomy book spring of 09. Check out j. fulbright's (the author-I don't remember her first name) website for details. :001_smile:

Amanda

Amanda,

Yes! Jeannie said it would be summer most likely (on the yahoo group). My dd is going to be starting Apologia General in the fall, so that doesn't help me immediately. It does solve the problem of what to do for the rest of the crew. :)

Now we just have to talk them into a Physics book :D (Chemistry is coming, though probably 2011 I think Jeannie said).

Heather