Menu

1950's party- ideas from the hive?

Peaceseeker

Anyone feel like party planning?

We need ideas or suggestions for:

1) vintage candy readily available (types, where to find?)

2) photo booth ideas

3) vintage movie suggestions fun and appropriate for the 12-14 year old girls.

So far I think we are doing diner food, like hot dogs and burgers with fries in little baskets with wax paper, vintage sodas and ice cream floats and the red and white popcorn holders for the movies. We have a record player.

Any ideas?

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

"High Society" is a great musical with Grace Kelly, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Celeste Holm.   Because it's Grace, you could do "lady/etiquette" type things... maybe have a walking with a book balanced on your head type things.

1950s candy....just look at this:

https://www.oldtimecandy.com/candy-by-decade/1950s-candy/

I've seen the Turkish Taffy at 5 and Below

Candy necklaces at Walmart and Dollar Tree

Charleston Chew at Dollar Tree

Hot Tamales (everywhere) but at Dollar Tree

Pez can be found at 5 and Below, Walmart, and World Market

etc.

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Grease for the movie.

Cracker Barrel carries vintage candy.  Party City might also.  Hobby Lobby sometimes does, too, in the front near the checkouts.

If you or a relative has any old albums, use those to decorate -- either line them up on the mantle or hang them from the ceiling with ribbon.  Also, those fun glass soda fountain style cups are cute for decorations.  I stuffed mine with tissue paper and added a straw and a red yarn ball for a cherry.  My mom had some, but I think I have seen some at the Dollar Tree.

Pink and black and white streamers go well with this kind of theme.

• Like 1

Having recently just rewatched Grease, you may not want it for 12/13 yo girls. While most of may go right over their heads, like it did most of us when it came out, as a parent and having other people’s kids there, you may spend the entire night cringing at the dact you let them watch it.

I got asked what a gang bang is....

As for decorating with records. Thrift shops often sell them for .10-.25 cents a piece. If you are taking them out of the sleeves, it won’t matter who the artist is. They wouldn’t know even if they were close enough to read the labels. But anyone who actually owns vinyl now is not going to want to lend their vinyl collection out for deciration purposes.

Plus you may be able to make a craft out of old lp’s. Picture frame? Clock?

Edited by Renthead Mommy
  • Like 2

popcorn

ice cream sodas

string of pearls for the girls as party favors (you can get cheap play ones)

look at disney movies.  (even ones from the 60's)

a 1960's

original love bug movie

shaggy dog

incredible voyage (homeward bound was the remake.)

francis the talking mule

the original parent trap

charlie the lonesome cougar

here's a list of the wonderful world of disney movies going back to the 1950's.   these are one's made for tv, and less likely to have been seen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Disney_television_films

• Like 1

Jello!!  Do you have a jello mold or could do a jello salad?

My aunts recall having Hawaii themed parties in the 50s. 

Limbo

Shirley Temple sodas, Tang, Root Beer Floats

Hamburgers.  Mac n cheese.  TV dinners were just becoming a hit then.  Celery with pimento cheese (or cheese whiz)

Movies:  Singing in the Rain, War of the Worlds (the original, not the remake), Sabrina (original---you might want to preview just to be sure).  Lots of kids movies came out in the 50s:  Lady and the Tramp, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Johnny Tremain (Disney)

• Like 4

The original Gidget movie might be fun.  (Then when the girls finally see Grease, they'll know who Sandra Dee is...)

Or maybe a (very mild) horror flick, such as The Blob?

Sock hop dancing, Hula-hoop contests, bubble blowing (with gum) contests, paddle ball (the little wooden paddles with attached rubber balls)...

I love your food ideas!  Sounds yummy!

• Like 4

You definitely need molded jello, bonus points for putting fruit or veggies in it. Super bonus points if you make one with meat. I have some of my grandma’s cookbooks from the 50’s, I sometimes wonder what in the world they were thinking!

• Like 1

Jello!!  Do you have a jello mold or could do a jello salad?

Ergh, that's just gross. But if you go that route, you might as well search for lists and fun pictures of disgusting food from the era, like: 

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/6-gross-thanksgiving-foods-your-grandparents-ate-we-tested/

Well, not that particular one, because it's Cracked and probably pretty inappropriate, but you can find some fun ones. Or just print pictures and leave off the commentary. 

The original Gidget movie might be fun.  

I was disturbingly obsessed with Gidget and Moondoggie at that age. Mind, I'm so old that I had to scout the TV listings and then stay up past midnight to watch it. 

• Like 1

My daughter had a '50s party this summer. All the girls dressed up and we served Jello salad, listened to '50s music, and hula-hooped. We did it in the backyard, so I didn't worry about decorations. My dad has a '57 Chevy Two-ten and he was supposed to come give rides, but it was leaking oil. :(

It was a fun party with a fun theme!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’ve never understood why everyone likes Grease. I first saw it in my late teens and hated it. The songs are catchy, but the characters are just awful to each other. Bullying each other over their s@xual activities, bad decisions, the boys pressuring the girls into s@x. Urgh.

I’d stick with something a little more innocent than that one for young teens

• Like 3