Menu

Do you celebrate at midnight?

Night Elf

Finally getting around to watching Queen Elizabeth's Christmas message tonight. We're North Americans but like to watch it for historical and cultural enjoyment. Maybe this will be a new New Year's Eve tradition.

Link in case anyone else is interested and trying to fill the time until midnight. Ha!  

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

It's almost time! Happy New Year!

Thank you! My kids just started begging me to be able to pull an all nighter, something they haven't done before. Arg. Part of me wants to say yes, so they can get it out of their system. I even said, hoping they'd get over it, that if so no electronics, just reading, board games, and talking, and they still wanna. I'm probably going to say no but will let them stay up a little later than usual for NY, like 1. Ha!

• Like 1

We sat down last night to watch a film, timing it to finish just before midnight (it was Amelie - highly recommended sweet film, so long as you can cope with some sexual content).  Then we had a glass of fizz and watched the fireworks at the local town, which we can see from our sitting room window. It was nice sitting in the dark chatting with just the lights on the Christmas tree and the fireworks.

• Like 3

Not always, but as this year sucked so abysmally, we really wanted to see the a** end of 2017. ;)

We stopped our LOTR marathon on disc one of Return of the King to switch to watching the ball drop, poured shots of prosecco, just enough for a toast, called all the teens downstairs and toasted the new year in together.  After which we pretty much all went to bed immediately.

• Like 2

Our night:

7yo decided he had enough at 8pm.  He got himself a glass of eggnog, declared it midnight, and asked to turn on the Netflix countdown.  10 minutes later he was passed out.

DH and I were scarred for life watching Dick Clark's NYE countdown.  Between the pimpin' style of Florida Georgia Line, the very choreographed moves of a K-pop band, and adults talking about wearing diapers out there in the square, we threw in the towel at around 10:30. 

DS18 stayed up gaming with his friends, oblivious to the world.  I'm not even sure they stopped to do the countdown.

We skipped the downtown celebration this year because it was in the single digits (or for you Celsius folks, very solidly in the negative teens).  Just as well, since even though they do the fireworks early, the countdown would have been too late for the 7yo.

We stayed up. We stay up every year. I don't remember a New Year's Eve that we went to bed early. Of course, 11:00 is our normal "bedtime" on school days, so it isn't much of a stretch to stay up until 11:00. During Christmas break, we rarely go to bed before 11:00. We will probably go to bed around 1:00 am. Right now we are all wide awake. I never realized how early many people go to bed normally!

We aim to have the whole family in bed between 8:30 and 9:30 PM.

It's the only way we get enough sleep; my body wakes up early no matter what time I go to bed and some of my kids are the same way. If I stay up past midnight I will feel sick for almost a week.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

DD wants to stay up, so we did. This year was a movie rented from Amazon and sparkling cider at midnight, plus DD made Chex mix. WooHoo. Both DH and I struggle with seasonal depression (and in my case, it’s closer to seasonal PTSD), so it’s a struggle to be at all conversational, let alone happy. Watching a movie is helpful.

• Like 1

We had a blast and got to bed sometime around 1:30am ish.  We played Terraforming Mars (a game similar to Settlers of Catan, but a bit more in depth) which middle son and I tied in.  When we looked up the tiebreaking rules, I won!   :hurray:  Then we played Wide World (an OLD game - we like the 1962 version) that I played at my grandmother's house as a young lass.  My boys grew up playing it there too.  We bought our own via e-bay a year or two ago.  FWIW, we play it as if the world is flat because it makes it far more fun/challenging, so perhaps there is some truth to the Flat Earth Theory???   :lol:   Anyway, middle son finished his destinations first, but hubby won due to the point system.  That makes middle son "first loser" in both games.  Poor guy!  We all enjoyed it though.

We finished in time to pour our bubbly, toast in the New Year while video chatting youngest son's new GF, and sat around reminiscing for the following hour+.  There was so much to share this year between college graduation, med school, study abroad, various trips, various health issues  :sad: , and other things from life.  Then there are our hopes for next year - so many hopes and dreams.

Our tradition is one I wouldn't trade for any amount of money.

Now we're pretty much back to regular life and the lads leave early tomorrow & Wed. (sigh)  I'm glad we got to seize the day/week while they were here.  Time flies.  I hope their dreams come true.

• Like 2

Yes, I always have for as long as I can remember.  I remember my dad shooting off his shotgun at midnight when I was a young school kid.  :P

I have kept my kids up to midnight (and often after, as we are usually away from home at New Year's) since they were 1 & 2.  I don't remember their first New Year's, LOL.  I probably let them sleep that first year.

We aim to have the whole family in bed between 8:30 and 9:30 PM.

It's the only way we get enough sleep; my body wakes up early no matter what time I go to bed and some of my kids are the same way. If I stay up past midnight I will feel sick for almost a week.

That is so interesting to me.  I guess we are just built to be night owls here.  Going to bed early for me would be 10:00 and it would likely be because I was coming down with something.  We often aren't even eating dinner until 7:30 or 8:00!

• Like 1

Our night:

7yo decided he had enough at 8pm. He got himself a glass of eggnog, declared it midnight, and asked to turn on the Netflix countdown. 10 minutes later he was passed out.

DH and I were scarred for life watching Dick Clark's NYE countdown. Between the pimpin' style of Florida Georgia Line, the very choreographed moves of a K-pop band, and adults talking about wearing diapers out there in the square, we threw in the towel at around 10:30.

DS18 stayed up gaming with his friends, oblivious to the world. I'm not even sure they stopped to do the countdown.

We skipped the downtown celebration this year because it was in the single digits (or for you Celsius folks, very solidly in the negative teens). Just as well, since even though they do the fireworks early, the countdown would have been too late for the 7yo.

That K-pop band blew our minds!

I'm always up until 1 or 2 am so it's not a big deal for me. We let the kids stay up this year and had our neighbors over for a game night. We stopped gaming for about 15 seconds to count down from 10 with the kids, yell "Happy new Year!" (again for the sake of the kids), and then went back to our game. In years past we would barely stop our game, if at all, when it reached midnight. Some years we would notice only because we started hearing fireworks. We say yay and keep playing! haha! NYE is just a great excuse for a late game night for us!!! 

Yes. The two kids who are still at home are both night owls and don't have any trouble staying up until midnight. Even as a preschooler, DD would stay up and be just fine the next day! We usually get pizza and snacks and play board games until midnight. A few minutes before midnight, we turn on the TV and watch the ball drop in Times Square, shoot off some party poppers, yell "Happy New Year!", and then we go to bed. LOL.