Menu

Wedding Dress

DawnM

I made payments on my dress in 89. It was 800 dollars. I could of care less my dh loved the dress. He picked out the dress. I let a few other people wear it then donated it to a thrift store in 2001 LOL. It was never my favorite. I was a freaking kid when I got married. Got the dress my dh wanted and the wedding my parents wanted. It was small town bible belt with little life experience..

My dream wedding as a introvert was beach wedding in a halter dress just the 2 of us. Like I said I had no back bone and small town church bible belt southern no life no future mind set so I went with what people expected.

I still hate my decisions 27 years later.

I really would like a do over of my life.

That makes me sad!

I got mine for about $100 off the rack in a small bridal store at a mall.  This was an 80's style dress, and I think the style is pretty ugly now!  But I wasn't picky.  It was pretty basic and did the job.  I wore a wreath of flowers in my hair.

My dd got married a few years ago, and her dress was $100 off the rack too.  Even simpler than mine, but then she was carrying it on a plane to Central America to get married. 

I got my dress at the annual Filene's Basement wedding dress sale, back in 1992. Most dresses were $99, but I paid $199 for mine, which retailed for something like $3500, according to the tag. It was gorgeous, except for the big spray of plastic daisies sewn on to it! I removed the daisies, and spent $100 on alterations. That included shortening a much too-long train, and the seamstress used the extra fabric from the train to make some very pretty silk roses and bows that we used in various ways.

• Like 1

I don't remember the price tag, but it was definitely under $200, and not a "real" wedding dress.  I never even liked it, but I would have hated going naked even more.  I still wish I had just eloped!

I wish we had eloped as well, but my parents don't believe a wedding is legit if not done by a pastor in a church.  They don't even like it when people get married on the beach.  Seriously!  They are "must be done in the church" people.  Sigh.

In fact, we knew a couple who had no money.  I was probably in middle school at the time.  At the end of a church service on a Sunday morning, the pastor said, "I am going to say the benediction, if any of you would like to stay, I will be performing a wedding service for Bill and Jane, and you are welcome to stay."

The service was short, the ladies in the church had some sort of light food prepared for them, and that was that.  No real cost involved.  I think she may have had some flowers, but I can't remember.

Anyway, my parents would have been better with option #2 above but not eloping.

I think my dress was about $300.  I went shopping for the dress with my mom and maybe my sister.  I'm not sure.  I got the exact dress that I wanted but I tried to get out of the shop as quickly as possible.  Nothing bad happened, but I was afraid that things would get awkward if my mom learned that the saleswoman was my step-mother's granddaughter.

I really like my dress.  It's hanging in my closet in case one of my five daughters wants to wear it someday.

• Like 1

I made payments on my dress in 89.  It was 800 dollars.  I could of care less my dh loved the dress.  He picked out the dress.  I let a few other people wear it then donated it to a thrift store in 2001 LOL.   It was never my favorite. I was a freaking kid when I got married.  Got the dress my dh wanted and the wedding my parents wanted.  It was small town bible belt with little life experience..  

My dream wedding as a  introvert was beach wedding in a halter dress just the 2 of us.  Like I said I had no back bone and small town church bible belt southern no life no future mind set so I went with what people expected.

I celebrate my 19th wedding anniversary on Thursday. I mostly like my dress, although in retrospect the fleur-de-lis brocade fabric I thought was regal looking at the time I now think looks like upholstery fabric :lol:

But I definitely do regret that I gave in to my parents' idea of a "proper" reception and had a stuffy sit-down dinner at the officers' club with mostly extended relatives and my dad's business associates rather than a casual clambake at the beach with friends and close family. My parents had actually threatened to hold a reception without us because I dragged my feet for so long after our quickie JoP wedding. I should have stood up for what I really wanted but I was not quite 22 and they were footing the bill.

I celebrate my 19th wedding anniversary on Thursday. I mostly like my dress, although in retrospect the fleur-de-lis brocade fabric I thought was regal looking at the time I now think looks like upholstery fabric :lol:

But I definitely do regret that I gave in to my parents' idea of a "proper" reception and had a stuffy sit-down dinner at the officers' club with mostly extended relatives and my dad's business associates rather than a casual clambake at the beach with friends and close family. My parents had actually threatened to hold a reception without us because I dragged my feet for so long after our quickie JoP wedding. I should have stood up for what I really wanted but I was not quite 22 and they were footing the bill.

My mother was a floral designer in the 1990s when I got married and had been a church organist in the 70s and 80s.  She had lots of opinions she thought she needed to share.  What a pain. Anyway our church wedding became a wedding at my in-law's house for 45 because my mother couldn't keep the guest lists to people I actually knew. No, Mom, my wedding isn't about imaginary social debts to be repaid to people whose baby showers you attended 25 years ago or my step-dad's co-workers who I've never met in my life.

My girls, who are both engaged now, have each been given a check for the amount we can afford to contribute to their weddings, putting them completely in the driver's seat.  I have no opinion about a wedding that doesn't involve me as the bride. Everyone's happy.  I happily go along with whatever they want and they're happy to have me along at wedding shopping and choosing pattern and fabric for their wedding quilts that the women folk on my side will make for them.

The only suggestions I make are obviously jokes.  Pirate theme with rum cake! Bedazzling never goes out of style!  British big-a$$ hat wedding with fish and chips! Baliwood wedding with all your pasty white female relatives in bare midriff sari dresses and fancy nose rings!

• Like 3

<snip>

Me, too. When will they develop that technology?

--

On a more positive note, I think we may have found DD's wedding dress at a drastically discounted price. I was looking online today and found the dress. We compared pics and it is the exact dress she tried on. We took DD's measurements and submitted those to the online retailer and ordered it. Now we wait. It is supposed to be here by the end of January or early Feb. Ordering such an expensive and important item online is anxiety inducing. If we got schnookered or something happens at least we'll have time to get a different dress from another retailer. The price difference was worth the gamble though. 

Keeping my fingers crossed.