Menu

Ugh. I have NO inspiration for buying Christmas gifts!

PeachyDoodle

I'm adopting the four gift rule for my five kids this holiday season:

Something you want

Something you need

Something to wear

Something to read

I've got the something to read already bought (through scholastic flyers from my kids schools - you can't beat these value packs - 8 magic tree house books for $16, 15 I Survived books for $30, etc.)

I'm stuck on the something you need. My kids don't really NEED anything. I'm thinking a bag of toiletries, socks and undies?

Edited by meganrussell

I have struggled with inspiration since my kids became teens.  My husband is very hard to buy for too.  And his parents... ugh, forget it. That's pretty much the extent of my gift list.

This year we are doing something different within our little nuclear family: giving only small token gifts to each other ('cause it's fun to have something to open on Christmas) and having the family gift be a short trip over spring break in March.   So Christmas morning will be socks, chocolates, stuff like that.  Easy enough.

I have struggled with inspiration since my kids became teens.  My husband is very hard to buy for too.  And his parents... ugh, forget it. That's pretty much the extent of my gift list.

This year we are doing something different within our little nuclear family: giving only small token gifts to each other ('cause it's fun to have something to open on Christmas) and having the family gift be a short trip over spring break in March.   So Christmas morning will be socks, chocolates, stuff like that.  Easy enough.

This is my life too.  It doesn't help that gift giving isn't really my love-language.    I'm at a loss every year.  And now my kids are getting married and adding more people to my "to-buy" list... ugh.  First World problems, I know.  

• Like 2

My kids already have more toys than they know what to do with, so this year we are giving them each an trip/experience for their big gift.  They will each also get one toy that they want, one "grown up" tool (a camera for one, I think a 3D pen for another, etc), and a book.

Now I just have to think about what I can put in their stockings that won't just be more junk.

Wendy

Maybe because it's not even mid-November yet? At least it's like that for me. Then once all the Christmas music starts playing and trees are decorated, I have too many ideas!

I was out yesterday shopping because my oldest needs pants. Christmas music was blaring in all of the stores! Children’s Place, JC Penney, Old Navy...and why is it so loud? I don’t think I’m *that* old yet, or a Scrooge, but I just kept thinking ‘Why’s this blasted music so loud?!! Or on at all?!’ Lol

• Like 1

I know what the "big" gift is for each kid.  It's the little stuff that needs some inspiration this year.  If I just get out and do it (or get on the laptop, either way), it will happen.  For DH, too.  It's usually fun, once I get started.

It's the 3,064 extended members that have me stumped.  Ok, it's actually just over 30.  But seriously.  That's a LOT of little gifts.  

We can't really do anything for anybody outside of close family this year. Sadly, I have LOTS of ideas--but not the money to implement... It's the parents that I usually have trouble with, but we can't do for them this year. I don't think they really mind--they just want to be thought of, so I will try to come up with something to let them know we are thinking of them.

I know what the "big" gift is for each kid.  It's the little stuff that needs some inspiration this year.  If I just get out and do it (or get on the laptop, either way), it will happen.  For DH, too.  It's usually fun, once I get started.

It's the 3,064 extended members that have me stumped.  Ok, it's actually just over 30.  But seriously.  That's a LOT of little gifts.  

I have a really big family, so we do a gift exchange game with my siblings/spouses, cousins, etc. Everyone brings around a $25 gift and we steal them from the previous person or grab a new one from the pile. It's so much fun and ends up in lots of laughs! For the nieces and nephews, we draw names and buy around $25 gift for the names you've drawn. That works out well too! 

I don't have any great ideas, but everyone in my immediate family is getting an OralB power toothbrush that syncs to a smartphone app and monitors the time/quality of brushing. Our dentist sells the at his cost which is almost 50% off retail price.

We have spent sooooo much money on dental work the last few year that this is my last step before making everyone get dentures. (Just kidding!)

Outside of immediate family, I do something homemade- jam, cookies, candy, crafts. Last year I was teaching myself to quilt so I made quilted pot holders. I have figured out what I will do this year, but I found a recipe that I might try. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/50823/sparkling-holiday-jam/

Edited by City Mouse
  • Like 1

I have a really big family, so we do a gift exchange game with my siblings/spouses, cousins, etc. Everyone brings around a $25 gift and we steal them from the previous person or grab a new one from the pile. It's so much fun and ends up in lots of laughs! For the nieces and nephews, we draw names and buy around $25 gift for the names you've drawn. That works out well too!

I would soooo love that! We do that, sort of, *as well*... it's really obscene. :D

Our situation is unique. We buy for my mom, and DH's parents and his sisters who do for our kids. And then we have family-friends (they are our real family, we are together all the time, and every holiday and bday). It was enough, with just them. :)

And then we reconnected with DH's extremely large birthfamily. We adore them. There are 8 aunts and uncles with kids, and more grandparents, and it's fabulous and wonderful that they include us all in their lives. They have a bigger gift culture than we do, so there are 15 more people to buy for, and they tend to give more than one item, not just tokens. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it is a big financial change for us to add that much to the budget. And I just feel overwhelmed at the prospect of that much shopping and creative gifting!

I would soooo love that! We do that, sort of, *as well*... it's really obscene. :D

Our situation is unique. We buy for my mom, and DH's parents and his sisters who do for our kids. And then we have family-friends (they are our real family, we are together all the time, and every holiday and bday). It was enough, with just them. :)

And then we reconnected with DH's extremely large birthfamily. We adore them. There are 8 aunts and uncles with kids, and more grandparents, and it's fabulous and wonderful that they include us all in their lives. They have a bigger gift culture than we do, so there are 15 more people to buy for, and they tend to give more than one item, not just tokens. I wouldn't trade it for the world, but it is a big financial change for us to add that much to the budget. And I just feel overwhelmed at the prospect of that much shopping and creative gifting!

I can see how that can get complicated! Yes, the game is tons of fun because we get really greedy lol! Once my sister opened an assortment of lip glosses and proceeded to use them so no one would steal....lol!! I think they did anyway! 

How about something personalized, like ornaments for your DH family? That always tends to go over well! I love giving ornaments because not usually something one buys for themselves. Tervis tumblers are also another item that goes over well for friends, teachers, nieces/nephews, etc. 

Edited by magnificent_baby
  • Like 1

I can see how that can get complicated! Yes, the game is tons of fun because we get really greedy lol! Once my sister opened an assortment of lip glosses and proceeded to use them so no one would steal....lol!! I think they did anyway!

How about something personalized, like ornaments for your DH family? That always tends to go over well! I love giving ornaments because not usually something one buys for themselves. Tervis tumblers are also another item that goes over well for friends, teachers, nieces/nephews, etc.

Oh! Your sister is hysterical! Love it!

Hey, the Personalized Creations catalogue just arrived. I think you are onto something there! Thank you! That solves a lot of problems, and maybe I'll just steal the Tervis tumbler idea, too and give them all the same things. Is that cheating?

• Like 1

Everyone makes Wish Lists around here,with stars by the stuff they really want.

Older ones do it on Amazon, which even allows for comments (like "good used is fine") and easy sharing.

Personally, I hate to waste money & stress on "guessing" if this gift will make that person happy.

Some of my options have been to creatively give cash (origami, bookmark in book, with a food treat). 

And to give a small card game or some cheap "activity" to extend the Cmas morning experience (Nerf darts + Bell targets this year).

Honestly, I do not think it is the Mom's Job to read everyone's minds & create a perfect gift-opening experience. (Am I ranting?)

One thing that has helped me from getting in an anxious spin is the daily reminders on 101daystochristmas.com, a spin-off of OrganizedChristmas.com

My son-in-law looks forward to his annual homemade granola bars + check.  :)

I had some felted blue wrens made for my mother, which I think will delight her. There is no space in dd's life for anything other than dreams, so I'm buying some shares for her. Any ideas on witty hoodies for my brother?

It's the time of year here for craft markets; mostly women trying to sell trinkets so they can afford to buy different trinkets for their own families. Maybe your local artisans have the perfect something or other, and you can give that along with the story of supporting small businesswomen. :)

I have struggled with inspiration since my kids became teens. My husband is very hard to buy for too. And his parents... ugh, forget it. That's pretty much the extent of my gift list.

This year we are doing something different within our little nuclear family: giving only small token gifts to each other ('cause it's fun to have something to open on Christmas) and having the family gift be a short trip over spring break in March. So Christmas morning will be socks, chocolates, stuff like that. Easy enough.

We've done something similar to this for many years. We basically just do stockings and everyone contributes small, individually wrapped things to all of them. Then we go on a trip together sometime during the year. This year it looks like it might be a few days in the mountains during the holidays because my son's knee might just be ready for skiing again after a three year break.

The only other person on my list is my mom, as thankfully our extended families do not exchange gifts. We pay for her cleaning person throughout the year, and then I usually send some books and local fruit at the holidays, and sometimes an amaryllis. Her book club often ends up using the books I send.

We also buy for several gift tags from the holiday tree at my work. My son and I have a tradition of doing this shopping together. Most of the tags are pretty specific, so it's just a matter of locating the items.

• Like 1