Menu

What do you do while waiting for the dc?

klmama

Now that my adult dc aren't here to help with the driving to activities, I end up waiting for my dc a lot more than I did in the past.  I try to read, take a walk, or run errands, but I'm getting bored with those.  What else do you to do pass the time while you wait, especially when there's no one to talk to?  

Reading, walking, and running errands were my things.  Going over their homeschool work, or looking/working ahead in math or whatever so I could help them.  I never had enough time to get bored with those.  :-)   I would generally not sit in the car and read - but would try to find a cafe (even a table in a food court or Target or whatever), get a coffee or something, and have a comfortable place to sit.  

Mostly I read, walk, or run errands :) But I also work on studying foreign languages. If you have a smart phone, there are some great apps (Duolingo, Memrise, Clozemaster). I could also crochet, but I don't.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 1

Walking when that is feasible.

I bring my laptop and either work or play on the internet.  Though that is getting less pleasant as sitting hurts my tailbone.

Sometimes I run errands - grocery store, fill gas & air.  Sometimes I go buy myself a treat!

For this winter, I am thinking about looking at yoga options or other indoor fitness options near their activities.

I take a coloring book and colored pencils, and color. 

Or a book, and read. 

Or some hand sewing of some sort, and work on that. 

Or go grocery shopping.

Or (for one particular event where this is possible), go hang out at my local quilt shop; she lets folks bring their projects and sewing machines and just hang out and work on things. Bliss.

Or I work on my weekly Bible study, if I have one going. 

When I start getting bored, I mix it up -- I have a whole slew of coloring books, so I alternate/rotate which one I take with me. I keep a few books for just waiting rooms/wait times, and rotate those. I have more than one hand sewing thing I can do, so rotate those.

I have one bag that is my "Waiting on Kids" bag, and I try to have one of each type of activity in it at all times, so that I can choose what I'm in the mood for or switch activities if I decide I'm bored. I also include a few snacks, and/or will switch up where I go wait -- maybe a coffee shop this time, a relaxed eatery next time (ex: Panera), a park if the weather is nice, in the car with the radio on if it's a short enough wait, etc. 

If I'm in the waiting room of an office, I'll go through their magazines first because it's new material, not something I have at home, not the routine, and then my activities don't become boring to me. For books, I hit Half Price Books clearance section so I always have something new to read, too, by all different sorts of authors. 

If I had decent earbuds, I'd probably also bring my iPod and listen to music some of the time...I should put that on my Christmas list, earbuds and one of those USB portable charger things. Because I do a LOT of waiting.....

I bring my “mobile office,†which is my laptop bag stocked with pens, scissors, colored pencils, whatever I might need to grade papers or prepare projects for upcoming weeks. I can get a lot done in two hours with my laptop, some supplies, and no smallboys. I also bring my phone and headphones and catch up on my favorite shows while I’m working. (Our dojang has WiFi.)

Or I knit, read, grocery shop, or just play games on my phone/hang out here. I have also on occasion sat in my car and taken a nap.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

Walking is great and my go to.  I love to get a little exercise in.  Reading and errands are big for me too.  I also knit or crochet.  I bring a laptop and do class planning (I teach co-op) or catch up on e-mails or even just surf the web.  I also sometimes find wifi and watch netflix on my ipad.  I discovered last night if I pull in front of a library near the theater my son is rehearsing at, I can watch netflix in my car.  :lol:

Edited by WoolySocks

Now that my adult dc aren't here to help with the driving to activities, I end up waiting for my dc a lot more than I did in the past.  I try to read, take a walk, or run errands, but I'm getting bored with those.  What else do you to do pass the time while you wait, especially when there's no one to talk to?  

Mostly the things you mentioned, sometimes play on my phone or read the boards. While I get bored with running errands, they're things that need to be done anyway, so, it doesn't matter how bored I am with them. Sometimes I just sit lost in thought. Or, I watch the kids (this only works at some activities, like soccer or TKD).

Oh, and another favorite of mine is to do schoolwork with my other kid. The other kid doesn't tend to be quite as enthusiastic about that option though, but last year I think I did the vast majority of Broccoli's schooling while Celery was at speech, or OT, or TKD, or etc. 

Also, sometimes I won't let my kids do an activity simply because I either don't want to do the driving or don't want to spend the time sitting there waiting for them. And I think that that's perfectly fine. They have activities - they don't need to have every possible activity on the planet.

• Like 2

A group of cheer moms have started bringing in the excercise DVDs we bought with good intentions and working out together. I also tutor a couple of siblings during practice (DD is at cheer for at least 2 and sometimes 3 hours at a stretch, but since it's 30-45 minutes from home, it's not worth it to go home and come back to get her).

While DD is in her college classes, two days a week I meet with my mentee.

• Like 1