Menu

Severe Sciatica

rainbowmama

I feel for him. I have a congenital defect that cause sciatica-like symptoms now and then.

The only thing that has helped me is chiropractic alignment and massages between the chiro appointments.

I also do a series of stretches every morning before I leave for work.

Do you have a foam roller? They are inexpensive and they can be a start but my guess is the chiro will have to move one of the bones off the nerve or something like that.

I would send him to my D.O. Our pediatrician is a DO too, but is 100% allopathic. My DO who does manipulation did more to relieve my back injury after 1 visit than what I got from 6 weeks of chiropractic care. Full disclosure: I had no sciatica pain, but Dr. Wonderful has helped others w that. 

A friend got an epidural that has relieved his sciatica for months. 

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Agreeing with PT, Chiro, and massage.  I also do yoga stretches specific to sciatica.  

You can also purchase a deep tissue massager and use it every day at home.  You will have to massage his lower back and hip for him.  He will know when you hit the right spot..it will hurt.  However, that is where you need to gently work the kinks out.  Fifteen minutes every day should be enough to help.  

I had spastic muscles in my lower back that would irritate that nerve and send pain shooting down to my ankle for 15 years in and off. Sometimes it was so bad I couldn’t walk. I have gone to months of physical therapy two different times and it always came back. I stopped eating gluten and the pain is completely gone. Apparently, my muscles in that area get inflamed when I eat gluten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sciatica is often tied to the piriformis muscle entrapping the nerve the sciatic nerve.

Your husband can try and release it himself basically by sitting on a softball or lacross ball....and rolling that around.  When he finds the painful spots, hang out there for a count of 5-10. Google piriformis release on YouTube.

A neuromuscular therapist (massage therapist) can help, as can a chiropractor or osteopathic physician, or PT.    I would consider all three actually, as muscles move bones, so you need to address tight muscles if you want any adjustment to hold.  

• Like 4

He needs to get an MRI and see what it shows! Don't just guess at what is wrong. Get the imaging!  

Probably a disc issue.

Maybe treatable with pt/chiro/massage etc. Many people find relief this way. 

Maybe surgery is needed? My sciatica was not resolvable with anything other than surgery.

• Like 5

Agree with chiropractor. Also ask the dr if a SI joint belt might help his specific issue. It's basically a wide belt with Velcro to put around your hips and essentially holds everything in that area together. I bought mine on Amazon but I have a friend who was able to get one for free from her insurance. It really helps if the cause of the sciatica is SI joint problems.

I've also had a steroid shot into the SI joint which calmed things down significantly when it was very debilitating (could only step laterally, could not climb stairs etc). The injection itself hurt but it did provide relief.

• Like 1

For me, the worst case was during one pregnancy, and I went to a chiropractor.   Now, when it bothers me it's mild.  I don't know if this would help your husband but here's a link to a spinal traction device for home use.  There's a video included so you can see a demonstration.  (I own it and use it as needed.)

http://www.qvc.com/Lo-Bak-TRAX-Portable-Spinal-Traction-Device-by-Lori-Greiner.product.H209343.html?sc=PSCH 

• Like 1

He needs to get an MRI and see what it shows! Don't just guess at what is wrong. Get the imaging!  

Probably a disc issue.

Maybe treatable with pt/chiro/massage etc. Many people find relief this way. 

Maybe surgery is needed? My sciatica was not resolvable with anything other than surgery.

Can you say what was done during surgery?

Agree with chiropractor.  My favorite stretches for sciatica involve the spine and hips:

1. Lean backward over the kitchen sink, trying to keep your torso upright. This stretches out the muscles on the interior of your spine.  It's slight, and he'll barely feel it, but it makes a big difference if that's contributing.  ETA:  This leaning back is less than 4" and you want to keep your heels up against the kitchen cabinets.
  2. Modified front split lunge: Back up to a chair or couch. Put your ankle/foot up on the top of the backrest (where your head would normally go).  Push down until your knee is where the seat meets the back, where your butt typically goes.  Lean forward, stretching the muscles in your pelvis, lunging if necessary to get a good stretch.
Edited by Katy

Can you say what was done during surgery?

I had a herniated disc. L4

The surgery was a lumbar laminiectomy.  Basically, they take out the portion of the disc which is hitting on the nerve.

It was outpatient/23 hrs. No trouble with recovery, though it was slow-paced and lots of pt. No back pain since, and that was 15+ years ago. 

I do get sciatica or leg/foot cramps now if I do much exericse because the disc has continued to degenerate. I got 10 years pain free and ok for moderate exercise from the surgery. I get an MRI every few years to check on it. Chiro helps, but many chiros here will not work on you without an MRI to read (Xray is not sufficient.) if you have a known history of disc trouble. 

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor.

My dh just saw an  ortho doc at Mayo this past week for the very same issue.  The Dr.  prescribed PT and also wrote 'scripts' for a LidoDerm patch as well as a topical lidocaine gel. In addition, he told HIM that as a temporary measure he could double up on Aleve twice a day. The Aleve has actually helped.  Just sharing...

ETA: Still can't type...  :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Jenn in FL

I was pretty much chair bound for a few months, the pain was so bad. Chiropractor helped but what did the trick in the end was spinal decompression. It’s basically a controlled “rack†that stretches the spine so the disk can get back where it belongs and stop pressing in a nerve. It worked. Sometimes the disk slips again but I can get it back with a simple adjustment or exercise now. Thank God. That was terrible pain. I’m sorry for your dh.

I convinced him to see a chiro. He said it really hurt, and his back feels even worse. :( He's seeing an orthopedic doctor on Monday, but in the meantime, any suggestions for getting through the weekend? I feel pretty guilty.

Sometimes it takes a day or two for the swelling to subside after an alignment.

I would ice it several times a day.

Also, this may be a slipped disc rather that mere sciatica. I think you made the right choice by also having him see an ortho. Hopefully they will image it and assess it.

• Like 1

Dh found the book Treat Your Own Back by Robin McKenzie that his doctor later confirmed he recommended too. It has exercises that do not provide immediate relief but help over the course of 4-6 weeks. I later used it when I threw out my back and it helped me too. For immediate relief, I bought two gel packs from the drugstore that you can either freeze or microwave. I kept one in the freezer and used the second in the microwave, alternating heat and cold or using whatever felt best at the time.

Does he sit in the same chair or spot on the sofa every day? That can be a huge trigger for sciatica. The first time I had a bad case, it was cured in less than a day when we went on vacation, and I wasn't sitting in my favorite spot every evening, lol. I realized it when we got home and it returned the first time I sat in my usual spot. 

Once he gets it under control, yoga and less sitting are wonderful ways to keep it at bay. If work requires that he sit, he may need a new chair if he has a soft one that kind of molds to the body (like a sofa). If he has a harder chair, he still needs to be conscious of good posture, changing positions, and getting up to walk. If he can change between working sitting and standing, all the better. He should not be sitting for more than 40 minutes at a time, even if he just gets up for a brief walk or stretch. This goes for everyone, not just sciatica sufferers.