Menu

Halloween Trick or Treat Prank Ideas?

Cecropia

My oldest is 13 and has said good-bye to trick or treating... he'll be handing out candy this year.  He wants to plan some kind of prank/mini-scare for the trick or treaters that they experience before they can get their candy.  It has to be (somewhat) cheap and not too gory/intense for the really little ones.  What are the best pranks you've seen in your years of going door to door?

Yeah, please don't do anything scary. There was a time when something like that could have ruined the whole night for my child.  :(

My brother once made a huge "robot" out of a box and dispensed candy out of a chute when kids talked to it or pushed buttons or something like that. It was cute. 

• Like 9

Maybe a ghost that drops down when he releases a string (If you have a pulley and some white cloth, I bet he could diy it) He could play a spooky sound at the same time, maybe. The ghost may even have the candy inside it. If the kids are little enough that they might be scared, he could just hand them candy or ask them/their parents, "do you want the spooky part?"

• Like 1

I know some people (or maybe this was just in TV land) have two bowls. They first reach for the wrong bowl and it's got something weird in it. Maybe like plastic spiders or something. Then they correct themselves and offer the real candy bowl.

That might be okay.

I just worry about little kids breaking out in tears if there is something scary that happens. They might take a bit to calm down and the parents probably call it a night after that. That could ruin an evening.

• Like 3

It's not really good for little ones to have something too unexpected happen at a strangers door when they're trick or treating. Something funny or clever that is not startling, and that they can see as they're heading up the walk, would be better.

Maybe ds is ready to go to haunted houses with friends, or to host a teen party with movies and snacks.

• Like 2

I'd do something fun, like MercyA suggested.

If he does something scary, I'd prepare him for being slapped or punched. Seriously. When I am frightened by someone, I immediately, without thought, strike back. It took ds being smacked a couple times before he learned the hard way that some people don't jump and scream. Some people's automatic response is to hit. It's not something I think about, I just do it.

Just be prepared. 😱

Hehe. Dh is a martial arts instructor and his reactions is to grab the nearest body part of whoever jumped out at him and put it in a joint lock. He doesn't even have to think about it, it is his bodies automatic response.

• Like 3

Around here decorations and pumpkins are appreciated and even little kids will compliment things.

We spend time on 10/30 carving pumpkins that line the steps to our door and the trick or treaters always look at them.

Maybe your ds could put extra time into carving pumpkins or other decorations.

• Like 3

Alright, I'm sorry I asked.

when I was a bit younger I might have thought this was neat, but I guess as a parent I'm a lot more hesitant. Don't feel bad for asking! We're looking at it from a parents' point-of-view and probably all know some sensitive kids lol.

I hope he can have fun decorating or something. Honestly, some of our house decorations might have been scary to little ones. We've had graveyards before and also a talking tree decoration! He was silly at least. He used a bunch of puns.

• Like 1

I agree - nothing scary, especially for little ones.  tweens might love that stuff, but few younger children do.

please keep dogs away from the front door. small dogs are actually the worst, because people think they don't' need to be trained or restrained.   but I have a child who was terrified of dogs, and those two stupid miniature poodles running out the door at him barking their heads off, affected him for the rest of the evening.  and because the dogs came running out the door - he went running away from the house. 

I can also see one of mine that would have been crying inside in disappointment if an empty bowl was presented  - even if it was quickly followed by a full one.  please don't do that.

Please reconsider the scary element. My youngest got whacked in the head with a metal gate to someone's outdoor patio a couple years ago when a dude in a fake bloody mask (couldn't see well in it) flung it open without warning to scare the kids. She sobbed for hours and was extremely traumatized. Her head had a nice lump on it for weeks too. *sigh* She insisted on going home and is still apprehensive about ToT. 

• Like 1

Alright, I'm sorry I asked.

No no need to be sorry. I see how your ds wants to have some fun and its tough at that age to find your place. Too old to do kid stuff, but still wants to be fun. I mean I get it. I wish I could think of a solution, but idk it could be. Its good to ask things. We all see tbe world so differently.

And I mean this really. So often here I wind up feeling like an ass for saying or asking whats on my mind. I wish it wasnt like this.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 3

I'm another that reflexively lashes out when surprised/scared. I went to a haunted house in elementary school that I KNEW was staffed by my friends. I still kicked someone in the shins when they jumped out at me. 

My husband refuses to take me to Halloween Horror Nights or any haunted houses for fear of me getting arrested for assault. 

• Like 1