Menu

Cake for 9 yo boy?

PeterPan

Ok, help a woman out here. I sorta, um, let the cake thing go to the last minute, and now the day is here. And not only that, but my mother decided to bring along someone who DOES NOT EAT CHOCOLATE, if you can imagine!!! And ds, with autism, very perseverative, very insistent on CHOCOLATE cake, wants chocolate.

So I need a theme that somehow doesn't take long but uses two flavors. Like last year I frosted a 9X13 blue and put a shark on it and he thought that was awesome. Just some thought, not brilliance. A step up from sprinkles. 

Should I just tell the non-choc person to deal with it? The person is adult aged and picky, not allergic. 

I'm even up to going to Hobby Lobby for a shaped pan. Ok, I'm not. The house isn't ready. But I'd like to think I would. I'm just not getting it all done. I have to go to the grocery store for food even, because we were gone for a week. A box mix is my speed right now. Or Giant Eagle (like Publix) has cakes. Can I somehow refab a cake or two from there and make something? He suggested Expedition Everest (the disney ride, yeti) and I was thinking maybe there's be a way to like crumble and glue cake together and make the mountain. Then we could make the yeti with a big marshmallow...

I don't know, see anything brilliant there? I google searched for EE cakes but didn't turn up much.

I think you can pull off an EE cake.  Do it up like you would a giant cake pop - crumble, add enough frosting to stick it together, and freeze before covering with icing.  Do the same for the yeti out of yellow cake and stick him on.

Or, just sculpt it out of a bowl-shaped cake and tell the non-chocolate person too bad.

• Like 1

I'd make the cake the birthday boy wants.  If I were in an accomodating mood, I'd make a small cake or cupcakes of another flavor for those who don't want chocolate.

If you don't want to go the two cake route, what about cupcakes?

After baking you could put them on a tray and frost as if they were a cake.

• Like 4

I'm thinking I could make a 9X13 cake, let that be the base (in chocolate) and then build the mountains out of rice krispie treats. Then I have mileage with treats too and don't have to do a 2nd cake. And I have coaster cars from the Knex kits, hehe. This could actually work!

How to make flags? Does it need the flags? 

• Like 3

I'm thinking I could make a 9X13 cake, let that be the base (in chocolate) and then build the mountains out of rice krispie treats. Then I have mileage with treats too and don't have to do a 2nd cake. And I have coaster cars from the Knex kits, hehe. This could actually work!

Fruit roll ups.  Get a box of the multi flavor ones.

• Like 1

You could make the flags by cutting triangles out of card stock or scrapbook paper; then hot glue that to toothpicks or skewers or lollipop sticks depending on the desired height.

If you want to make the flags edible, then here are some ideas that just popped into my brain ....maybe you can use them as a springboard for other ideas ....

-candy corn turned sideways (no idea how you'd attach it to a stick)

-pretzel sticks or pretzel rods for the flag pole

-fruit rollup for the flags (but I'm skeptical of their rigidity)

-What about Swedish fish as flags?  Bugles?  

-Maybe tortillas you cut into triangles?  to make them rigid enough, you might want to bake/toast them ... but punch a hole in them before you toast them.  Or use pita bread instead of tortillas to provide rigidity.

- ooooh ... maybe you could cut flags out of cheese slices.  Get thick slices & you could stab a thin pretzel stick into it?  repeat with summer sausage to provide different colors.

Or you could just get rid of the flag idea, too.  :D.

I don't think it's *that* important.

• Like 1

Easy ones:  frost a round cake to look like a Pokéball from Pokemon- half red, half white, black circle in middle.  

Round cake cut in half, decorated like R2D2's head.  

Robot cake  - this one was super easy and fun to do

Adult can just suck it up, or else pick up a single cupcake from the bakery section of the supermarket if you're feeling generous.  I wouldn't be.  I find it incredibly rude that the person mentioned it to your Mom and that your Mom mentioned it to you.  Who the heck puts in a cake request when they aren't even technically invited to the party???  

• Like 2

Do you think you could replicate an easy yeti?

https://i0.wp.com/iandanielstewart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/photo2.jpg

I'm no cake decorator, but I think I could draw a black outline and fill it. Google images of yeti cake come up with other ideas. Does your store have a book of cakes? I bite the $ bullet and buy a cake from their catalog. But the kids know ahead of time it has to be available so I don't get other options. Idk if your DS would go for that.

• Like 1

How does he feel about donuts? Ds turned 9 this summer and asked for a donut cake. You could have mult. choices. This was ours. I think dh got too many donuts!! They had a thing where if you buy X number of donuts you get another dozen free. It was overkill LOL. We had a million leftovers as we didn't have a large party and discovered one or two guests were diabetic. But you could figure out how many would be suitable.

It would be easier than baking a cake.

• Like 2

You could build your mountains out of donut holes instead of rice crispy treats.  If you get an assortment, you could put the chocolate ones on the lowest tiers and the vanilla glazed or powdered sugar variety at the time to simulate snow.  Use toothpicks to hold the mountains together.

Does the mountain have to be 3-D.  If not, decorate the top of the sheetcake with an flat image of the ride.  Serve other treats on the side. 

• Like 3

That’s genius. My six year old has a birthday on the 10th, and I may ask if he’d prefer the leaning tower of donuts to strawberry cheesecake :D

Dh did have to get up early to get fresh ones, but it worked out. We had another attendee pick up the pizza for us (the pizza place wasn't open when he got the donuts and it was quite far from the house).

• Like 1

You know, I loathe chocolate, and whenever I go to a birthday party (or any other party) where the only dessert is chocolate, I say "no thanks" and if pressed "I don't eat chocolate" and go for seconds of mac and cheese (or whatever) as my dessert instead. I don't understand why it would be necessary to make sure an adult guest has a cake they can eat. 

• Like 6

Easy ones:  frost a round cake to look like a Pokéball from Pokemon- half red, half white, black circle in middle.  

Round cake cut in half, decorated like R2D2's head.  

Robot cake  - this one was super easy and fun to do

Adult can just suck it up, or else pick up a single cupcake from the bakery section of the supermarket if you're feeling generous.  I wouldn't be.  I find it incredibly rude that the person mentioned it to your Mom and that your Mom mentioned it to you.  Who the heck puts in a cake request when they aren't even technically invited to the party???  

Ok, you win the day! I can make that robot cake and he likes it. And yes, the adult will have to deal. 

The picky person is family and has been that way all their lives. I just didn't think of it when my mom asked about bringing the person then got stressed. Kiana, that's good to know the person can deal. Maybe I'll get something else made, we'll see. I'm way behind.

Thanks ladies.

• Like 1

Do you think you could replicate an easy yeti?

https://i0.wp.com/iandanielstewart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/photo2.jpg

I'm no cake decorator, but I think I could draw a black outline and fill it. Google images of yeti cake come up with other ideas. Does your store have a book of cakes? I bite the $ bullet and buy a cake from their catalog. But the kids know ahead of time it has to be available so I don't get other options. Idk if your DS would go for that.

Oh that's funny!! Now he's seeing that yeti and likes it too!! I think he wants the yeti on snow, hehe. Awesome find. :D

• Like 2

That’s genius. My six year old has a birthday on the 10th, and I may ask if he’d prefer the leaning tower of donuts to strawberry cheesecake :D

Have you discovered the wonder of Bill's Donuts? It's in Centerville OH. They even make a giant donut that I've seen sliced up for parties.

• Like 1

No help with the decorations....but I am floored that a guest's no chocolate preference was even mentioned to you. Who does that???

I agree...I've never heard of anyone doing something like that... I'd just make whatever cake I knew the birthday kiddo wanted and not worry about it.

• Like 1

No help with the decorations....but I am floored that a guest's no chocolate preference was even mentioned to you. Who does that???

I agree...I've never heard of anyone doing something like that... I'd just make whatever cake I knew the birthday kiddo wanted and not worry about it.

Should I just tell the non-choc person to deal with it? The person is adult aged and picky, not allergic. 

I wouldn't even do that. I'd make the chocolate cake that son wants and not even mention it to the adult. The adult is not the guest of honor. When s/he sees the cake, they will decline eating any. That should be the end of it. Adults need to deal with life. 

• Like 3

I have a child who doesn't like any cake and my DH only tolerates it (who are these people and how are they related to me??? :lol: ). Anyway, I usually make a batch of rice krispie treats to go along with the birthday cake. It's a super fast and easy way to have a cake for those of us who enjoy it and also have a treat for those who don't.

• Like 1

Birthday person gets the cake they want.

When I was a kid my parents invited my brother's gf to my birthday dinner. Then they asked me what I wanted to eat. I wanted steak. No gf doesn't like that. I wanted fish. No gf doesn't like that. I absolutely didn't want hamburgers. Guess what my special meal was. Apparently I still resent not getting my birthday dinner 40 years later.

• Like 4

Birthday person gets the cake they want.

When I was a kid my parents invited my brother's gf to my birthday dinner. Then they asked me what I wanted to eat. I wanted steak. No gf doesn't like that. I wanted fish. No gf doesn't like that. I absolutely didn't want hamburgers. Guess what my special meal was. Apparently I still resent not getting my birthday dinner 40 years later.

Ugh. So who did that gf consult when she had her own birthday meal?

Dh kept trying to change the location of my birthday meal this weekend. I just bought a gift card for the place LOL. Use it with me or I'm going to find a way to use it sometime.

• Like 1

Well it's over. It wasn't perfect (to my mind) or what I thought I wanted, but he did Galapagos Islands. We got one small bundt cake to use for the main island with a volcano and a small batch of cupcakes for the smaller islands. It was all very tasty. And we stuffed a cupcake in the other cake to hold the candle.

So it worked. Next year we can do better. The cake itself was at least really good and then we looked for turtle ice cream to go with it, haha. Turtle, Galapagos...

• Like 8

Well it's over. It wasn't perfect (to my mind) or what I thought I wanted, but he did Galapagos Islands. We got one small bundt cake to use for the main island with a volcano and a small batch of cupcakes for the smaller islands. It was all very tasty. And we stuffed a cupcake in the other cake to hold the candle.

So it worked. Next year we can do better. The cake itself was at least really good and then we looked for turtle ice cream to go with it, haha. Turtle, Galapagos...

Well done!!!  It sounds like you pulled it off with flavors, style, and grace. Way to go!!!!

• Like 3