Menu

Let's be honest

lexi

Well, I haven't used them for math before this year, but Wilson Hill Academy has great reviews for math classes. (Class starts with a prayer, FWIW.) There is at least one new math teacher there this year and I don't know anything about him/her. Reini, Smith, and Stublen (I'm probably spelling at least one of those wrong) are almost universally loved.

If you don't want live, Derek Owens can be done at your kid's pace with Derek doing the video teaching and grading. He is available for questions via email (1-2 day delay on questions, usually). He's a great teacher and a very kind, thoughtful person. 

• Like 3

I have the Lial books for Lessons with Jan in Tx.  if you are interested.  I have the Basic College Mathematics AND the PreAlgebra she uses.  I would have LOVED to have gone that route, and we were all set to go, but we decided last minute to do MUS.  I know that sounds like a weird flip, but it is going well, and it's what my boys need for the time being.

Pam

Well, I haven't used them for math before this year, but Wilson Hill Academy has great reviews for math classes. (Class starts with a prayer, FWIW.) There is at least one new math teacher there this year and I don't know anything about him/her. Reini, Smith, and Stublen (I'm probably spelling at least one of those wrong) are almost universally loved.

If you don't want live, Derek Owens can be done at your kid's pace with Derek doing the video teaching and grading. He is available for questions via email (1-2 day delay on questions, usually). He's a great teacher and a very kind, thoughtful person. 

My dd is in PreA with WHA this year and it is going well. She has the new teacher, Jordan Dwelle (pronounced "dwellee"). He is personable, organized and teaches well. It is early in the year, but so far Dd is very happy with math. WHA uses Dolciani  for PreA.

She is not a "mathy" kid (loves literature and languages), but enjoys the challenge and has no problem doing well. She did RS A-E, then MM 5 and 6 before PreA.

hth

• Like 1

I was you last year. We are doing Derek Owen and loving it!!

I will add that He is doing the parent-grading course. They have a lot of practice problems that the student checks on their own, but the homework and tests that I grade are pretty painless to grade. There are usually 2-3 homework pages per week and he gives a screen shot of the page with the answers on them for the parent to grade by. That makes it super quick. The whole thing is so painless on my part. It helps so much to have that time for my younger kids.

Edited by PineFarmMom

ScoutTN,

That's good to hear that it's going well. Wasn't your student the one who class time and teacher changed?

Yes!

They polled the parents about days/times and ended up not changing ours, thankfully. We did get a teacher switch. He is an engineer and new to online teaching. But he is also a homeschool dad with kids well ahead of PreAlgebra. The change was disappointing at first because I'd watched Mr. Reini teach and was excited for dd to have him, but at this point I have no complaints.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

My daughter took Pre Algebra last year with Jann in TX (myhomeschoolmathclass), and she is taking Algebra 1 this year.  She LOVES this math class!  I would highly recommend it.  They use Lial's textbooks for Pre Algebra and Algebra. 

It depends how mathy she is and your goals.  I have tried many options and have found Derek Owens as my favorite.  It's great because you can go at your pace, don't have to worry about meeting in a class (a certain time etc.) don't have to deal with kids issues, rudeness, problems, distractions, etc.  you get my drift.  :) And if you don't want to do any of it he will grade it all for you and you can be totally hands off.  I have used him with both of my older boys and have NO regrets.

I would not recommend Jann in TX UNLESS your child struggles with math or is not a fan.  I have found it is not very thorough and I know many like her on the board but we did not have good experience with that option for many reasons.

HTH :)

The only outsourced prealgebra we have had was AOPS with WTMA. My ds loved it and has done really well. He has continued with the same teacher through AOPS Algebra 1, Counting and Probability, and now Algebra 2.

When planning 10th grade we started with the WTMA class and worked everything else around it. My ds was determined not to do anything else for math.

Older kids have used Jann in TX and Kolbe online with okay results (got the job done) but nothing like the way this kid connected with his WTMA math classes.

We felt that way after doing last year Pre-A on our own (Dolciani). So this year we outsource to Jann in TX b/c she's a struggling math kid. And I hope from all her reviews here, it will help her love math like her older brother (mathy kid who has taken and loved WHA's Geometry-PreCalc). But they are definitely more rigorous, so it depends on your kid. So far, Jann in TX is great - she's enjoying it. So far, so good.

My older two are enjoying Unlock Math this year (prealgebra and geometry). It is online, but at your own pace. I like that every lesson has review of previous concepts, the students only need to do a short problem set to show mastery (although the system will continue to give new problem sets if the student is struggling or wants extra practice), and best of all, if the student needs help they can chat, email, or call the owners directly for assistance with a concept. It is completely hands-off for me; all I have to do is monitor their progress through the parent account.