Menu

Random food related rant

Joyofsixreboot

DD 19 came home for the first time since she left for her freshman year of college August 17. I asked her how the food was. She reports that she is thrilled she gets to eat uncrustables (prefab pbj sandwich) every night for dinner [emoji35] Really, you are using your meal money for that! She is thrilled since in her deprived childhood (the one where I made extensive efforts to serve healthy, unprocessed food) she never got to have them. Oh my...-smh-

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Don't worry. She'll get tired of those soon enough. My dd was thrilled that there was a sundae bar every night. And I think there was pizza available all the time as well. She was in residence for two years and couldn't wait to get out so she could have her own kitchen and cook her own meals. She eats very well now :)

• Like 8

Yeah, the junk food binge is pretty common when kids have had access to lots of high quality food. Hilarious but very common. I agree it won't last but she's just enjoying the freedom to eat crap. Fortunately that food doesn't feel nearly as good for the body and is be surprised if she wasn't responsive to that in a few weeks ;)

DS21 spent his freshman year eating Subway sandwiches.  He had a ghastly class schedule and could only hit the regular dining hall on weekend.  So 5 days a week, he ate a foot-long subway for lunch around 3pm and another for dinner around 9pm.

He has always been a skinny kid and lost about 15 pounds his freshman year - he looked like a skeleton when we picked him up.  I explained that this is NOT how the Freshman 15 is supposed to work.

• Like 7

I spent my senior year of college eating Tonitos frozen pizzas (those are the really, really cheap kind...) and the occasionally tacos (from a boxed kit) if I had company over.  lol.  I did at least pack myself pretty healthy lunches.  

I can remember running into an acquaintance in the dining hall and seeing his plate piled with grilled chicken and broccoli.  I remember thinking, "What's wrong with that kid?  He could be having chicken tenders and fries!"  HAHAHA!  He was Canadian, so I figured that was what was wrong with him.  

I eat really healthy now.  :-)  

• Like 6

Every single person I know who was raised on mostly healthy food eats total crap when they get out on their own, lol. It doesn't last long for most, others it ends up being a new way of life. We never ate at Burger King or other fast food places, so when I had my own money to pay for it in high school, that's where we went for lunch. It lasted for a few years, and now I never go there. I do admit to buying Uncrustables occasionally for ds when he was younger, and even eating a few myself! Sometimes I was just too lazy to make a PBJ! Plus they don't taste too bad, and many store-bought breads are just as bad as Uncrustable bread. 

• Like 1

DS21 spent his freshman year eating Subway sandwiches.  He had a ghastly class schedule and could only hit the regular dining hall on weekend.  So 5 days a week, he ate a foot-long subway for lunch around 3pm and another for dinner around 9pm.

He has always been a skinny kid and lost about 15 pounds his freshman year - he looked like a skeleton when we picked him up.  I explained that this is NOT how the Freshman 15 is supposed to work.

That is exactly what would happen to ds!

Haha. I was a vegetarian freshman year and due to limited choices I ate enough mac and cheese for probably my whole dorm. You can figure out how that went.

When my brother and his wife were starving students she worked at eat at the time was something like you get a free sub for every X amount of hours you work. (Or something like that) what it worked out to was they had subway all the time.

When my dad was a student he got a job of some kind somewhere for the summer. He thought he would save money by eating only mac and cheese, with ketchup for every meal for the whole summer. The saving money didn't work out, before that summer he had perfect vision, after that summer, and for the rest of his life he needed glasses.

He does still love mac and cheese, and everything is still better with ketchup.

I ate junk all through college, including drinking soda with a lot of meals, though I didn't have the option of fast food (small college/single dining hall). One time a professor surveyed the class to find out what we'd just eaten for lunch; I replied truthfully, "Tapioca pudding and French fries."

It was fine. I now have a proper kitchen and cook from scratch, bake a lot of our bread, drink water, etc., and am at an appropriate weight for my height. College is not going to undo a decade and a half of developing a taste for real food.

• Like 1

Ha ha. Ds23 lived in an apartment the summer after freshman year since he had a research job on campus. I worried about him not hang a meal plan and having to make for for himself ... Mr super skinny who forgets to eat and hated to cook. I tried to teach him a few basics, but he want paying attention all that closely. At the end of the summer, he admitted to me that he ate hot dogs every night. Ack!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ha ha. Ds23 lived in an apartment the summer after freshman year since he had a research job on campus. I worried about him not hang a meal plan and having to make for for himself ... Mr super skinny who forgets to eat and hated to cook. I tried to teach him a few basics, but he want paying attention all that closely. At the end of the summer, he admitted to me that he ate hot dogs every night. Ack!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This would be my son.  He doesn't cook.  I mean seriously....he just goes without or now that he can drive he goes to Arbys.

• Like 1

Oh, yeah. I hear you. I asked College Girl when she came home the first time what she wanted for dinner? Maple Salmon, sweet potatoes, asparagus? Rosemary Ranch Chicken, lemon garlic potatoes, field peas?  Something else homemade? Nope. She wanted to go to (horror. shock.) Taco Bell. What? I don't eat there! That isn't even real food! A friend introduced her, and that was the beginning of the end. We did fast food occasionally, but we mostly ate good home-cooked well balanced nutritional meals. 

But, when she comes home after two semesters away, she did say, "Hey, Mom. You are a good cook. I never really knew that before, but you are.". Wow, thanks, kid!

• Like 1