Menu

If you enjoy jigsaw puzzles, does this happen?

Ginevra

Because I think the abilities of the mind are themselves an interesting puzzle, I always find it thrilling when this happens as I am completing a jigsaw puzzle. I assume other people experience this as well. Or I'm just a puzzle savant, which if that is true, would figure, because AFAIK, that isn't an income-generating skill. But anyway...

I will be working on a puzzle with a fair amount of pieces. I have the frame of the puzzle and some other areas completed. I have the box of additional pieces in my hand and I comb through the pieces. One piece catches my eye; I pluck it from the box and know exactly where it goes.

I guess there are analogous experiences for people in other venues, like maybe a chef just pulls out the blackberry jam on a whim and it's the perfect component of a sauce for the pork. Or maybe an accountant is working on balancing a spreadsheet and the answer to some question just falls into his or her head and boom! A balanced sheet.

Does this occur for most people when they are putting together a puzzle? Also, I am just fascinated by how this is possible. It makes me happy. It is serendipitous.

• Like 4

Any ideas as to how to generate income as a puzzle savant? That would be handy.

Sorry, none.

One piece catches my eye; I pluck it from the box and know exactly where it goes.

You know, I think this is just the kind of random reward that the Skinner Box teaches us causes us to keep coming back for more. Those who like puzzles must get enough of these to keep them interested. Other people simply don't enjoy puzzles.
  • Like 2

Yes, that kind of happens to me too.

I think it is even stranger with word searches. Often, after like the fifth word or so, my eye will automatically go to the right area to find a word. There must be a subconscious part of my mind that has analyzed the letter grid or remembers it or something but I am not consciously aware of it. It is pretty strange!

• Like 2

I can do a sort of cool thing with word searches (which I haven't done since school, but boy was it useful in school) where I cross my eyes a little bit and think about the letter or combination of letters (no more than 2) that I want to find, and those letters jump out from the grid, then it is easy to scan for the right spot for the word.

• Like 1

Sorry, none.

You know, I think this is just the kind of random reward that the Skinner Box teaches us causes us to keep coming back for more. Those who like puzzles must get enough of these to keep them interested. Other people simply don't enjoy puzzles.

Yes, I think that is true.

• Like 1

My husband does this thing with the number jumbler where he completes in roughly 5 seconds what would take me 1-2 minutes, minimum.  Like, I haven't even really seen all the numbers yet and he has the answer.  I am not that much worse at math than he is, so I am not sure why he is so much better - he has a faster processor, maybe.

• Like 3

I can do a sort of cool thing with word searches (which I haven't done since school, but boy was it useful in school) where I cross my eyes a little bit and think about the letter or combination of letters (no more than 2) that I want to find, and those letters jump out from the grid, then it is easy to scan for the right spot for the word.

Ah! Diffused focus. Yes!

• Like 2

Yes, it happens when the piece has the distinctive colours and shape I'm looking for. I know exactly where it goes because I'm looking for precisely these features. It's the pieces that are all blue that I hate. If you can pick up a regular shaped piece of all blue and put it exactly where it belongs, then you are indeed a puzzle master! ;)

Yes, it happens when the piece has the distinctive colours and shape I'm looking for. I know exactly where it goes because I'm looking for precisely these features. It's the pieces that are all blue that I hate. If you can pick up a regular shaped piece of all blue and put it exactly where it belongs, then you are indeed a puzzle master! ;)

Yeah, but the part that I find wild is when I am *not* looking for that piece. I'm looking for, say, something that goes in the pink flower pot on the lower right, but a yellow piece with a speck of grey turns up and I pull it out, knowing it is exactly the piece that goes to the window up in the left corner.

And no, I can't say that happens much with solid-color pieces that fill a whole section.

• Like 1

My husband does this thing with the number jumbler where he completes in roughly 5 seconds what would take me 1-2 minutes, minimum.  Like, I haven't even really seen all the numbers yet and he has the answer.  I am not that much worse at math than he is, so I am not sure why he is so much better - he has a faster processor, maybe.

What's a number jumbler?  Please give an example what you mean.  TIA!

Ah! Diffused focus. Yes!

You say that as if that oxymoron makes perfect sense!  I'm so confused!   :confused1:

Edited by RegGuheert

Yes, that happens to me.

I am also freaky fast at word search puzzles. I always attributed that to having been trained in speed reading, wherein your eyes grab "batches" of words/letters rather than scanning line by line, left to right. I've never connected that with puzzle savantness, maybe it's a visual memory thing.

It's a fun little Jedi trick for someone who can't impress others with physical prowess!

• Like 3

yes, I do this with puzzles too.  See a piece, put it in.  DD can do it, DS cannot.  DH cannot.  It infuriates them when we do it.  I'm also + good at word finds / spot the difference, hidden object type things.  Alas, I know of no way to make money from this

• Like 2

What's a number jumbler? Please give an example what you mean. TIA!

You say that as if that oxymoron makes perfect sense! I'm so confused! :confused1:

😄 Well, I actually should have said diffuse mode, not "diffused" focus, but I was referring to a mode of thinking described in Barbara Oakley's fascinating book "A Mind For Numbers". I am reading it now. It's wonderful. So, here's a quote from the book:

Diffuse-mode thinking is what happens when you relax your attention and just let your mind wander...Diffuse-mode insights often flow from preliminary thinking that's been done in the focused mode."

p.12.
  • Like 1

yes, I do this with puzzles too. See a piece, put it in. DD can do it, DS cannot. DH cannot. It infuriates them when we do it. I'm also + good at word finds / spot the difference, hidden object type things. Alas, I know of no way to make money from this

It's interesting; I never really thought about the relationship of those different kind of puzzles, but I enjoy all of those types of things. I guess I have good visual descrimination (in pictures, but not with people's faces. In that arena, I have some sort of defect!) I love word searches. I always loved when we would get to do them for school.

My dd12 has a large puzzle set up right now. She's *almost annoying with this. I'm over her struggling to put ANY pieces in and she's looking at the box picking up random pieces and saying "I know where this goes"...

(Fwiw, I'm this way too if it's a puzzle I've been staying at for awhile. Maybe it just comes with familiarity?)

• Like 1

I have noticed it, yes. If I do a puzzle long enough I get very attuned to the fine variations in color and shape and eventually I get in the zone and things start to click. I do find it very rewarding. My mom does too. She's more into puzzles than I am, but I've been doing a lot this summer.

• Like 1

So does this happen to correspond to learning style?

I'm pretty quick with puzzles, word searches, etc. (though maybe not "puzzle savant" level), and I always thought it was because I'm primarily a visual learner. But I also wonder about visual processing, because I stink at the alphabet game on road trips, I think mostly because my brain sees whole words and not individual letters?

Not sure I've figured out my question or observation, just musing ...

• Like 2

It's interesting; I never really thought about the relationship of those different kind of puzzles, but I enjoy all of those types of things. I guess I have good visual descrimination (in pictures, but not with people's faces. In that arena, I have some sort of defect!) I love word searches. I always loved when we would get to do them for school.

hey me too  (faces).  I'm terrible at that.

So does this happen to correspond to learning style?

I'm pretty quick with puzzles, word searches, etc. (though maybe not "puzzle savant" level), and I always thought it was because I'm primarily a visual learner. But I also wonder about visual processing, because I stink at the alphabet game on road trips, I think mostly because my brain sees whole words and not individual letters?

Not sure I've figured out my question or observation, just musing ...

I am very much not a visual learner.  I'm almost the complete opposite of a visual  learner.  I also rock alphabet type games, lol!

• Like 1

Yeah, but the part that I find wild is when I am *not* looking for that piece. I'm looking for, say, something that goes in the pink flower pot on the lower right, but a yellow piece with a speck of grey turns up and I pull it out, knowing it is exactly the piece that goes to the window up in the left corner.

And no, I can't say that happens much with solid-color pieces that fill a whole section.

Pattern recognition and looking for more than one part of a pattern or picture at a time.

• Like 1

Yes.  

And as a matter of fact, my friend and I were just laughing last night about how our sons can look into the lego pit, aka, lego tupperware box containing approximately 5 million pieces, and just pluck out the desired obscure little bit they need.... but they can't open the pantry and find a can of tomatoes EVEN WHEN IT'S IN PLAIN SIGHT!  

• Like 5

Oh, and I'm not sure how visual the skill is actually.  I love puzzles but have very poor eyesight (nearing legal blindness even with correction).  I do jigsaws with my nose about 4 inches from the table.  I'm convinced that I'm placing pieces by their shape rather than the image most of the time.  I think jigsaws are actually a mix of so many different skills- visual yes, but also spatial, tactile...  

• Like 2

And as a matter of fact, my friend and I were just laughing last night about how our sons can look into the lego pit, aka, lego tupperware box containing approximately 5 million pieces, and just pluck out the desired obscure little bit they need.... but they can't open the pantry and find a can of tomatoes EVEN WHEN IT'S IN PLAIN SIGHT!  

This is how tool boxes are with me.  No matter which tool I am looking for in the box, it is the one I cannot see.

So, how about Boggle?  Do those of you who excel at word search puzzles also dominate in Boggle (particularly Big Boggle, with five cubes on a side)?  I tend to dominate in my family and I have always been a fan of word search puzzles.  That said, my niece puts me to shame in Big Boggle, so there is another level of play above mine.

One thing I find peculiar about Boggle is that people tend to find different words depending on which side of the cube they happen to be on.

• Like 1

I have that more with word and number puzzles than pictures, though not as great as dh.  I can also just glance at text, and typos jump out screaming at me.  I can tell you one career that it is a boon in: computer programming.  Being able to look over someone's shoulder and instantly see a bug is a great help teaching programming.  I do have to step back a bit to find bugs in my own, maybe a form of diffuse focus?

(As far as I'm concerned programming is just an advanced form of logic puzzle!)

• Like 1

I have noticed it, yes. If I do a puzzle long enough I get very attuned to the fine variations in color and shape and eventually I get in the zone and things start to click. I do find it very rewarding. My mom does too. She's more into puzzles than I am, but I've been doing a lot this summer.

Yes, that's a good description for me, too. Even if there are three areas that all have one dominant color, I start to notice that they are not exactly the same shade of green or whatever and I can tell that *this* green is part of the car, but *this* green is part of the sign, even though at first they look like the same color.

I have a funny story about puzzles and my mom. I gave her a puzzle to do; I think it was 1,500 pieces. She assembled it, and then a while later, gave it back to me so I could try it also. As she was handing it back to me, she said, "I separated out all the border pieces into a ziplock bag." I am looking at her blankly. She says, "Well, I thought it would be nice because finding the edges is a pain." I'm thinking, "Mom. If searching for a particular piece shape is a pain, why would I do a puzzle at all?" 😄 Moms are weird.

• Like 1

I can, because apparently Moms are graced with the unique ability to see something and know where it goes. It's akin to magic. Unless it's one of those ridiculous puzzles like a school of identical fish, then I'm out and bow to the masters.

Yeah, I have total disdain for those "impossipuzzles." The hell do I want to do with putting together a picture of four hundred red thumbtacks?

• Like 3

This is how tool boxes are with me. No matter which tool I am looking for in the box, it is the one I cannot see.

So, how about Boggle? Do those of you who excel at word search puzzles also dominate in Boggle (particularly Big Boggle, with five cubes on a side)? I tend to dominate in my family and I have always been a fan of word search puzzles. That said, my niece puts me to shame in Big Boggle, so there is another level of play above mine.

One thing I find peculiar about Boggle is that people tend to find different words depending on which side of the cube they happen to be on.

I have never played Boggle. I am good at Bananagrams, though.

• Like 1

Yes, that's a good description for me, too. Even if there are three areas that all have one dominant color, I start to notice that they are not exactly the same shade of green or whatever and I can tell that *this* green is part of the car, but *this* green is part of the sign, even though at first they look like the same color.

I have a funny story about puzzles and my mom. I gave her a puzzle to do; I think it was 1,500 pieces. She assembled it, and then a while later, gave it back to me so I could try it also. As she was handing it back to me, she said, "I separated out all the border pieces into a ziplock bag." I am looking at her blankly. She says, "Well, I thought it would be nice because finding the edges is a pain." I'm thinking, "Mom. If searching for a particular piece shape is a pain, why would I do a puzzle at all?" 😄 Moms are weird.

Our neighbors, an elderly couple, enjoy doing jigsaws together.  And they also save the edge pieces in a bag to make it easier the next time around!  For really large puzzles, they also save each quadrant into a bag for next time.  It also causes me to scratch my head because... isn't the whole point of puzzles the challenge of sorting?

• Like 2

Our neighbors, an elderly couple, enjoy doing jigsaws together. And they also save the edge pieces in a bag to make it easier the next time around! For really large puzzles, they also save each quadrant into a bag for next time. It also causes me to scratch my head because... isn't the whole point of puzzles the challenge of sorting?

Yes! Exactly! It became a meme in my head, "I put the puzzle together and glued it solved, so you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of putting it together again." 😆

• Like 1

My brother used to do jig saw puzzles upsidedown... you know, with the brown backside up.

I remember soending my own money on a 1000 or so piece puzzle, a challenging one. I did a bunch and went to bed. He finished it while I was asleep.... Oh I was SO MAD. He thought it was just helping me. Argh!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My brother used to do jig saw puzzles upsidedown... you know, with the brown backside up.

I remember soending my own money on a 1000 or so piece puzzle, a challenging one. I did a bunch and went to bed. He finished it while I was asleep.... Oh I was SO MAD. He thought it was just helping me. Argh!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ha! That's funny, because I just left my puzzle; it is about 85% completed. I was thinking, "If one of these kids comes in here and finishes the puzzle while I'm upstairs reading, I'm going to be so mad..." I want the payoff!

Ha! That's funny, because I just left my puzzle; it is about 85% completed. I was thinking, "If one of these kids comes in here and finishes the puzzle while I'm upstairs reading, I'm going to be so mad..." I want the payoff!

We used to always try to be the one to put in the last piece of the puzzle. About a year ago, I had to go to work with my puzzle, one I'd been working on mostly by myself for a couple weeks, nearly solved, and my boys finished it for me just to be stinkers. I was a little miffed. Then they did it to the next puzzle too! Augh!

But they laughed at themselves and at me so much that it made ME laugh, and it has turned into a thing....now I deliberately leave my puzzles unfinished so they can get my goat by finishing them. Silly little game, and by now they've cottoned on, but it's still fun. Rotten kids.

• Like 2

We used to always try to be the one to put in the last piece of the puzzle. About a year ago, I had to go to work with my puzzle, one I'd been working on mostly by myself for a couple weeks, nearly solved, and my boys finished it for me just to be stinkers. I was a little miffed. Then they did it to the next puzzle too! Augh!

But they laughed at themselves and at me so much that it made ME laugh, and it has turned into a thing....now I deliberately leave my puzzles unfinished so they can get my goat by finishing them. Silly little game, and by now they've cottoned on, but it's still fun. Rotten kids.

Well, at least it's good for their brains!

My kids all know they would be in BIG trouble if they put in the last piece!

• Like 1