Menu

Lasagna recipe

Night Elf

I use the regular lasagna noodles uncooked. It make sure to use lots of sauce. Usually I prep it the night before so the noodles have some time to absorb the sauce. Some recipes tell you to add water before baking, It I don't. It always works out.

My wife said that she has never used Noodles in a Lasagna, so she has no knowledge of that. She has her doubts. She says maybe if the things around the Noodles are Moist/Wet that they will cook properly.  She strongly suggests that you try this first, is a small mold (is that the cord for the container?) before making a huge batch.  She made Lasagna recently and a couple of days later my Stepson requested Lasagna again, so she will make it for his birthday. Lasagna and Pizza are probably the most expensive dishes she cooks.  We do buy the Lasagna thing from the same company that makes the  Spaghetti we buy  My wife says that if you try this with a small portion and it's OK, then go for your huge portion and have confidence that it will also be OK.   Enjoy!

Any recipe will do, any dry lasagna noodle will do.  Just make it per usual and either make the sauce more runny than normal or add a few ladles of water around the edges so the edges of the noodles are wet when you're done assembling it.  It might take 20 minutes longer than usual to cook, but probably not.  I do this all the time with Pioneer Woman's lasagna recipe in the winter.  It turns out better like this:  the lasagna noodles absorb the water and the whole thing is more firm and holds its shape better than when you pre-cook them.

I have been doing this for years, using dry noodles.    I buy the special "no need to boil" noodles you can find in the pasta aisle.    I don't know if they are just labelled differently or a different product than regular noodles.   To make no boil lasagna you have to use more sauce, and bake it longer.   But, it is so much easier!

My (meatless) recipe is:

ricotta mixture (2 c ricotta/ 1/2 c parm/ 1 egg/ italian blend spices)

48 oz of sauce

16 lasagna noodles

shredded mozz/parm for the top

In a 13x9 ish pan, layer sauce,noodles, ricotta (probably 3 layers of this?) and sprinkle with mozz on the very top.  Bake at 350, for 40 minutes covered, then 15 uncovered, then let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.

This is one of those things that I have to eyeball and adjust the amount of sauce and noodles, depending on how big the noodles seem.

Also, it's very easy to put together earlier in the day and leave covered in the fridge until you are ready to bake it.

Edited by Zebra

Possibly what is being called Noodles in this thread we call something else. I will look on a box of the Lasagna things we buy next to the Spaghetti when I go to the supermarket. We don't consider that to be Noodles but possibly it's the same thing

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Possibly what is being called Noodles in this thread we call something else. I will look on a box of the Lasagna things we buy next to the Spaghetti when I go to the supermarket. We don't consider that to be Noodles but possibly it's the same thing

The box I bought just says oven ready lasagna. I'm talking about the long flat rectangle pasta pieces. To me, those are noodles. What other pasta is used in lasagna?

• Like 3

Ok, it's the oven. As I was constructing it, I realized I didn't know how to lay the noodles down. Single file? Overlapping? I did a mixture and still didn't use all the noodles in the boxes. I have no idea how this is going to turn out. I told DH if it isn't good, we're ordering pizza!!

• Like 1

I never par boil my noodles, and I use regular lasagna noodles. The oven ready ones have a funny texture to me. You just need to make sure you add extra sauce and water to cook the noodles.

:iagree:

Same here, except I use extra sauce and don't add any water -- unless the sauce is very thick; then I thin it down with some water before I add it to the lasagna. :)

• Like 1

In the US, the word "noodles" may be used interchangeably for the generic word "pasta" -- so we've got lasagna-shaped noodles, macaroni-shaped noodles, spaghetti-shaped noodles, etc. You can call any shape of pasta "noodles". :) It's rather casual/inaccurate, but if you're looking at a big pot or plate of any shape of pasta, you can call it "pasta" or "noodles" or "spaghetti". Spaghetti would be most specific, pasta would be the more proper/formal general term, noodles would be a very casual general term. 

Some people even use "macaroni" as a generic word for "pasta", too, but that's less common!

Your English is so excellent that it's easy for us to forget you don't live in the US. :) 

SUCCESS! It turned out better than I expected. I added extra sauce and the noodles were cooked well. I probably shouldn't have made a 13 x 9 pan though. We ate about a fourth of it. I'm freezing half of it to have again another time. 

• Like 3

In the US, the word "noodles" may be used interchangeably for the generic word "pasta" -- so we've got lasagna-shaped noodles, macaroni-shaped noodles, spaghetti-shaped noodles, etc. You can call any shape of pasta "noodles". :) It's rather casual/inaccurate, but if you're looking at a big pot or plate of any shape of pasta, you can call it "pasta" or "noodles" or "spaghetti".

No. No. No. This is blasphemy!  :tongue_smilie:

Lasagne comes in sheets. These sheets of pasta are not "noodles." 

You only get "noodles" when sheets of pasta are cut into ribbons. Uncut sheets of pasta don't count as "noodles."

Not in my America. I protest. 

Bill :patriot:

As long as the noodles are hot and wet, they'll cook. They can't NOT cook. Lasagna takes so friggin long to bake that precook ing the noodles is a pointless step. Just use plenty of sauce. I like to cover my pan with foil until the last 15 minutes of cooking, then I remove the foil and add the top layer of cheese.

If you REALLY want to be lazy, just make 'lasagna' with ravioli noodles. You don't even have to thaw them first.