Menu

Hardwood floors in bedrooms?

Would hardwood floors be awful in bedrooms? The reasons we are considering this are because of allergy issues and ease of cleaning - if the bedrooms were hardwood, then the entire main level (including living room and dining room) would be hardwoods, and we wouldn't have to lug a vacuum around to different floors in the house. I know it wouldn't be as cozy, but I would be willing to invest in fluffy slippers for everyone.

What do you think? Any issues we should consider?

We moved into a house with hardwoods in our room. Thoughts:

(1) you are right about ease of cleaning

(2) you are right: it is not cozy

(3) if it were to include kids' rooms, you would definitely need a rug--kids can't really play on wood floors

(4) after a year of living here, my ankles hurt A LOT. I wear shoes in the house now.

(5) I think it looks very nice if you like crisp, modern lines

We have hardwood throughout, even in bedrooms. Looks very nice and is easy to clean. The kids have big rugs in their rooms. At first I just had several little rugs, but then splurged for a nice big one for the boys, since they're down on hands & knees playing with action figures & such. My room has no rug except for right beside the bed. We all wear slippers inside because it does get a bit chilly on the toes in the cold mornings. We have a plethora of animals and I can't imagine what would be left behind in wall to wall carpeting. It also makes it much easier to rearrange the furniture, which I do frequently.

We put wood flooring in my son's bedroom because he has allergies, and it has really helped reduce his allergy symptoms and the amount of meds he takes. (We also wash his sheets in hot water weekly, dust, and don't have area rugs or drapes in the room). The boys actually enjoy playing certain games on the wood floor that work better on a hard surface. (We have carpet in the playroom) Putting an area rug in the room kind of defeats the purpose if you're trying to cut down on dust mites.

Fluffy slippers sound nice and cozy! :001_smile:

Another family that has hardwood in every room save the kitchen and bath (which are tiled) and love it!

California is warm, so I can't talk about cold climates, but here we find wood very cozy and so much better than carpet.

Bill

Same here except we live in WA state where it can get chilly and of course damp. I wear slippers or socks if I am not wearing shoes- and I probably would if I had carpet. I love the hard surfaces-and can't stand carpet, so I am biased. Adding an area rug can add the warmth you are looking for and you can easily change the look of your room with rugs.

Same here except we live in WA state where it can get chilly and of course damp. I wear slippers or socks if I am not wearing shoes- and I probably would if I had carpet. I love the hard surfaces-and can't stand carpet, so I am biased. Adding an area rug can add the warmth you are looking for and you can easily change the look of your room with rugs.

Do people in cold climates ever use radiant heat under wood floors?

I stayed on a ranch once in Big Sur that had a wing where the floors were concrete, but it had pipes that ran hot water embedded in the floor, and it was so cozy (and I believe this part of the house was built in the 30s).

But I'm not sure if folks can do the same with wood floors?

(5) I think it looks very nice if you like crisp, modern lines

HA! I wonder if that's what the builders of our house had in mind... in the 1860s. :D

We have wide plank heart pine throughout (painted upstairs, as appears to be traditional, and cork in the kitchen) and it's delightful. The house where I grew up, in Maine, was only slightly younger, had the same wide-plank flooring and was not particularly cold in winter. It also had a full cellar and enormous furnace down there, so probably kept the main level floors relatively warm that way, though.

I suspect that new wood flooring would be warmer than old, simply because it has an underlay, is applied over a sub-floor and is tighter, as opposed to ours being applied directly to the joists. The cork in our kitchen certainly is, but I'm not sure how much of that is the just nature of cork. Area rugs add visual warmth, just like any textile, in the "softer" areas of the house, and are somewhat easier to rid of dust and mites than installed carpet, since they don't have padding and can be removed for professional cleaning periodically.

eta: Yes, Spy Car, radiant heat tubing can be installed under hardwood. I remember them doing in on This Old House in the 1980s.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

All our floors are wood, including the bedrooms. It's fine--I would have to say I even prefer it. I have a small throw rug next to my bed, and my kids each have a small cotton area rug that I can easily throw in the washer.

My ds actually pushes his rug out of the way so that he can play on the wood floor.

I say go for it! :-D

All of the "original" house has hardwoods (except kitchen/bathroom), including our bedroom. I love it. I really want to replace the berber carpet in the kids' rooms (finished attic) with hardwood too, but haven't managed it yet. My parents' house is hardwood in all the bedrooms, and it's not a problem at all.

If you're worried about coziness, you can do an area rug or two in the bedrooms. From an allergy perspective, they're not as good as having hardwoods only, but they can be cleaned *much* more thoroughly than carpets and collect far less dust.

And we've lived in a few places that haven't had carpeted bedrooms.

Rugs are a must for anywhere that the kids (or adults) tend to sit on the floor. Also, rugs or something around the beds if you have anyone that tends to fall out of bed while asleep.

It was much easier to clean the floors without carpets, and the reason we had hardwood floors where I grew up was because of allergy issues. But once we moved into a house which is pretty much carpeted throughout, I didn't notice any increase in my allergy problems.

One of the things I really dislike about non-carpeted floors is the tendency for stuff that's dropped to break. Glasses are an obvious one, but my husband has broken more than one pager (back in the day when pagers were what cell phones are now) and at least one cell phone when he's dropped them on hardwood or ceramic floors.

I'm also one of those people who gets cold easily (and my slippers just wore out from tons of use), so to me that's another vote for carpet.

On the other hand, I think hardwood floors are so much more beautiful.

I think if I had my choice, I'd have carpet in the bedrooms and maybe in the living room and/or family room and hardwood everywhere else.

In the end, though, it's a personal choice. There are pros and cons on both sides... You have to decide for yourself which is better.

Sue

I would love to have wood floors in the bedrooms for the same reasons you mentioned. I think it would reduce allergens, make cleaning easier, and I just like the look better as well. But dh doesn't want wood in the bedrooms because he doesn't think they feel comfy or cozy in bedrooms. he lived in a house once while growing up that had wood floors in the bedrooms, and he didn't like it.

Do people in cold climates ever use radiant heat under wood floors?

I stayed on a ranch once in Big Sur that had a wing where the floors were concrete, but it had pipes that ran hot water embedded in the floor, and it was so cozy (and I believe this part of the house was built in the 30s).

But I'm not sure if folks can do the same with wood floors?

We have it under our tile floors in the master bathroom, but not under the wood- although I do think that would be nice and cozy. I will have to ask my dh if that is common with wood floors. I'll get back to you:).

We have 7 people in our house and one of them is in a wheelchair so I LOVE our wood floors throughout! On rainy days stuff tracks in BUT I can clean them! I wouldn't ever want carpet again - the wheelchair made me stress over the cleanliness of the carpet way too much. Door mats at each entrance really help to cut down on the stuff tracked in (a tip from Don Aslett). We do have an area rug in the den, school room and small ones in the bedroom but I clean them regularly.