Menu

Is this a new fashion trend?

Artichoke

Dd is dual enrolled for the summer, and I've been driving her this past week.  It's about forty minutes from our house so I just hang around campus and wait for her.   It's been interesting to people watch.  Now here's the clothing that has me puzzled: 

Girls of all sizes are wearing shorts that have their "cheeks" hanging out.  I'm not talking short shorts or Daisy Dukes where the "cheek" is peeking out.  These are more of a V cut with lots of hanging involved.    It's almost like a thong with extra material.    Anyone else seeing this where they live? 

Do they look like a swimsuit bottom, but they're being worn as street clothes?

No.   All the ones I've seen are jean shorts.  If I had to guess, I'd say they cover less than an average swimsuit bottom.     I've seen them with long tanks and with regular shirts.  It's really different than anything I've seen before. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 1

Like these. Basically a denim thong.

No.   All the ones I've seen are jean shorts.  If I had to guess, I'd say they cover less than an average swimsuit bottom.     I've seen them with long tanks and with regular shorts.  It's really different than anything I've seen before.

Oh my! Nope, I've never seen that. Well then. Okay.

• Like 5

Dd is dual enrolled for the summer, and I've been driving her this past week.  It's about forty minutes from our house so I just hang around campus and wait for her.   It's been interesting to people watch.  Now here's the clothing that has me puzzled: 

Girls of all sizes are wearing shorts that have their "cheeks" hanging out.  I'm not talking short shorts or Daisy Dukes where the "cheek" is peeking out.  These are more of a V cut with lots of hanging involved.    It's almost like a thong with extra material.    Anyone else seeing this where they live? 

Girls of all sizes? Huh, I would not have guessed that. Good for them? Also ew.

• Like 2

Girls of all sizes? Huh, I would not have guessed that. Good for them? Also ew.

I included "girls of all sizes"  just to illustrate that the observations ran the gamut.  No slight was intended.  

ETA:  That sounded defense.  Sorry.  

Edited by Artichoke

Wow. No. I'm struggling with just regular shorts looking like cheekies. These are absurd.

I have seen gym shorts with this cut. It looks like the poor girl lost half her pants.

Edit: I've seen them online and in magazines, not in real life. But the ones I've seen were more generous than these.

Edited by Desert Strawberry
  • Like 3

Like these. Basically a denim thong.

Good gravy.

Those reviews, though! There is even a man-looking body wearing the red pair with high heels. Not really my cuppa, I gotta say. For me or for my guy.

• Like 3

I wish I could un-see that.

But at least there wasn't a model.

There is, though. Look at the reviews. People have posted their own fishing-for-compliment reviews on there. Plus, one masculine-looking body in them. Interesting.

• Like 2

Eww. :ack2: 

All wearers should be required to carry a towel around with them in case they need to sit down. 

And the reviews! For example:

"These shorts are soo tight , it hurts my lady parts really bad . I am a size 0 and I ordered a small . But everyone likes them . Beauty hurts"

:ohmy:

• Like 10

Eww. :ack2:

All wearers should be required to carry a towel around with them in case they need to sit down. 

And the reviews! For example:

"These shorts are soo tight , it hurts my lady parts really bad . I am a size 0 and I ordered a small . But everyone likes them . Beauty hurts"

:ohmy:

At Phantom in LA a woman was wearing a dress so short you could see almost half her butt. They have cloth seats in the theater.  So gross. 

Are the customer images accurate to

what you're seeing on campus? Like that teensy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, thanks to Quill I looked more closely through the different styles that Crimson linked to!  Um, not sure if that was a good thing or not!

I'd say the ones I've seen on campus are comparable to the thong styles on Amazon that are covering more.   The more severe thongs are probably not what I'm seeing.   There are however cheeks  hanging not peeking  out.    

• Like 1

I included "girls of all sizes" just to illustrate that the observations ran the gamut. No slight was intended.

ETA: That sounded defense. Sorry.

Whoops I didn't mean to inspire defensiveness . It was useful info. And I was surprised but not displeased to hear it's a not something only worn by one demographic... kids these days are more body proud than they used to be , and that's a good thing.

To be clear my 'ew' was for anyone wearing it, because : ew. Skinny women , lithe women , 'average' women , curvy women, zaftig women, tall women, short women , strutting women , shy women would all look the same in those to me. Like a guy in a butt ugly romper.

• Like 5

To be clear my 'ew' was for anyone wearing it, because : ew. Skinny women , lithe women , 'average' women , curvy women, zaftig women, tall women, short women , strutting women , shy women would all look the same in those to me. Like a guy in a butt ugly romper.

ROFL.  I'd much rather see guys in rompers.  They are fully covered and hygienic at least.  :lol:

• Like 13

Wow.  I'm thinking you're  in CA, but bikini tops!?!   

Bikini tops with Daisy Dukes are common enough here that I doubt I'd even notice them. These "cheeky" shorts are a recent fad and over-the-top IMHO. I was in a sorority in college and wore some pretty skimpy outfits (I was far less religious back then), but not to class. The whole concept of dressing appropriate for the situation some people seem to have difficulty grasping...

• Like 3

Bikini tops with Daisy Dukes are common enough here that I doubt I'd even notice them. These "cheeky" shorts are a recent fad and over-the-top IMHO. I was in a sorority in college and wore some pretty skimpy outfits (I was far less religious back then), but not to class. The whole concept of dressing appropriate for the situation some people seem to have difficulty grasping...

Interesting. I'm in the Southeast and rarely see the bikini tops with Daisy Dukes.  Actually we rarely see bikini tops at all unless it's near a waterpark or pool.  I'm hoping these "cheeky" shorts don't hit the mainstream here. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 1

I, too, waited for ds17 when he took a class, and a noticeable amount of cheeks showing was a thing with a handful of female students.

I was just incredulous.