Menu

Potato dish?

Night Elf

You want a new way, so I assume you're done with baked/mashed/scalloped/potato salad. 

Try roasted: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/garlic-roasted-potatoes-recipe-1913067

Try mashed, but shift it up by throwing in a couple of carrots and a sweet potato.

Instead of baked, try hasselback: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/hasselback-potatoes-3190731

• Like 1

To serve with roast beef?

Mash the potatoes, but add chopped spinach, parsley, and scallions.

Mash the potatoes, but add sour cream, garlic, and a smidge of horseradish to taste.

Mash with parsnips, as suggested, and a wax turnip (I break out the food processor for this), top with caramelized onions.

Mash with parsnips and carrots, add a little nutmeg.

Mmm. I do love mashed potatoes. Lucky for me, the girls don't.

• Like 1

Yes, I only mash and bake. When we want something different we cheat and used a box scalloped potatoes. I just prefer to try something new I can do from scratch. I usually just buy regular potatoes. I'm not even sure what variety they are really. The ones in a big bin in the produce department. I'm open to trying a different variety.

Well, if you want something simple that you can do from scratch, you can't go wrong with potato salad. This is my mother's recipe, and very simple:

Boil your potatoes (you may prefer to peel them first). Cut them into fork-sized chunks. They don't all have to be the same size. Put them in a bowl, add mayo, zesty Italian dressing (the oil type, not the cream type), salt, pepper, and chopped scallions. Start with just a small amount of the mayo and dressing, add more until you have a texture you like. You might add paprika as well, and/or chopped hard boiled eggs. Chill in the fridge for an hour before serving.

I don't know about favorite, but I tried these scalloped potatoes last week and they were fantastically easy and DH and I loved them. Most of the kids are weird and don't like potatoes. It has directions somewhere in the comments if you don't have an instant pot. 

http://joaniesimon.com/instant-pot-scalloped-potatoes/

ETA: I'd cut back on the thyme.

Edited by Paige

I'm addicted to mashed potatoes (probably more accurate to say whipped) so I tend not to branch out all that often.

The Pioneer Woman's crash potatoes are yummy.

Sometimes we slice potatoes thinly, 3/4 of the way through, topped with butter, salt, pepper, and usually garlic. Wrap in foil, grill or stick in the fire.

I have a mandolin for gratin, but I actually prefer butternut squash for that now!

I like roasted baby potatoes, but I always forget about that.

My kids would like twice baked potatoes every night, but that's not happening.  Easy, easy, easy (I don't think I've ever had a recipe.  Bake, scoop, mash, refill, rebake, top with whatever) but too time consuming for me to mess with.

Boil potatoes only partially to soften them up. Put in a greased baking dish with shredded cheese, ranch dressing (from the bottle, not mix), green onions, your choice of spices and crumbled bacon. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. My family loves it.

I have made something similar to this for special occasions (anniversary, NYE, etc.) and it is delicious. I can't find the recipe I use for some reason, but this is close. You can leave out the onions and switch up the cheese (Dubliner or Gruyere are excellent in it). It's similar to au gratin potatoes without the cream. http://www.food.com/recipe/pommes-anna-115381#activity-feed

Greek Potato Salad (uses olive oil, not mayo)

Cut about 2 lbs potatoes into bite sized pieces, boil until fork tender.  Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine 1/2 c. crumpled feta cheese, 1 bunch chopped green onions (white and light green parts only), 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese, and 1/2 c. pitted Kalamata olives.  When potatoes are done, drain and add to bowl.  Drizzle with 1/4 c olive oil and 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar and lightly mix together. 

Can serve hot or cold.

• Like 1

All of them.  That would be my favorite potato dish.

Some family favorites:

Easy Potato Soup:

1 onion, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

1-2 stalk celery, chopped, leaves included

3-6 cloves of garlic

tsp salt

Red pepper flakes, to taste

6-8 potatoes, cubed

Add everything to pot.  Cover with water (or chicken stock) to the top of the potatoes.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add 1/4 milk or non-dairy milk of choice.  Mash soup.  Leave some potato chunks.  Add salt & pepper to taste (it can take a fair amount of salt).  

You can add just about anything to this soup.  Super forgiving.  I've added corn, spinach, tumeric, cayenne pepper, parsley, anything hanging around the vegetable drawer.

Mashed with chicken stock instead of sour cream, with lots of garlic.

Edited by kewb

I like these roast potatoes.

I like to make a salad with small new or waxy potatoes.  I boil them, and while cooking I make a dressing, two parts olive oil to one red wine vinegar, and a good blob of mustard.  Tip the potatoes into the dressing while hot, mix them in, and let them cool to room temp.  Add a few spoon-fulls of miracle whip, just enough to lightly coat.  Chop in some green onion and/or chives, or red onion, and garlic or garlic scapes,  Salt and pepper to taste.  If you serve this much later or the next day you might have to add a bit more miracle whip.

I also like to make mashed but boil some celery root with the potato and mash them together with butter, garlic, a bit of sour cream or horseradish (or both) and salt and pepper.

We love those tiny new potatoes, boiled and buttered. They are so creamy.   I don't peel them, just cut them into bite sized pieces. Bonus: leftovers can be made into fried potatoes or added to leftovers. For lunch today I sautéed a sliced zucchini, half a boneless chicken breast, leftover boiled new potatoes, and a bit of chopped onion and garlic. 

roasted is great, but even faster/easier is to microwave some red potatoes (the smallish ones) until done. Then toss them in a pan that can go in the oven. Smash them a bit, but don't fully mass. Drizzle with melted butter (with minced garlic in it if you like). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes to brown them a bit. 

• Like 1

I like to cube red potatoes (waxier than "regular" potatoes), toss them with olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, then bake till they are very brown and crispy outside but creamy inside.  Probably takes about an hour at 350.  A higher temp will cook them faster, but they'll be brown outside before they get really soft inside.  Regular russet or baking potatoes can be made the same way, and they are good, but something about the texture of the reds is better to me. 

Sometimes I will microwave briefly them to start the cooking, but most of it is done in the oven.  I dislike the texture of potatoes that have been fully cooked in the microwave.  

• Like 1

These Parmesan Crusted Potato Halves (recipe calls them something else, lol) are SO easy and delicious.  Good with or without sour cream and you can add some Morton's All Season (seasoned salt) instead of some of the garlic or season however you like.  New fave at my house.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/crispy-parmesan-baked-potatoes-143372.aspx

• Like 1

I went safe and did roasted potatoes, plain. I didn't know what spice/herb to use. I thought paprika might be good but I didn't have any, though I was positive I did. Good grief. They were still good.

I saw a recipe that used olive oil and minced garlic. You toss the potatoes into the oil and garlic, coat them really well and lay out on a pan. I didn't have any fresh garlic but would the garlic actually stick to the potatoes? I feel it wouldn't.

I saw a recipe that used olive oil and minced garlic. You toss the potatoes into the oil and garlic, coat them really well and lay out on a pan. I didn't have any fresh garlic but would the garlic actually stick to the potatoes? I feel it wouldn't.

Sure it would.  First you got the oil that will old the garlic on, then you got some starch from the cut sides of the potatoes, both of which helps.  I'm really lazy so I just spray the pan with PAM add my chopped potatoes drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle whatever over (using some combo of garlic, onion, thyme, course salt, and black pepper).  I used to put the potatoes in a bag with the oil and spices and mix them but that just turned out to be an unneccessary step in my book.  Just stir often when roasting and you will get they same result.

I went safe and did roasted potatoes, plain. I didn't know what spice/herb to use. I thought paprika might be good but I didn't have any, though I was positive I did. Good grief. They were still good.

Paprika would've been just fine, or salt and pepper, or thyme, or sage, or some cumin. (And you can combine any of these however you like!)

Yes, the garlic would actually stick to the potatoes if you did that. Garlic is very sticky once it's minced.