Menu

Binding machine vs Staples/Kinkos

I have a minimum of 12 individual sets that need to be bound prior to school stating back up in a few months. I'm trying to decide if its worthwhile to purchase a binding machine vs having them bound at Staples or Kinkos.

DH makes the copies (color and/or bw) for me at his office so binding is all I would need done. Can someone give me a rough idea of how much it costs to get, say, 100 pages bound at Staples?

If you have a binding machine, do you find it to be a worthwhile investment? The ones I'm eyeing on amazon are around $60 plus the combs and front/back covers.

Edited by tdbates78

You have 2nd graders?

I would just buy a Proclick.  I love mine.  I have had it for years.  I bind everything with it.  It was totally worth the money($65).  I bought a bunch of spines back then.  I've probably used 100 spines.

I get coupons for Staples for copy shop things.  It would definitely be cheaper for a one time thing.  But, if you buy digital curriculum and plan on homeschooling a while, it would be worth it in the long run to just do yourself.

• Like 2

You have 2nd graders?

I would just buy a Proclick. I love mine. I have had it for years. I bind everything with it. It was totally worth the money($65). I bought a bunch of spines back then. I've probably used 100 spines.

I get coupons for Staples for copy shop things. It would definitely be cheaper for a one time thing. But, if you buy digital curriculum and plan on homeschooling a while, it would be worth it in the long run to just do yourself.

Yep, 2nd graders. I purchase digital curriculum or a hard copy (like WWE) that I tear apart and make copies. I've never heard of the Pro Click. Definitely going to check it out!

Proclick is great. The only caveat is that you can't put more than 110 pages in the largest spine. I split bigger books, so it's never been a problem for me.

If each of your bindings costs $5 at staples, it would be cost effective to get a Proclick. I've heard of some people using a spiral binding with their Proclick, which would allow you to bind more pages at a time.

• Like 2

Proclick is great. The only caveat is that you can't put more than 110 pages in the largest spine. I split bigger books, so it's never been a problem for me.

If each of your bindings costs $5 at staples, it would be cost effective to get a Proclick. I've heard of some people using a spiral binding with their Proclick, which would allow you to bind more pages at a time.

I love my Proclick.  I currently split my bigger documents (think CTC U.S. History Detective), which is fine.  I am going to look into spiral bindings for my Proclick holes.

I love my Proclick.  I love that I can open the spines up anytime I want to add pages, move things around or reuse the spines.

I just finished prepping for next year, and I think I Proclicked about 30 notebooks/booklets/teacher's guides/answer keys/etc.

I do not use front or back covers, because we never "properly" close the notebooks.  Once a page is done, the kiddo just flips that to the back, so the next page is on top and ready to go.  It is so convenient, and means we never waste time having to flip to our place, but if there were covers on the notebooks, they would just be buried in the middle all the time.

I have not bought any of the large, 100 page, Proclick spines.  The two smaller sizes are affordably sold in boxes of 25, so that is what I use.  The medium spines hold 85ish pages, so I just split WWE and the like into two books...I would always rather underload the spines so the pages are loose and easy to flip.

Wendy

• Like 1

I love my Proclick.  I love that I can open the spines up anytime I want to add pages, move things around or reuse the spines.

I just finished prepping for next year, and I think I Proclicked about 30 notebooks/booklets/teacher's guides/answer keys/etc.

I do not use front or back covers, because we never "properly" close the notebooks.  Once a page is done, the kiddo just flips that to the back, so the next page is on top and ready to go.  It is so convenient, and means we never waste time having to flip to our place, but if there were covers on the notebooks, they would just be buried in the middle all the time.

I have not bought any of the large, 100 page, Proclick spines.  The two smaller sizes are affordably sold in boxes of 25, so that is what I use.  The medium spines hold 85ish pages, so I just split WWE and the like into two books...I would always rather underload the spines so the pages are loose and easy to flip.

Wendy

I've never seen that product before. It looks like a spiral bind spend, which I like much better than comb. Do pages get caught up on the "seam"? (It looks as though it would have a seam where it snaps together.) Thanks.

I've never seen that product before. It looks like a spiral bind spend, which I like much better than comb. Do pages get caught up on the "seam"? (It looks as though it would have a seam where it snaps together.) Thanks.

I sometimes start to have problems after I have snapped and unsnapped a spine many times.  They stop clicking as tightly together, and sometimes a couple of the little tabbies break off and then those rings won't close at all.  At that point, yes, the pages start to get stuck at the seam.  The spines, though, are less than 50 cents each, so replacing them every couple years doesn't break the bank.

Wendy

• Like 2

I also like to split the books with smaller spines.  They are easier to handle.

I have been looking into buying coils for finished larger books.  Coils come in really big sizes.  They can't be edited, so I would not likely use them for working binders and books.

I've found it really cheap and easy to get things professionally bound. 

When I looked into this, it seemed like most reasonably priced pro-click machines meant that I'd have to batch-hole anything I wanted to bind. Given that I have RSI, that was not an attractive option.

Emily

• Like 1

I have a GBC plastic-comb binder.  Love it.  I re-use the combs, and have a fairly decent stash of different sizes.  I like that I can cut the combs to make different size booklets or workbooks.  Once you have a binder, you find all kinds of uses for it.

I used to put that kind of thing in three-ring notebooks instead of spiral/comb-bound. That way I could remove a page so the dc could lay the single sheet on a flat surface to write on, then put it back in the notebook. It costs mere pennies at Kinko's to drill for three holes.

• Like 1

Is there an affordable machine to punch the holes in more sheets at a time? Every time I look at Proclicks, I read the reviews that say the P50 can only punch 4-5 sheets at a time and just stick with the office stores. It's always been worth $4 to not have to punch all those sheets of paper!

Is there an affordable machine to punch the holes in more sheets at a time? Every time I look at Proclicks, I read the reviews that say the P50 can only punch 4-5 sheets at a time and just stick with the office stores. It's always been worth $4 to not have to punch all those sheets of paper!

Only punching a few pages at a time is a pain, but for me, I prefer to punch my own holes so they are straight -- LOL.  I also prefer to do it a home instead of packing everything up, driving, leaving it at Kinkos, going back to pick it up, etc.  Or...wait there for awhile. 

• Like 1

I'm another pro-click fan. I also have a comb binding machine, and I far prefer the pro-click.

I used the $65 P50 for many years, but I splurged and got a used P110 off ebay for Christmas.

Sort of OT but what do you like about the P110 compared to the P50?

I've researched the Proclick but this is my one concern as well. I feel like it would take forever at only 5-6 pages at a time, and I have peripheral neuropathy in my hands which means they go tingly and numb with any repeated motion (like typing this!). Staples is about 7 minutes from my house so its not inconvenient. Still trying to figure out what to do.

I have a proclick (sale, gift card) and use it for some things. It doesn't take me that long to drill the holes - only annoying if I didn't get the pages all the way in & mess up the holes!

I still take some of my stuff to Kinkos/OfficeMax type places for binding. It depends on if I want to be able to add to them or if I want them to stay together "forever" (like a student text for Latin). 

If I'm printing it at home, I generally ProClick it. If I'm having it printed for me (lots of pages), then I get the copy shop to bind it for me. So, I do a little of both.

You can punch up to 15 pages at a time with the P110. There was a P110 for sale on EBay for $75 and now it's gone! Fess up, did anyone on this forum snag it?

I don't mind only punching 5 pages at a time. It takes me about 5 minutes to do 100 pages. Compared to the time and effort it would take to go to FedEx/Kinko's, I am happy to punch some holes! Also, does no one else find it oddly soothing to punch holes? They are so neat and precise...

• Like 1

There was a P110 for sale on EBay for $75 and now it's gone! Fess up, did anyone on this forum snag it?

It was me! I saw the post about buying on eBay--had never thought to look there. Saw that $75 deal and grabbed it. Thanks for the tip Kuovonne :)

I've wanted a binding machine for a long time but didn't think I'd have the time and patience to cut just a handful of pages at a time.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

You can punch up to 15 pages at a time with the P110. There was a P110 for sale on EBay for $75 and now it's gone! Fess up, did anyone on this forum snag it?

I don't mind only punching 5 pages at a time. It takes me about 5 minutes to do 100 pages. Compared to the time and effort it would take to go to FedEx/Kinko's, I am happy to punch some holes! Also, does no one else find it oddly soothing to punch holes? They are so neat and precise...

I missed that one but I did order a "used-like new" one on Amazon. Looking forward to doing more than 5 pages at a time.

• Like 1

This:

You can punch up to 15 pages at a time with the P110.

Being able to punch triple the number of pages at a time is the main thing.

Also, the punching mechanism is easier because you lower the handle rather than sliding the punch.

Plus, it has better guides, so my kids can punch their own paper with it and get the holes in the proper spot,

versus when they used the P50.

That's what I did for several years. I do miss the round holes and the satisfying click of the P50.

My P110 has rectangular holes. But I love my P110.

There was a P110 for sale on EBay for $75 and now it's gone! Fess up, did anyone on this forum snag it?

It was me! I saw the post about buying on eBay--had never thought to look there. Saw that $75 deal and grabbed it. Thanks for the tip Kuovonne :)

You are welcome! $75 is an amazing deal.

• Like 2

I've wanted a binding machine for a long time but didn't think I'd have the time and patience to cut just a handful of pages at a time.

Fantastic! I was going to post the link but I got distracted by bathtime for the kids. I'm happy it went to a boardie!

• Like 2

I used to put that kind of thing in three-ring notebooks instead of spiral/comb-bound. That way I could remove a page so the dc could lay the single sheet on a flat surface to write on, then put it back in the notebook. It costs mere pennies at Kinko's to drill for three holes.

I have a three hole punch that can take multiple sheets of paper (I forget how many but it looks like this:

https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0446266_sc7?splssku$ )

and then I put them in the three-hole-punched report covers that look sort of like this:

https://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/m003032069_sc7?splssku$

that cost under fifty cents at my local supermarket and as low as eighteen cents when the chain office supply stores have their back-to-school sales.

It's not as elegant as comb binding, but it serves the same function Ellie's method does and costs even less.

HTH

• Like 2

I have a three hole punch that can take multiple sheets of paper (I forget how many but it looks like this:

and then I put them in the three-hole-punched report covers that look sort of like this:

that cost under fifty cents at my local supermarket and as low as eighteen cents when the chain office supply stores have their back-to-school sales.

It's not as elegant as comb binding, but it serves the same function Ellie's method does and costs even less.

HTH

I've used this hole punch, and can do 15-20 pages at a time. I bought it for $20.

• Like 1

I'm also a proclick fan.  The small amount of paper it can punch at once is a pain, but it really doesn't take that long to punch.  Really just a few minutes per book I'm making.  I used to use a comb binding, but I didn't like those.  My kids could easily play with the combs, pulling at them and destroying them, they aren't easily added to and they tended to come undone if used a lot.  I also have used binders in the past, but they take up so much space on the bookcase and it made it more difficult when trying to take multiple subjects places.  So proclick it is for me too.

A bit off topic, but a comment for those that use three ring binders with material they print themselves.  You can buy reams of paper with the three holes already punched from most manufacturers.  I always printed hand-outs for my students on these in the desperate hope that it would encourage them to use binders ;-)  

ETA: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/495200/Office-Depot-Brand-Copy-Print-Paper/

Edited by Joules
  • Like 3

HTH

That's what I do too. Or use a binder. And I got the folders in bulk on amazon one summer for excitingly-cheap.

A bit off topic, but a comment for those that use three ring binders with material they print themselves.  You can buy reams of paper with the three holes already punched from most manufacturers.  I always printed hand-outs for my students on these in the desperate hope that it would encourage them to use binders ;-)  

ETA: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/495200/Office-Depot-Brand-Copy-Print-Paper/

When I discovered that I could buy paper that was already three-hole-punched, I might have been a little too excited, lol. Even my favorite paper, Hammermill, comes in white *and colors* already three-hole-punched. Awesome. :D

The trick, of course, is figuring out which way to feed your paper so that the holes are on the side they're supposed to be on...

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm going to give the Proclick a try. We do use binders, and I have a 3-hole punch, but the binders are bulky and my girls think the rings get in the way so we are always pulling sheets out and putting them back in. Off to amazon to purchase my Proclick :)

• Like 2

When I discovered that I could buy paper that was already three-hole-punched, I might have been a little too excited, lol. Even my favorite paper, Hammermill, comes in white *and colors* already three-hole-punched. Awesome. :D

The trick, of course, is figuring out which way to feed your paper so that the holes are on the side they're supposed to be on...

i was going to mention that, but I figured I was probably the only one with that disability.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for responding. I'm going to give the Proclick a try. We do use binders, and I have a 3-hole punch, but the binders are bulky and my girls think the rings get in the way so we are always pulling sheets out and putting them back in. Off to amazon to purchase my Proclick :)

Hope you enjoy!  I started Proclicking our summer swim team meet sheets each week (my DH loves this) and I used it to hold all our vacation plans last fall (to Disney and Universal).  You can do a lot with it.  It is nice you can make smaller notepads too (bound at the top).  I also have a lefty and he likes his stuff bound on the right side of the paper.

Every year I debate about buying one of those things, and every year I decide against it.  Usually I have Staples bind 2-3 items a year, and the rest I three hole punch and put in 3-prong folders, which serves the same purpose.  It would be nice to have a Proclick though...does anyone know if there are typically good sales on them when the back-to-school sales start?

• Like 1

i was going to mention that, but I figured I was probably the only one with that disability.

Oh, no, not just you. :-) Some printers/copiers print on the side that is down in the paper drawer, so you have to put the paper in with the holes on the left side. Sometimes a copier will print differently if you hand-feed the originals than if you lay the original on the glass. Sometimes it's different if you're printing both sides. o_0

OTOH, maybe companies have figured out how to design their printers so that the side that's up is always the side that prints. :001_tt2:

• Like 2

Every year I debate about buying one of those things, and every year I decide against it.  Usually I have Staples bind 2-3 items a year, and the rest I three hole punch and put in 3-prong folders, which serves the same purpose.  It would be nice to have a Proclick though...does anyone know if there are typically good sales on them when the back-to-school sales start?

I am upgrading this year. If you want I will sell you my P50 for cheap. 

Oh, no, not just you. :-) Some printers/copiers print on the side that is down in the paper drawer, so you have to put the paper in with the holes on the left side. Sometimes a copier will print differently if you hand-feed the originals than if you lay the original on the glass. Sometimes it's different if you're printing both sides. o_0

OTOH, maybe companies have figured out how to design their printers so that the side that's up is always the side that prints. :001_tt2:

Mine needs to lay in one way if it is single sided, the other for duplex! It is maddening. Also the printer is in the basement and the computer is upstairs. LOTS of exercise printing test sheets and reloading paper, only to realize I need the next item printed differently. :-p I think I need a proclick just to save me some stairs.

Thanks for all of the responses!

In case anyone needs to know, our Staples charges $3.99 per book regardless of the page number. Not a bad price, IMO, but considering I have so many (I just purchased The Good & The Beautiful so I have even more to bind!) I decided to get my own. I was searching around and end up finding a binding machine (with a 12-page hole punch and 450 page capacity), with 200 spines, for $35.99 with free shipping on ebay. I'm not sure it's branded, but the seller gets good reviews and I didn't see any complains. And given how pro-buyer Ebay is I feel comfortable giving it a try. Here it is in case anyone is interested

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252933949845?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BTW you can open up and reuse plastic combs on binding machines as well. You just put the book back on the machine and reopen the combs. I have lots of experience with binding machines and would do this often. 

It's scheduled to come Tuesday and I'm excited to try it out! 

• Like 2