Menu

A church just dropped about 20 teens in my neighborhood

Moxie

Scarlett, I believe in your sincerity. I do. But here is a list of the sincere folks' houses of worship within 20 minutes of my house.

a mosque

African Methodist Episcopal

Assemblies of God

at least two synagogues

Baptist (various kinds)

Christian Scientists

Church of the Nazarene

Episcopal

Freethought Society

Hindu temple

Lutheran

Non-Denominational (various)

Presbyterian

Roman Catholic

Unitarian Universalist

United Church of Christ

United Methodist

Do I have time for all these people? No, I do not. I belong to one on the list, and DH belongs to a different one. The other fifteen (and any others I don't know of) can be assured that we'll find them if we need them.

These people all knock on your door?

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also understand that if your group is a door to door group you are not likely the only one.

Here just in my rural, low population county, JW, LDS, four different Baptist denominations, two pentecostal churches, and one apostolic church that all do door door proselytizing on a regular basis and not a one of them take NO for your final answer. My mother in law actually had to call the police to get the one soul winning group to leave her alone.

Add to that the band, the choir, the boy scouts, the football team, the....all selling door to door multiple times per year? It means this is a several times per week offense. Since I can't see the front door from the window nor hear people approaching, I now leave a "Do not Disturb" sign on the door in the morning. If people do not respect it, I do not answer though given that the dog barks and somehow this always happens when ds is in the middle of an exam, the better solution would be for people to not drop by without clearance in advance. When Fed Ex is going to come by, the sign comes off the door until the package is delivered.

I wish their was an ordinance against soliciting and proselytizing door to door.

Mailing something is not offensive to me. I will treat it as junk mail.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 7

I guess I don't understand why this would be obnoxious. Jehovah Witnesses were out in our neighborhood this week. Talked to the nice lady at the door for a moment, said "no thank you" and wished her a nice day. No big deal.

Just say you're not interested and move on. Door to door evangelism may not be time effective but our church has seen converts from the practice over the years.

And, just to be ornery for a moment, this week here on the boards a teen was widely praised for staging a protest over a dress-code but teens sharing their faith is somehow annoying. That seems a bit inconsistent.

No one wants to make proselytizing illegal, they are just complaining.

It doesn't bother me but it laws about it would, just as laws telling kids what they can wear would bother me.

These people all knock on your door?

I don't answer, so I don't know how many of them do. They all have the same right you do to do it, and they're all going to get the same response from me if they do.

The point is, you may think it's not much of a nuisance if you do something, but it's a royal pain if large numbers of people do it. Like littering.

Seriously, if I want to get to know other people's religious truths, I know.where.to.find.them.

• Like 8

I rarely have anyone come to my door. Never religions. If they are offering something I don't want I politely say I am not interested. It really really doesn't make me mad.

If you rarely have anyone come to your door, and never religions, then it's understandable that you have more patience with it! I promise you it's much more annoying when it happens on a regular basis. 

Edited by katilac
  • Like 12

We went street witnessing when I was a teen. In groups at the town park or whatever, never door-to-door.  It was our idea as a youth group, no one asked us to. We were just excited about our relationship with Jesus and wanted to share that with others.

As far as I know, no one ever got angry or offended over it.  

I do know that it helped many of us learn how to articulate our faith....and strengthen it.  We had some amazing, divine encounters.  

And I totally agree with friendship based evangelism and helping out with ministries like a soup kitchen or helping with Habitat for Humanity, etc.

I think there is room for both.

• Like 7

But your intent is to change their beliefs.

At least be honest with yourself. You are there on the off chance they will convert to your faith. You know most people find it annoying but you persist in doing it. I'm not sure why it would surprise you that most people find it intrusive and rude to come to their door.

And the annoyance that others feel and voice when having someone's religion shoved down their throats lets the Proselytizer feel persecuted. So now they get double points and get to talk about how they're a victim of the War on Christmas. Sigh.

• Like 18

I keep reading "We aren't there to save you. We aren't there to convert you. We are there to fulfill our duty." That seems rather selfish to me. You are there for yourself.

Yep. All too often it feels like "I'm here to make myself feel good."

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 11

I was raised Catholic. Over time I realized I had no faith, but until maybe six months or so ago I was apathetic: Live and let live, you have your beliefs and I have mine. Lately I've watched professed Christians tie themselves in knots to proclaim holy what the Bible would recognize as false prophets. They support people who take food from the poor, healthcare from the sick, and jail or kill people instead of helping them find the mental health services they so desperately need, all for power and profit. It's disgusting; I'm disgusted. Im not longer apathetic; I'm furious.

• Like 34

We went street witnessing when I was a teen. In groups at the town park or whatever, never door-to-door. It was our idea as a youth group, no one asked us to. We were just excited about our relationship with Jesus and wanted to share that with others.

As far as I know, no one ever got angry or offended over it.

I do know that it helped many of us learn how to articulate our faith....and strengthen it. We had some amazing, divine encounters.

And I totally agree with friendship based evangelism and helping out with ministries like a soup kitchen or helping with Habitat for Humanity, etc.

I think there is room for both.

I can guarantee that people were annoyed, but too polite to say anything because you were a kid. Lots of people despise being proselytized to but are too nice to say anything other than, "no thank you."

• Like 18

No one wants to make proselytizing illegal, they are just complaining.

It doesn't bother me but it laws about it would, just as laws telling kids what they can wear would bother me.

I actually would be happy for door-to-door proselytizing to be illegal. (Hanging out in a public place is fine.)

Never going to happen here.

• Like 13

No door bells in Jesus day....but he did tell us to go from house to house and town to town. It is effective. And it isn't the only way we spread the good news.

You'd be cool with me coming to your door with the news that there is no god but Allah and Mohamed is his prophet? Surely you understand commission? Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 8

We are there to offer information and comfort if we can.

It is always enlightening for me to read these threads and see how people here really feel.

My personal feeling is that it is arrogant for folks to knock on my door assuming that I don't already HAVE the information I need to make an informed decision about my own spirituality.

• Like 18

I keep reading "We aren't there to save you. We aren't there to convert you. We are there to fulfill our duty." That seems rather selfish to me. You are there for yourself.

Interesting take.

We care about people. We hope to help them. While we fulfill our obligations. It isn't easy to do especially when we are treated poorly and worse. I am not sure how that is selfish .

• Like 1

My personal feeling is that it is arrogant for folks to knock on my door assuming that I don't already HAVE the information I need to make an informed decision about my own spirituality.

We do not know what people have or what they want until we talk to them .

You'd be cool with me coming to your door with the news that there is no god but Allah and Mohamed is his prophet? Surely you understand commission?

I think people should do what they feel is right. I've never had other religions come to my door. Apparently other religions besides mine do in some places. Is that something that you normally do? Or are you just trying to be mean spirited to me particularly

• Like 1

I can guarantee that people were annoyed, but too polite to say anything because you were a kid. Lots of people despise being proselytized to but are too nice to say anything other than, "no thank you."

Oh, I don't doubt that...we probably had more zeal than wisdom.  :tongue_smilie:

It was still a good thing. 

• Like 2

I think people should do what they feel is right. I've never had other religions come to my door. Apparently other religions besides mine do in some places. Is that something that you normally do? Or are you just trying to be mean spirited to me particularly

You're the one justifying going door to door either because your religion requires it, or because you have something I need. You don't. I find the current presentation of evangelical Christian fairly vile, and someone showing on my door offering me salvation before coffee will do nothing to disabuse me of that notion. I have access to the news. It's the dominant religion,I'm quite familiar with what's on offer. Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 10

For those whose churches go door to door, were you brought into the faith that way, or was your spouse? I am curious about numbers. I cannot imagine that any large number of people would be reached in this way, but I can see that if it is how you, personally, found your faith, that must necessarily be compelling to you.

• Like 3

I was raised Catholic. Over time I realized I had no faith, but until maybe six months or so ago I was apathetic: Live and let live, you have your beliefs and I have mine. Lately I've watched professed Christians tie themselves in knots to proclaim holy what the Bible would recognize as false prophets. They support people who take food from the poor, healthcare from the sick, and jail or kill people instead of helping them find the mental health services they so desperately need, all for power and profit. It's disgusting; I'm disgusted. Im not longer apathetic; I'm furious.

I am still a believer, but I'm with you on the rest.

Anyway, regarding the op, I am a serious introvert, and I get do not appreciate someone coming to my home uninvited. I have a no soliciting sign, and we don't answer the door if we don't know the person. Door to door soliciting of any type is rude - period.

• Like 3

And the annoyance that others feel and voice when having someone's religion shoved down their throats lets the Proselytizer feel persecuted. So now they get double points and get to talk about how they're a victim of the War on Christmas. Sigh.

I don't really know what that means. Must be another religion ---we don't feel persecuted by rejection. And we don't even celebrate Christmas.

• Like 1

You're the one justifying going door to door either because your religion requires it, or because you have something I need. You don't. I find the current presentation of evangelical Christian fairly vile, and someone showing on my door offering me salvation before coffee will do nothing to disabuse me of that notion. I have access to the news. It's the dominant religion,I'm quite familiar with what's on offer.

You are well within your rights to reject anything offered to you.

My religion is no where near the dominant religion. We are very non mainstream.

Scarlett,

Do you drop by people's houses uninvited or announced otherwise? Like friends or acquaintances? Is this an acceptable activity in any capacity, or just a religious one? I'm curious if it's typical in JW culture outside of proselytizing.

• Like 5

I fell in love with the JW lady who would come to our door in Japan. I'm so glad she did. I ended up doing a Bible study with her for a year and learned a lot about her beliefs.

She also demonstrated to me how to care for others. I was sick a lot that year and she brought soup around several times despite my protests and frequently brought treats for my girls. My more cynical self speculated that she was getting "points" for doing that, but I never actually really felt as if she felt we were some sort of obligation.

In the end, though, I know I was making her sad. I enjoyed learning about her faith, but was never going to be able to share it.

• Like 3

I guess I don't understand why this would be obnoxious. Jehovah Witnesses were out in our neighborhood this week. Talked to the nice lady at the door for a moment, said "no thank you" and wished her a nice day. No big deal.

Just say you're not interested and move on. Door to door evangelism may not be time effective but our church has seen converts from the practice over the years.

And, just to be ornery for a moment, this week here on the boards a teen was widely praised for staging a protest over a dress-code but teens sharing their faith is somehow annoying. That seems a bit inconsistent.

You really don't get the difference between door-to-door evangelism and a teen standing up for what they believe is wrong with a school rule?  Really?

• Like 10

Interesting take.

We care about people. We hope to help them. While we fulfill our obligations. It isn't easy to do especially when we are treated poorly and worse. I am not sure how that is selfish .

Really? You are doing something that you know annoys the majority of people (at least you know now) to satisfy your religious requirements and you don't see how that is selfish??

• Like 13

To walk to my front door you have to walk a fairly long way through my property. Maybe setting up a sacrificial Odin type thing in the front yard would deter? Sorry, I went and accidentally took DS to an American Gods screening.

There are no gods like the old gods, FYI.

• Like 9

I've been a Christian my entire life. I have never been part of a church that goes door to door. I guess 'door to door' is common in denominations of which I've never been part of.

A quick question... For JW's, is the door to door evangelizing a requirement for heaven? I am absolutely not trying to be offensive with that question, just trying to understand the drive behind it, that's all. Not judging at all.

You will never offend me asking me about my beliefs.

Sharing what we have learned from the scriptures is one of the things that is required of us. I have no desire or hope to go to heaven though. I do hope to help others and please my God.

Really? You are doing something that you know annoys the majority of people (at least you know now) to satisfy your religious requirements and you don't see how that is selfish??

I do not know that the majority of peopl are annoyed. And no I do not think I am being selfish.

I do not know that the majority of peopl are annoyed. And no I do not think I am being selfish.

Exactly how many people need to tell you that this is annoying and selfish for you to listen? Does the entire population of the world need to camp out in front of your house? (What's that addy again?)

• Like 8

Scarlett,

Do you drop by people's houses uninvited or announced otherwise? Like friends or acquaintances? Is this an acceptable activity in any capacity, or just a religious one? I'm curious if it's typical in JW culture outside of proselytizing.

I do not not. I am also not knocking on doors or approaching people on the street to have a lengthy social visit. Generally takes 60 seconds or so to share a thought.

Eh, I just don't open the door. Even if my children are gawking at them through the window. If they don't get the hint I have been known to open a window and yell down that I don't open the door to strangers. Works for solicitors, evangelizers, people who want to give me a quote to replace my roof, etc.

Exactly how many people need to tell you that this is annoying and selfish for you to listen? Does the entire population of the world need to camp out in front of your house? (What's that addy again?)

I have never thought about needing a certain number.

I fell in love with the JW lady who would come to our door in Japan. I'm so glad she did. I ended up doing a Bible study with her for a year and learned a lot about her beliefs.

She also demonstrated to me how to care for others. I was sick a lot that year and she brought soup around several times despite my protests and frequently brought treats for my girls. My more cynical self speculated that she was getting "points" for doing that, but I never actually really felt as if she felt we were some sort of obligation.

In the end, though, I know I was making her sad. I enjoyed learning about her faith, but was never going to be able to share it.

We really aren't trying to get points. I don't know how those would be calculated. We just try to be nice and help people when we can.

• Like 2

Scarlett, I want to respectful of all religions, but I think it's dishonest of any Jehovah's Witness to claim not to know that people find their door to door tradition annoying and intrusive.

It would be easier to respect if you said something like, "We know our message and presence are frequently not welcome, but we will continue to do it as a requirement of our faith. And we do believe that we are providing something that people need, or helping others."

But "I don't know that the majority are annoyed?" Yes, you do.

• Like 22

So you won't randomly show up at a friend's house but you will at a stranger's? Seems legit.

If I had something to drop off for a friend yes I would stop by. A. It different than expecting to be invited in for supper. Or even coffee.

Not the same thing at all.

Scarlett, I want to respectful of all religions, but I think it's dishonest of any Jehovah's Witness to claim not to know that people find their door to door tradition annoying and intrusive.

It would be easier to respect if you said something like, "We know our message and presence are frequently not welcome, but we will continue to do it as a requirement of our faith. And we do believe that we are providing something that people need, or helping others."

But "I don't know that the majority are annoyed?" Yes, you do.

I don't. But maybe I have not given it too much thought because it is something we will do as part of our faith.

I don't. But maybe I have not given it too much thought because it is something we will do as part of our faith.

So it doesn't matter if people are annoyed, right? Because you have to fulfill the requirement of your religion. So really your audience and their views really have nothing to do with it?
  • Like 12

There's a new trick here I've met a few times now, where  pair of (usually) young women come to the door asking for help with their "homework" from "Language School" (they have all been ESL speakers, almost all Asian).  They then produce a bible and start asking if you understand the meaning of certian verses.  UGH!  I chalk it up to another layer of the dishonesty I keep seeing in religion. 

Sounds good.

Unfortunately, I live in a fortress. This is an old stone church we converted. Poured concrete walls covered in river walk. In good weather I can keep the window open, but in bad weather, yikes...we can't hear anything outside!!

entirely OT, I would LOVE to see photos if it weren't too invasive!  Your house sounds amazing.

• Like 2