Menu

Awesome garage sale scores this morning! Just have to share somewhere...

TheReader

So, our neighborhood does a community wide garage sale each year; I don't usually have much to sell, but like to walk through and see what's available, just in case. The first year we found a keyboard (music keyboard, with stand and foot pedal) for $35. The next year I got just some cute little glasses for serving ice cream in. 

This year is I think my best yet, and going to be hard to top -- I found a Nintendo 64, with 4 games, 4 controllers, all in working condition, for $20!!! We've been looking for something to take to my MIL's house for when we visit; she has a great playroom but it's still set up for littles (of the grandkids, 4 are 12 and up, and 1 is a 5 yr old girl), with nothing for the big kids to do. They all bring their handheld game devices and play solo, or sit and semi talk to the adults; something like this will be perfect over there (if my kids actually let it go over there...it might be something we take with us when we visit, but lives here, LOL!). 

I cannot believe the family was selling it so cheaply. It was hilarious this morning watching the boys play with it -- figuring out the "so weird" controllers, the novelty of "an actual switch, like, that stays where you put it when you turn it off...", the old school graphics....oh my gosh, it was worth the $20 just for the entertainment of watching them play it. So fun!!

To top it off, I also found a lady selling clothes dirt cheap -- 10 cents a top, 50 cents for a dress. Well she had a formal gown, floor length, really beautiful, in perfect condition, my size, really nice style/color for me. I figured of course it wasn't one of the "all dresses 50 cents" dresses, which was fine; we're going on a cruise in May and I need a dress for formal night. Asked about it....yep, 50 cents. With the shawl. I will need to have it altered in the bust just a bit or use discreet pins, but other than that it's perfect. I was literally planning to go shopping next week and "find a formal" was at the top of my list, with hopes I could find something that would not eat up my entire budget. Fifty cents....I'd say that's well within budget! Yay!!! I grabbed another dress (casual sundress) and 3 summer tops, also on my shopping list, for a total of $1.30 for all 5 pieces. 

Trying to post pics of the formal....pardon my messy bedroom in the background, I'm just so excited to find a dress this nice!! Brand new, this would have eaten my entire clothes budget for the summer (and probably then some...). It's only letting me put one photo, but there's also a shawl that is the same black material as the overlay and has beaded fringe along the edge. I still can't believe my luck!! 

So fun! Just had to share :) 

• Like 33

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: I love it! Thanks for sharing!

You look gorgeous and the gown is beautiful! What a score!

I found seven cute summer Justice tops for my daughter at the thrift store this week for $1 each. Most were like new and one still had the tags on. A few weeks ago, I found a free Dr. Who tee and a $1 Firefly tee for my nieces. Those are my best finds recently. I am looking forward to garage sale season!

• Like 3

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: I love it! Thanks for sharing!

You look gorgeous and the gown is beautiful! What a score!

I found seven cute summer Justice tops for my daughter at the thrift store this week for $1 each. Most were like new and one still had the tags on. A few weeks ago, I found a free Dr. Who tee and a $1 Firefly tee for my nieces. Those are my best finds recently. I am looking forward to garage sale season!

Oh, those are awesome finds! I had Goodwill on my list of places to shop, although the one near me has pretty high prices for a resale shop still better than new. Most of my high school wardrobe came from thrift shops, and I still struggle paying full price for clothes, even now that we can. 

But man, my nieces would love the tees you found! I snagged a Harry Potter shirt on clearance one year for one, for $3, but nothing super cool since. 

And thank you! This is by far the most formal dress I've ever owned. I'm delighted to have found it!

• Like 2

What a great deal on a beautiful dress.

One year I found Levi's jeans for my daughter at a garage sale for 10¢ a pair...Many brand new. She had them in his current size and the next 2 sizes up. I bought them all. Jeans for a few years for under $2.

Yesterday I got 20dd 2 pair of jeans at our church thrift store for $1.50 each. One was brand new, other looked like they might have been washed once.

I love bargains.

• Like 4

Wahoo!

That's exciting!

I've had a couple great deal finds. Sometimes it feels like I'm stealing from them. "Really, that's ALL I owe you" (inside I'm thinking "because I'm willing to pay far more!")

That is kind of how I felt about the Nintendo. More so once I got home and looked all the pieces up on Game Stop's website. 

• Like 1