Menu

books for convalescing teen boy

cave canem

I have already picked up some leads from the matchmaker thread, but I am still looking for books for my 15 yo son who won't be mobile for weeks to come.   He is not interested in romance in literature; sci fi  is OK; classics are OK.  No graphic sex or high profanity density.   Thank you for sharing.

My son liked the Asimov books and the Larry Niven Ringworld stories.  Sci-Fi   Not my thing, but that's what he liked.  And Bill Bryson and Patrick McManus for sheer laughter.

Terry pratchett's Discworld- funny, easy reading, no profanity unless you are offended by talk of potatos.

Ursula le Guin's A Wizard of Earthsea series

Maximum Ride series by James Patterson

Wrinkle in Time, Enders Game, The Graveyard Book , Pendragon series by DJ Machale,

• Like 1

The Inheritance Series: 1: Eragon, 2: Eldest, 3: Brisingr, 4: Inheritance

There are dragons, but the story is so much more than dragons.  Both my college kids read them in high school, and loved them.  When ds went away to college, those are the only books he took with him (I had to buy more because his sisters were sad that he took them!)

The audiobooks read by Gerard Doyle are fabulous.  We listened to all four on various road trips, and hung on every word.  

• Like 1

Sci-fi is okay?

Try the Imperial Radch trilogy. Could not put it down.

Other ideas:

Stranger, by Rachel Manija

The Left Hand of Darkness (or anything else by LeGuin, really)

Everything Discworld (naturally!)

A Confusion of Princes

Steelheart

Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart (first in her Merlin series).

Silo series by Hugh Howey

Has he read Ray Bradbury?

Patrick O'Brian? Let him watch Master and Commander first..that should spark an interest!  Over 20 books in the Aubrey/Maturin series!!!!!!! O'Brian is Jane Austen for men (and women of course).  I can see a teen boy reading Post Captain over Emma, though :-)

Edited by JFSinIL

Agatha Christie: Murder on the Orient Express ;And Then There Were None

John Bellairs The Mummy, The Will and The Crypt

The Hunger Games

Across Five Aprils

Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series

Eric Severeid Canoeing with the Cree

Ben Carson Gifted Hand

The Chosen

War of the Worlds

Jack London To Build A Fire

The New Way Things Work

Calvin And Hobbes

October Sky

Heinlein: Have Space Suit, Will Travel;

Farmer in the Sky; The Rolling Stones; Citizen of the Galaxy

Anthony Horowitz Alex Rider series

The Ox-Bow Incident

Amos Fortune,Free Man

Robert Peck

Joseph Bruchac

Jules Verne

Edited by Heigh Ho

Has he read these classics?

The Count of Monte Cristo (very long - does have some romance, but it's not the main focus)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

This one is short and funny:

The Mouse that Roared  (although it seems there may be some mild romance)

What about non-fiction?

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing

Bruchko by Bruce Olson  (Christian missionary)

Edited by klmama
  • Like 1

The name of the wind by Patrick rothfuss.

I agree, but it's so good that he will want to continue the series! The second book contains graphic sexual content.

Brandon Sanderson is excellent (according to my husband) and very clean. He is a Mormon writer.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld (I know it's already been mentioned numerous times)

The Martian (though there is a lot of profanity)

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

The Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff

The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared; The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, both by Jonas Jonasson

• Like 1

Brandon Sanderson is excellent (according to my husband) and very clean. He is a Mormon writer.

A lot of speculative fiction authors are Mormons right now. I'm not sure why, actually, but it's a large enough percentage that I've taken note of it.

I agree, but it's so good that he will want to continue the series! The second book contains graphic sexual content.

Oh? Sorry, I forgot! I still don't even remember with the reminder.

My daughter suggests ~

The Goblin Emperor  by Katherine Addison

The Thief (The Queen's Thief Book 1)  by Megan Whalen Turner plus sequels

She seconds the Terry Pratchett recommendations.

Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix

The Martian has a new version with expletives deleted

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Epic  by Conor Kostick

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

The Thief is great. Two things, though.

First, it's better to start with the second book in the series, then loop around to the first. The first is a little lackluster.

Second, if you read it, you might as well give up on the False Prince series. They've got the same twist, and you'll see it coming from page two.

14 year old says: 

Salt to the Sea

Wolf by Wolf

16 year old says: 

Lord of the Rings trilogy 

Dune

I say: 

The Chosen or My Name is Asher Lev

The Count of Monte Cristo

The Once and Future King

Ender's Game

For straight brain candy World War Z and Robopocalypse were fun too (although it's been a few years so I have no memory of curse words). 

I have already picked up some leads from the matchmaker thread, but I am still looking for books for my 15 yo son who won't be mobile for weeks to come.   He is not interested in romance in literature; sci fi  is OK; classics are OK.  No graphic sex or high profanity density.   Thank you for sharing.

You might start him with Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber -- if he likes it, there is a long series to look forward to (that both my husband and I really enjoy).

Here is the summary on David Weber's own site: http://www.davidweber.net/books/43-off-armageddon-reef.html

If he can handle a little bit of profanity, -The Martian- by Andy Weir (The book) is really good. And I've heard if you love the Martian, you should read _Ready Player One_

In a more fantastical theme, John C Wright has a good new "Moth & Cobweb" series (4 books out so far. I think it is intended to be 4 triologies, in the end. The first "Swan Knight" triology is finished.)  https://www.amazon.com/Swan-Knights-Son-Squire-Cobweb-ebook/dp/B01L43JG88/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 Swan Knight's Son is the first book

My husband really loves Nethereal by Brian Niemeier -- though it is too close to horror for my taste. https://www.amazon.com/Nethereal-Soul-Cycle-Book-1-ebook/dp/B00ZBDOHKU/ref=pd_sim_351_20?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PQS6B6AZ52EJTF5AN0A3

The Queen's Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner  https://www.amazon.com/Thief-Queens-Book-ebook/dp/B002OMZTY4/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1491920984&sr=1-3&keywords=Megan+Turner

Tamora Pierce has some excellent series as well.

Alanna: The First Adventure starts the Song of the Lioness series.

I really prefer Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen -- about Alanna's daughter. But it may be because I've already read the books about Alanna one.

A standalone series that is also really good are the Legend of Beka Cooper books, starting with _Terrier_  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W917PQ/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Edited by vonfirmath