Menu

when you sell a house

DawnM

and you take down all the pictures.....do you fix all the holes before you move?  Is that expected?

Editing because I wasn't clear.  I mean, when you stage a home, you have pictures up.  AFTER it sells, and you are packing and leaving, do you patch the holes for the new owners who have already purchased the house?

Edited by DawnM

We do, but usually it's easy because I've kept the right paint on hand for touch-ups. I don't think you *have* to, if the house is already sold, but it's a nice thing to do for the new owners.

If your house will still be on the market, definitely patch, even if it means you have to paint. IMO, anyway.

• Like 2

We do, but usually it's easy because I've kept the right paint on hand for touch-ups. I don't think you *have* to, if the house is already sold, but it's a nice thing to do for the new owners.

If your house will still be on the market, definitely patch, even if it means you have to paint. IMO, anyway.

What do you mean by this?

In the market we are in (totally a seller's market) I would patch the holes but not paint.  

The rule to remember is that you want to make it easy for people to do what you want them to do.  In our market, it is putting your house on the market, so increasing the available inventory by 10%.  

But in a buyer's or neutral market, I would patch holes and paint.

I was a little shocked that the people who bought our beach house did not paint a *bright blue* room in the house they are renting by the week.  There are so many faded spots on those walls...it surprises me that they can call it a "luxury setting."  But it seems to rent out fast enough.  I know *I* can't afford it. 

Well I don't know if it's expected, but I think it's a kind thing to do (sort of a pay it forward), so yes, we do. It just looks sooooo much better to fill in the holes and then touch up the paint. And really it doesn't take very long. One time we bought a house (a military move) and the previous owners did not fill in any holes and I have to say, I had a really negative experience in part because of it. The walls were so marked up and there were a lot of holes and it just looked shabby. It would have looked a thousand times better if they'd just filled in the holes and touched up the paint. It's the little things that make a difference. People are putting (often) their life savings into the house and I really want them to feel good about it when they walk in the door for the first time as owners. I think of it as a bit of a "pay it forward" kind of thing. I have honestly been amazed at the difference in the before and after by doing just this simple little thing.

• Like 3

We touch up any holes that will be visible during the selling process (because we took down 75% of our wall hangings). Touching up includes painting the area to blend it in. We do not touch up the other 25% after we sell.

edited because autocorrect is funny.

Edited by BooksandBoys
  • Like 1

What do you mean by this?

Are you moving before your house sells? If you will be vacating it, but leaving it on the market (for sale) empty, definitely patch & paint the walls so it looks fresh/shows well.

If you move after selling it (have a firm sales contract), patching holes is a courtesy rather than something you must do.

• Like 1

Well I don't know if it's expected, but I think it's a kind thing to do (sort of a pay it forward), so yes, we do. It just looks sooooo much better to fill in the holes and then touch up the paint. And really it doesn't take very long. One time we bought a house (a military move) and the previous owners did not fill in any holes and I have to say, I had a really negative experience in part because of it. The walls were so marked up and there were a lot of holes and it just looked shabby. It would have looked a thousand times better if they'd just filled in the holes and touched up the paint. It's the little things that make a difference. People are putting (often) their life savings into the house and I really want them to feel good about it when they walk in the door for the first time as owners. I think of it as a bit of a "pay it forward" kind of thing. I have honestly been amazed at the difference in the before and after by doing just this simple little thing.

Agree! I have also left notes in the kitchen drawer listing paint brands/colors I used in each room, and a list of plants in the gardens.

• Like 2

Agree! I have also left notes in the kitchen drawer listing paint brands/colors I used in each room, and a list of plants in the gardens.

Yep. I do this. I also leave the extra touch up paints, which are labeled nearly.

It's not a hardship for me to just remove certain pages from my house folder before I move.

• Like 1

Before we put our former house on the market we repainted and patched all the holes and didn't rehang anything. So . . .nice, clean walls. But I don't think that's expected. The house we bought had lots of nail holes. It certainly wasn't a deal breaker.

• Like 1

Are you moving before your house sells? If you will be vacating it, but leaving it on the market (for sale) empty, definitely patch & paint the walls so it looks fresh/shows well.

If you move after selling it (have a firm sales contract), patching holes is a courtesy rather than something you must do.

Oh, no, we aren't moving before the house sells.  

No, not for regular sized holes. If we had damaged the wall, then we probably would have.

The house we moved it to - the people did not fix/fill the holes from pictures - and she had a LOT. I've used some of those same holes to put up my pictures. 

• Like 1

Before we put our house on the market we repainted much of the house and so patched and didn't rehang things. In our new home there are so many nail holes it's crazy! They didn't patch...one room has 20+ nail holes in it! I wish they had but we do plan on painting it all eventually. And they did leave the original paint for us. So I'd say it's nice but not always done.

• Like 2

We always have. I just think it's kind and a helpful thing for the new owners. Generally we take quite a bit off the walls before listing so those are definitely patched/painted. Then the few things we leave up we patch/paint when we take them down.

I think it's because I'm still scarred by a house we bought years ago that had a ridiculous number of nail holes and was super dirty when we moved it. It just made me think about how I'd like to move in and have tried to do that for others.

• Like 1

Then I say yes, patch and paint. Make that house as fresh and move in ready as possible sonit will be appealing to prospective buyers.

But things will still be on the walls when they look at the house.

But things will still be on the walls when they look at the house.

We are dancing around this question. Let's see if I can be clearer...

In a vacant/empty home still on the market, bare walls should be patched and, if necessary, painted.

Once sold, as you remove your furnishings, it is a courtesy to patch walls so the new owner can move in without having to do that. It's not hard if you still have paint that matches. If you do not have paint that matches, just leave the holes for them to worry about.

• Like 3

In a vacant/empty home still on the market, bare walls should be patched and, if necessary, painted.

Once sold, as you remove your furnishings, it is a courtesy to patch walls so the new owner can move in without having to do that. It's not hard if you still have paint that matches. If you do not have paint that matches, just leave the holes for them to worry about.

I wasn't dancing, I was trying to figure out if you understood that the walls would not be bare when it was shown since you used the words, "make it fresh for perspective buyers."  They won't see the holes while the pictures are still on the walls.

Yes, it is a courtesy.  I am just curious if it was necessary or expected. 

This.

If you have matching paint, a quick sparkle and touch up is kind, and the way to go. Doesn't take long.

If you don't have the matching paint, then leave the holes - hopefully they are small and neat.

We patched and painted and left zero holes at our last home.

The previous owners of our home left it completely spotless, and did some little extra welcome home things for us that felt great. They did leave a few picture hangers in the walls in key locations and we actually just used them. So if you're using nice picture hangers - you might leave them in place.

• Like 1

We have not patched holes after we took all the pics down and were packing up. HOWEVER, we required it of the sellers in one of the homes we bought. We did this because we'd never seen so many photos and wall hangings on walls in our lives and knew it was going to be a major chore. So in that house, they had to patch and paint pretty much everything post move out. Or rather, they had to pay for it. We actually contracted the work and chose our own colors but the sellers paid for it. It was too much patching not to paint.

• Like 1

and you take down all the pictures.....do you fix all the holes before you move?  Is that expected?

Editing because I wasn't clear.  I mean, when you stage a home, you have pictures up.  AFTER it sells, and you are packing and leaving, do you patch the holes for the new owners who have already purchased the house?

Not only do I do this, but I make sure that paint is clearly labeled so the new buyer can tell which room it is for. I also either clean myself so the house is move in ready, or I hire it done. I also leave a welcome note, along with a plant, flowers or bottle of wine. I also leave information pertaining to the house, appliances, repair people who we've used for servicing appliances and the like, along with any other information that would make owning that house easier for them. I also notify the next door or across the street neighbors with basic info, such as, "Bob and Sue are moving in next Tuesday. I know they'd love to meet you. They, too, have 3 elementary aged children." Nothing too earth shattering, but I try to treat the new owners the way I would want to be treated.

• Like 2

Not only do I do this, but I make sure that paint is clearly labeled so the new buyer can tell which room it is for. I also either clean myself so the house is move in ready, or I hire it done. I also leave a welcome note, along with a plant, flowers or bottle of wine. I also leave information pertaining to the house, appliances, repair people who we've used for servicing appliances and the like, along with any other information that would make owning that house easier for them. I also notify the next door or across the street neighbors with basic info, such as, "Bob and Sue are moving in next Tuesday. I know they'd love to meet you. They, too, have 3 elementary aged children." Nothing too earth shattering, but I try to treat the new owners the way I would want to be treated.

I do these things, too. I especially include the business information of people who did specialized work.

And we always leave flowers and a bottle of champagne with a note to the new owners on our last visit the day before closing.

It's how we were treated in the last three closings. I ALSO leave TP on every roll and and extra in the cupboard, and paper towels in the kitchen, a small bottle of dishwashing liquid and dw tabs under the kitchen sink and box of tissues in the main bathroom.

That's one thing that I would be sure to do in the real estate photos. It looks so DEPRESSING When the TP roller is empty.

No. If there were things on the walls when they looked at the house, they should expect small holes. 

I am getting ready to sell my parents house and have had the interior painted. There will be nothing on the walls when it shows, thus no holes. The realtor advised nothing on the walls. 

You rock.

The previous owners of our home had us over for dinner just before they packed up. We did champagne and toasted, and they told us a lot about the home we'd never have known. It's a special place, lots of cool history.

They left us a French press, for the time before we unpacked our coffee machine, and a pot to boil water, paper goods, cleaning goodies and a kick butt vacuum. They left a packet of all the manuals, house info, everything they'd done to the home and all contractor names. It was very thorough. And they left a diagram of our cul de sac with names, kids ages, and contact info for everyone. Plus, a list of hair salons, doc offices, dog groomers and boarders. And there were a bunch of other little things that were meant to make us smile - and did.

It was super sweet.

• Like 2

The house we moved into had TVS -on the walls- in almost every room. They didn't patch the holes (big) left behind when they took those with them. I did not have complimentary thoughts about them.

That's the kind of stuff that ought to be patched.  Even if it isn't painted, it should be patched.  Picture-hanging holes are one thing, but the kind of stuff that mounted TVs require...that's stuff that should be repaired.  I guess my dividing line is "if it needed a molly, y'oughta fix it."

The house we bought, the guy before put in ceiling-mounted AND wall-mounted speakers all over the mail living area...6 or 7 of them.  I had to dig out all those mollies and then patch and patch and paint and so on.  I still haven't truly finished the re-painting of that area because I hate painting ceilings. So there those mollies are, laughing at me.