Menu

Flip or Flop

Scarlett

I won't miss it.

I did enjoy looking at real estate in that part of the country.  Dh was raised up there and moved away when he was about 30.  So he knows a lot of the towns and neighborhoods they talk about.  But I won't miss the way they interacted. 

• Like 3

I saw it recently after a hiatus and the body language was appalling.  Who wants to watch that?

I see that they are starting a F/F in Las Vegas.  Just in time for the NFL to get some new homes!!!  HAHA

I never really got into this show. I wasn't overly impressed with either of their personalities, even before they split. I also didn't love their flips; they were always so similar. I realize some of it could be because that's what sells there, but I just got a bit tired of white, gray and subway tiles.

Fixer Upper is definitely more my "style." Well, it would be if I could afford to have a style. ;-p

• Like 9

I never really got into this show. I wasn't overly impressed with either of their personalities, even before they split. I also didn't love their flips; they were always so similar. I realize some of it could be because that's what sells there, but I just got a bit tired of white, gray and subway tiles.

Fixer Upper is definitely more my "style." Well, it would be if I could afford to have a style. ;-p

This was my take-away exactly.  I hated all the white, gray and black.  So blah.  I guess it looks great for selling, but there's no personality.

Plus, I could not stand her growl voice.  Why is  that so popular now??!!  I don't get it.  It's so annoying.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

This was my take-away exactly.  I hated all the white, gray and black.  So blah.  I guess it looks great for selling, but there's not personality.

I tend to agree with this - when my SIL got a home last year she was so excited to paint/decorate... and she did everything in varying shades of gray. It's not my preferred color for sure, nor are all the nicknacks that are "decorative" and just take up space and give me one more thing to keep my kids away from!! 

• Like 1

Dh and I watched maybe two episodes a few years ago.  Neither of us liked them as a couple and thought they were both a little....shady isn't the right word, but not people we would ever trust as individuals.  They made us very uncomfortable.

Now, we did like Rehab Addict.  Her work was amazing and she was a lot more down to earth than those two.

• Like 2

I only watched a few episodes of Flip or Flop, and like a previous poster, I found their interactions painful to watch. My current favorite HGTV show is Love It or List It. I know it's fake fake fake, but I like to try to guess what the family will do, and I like the sarcastic leads. My second favorite is the tiny house show, especially the episodes where they try to shoehorn a family of five or six into 200 square feet. Every time I hear a mom say that they are downsizing to reduce her stress, I crack up. Because being stuck in one room with all of your kids in an upper midwest winter is going to be so peaceful?  :lol:

• Like 8

I liked it, christina always seemed like a good mom, but she always wanted to do expensive stuff when they didn't have the budget.  tarek frequently was overly optimistic on his budgets too.  he's also said a lot of the strain in the relationship dates from when he had thyroid cancer.  and ivf to have the baby. some people don't realize just how much stress that causes, and how much that taxes a relationship.

I like property brothers.  jonathan does try to tailor the designs to the buyer's taste, and he's not afraid of color.  (they did a brother vs brother for charity in vegas - his house had a lot of color  he and drew raz each other mercilessly at times - but as my sons would say, that's what brothers do.  it's obvious they're very close.

love it or list it.  the original - I loathed the hosts on the one set in bc. i watched it becasue it was vancouver and i've visited the city several times over the years.

for completely different - texas flip and move.   I started watching it becasue it's in the ft worth area, and my daughter moved down  there.

• Like 1

Just read TLC is reviving Trading Spaces! That show was always entertaining.

I loved that show! I still remember that crazy Hildie (I think that was her name) gluing silk flowers all over the bathroom walls in one house and dumping sand all over a basement floor in another house so it would feel like the beach. :lol: And somebody else glued straw all over the walls in someone's house, too. :eek:

• Like 7

for completely different - texas flip and move. I started watching it becasue it's in the ft worth area, and my daughter moved down there.

Texas Flip & Move is my guilty pleasure! My favorites on that show are Donna and Toni because they seem genuinely nice, and I just love their father, too.

• Like 1

I loved that show! I still remember that crazy Hildie (I think that was her name) gluing silk flowers all over the bathroom walls in one house and dumping sand all over a basement floor in another house so it would feel like the beach. :lol: And somebody else glued straw all over the walls in someone's house, too. :eek:

And the time they painted someone's master bedroom carpet (!) bright orange.

• Like 2

And the time they painted someone's master bedroom carpet (!) bright orange.

I remember that! I used to love it when the neighbors would finally get up their nerve and decide that the "designs" were too hideous and Doug would stalk off in a big snit because they wouldn't do what he said.

• Like 2

I was thinking of the designer from the designed to sell - lisa laportia.  loved her and the host clive.

Texas Flip & Move is my guilty pleasure! My favorites on that show are Donna and Toni because they seem genuinely nice, and I just love their father, too.

yes.  katrina seems cute too.  I do like their dad.  very no nonsense just gets things done.

• Like 1

Hildi Santo Tomas!

The sand on the floor room! "Magenta-Taupe, Magenta-Taupe, Magenta-Taupe, all. a.round. the. room." :lol:

Another cringeworthy show was when the HO said "whatever you do, don't paint it brown."

Aaaaaaaannnnndddd...at the reveal, it was brown!

I loved Vern!

I wonder how much money they'll get this time? It was $1000.

Now, bring back Nicey Nash, too...who wants a clean house?!?

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 5

Hildi Santo Tomas!

The sand on the floor room! "Magenta-Taupe, Magenta-Taupe, Magenta-Taupe, all. a.round. the. room." :lol:

Another cringeworthy show was when the HO said "whatever you do, don't paint it brown."

I loved Vern!

:iagree:

After the show had been on for a while, people got to know the different designers and everyone was always so happy when they found out that Vern was the one doing their house! He was so nice, and he tried so hard to match the style of the room he was designing to the homeowners' existing style so the room would fit into the house and not look ridiculous.

• Like 1

Hildi Santo Tomas!

I loved Vern!

I think the british version - changing rooms - came first.   there was a homeowner on that one who'd said "whatever you do - don't touch the brick on the fireplace." . . you can guess what happened.   the neighbors tried to stop the designer, but not hard enough.  the homeowner burst into tears at the reveal.  the host (who used to be a designer that people liked) was trying to comfort her.

some of these designers have the arrogance to think "oh, I get to show off my out-there designs".  they missed the memo that a designer's job is to make it work for the homeowner.

I remember the design competition show (dont' remember the name).  the last two designers - one was more "designerish" - the other fit the needs of the homeowner.  she won becasue she paid attention to the homeowner and designed something that would work for them.

vern was great. I remember the boy's bedroom he did. He indulged his fantasy about what he would have loved as a little boy.  it was a fabulous bedroom.

• Like 2

I think the british version - changing rooms - came first. there was a homeowner on that one who'd said "whatever you do - don't touch the brick on the fireplace." . . you can guess what happened. the neighbors tried to stop the designer, but not hard enough. the homeowner burst into tears at the reveal. the host (who used to be a designer that people liked) was trying to comfort her.

some of these designers have the arrogance to think "oh, I get to show off my out-there designs". they missed the memo that a designer's job is to make it work for the homeowner.

I remember the design competition show (dont' remember the name). the last two designers - one was more "designerish" - the other fit the needs of the homeowner. she won becasue she paid attention to the homeowner and designed something that would work for them.

vern was great. I remember the boy's bedroom he did. He indulged his fantasy about what he would have loved as a little boy. it was a fabulous bedroom.

IIRC:

One fireplace/room makeover...was by Doug. HO said don't touch the fireplace and so Doug built a wooden cover-up of the fireplace, but didn't touch the actual fireplace. The HO who started crying was dubbed Crying Pam by the Internet. But it was Paige Davis, the host of the show, who comforted her.

• Like 1

I couldn't stand Doug. I remember one episode where the HO specifically said don't touch the hardwood floors. Of course he wanted to touch them; rather he wanted to stain them in a checkerboard pattern. The neighbor totally went to bat for the HO and flat out refused to do it, even said she would lay down on the floor to keep him from doing it. He spent the rest of the episode in a snit, complaining that they just didn't appreciate the vision he had for the room 🙄

A friend and neighbor of mine tried to convince me to apply for the show, but no way. It would be just my luck that Hildi would come in and decide to glue orange shag carpet to the walls or something.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the jail-themed bedroom for the couple where the husband was a prison guard for a living? Creepy silhouettes of inmates on the walls? The bench made out of cell toilets? Ugggghhh Doug.

My college roommate and I would rush back to the apartment to eat junk food and yell at the Trading Spaces designers every afternoon from 3-4pm. Good times.

• Like 4

Does anyone remember the jail-themed bedroom for the couple where the husband was a prison guard for a living? Creepy silhouettes of inmates on the walls? The bench made out of cell toilets? Ugggghhh Doug.

My college roommate and I would rush back to the apartment to eat junk food and yell at the Trading Spaces designers every afternoon from 3-4pm. Good times.

I remember that one and the hay on the walls one. Does anyone else remember the moss one where hildi? covered plastic balls with moss and stuff and the homeowner was allergic to mold and stuff. Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Oh, some of those horrid designs. I can't even imagine trying to clean a bathroom with artificial flowers glued all over or clean painted carpet, etc.

My dream show would be how to design a home that is comfortable and I voting but very easy to clean....Think mud rooms, simple fixtures, wall mounted toilets, eliminating some doors, super easy to clean floors and furniture, etc. A modern show of How To Make Your House Do The Housework.

• Like 2