Menu

Dinner Help: need recipe for knock out sauce for salmon!

sheryl

I buy wild caught, sockeye (red) Salmon from Trader Joe's and at my grocer when on sale.  I like Salmon.  DH and DD will eat it b/c I fix it but they don't respect the nutritional value in Salmon that I do.

Anyway, guess what we're having for dinner tonight?  DH and I are eating Salmon.  DD will be at a church youth event tonight and eat dinner there.

At my grocer I struck up a conversation with this man behind the fresh meat dept. case.  He is a former executive chef.  He has decades of experience.  I shared this same scenario with him last year. He shared a recipe with me that is awesome but now I'm seeking something different (not so sweet and also to have a change).

His recipe:

You flip the Salmon here and there.  Keep skin on.  Once on skin side, prick the meat side with fork.  Drizzle with honey and crushed pecans, continue baking.  Then flip to the meat side "down" to sear honey/pecans.  WaLa - dinner in 10 min.  Super fast, easy and yummy.

I'd like a creamy sauce that isn't as sweet as this recipe.  I'll make the recipe above again but need a break from it. 

Ideas!!!!!

• Like 1

I do a ginger-garlic salmon.  I grate ginger and crush garlic in about equal amount (and I use LOTS so the top of the salmon is covered), then mix it with tamari sauce (soy is probably fine, but the tamari I use is gluten free) and lemon juice.  I spoon the sauce (really more a topping over the fillets and bake.  If the fillets are thick, it seems to be better to let them marinate in the sauce for 30 minutes to an hour before baking.  Sometimes I just marinate them in lemon juice and tamari while I get the ginger and garlic ready.

• Like 1

If the salmon is Atlantic, I can see why you'd put the pecans, etc. on. However if it's wild, just bake, skin side up, and eat. I love it straight.

Have you tried putting it in omelets? We had that in Alaska, where of course they eat a LOT of salmon, lol, and it was really good! They also make a lot of salmon quesadillas there, which are super yummy. So think like any other quesadilla, but with salmon, cheese, and your choice of spices blended together. Pop that between the two shells, grill, slice, and serve with sour cream, quacamole, etc. YUM. 

• Like 2

how fresh is the salmon?

dh uses butter.  lots and lots of butter. and lemon.  fresh wild sockeye - no sauce.   I want to taste the salmon   - not some sauce.

it's my first choice of entree.  copper river sockeye (which isn't in season).  really good cold leftover.  maybe with some dill sprinkled on top.

eta: my first clue a restaurant doesn't have *fresh* salmon - they put a sauce on it.  (I *always* ask for more info than they volunteer)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

We're actually having salmon for dinner tonight.

I bake it plain and then we each add our own sauce.  Because picky eaters.

Some of the girls just use a simple garlic butter.

I like a sauce that is brown sugar, butter, and hot sauce.  It's probably sweeter than you are wanting, but you could kick it up with extra hot sauce if you wanted.

• Like 1

zoobie and Katie (who has too much time "right now" on her hands waiting for BABY!) :)  Thanks, those sound good and what I'm looking for.

Jenn - I couldn't get the link to work.

Unfortunately, I can't stand capers. LOL!

GardenMom, where are you?  Pacific NW?  In no way will a little sauce mask the salmon, it's about proportion.  A little sauce with the salmon, not a little salmon with the sauce.  LOL!   I can eat it plain, but again, I have to spruce up for DH and DD.

We devour it with an Asian style marinade. Soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Scallions on top too. I usually do a whole side of salmon at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. It's moist and perfectly done. I add a little water to the pan in order to keep the marinated from burning.

• Like 1

Last night I roasted a salmon filet with a sauce made of a stick of butter, crushed garlic, and a lemon's juice. I simmered themtogether until saucey. I stick the whole side of salmon in the oven at 475 for 12-15 minutes or so, then drizzle the sauce for the last few minutes. So good, and easy!

• Like 2

I do a ginger-garlic salmon.  I grate ginger and crush garlic in about equal amount (and I use LOTS so the top of the salmon is covered), then mix it with tamari sauce (soy is probably fine, but the tamari I use is gluten free) and lemon juice.  I spoon the sauce (really more a topping over the fillets and bake.  If the fillets are thick, it seems to be better to let them marinate in the sauce for 30 minutes to an hour before baking.  Sometimes I just marinate them in lemon juice and tamari while I get the ginger and garlic ready.

I like these ideas b/c I like lemon.  DH and DD don't care for lemon - how lemony/strong is this flavor?

If you are asking about mine above, I don't notice much lemon flavor with the strong ginger, garlic and soy.  I could probably leave it out and not notice a difference.  Or maybe replace it with some rice wine vinegar?

• Like 1

GardenMom, where are you?  Pacific NW?  In no way will a little sauce mask the salmon, it's about proportion.  A little sauce with the salmon, not a little salmon with the sauce.  LOL!   I can eat it plain, but again, I have to spruce up for DH and DD.

seattle area.   some of the boats for "fishing Alaska" (or whatever it's called) reality tv shows are based out of here.

Last night I roasted a salmon filet with a sauce made of a stick of butter, crushed garlic, and a lemon's juice. I simmered themtogether until saucey. I stick the whole side of salmon in the oven at 475 for 12-15 minutes or so, then drizzle the sauce for the last few minutes. So good, and easy!

that smell should be outlawed. really.    :drool5: 

• Like 1

So many good ideas.

I mix a little teryaki, crush garlic and ginger root and sprinkle some sea salt and a little turmeric in there. Then squirt the salmon with a bit of olive oil and add the marinade. Bake at F 275 - F300 for approximately 15-25 minutes depending on oven.

• Like 1