Menu

spinach is dumb

SparklyUnicorn

If I'm cooking anything spinach heavy, I use frozen for that reason. It's much easier to drain the water out of it. And much more manageable. Fresh goes into things like pasta dishes and soups and so forth that don't need an entire barrel of spinach - where just a few handfuls are enough.

• Like 11

If I'm cooking anything spinach heavy, I use frozen for that reason. It's much easier to drain the water out of it. And much more manageable. Fresh goes into things like pasta dishes and soups and so forth that don't need an entire barrel of spinach - where just a few handfuls are enough.

Ah yes.  Then my husband will complain about the stems.  He's got a major aversion to stems.  Of course it doesn't help that his mother pounded into him that it's a mortal sin to leave stems.  I could care less.  I could eat a bowl of stems.  But yep that's why I end up doing it myself.

• Like 2

Ah yes. Then my husband will complain about the stems. He's got a major aversion to stems. Of course it doesn't help that his mother pounded into him that it's a mortal sin to leave stems. I could care less. I could eat a bowl of stems. But yep that's why I end up doing it myself.

I don't understand? You don't use frozen spinach because stems? I use chopped frozen spinach - if there are stems at all, they've been chopped too small for me to be aware of their existence. ..

• Like 7

I don't understand? You don't use frozen spinach because stems? I use chopped frozen spinach - if there are stems at all, they've been chopped too small for me to be aware of their existence. ..

Nope.  Not the frozen spinach I've bought.  It's had big honking pieces of stem.  Even if not big and honking, if he gets a little piece of stem he gets upset.  Which is weird.  Since he isn't in general like this about stuff I just deal, but it is annoying.

He never gets onion so maybe this is payback.  LOL

• Like 1

Nope. Not the frozen spinach I've bought. It's had big honking pieces of stem. Even if not big and honking, if he gets a little piece of stem he gets upset. Which is weird. Since he isn't in general like this about stuff I just deal, but it is annoying.

He never gets onion so maybe this is payback. LOL

Try TJ'S chopped spinach. No stems, at least that I've ever noticed. ..

ETA... Wait, does this mean you have to individually chop all the stems off your fresh spinach before chopping it proper? :svengo: I think if my dh were that picky, he'd be chopping himself or doing without...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 7

Thanks. I will look for it.

I don't go there often because it's well out of my way, but I was so thrilled to find riced cauliflower because it was quite a bit less expensive than what I usually pay for it!

They used to all be far away and I'd go with a cooler. They finally came closer.

They have two kinds of riced cauliflower - both fresh and frozen. You can guess which kind I buy. ;)

• Like 3

Oh and I also MUST peal asparagus.  Another fun task.  :glare:

I admit it is better pealed.  That's something I agree with him on.  But if it was just me I'd probably not do it.

What?  :huh: How in the world does one peel asparagus? What are you peeling? I'm so confused.

• Like 7

Ditto. I use frozen for spanikopita for that very reason. It would kill my prep time to have to deal with mounds of spinach. 

• Like 2

Use Baby Spinach - they have stems that are as tender as the leaves and your husband cannot find the stem in the chopped and cooked baby spinach, I guarantee!

If you can only find regular spinach, I suggest that you steam the spinach and puree it and add it to your dishes - that way, no one can object to stems! Life is too short to cut out stems from each spinach leaf ;)

• Like 2

Use Baby Spinach - they have stems that are as tender as the leaves and your husband cannot find the stem in the chopped and cooked baby spinach, I guarantee!

If you can only find regular spinach, I suggest that you steam the spinach and puree it and add it to your dishes - that way, no one can object to stems! Life is too short to cut out stems from each spinach leaf ;)

That's what I use.

Ah yes.  Then my husband will complain about the stems.  He's got a major aversion to stems.  Of course it doesn't help that his mother pounded into him that it's a mortal sin to leave stems.  I could care less.  I could eat a bowl of stems.  But yep that's why I end up doing it myself.

My dd must somehow be related to your dh  :lol: . She is so weird about some foods. I will make a beautiful salad full of spinach and other yummies. She will eat it but leaves behind a pile of stems in her bowl (along with anything purple). She digs out all the spinach leaves and pinches off the stems. It's a good thing she doesn't like any dressing or that would get messy. If I chop it for eggs, i try to at least chop off the bigger stems (but no promises).

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 1

My dd must somehow be related to your dh  :lol: . She is so weird about some foods. I will make a beautiful salad full of spinach and other yummies. She will eat it but leaves behind a pile of stems in her bowl (along with anything purple). She digs out all the spinach leaves and pinches off the stems. It's a good thing she doesn't like any dressing or that would get messy. If I chop it for eggs, i try to at least chop off the bigger stems (but no promises).

Well in that case at least she is just handling it herself. 

I tried not taking off the stems with baby spinach thinking hey they are more tender and surely this won't be a problem.  He made gagging and sputtering noises.  Didn't say a word because he won't complain in that way, but I knew he was upset about it. 

I'm kind of a weirdo about food (and lots of other things) so I guess he gets to be weird about some stuff.  LOL

I tried not taking off the stems with baby spinach thinking hey they are more tender and surely this won't be a problem.  He made gagging and sputtering noises.  Didn't say a word because he won't complain in that way, but I knew he was upset about it. 

I'm kind of a weirdo about food (and lots of other things) so I guess he gets to be weird about some stuff.  LOL

:lol:

We all have something, right?

I used to catch a lot of crap :001_rolleyes:  from a "friend" because I would used my stick blender to puree salsa before using it in a recipe because dd and dh don't like the chunks. But that takes like 10 seconds, and it's better than hearing gagging noises at the table, right?  :lol: .

• Like 3

I used to catch a lot of crap :001_rolleyes:  from a "friend" because I would used my stick blender to puree salsa before using it in a recipe because dd and dh don't like the chunks. But that takes like 10 seconds, and it's better than hearing gagging noises at the table, right?  :lol: .

Yup

Onions make me gag.  My mother would cut them super huge in everything (even pasta sauce) because I always picked them out.  She wasn't willing to cook without them, but she was willing to make it easier for me. 

• Like 1

Nope. Not the frozen spinach I've bought. It's had big honking pieces of stem. Even if not big and honking, if he gets a little piece of stem he gets upset. Which is weird. Since he isn't in general like this about stuff I just deal, but it is annoying.

He never gets onion so maybe this is payback. LOL

DH needs to do his turn on spinach prep duty.

• Like 4

Ah yes. Then my husband will complain about the stems. He's got a major aversion to stems. Of course it doesn't help that his mother pounded into him that it's a mortal sin to leave stems. I could care less. I could eat a bowl of stems. But yep that's why I end up doing it myself.

I'll tell you what makes a very cool little side dish, if you cut the stems 2-3 inches from the bottom part (and leave them attached) and then clean them carefully to work out any sand or grit, and then steam then (really good steamed in Nigiri Sake) very briefly. Good alone or with a little miso dressing and sesame seeds.

It makes a very good and unusual dish from a part that most often gets thrown away.

Bill

• Like 3

I'll tell you what makes a very cool little side dish, if you cut the stems 2-3 inches from the bottom part (and leave them attached) and then clean them carefully to work out any sand or grit, and then steam then (really good steamed in Nigiri Sake) very briefly. Good alone or with a little miso dressing and sesame seeds.

It makes a very good and unusual dish from a part that most often gets thrown away.

Bill

Yeah, I don't live in a place that has access to produce like that.  :laugh:

I tried not taking off the stems with baby spinach thinking hey they are more tender and surely this won't be a problem. He made gagging and sputtering noises. Didn't say a word because he won't complain in that way, but I knew he was upset about it.

Perhaps it's a good time to use that classic phrase, "Suck it up and deal with it, or next time you can cook your own spinach."

Just a thought... ;)

• Like 2

I used to catch a lot of crap :001_rolleyes: from a "friend" because I would used my stick blender to puree salsa before using it in a recipe because dd and dh don't like the chunks. But that takes like 10 seconds, and it's better than hearing gagging noises at the table, right? :lol: .

Ugh! I hate chunks. Hats them. I can't handle it. All salsa is blended, if it isnt smooth to start with. Every time. I'll empty a jar, blend it then pour it back into the jar.

You aren't alone

• Like 1

I have food texture issues the only frozen veggies I can do are corn, peas/beans/ and broccoli.  Only canned food I will eat is beans or tomatoes. Frozen spinach is just... no (unless I'm pregnant then I eat it straight out of the can).

What I do to keep spinach from becoming tiny bits of green slime is under-cook it.  I put it into whatever I'm cooking in the last couple minutes that way it still has a lot of it's bulk.

Oh, another weird one, potato eyes. I can not eat a potato I haven't completely blinded.  I don't know why, I could eat the eye by itself but not on the potato.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy