Menu

Delivery company claims item delivered. It wasn't! Now what?

LadyR

Really? When did they begin accepting PayPal?   I have a U.S. PayPal account so that's very interesting information. Thanks!

I went and looked again at adding payment options.  paypal is NOT on there, and I've never seen it.  there are other sites that occasionally will pop up with a paypal option - but those are smaller retailers.

• Like 1

If this is the web site you bought the phone from, wow, those are really expensive!  "From $439".    https://oneplus.net/

The Motorola phone DD bought 10 days ago was approximately USD $179 and that includes 16% VAT tax and it is a very nice phone.   There was a discount on that model, because my wife has a Store Credit Card for that particular superstore and sometimes (frequently) they offer a discount on certain models, if you pay with their card.

OP: If OnePlus normally ships via DHL Express, THEY selected the Shipping Carrier, not you.  If that is the case, they should be raising hell with DHL Express for you and/or sending you another phone to replace the one that DHL Express has delivered to someone else, at your expense.

On the other hand, if OnePlus normally ships with another Shipping Carrier and you asked them to ship via DHL Express and they did you a favor (I do not believe this is the case), then you selected DHL Express.

If OnePlus ships everything via DHL Express, they should have a phone number or email address that they, the Shipper, can use, to try to get help when things go awry as in this case.

We would be *really* angry if this much money was involved.   

When I told my wife about the progress of this thread, awhile ago, she mentioned that several years ago, she had the bright idea to buy 5 or 6 things for Christmas,  from a company called Linio.com here in Colombia. Turns out that Linio did not actually sell the things she bought, they were a "Drop Shipper" and other companies actually sold and shipped the items.  She remembers that one item showed delivered.  We got (via email I assume) a copy of the Delivery Receipt and it was signed for in the office of our HOA. If the Secretary is there, we can go to the office and get things lazy Messengers deliver to the office. Generally, that is with Envelopes or tiny packages.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

If this is the web site you bought the phone from, wow, those are really expensive!  "From $439".

Yup.  That's the phone. I have bought all my phones used from ebay, but this time I splurged on myself and I never do.  I cleaned houses to save up money for the phone. I could cry (well, I have cried) so I keep telling myself it's just a phone. 

Lanny, I contacted Mr. Hewitt today as you suggested.  Sent him a long email detailing everything.

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 2

On this URL https://oneplus.net/support/faq  it says What shipping methods do you offer? We have two shipping methods for most regions - Standard and Priority. You can select one of these during checkout. The cost will be automatically calculated for your order.

IMO if you used one of their "two shipping methods", and they chose the Shipping Carrier, they should be fighting for you.

ETA: After you send the request to the CEO of DHL Express in the USA (hopefully you did that earlier today) send OnePlus a Twitter Tweet  and send a Public post to their Facebook account. They should be helping you with this.   If what they are doing to you now is typical of their  Customer Service, not a good sign.  I think I'd prefer a refund to my PayPal account at this time, based on what they are doing (or not doing).

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

Yup.  That's the phone. I have bought all my phones used from ebay, but this time I splurged on myself and I never do.  I cleaned houses to save up money for the phone. I could cry (well, I have cried) so I keep telling myself it's just a phone. 

Lanny, I contacted Mr. Hewitt today as you suggested.  Sent him a long email detailing everything.

Wonderful that you contacted him!    Great news!    

Now, as I just posted in post #54 I suggest that you send a "Tweet" to the Twitter account of the company that sold you the phone and also that you post on their Facebook page. DHL Express is one part of this, the Seller is the other. Hopefully, other people will see what they are doing (or not doing) for you   with this issue.

Yes, it is "only" a phone, but it is a very expensive phone and you worked your tail off to buy it and here you are the victim in this.

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 3

After sending Mr. Hewitt an email, I heard back from an Executive Response and Social Customer Care person within 30 minutes asking for the tracking number.  Let's see where this goes...

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 14

After sending Mr. Hewitt an email, I heard back from an Executive Response and Social Customer Care person within 30 minutes asking for the tracking number. Let's see where this goes.

That's good news!

Thanks to Lanny for all of his detailed suggestions. :hurray: I hope I never need to use them, but it's good to know what steps to follow.

• Like 6

If it doesn't work, file a dispute with your credit card company and warn everyone involved in investigating that's what you're going to do.  Sometimes companies will fold because after multiple credit card disputes, the companies will refuse to service them anymore.  The insurance gets expensive when you don't deliver as promised multiple times.

• Like 7

After sending Mr. Hewitt an email, I heard back from an Executive Response and Social Customer Care person within 30 minutes asking for the tracking number.  Let's see where this goes...

Wonderful!    I have my fingers crossed!

I am a total "Newbie" on Twitter. So far, I've sent about 24 Tweets. Yesterday, I sent a Tweet to a company.  This morning, I got an email from Twitter, telling me that someone had Retweeted my Tweet to that company. Sometimes, things go "Viral", by many people Retweeting them. That was my first Retweet.  For some Tweets, there are *many* Retweets and they go "Viral".

This is the Twitter for the company you bought the phone from:  @oneplus

This is the Facebook for the company you bought the phone from.  https://www.facebook.com/oneplusofficial

If you send them a short message, on Twitter and on Facebook, possibly they will take note of your issue and send you another phone or refund your money.  

Do it today, Thursday.  Not good to ask for help on Mondays or on Fridays. Wednesday is the best day to ask for help.

• Like 3

My son has that phone and loves it :)

• Like 2

UPDATE!!

DHL has emailed me each day since I contacted Mr. Hewitt.  Today I received an email confirming that my phone was, in fact, delivered to the WRONG address.  The courier attempted recovery yesterday but no one was home so a notice was left to contact DHL.  The courier is going back there today to attempt recovery. I feel a sense of relief now that they know what happened to the phone.  Thank you all so much for supporting me and guiding me, especially Lanny.  I don't think I would have gotten this far without Lanny's advice.  Will continue to update...

• Like 38

UPDATE!!

DHL has emailed me each day since I contacted Mr. Hewitt. Today I received an email confirming that my phone was, in fact, delivered to the WRONG address. The courier attempted recovery yesterday but no one was home so a notice was left to contact DHL. The courier is going back there today to attempt recovery. I feel a sense of relief now that they know what happened to the phone. Thank you all so much for supporting me and guiding me, especially Lanny. I don't think I would have gotten this far without Lanny's advice. Will continue to update...

Have they said what they'll do if they can't retrieve the package?

• Like 4

@LadyR    Excellent!    Thank you for sharing the good news!   This is progress.  I hope the DHL Messenger can recover the package and that it has not been opened.  If it was opened, then you need to contact Mr. Hewitt, again, and have DHL Express return it to the company you bought it from, and have the company you bought it from send you another phone, in a factory sealed package.

Let the company you bought it from know what happened to the phone and that this is still a work-in-progress.

God willing, next week, you will have the new phone you worked so hard to buy!  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 5

Have they said what they'll do if they can't retrieve the package?

legally they've admitted in their email THEY are at fault for misdelivering it.  they have to make it right. and if they're smart, they wont' fuss about doing it.   she's connected.  mawahwahwhaha.

• Like 4

Now I would start pushing for a new phone to be delivered and when DHL retrieves it they can send it back to the seller.  Who knows how long it will take before these people answer their door, and if they do, what the chances are that it will be unopened and originally sent.   The fact that the person with your phone never contacted DHL is mighty suspicious.   You don't want DHL to put you off for two weeks while they knock on this door every two weeks.  

• Like 7

Now I would start pushing for a new phone to be delivered and when DHL retrieves it they can send it back to the seller.  Who knows how long it will take before these people answer their door, and if they do, what the chances are that it will be unopened and originally sent.   The fact that the person with your phone never contacted DHL is mighty suspicious.   You don't want DHL to put you off for two weeks while they knock on this door every two weeks.  

I agree with this.  It's time for them to send you a new phone, and they can deal with the return once the person who received it answers their door.  Not that you can do much to make DHL do the right thing!  

Glad that you've made progress and the phone has been semi-found.

Hoping that your new phone is in your hands soon.

• Like 2

What about the people to whom it was misdelivered? They had to have know it came to them in error. Shame on them for not doing the right thing.

No kidding. When I've received packages that weren't mine, I've either hand delivered them to the right address or called the delivery company. Within a few hours. I don't hold someone's package hostage. 

• Like 3

+1 and Amen...  I hope the OP will read what you wrote and contact the Seller and DHL Express to do that, on Monday morning...

• Like 2

What about the people to whom it was misdelivered? They had to have know it came to them in error. Shame on them for not doing the right thing.

Just adding this as a possibility- they might not know either due it being stolen from their porch/front step or they are on vacation and someone else just collects the mail and put it on the table.

We have had the second happen to us. Neighbor got a package by mistake of ours. Her house sitter just collected the mail and put it on the table. The neighbor returned our package two weeks later.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

Just adding this as a possibility- they might not know either due it being stolen from their porch/front step or they are on vacation and someone else just collects the mail and put it on the table.

We have had the second happen to us. Neighbor got a package by mistake of ours. Her house sitter just collected the mail and put it on the table. The neighbor returned our package two weeks later.

I definitely hope it turns out to be something understandable like that. You're right. There are other circumstances that could be at play.

• Like 1

That is the best option, but even then it will likely be a bit before they come home.  

• Like 1

Now I would start pushing for a new phone to be delivered and when DHL retrieves it they can send it back to the seller. Who knows how long it will take before these people answer their door, and if they do, what the chances are that it will be unopened and originally sent. The fact that the person with your phone never contacted DHL is mighty suspicious. You don't want DHL to put you off for two weeks while they knock on this door every two weeks.

This. DHL didn't deliver it and you have proof. The company needs to ship you another one, and they're the ones who need to deal with DHL's incompetence, not you!

• Like 7

This. DHL didn't deliver it and you have proof. The company needs to ship you another one, and they're the ones who need to deal with DHL's incompetence, not you!

I agree. Having you wait while DHL tries to find the phone is Not Cool.

I would be pitching a fit!!!

• Like 2

UPDATE #2: And itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not pretty.  See if you can make any sense out of this.  Sorry itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s long.

In my last update I said that DHL confirmed that my phone was delivered to the incorrect address. These are quotes from the emails I received:

Thursday:  Ă¢â‚¬Å“At this time, we are attempting recovery of your shipment. I am very sorry this has happened and as soon as I have more information I will let you know.Ă¢â‚¬

Friday:  Ă¢â‚¬Å“Our courier attempted recovery yesterday, however there was no one home, and left a notice to contact DHL. Our courier will be going by the location again, today to attempt recovery. I will keep you updated and let you know as soon as more information is available.  Please let me know if you have any questions.Ă¢â‚¬

My response to that email: Ă¢â‚¬Å“So it is confirmed that my phone was delivered to the incorrect address?Ă¢â‚¬

Her response: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Yes, it was delivered to an incorrect address.  Please let me know if you have any questions.Ă¢â‚¬

That was Friday. I sent an email today (Monday) asking if the courier was able to successfully retrieve my package.  This was the email I got back: Ă¢â‚¬Å“Upon speaking to our courier, he has confirmed making delivery to your address and leaving the shipment. Our courier has mentioned that he has been attempting to recover from your address and no one has been home. He also mentioned leaving notices for you to contact DHL. Have you received any notices on your door?Ă¢â‚¬

I am in disbelief.  So I call her voice mail and leave a message that she is in error.  I tell her that I am the person who is missing the package, it wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t delivered to me but to an incorrect address and the courier is trying to recover it from that incorrect address, not mine.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m the one who didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t receive the package.  I then send her an email explaining everything again.  And then she calls me a few minutes later.  She explains that the courier is saying that the package was delivered to the correct address, my house.  So I go through the whole thing again saying I received emails saying it was delivered to the incorrect address.  And why would the courier attempt to recover the package from my own house anyway?  She asks if the courier left a notice on my door because I wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t home.  No.  No. No.  We were all home the last several days (husband is sick) and no one came to my door or left a notice on Thursday, Friday or any other day.  I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t even make this up - as IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m talking to her the DHL truck pulls up to my house and the guy rings my doorbell.  He tells us that he did deliver the package and left it at the front door.  He said he didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t ring the doorbell to ask for a signature because if itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a nice neighborhood he just leaves the package.  So heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s saying it was stolen from my front step.  I was still on the phone with DHL who is listening to everything (being recorded also) and while my husband stepped outside to speak with the guy I tell her that he canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be telling the truth.  There is no way I can be told it was delivered to the wrong address, they tried to recover the package for 2 days, and then say it was delivered to the correct address but stolen from the front step.  Where did they go the 2 days they tried to recover the package?  They didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t come to my house! None of that makes sense.  Someone was home every day they are saying they have come to my house.

She tells me that she believes me and that they are in no way saying that I am lying, they will deal with some of these things internally and take appropriate action.  She is contacting DHL in China today to start a claim with OnePlus stating that the package is lost.  She will email me tomorrow with a reference number.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m to contact OnePlus with that reference number.  I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know whether to request a refund or a new phone.  IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so tired of dealing with this.  Thank you, if you have read all this.

• Like 3

So what kind of phone does the delivery guy have?  Hate to be thinking that way but that is where my mind goes.  

I would be the biggest pest ( use other word that fits your mood) and be calling every hour until I got a refund for it.  It is not the first time they have bumbled up a delivery. DHL has a long history with it.

• Like 4

So what kind of phone does the delivery guy have?  Hate to be thinking that way but that is where my mind goes.  

I would be the biggest pest ( use other word that fits your mood) and be calling every hour until I got a refund for it.  It is not the first time they have bumbled up a delivery. DHL has a long history with it.

My husband thinks the driver stole it. I have had countless deliveries here over the last 15 years or so and nothing has ever been stolen when left outside.  OnePlus has insisted that I have the phone because the tracking stated delivered and signed.  So hopefully with this reference number DHL is supposed to be giving me tomorrow it will prove to them that I don't have it.

• Like 4

Notice how they originally said that they got a signature but just couldn't find it?   But, now the delivery guy is saying that he didn't even ring the bell?   

One of them has to be a lie

Exactly. Were they lying when they said they got the signature and couldn't find it? Or were they lying when the guy said he didn't ring the bell? Either way, someone at the company is lying.

• Like 2

Based on my experience with being given the runaround, It's time to escalate at DHL. Ask for a supervisor, then ask if the person has the authority to solve the problem right now. If not, ask for a person who does have that authority. Accept nothing else. Prepare a one or two sentence summary of the problem and only give that until you talk to someone who has authority to resolve the issue. Don't waste your time giving a detailed account to each person you talk to. Don't accuse anyone of lying. Calmly state the issue and how it needs to be resolved.

Recontact the person at OnePlus and state that DHL is giving you the runaround, that the problem is not resolved and no concrete steps have been taken to resolve the problem.

• Like 3

OP   I am sorry this has taken such a bad turn, again.  I think that you should compose another, VERY SHORT MESSAGE, to the CEO of DHL Express in the USA, with the most pertinent facts of what has transpired.   

Possible suggestion:  Write a SHORT BUT COMPLETE SUMMARY of everything that happened. State, several times, that you do not have the phone and that you have never had the phone.

When it is ready, go to your bank and have it Notarized.  Then, send that to the CEO of DHL Express in the USA and also to the company you purchased the phone from.

Request that the Seller notify the cell providers in the USA to BLOCK THE IMEI number of that phone.  If you in fact, you had the phone, you would not request they do that, because that would make the phone unusable.

I am sad that you are going through all of this.

• Like 2

@LadyR  This is a Follow-On to my prior post in this thread. I was in the Kitchen, telling my wife about the sad twist this has taken.  When I was finishing my story, I realized that I had not also suggested that you contact PayPal again.

I strongly suggest that you keep what you write as short as possible. Include the highlights, not all the details, so that if a different person takes up your case, they will not be totally confused.   If they want more details they can request them and you can provide them. 

So, I suggest:

(1) Contacting the CEO of DHL Express in the USA again

(2) Contacting the Seller again

(3) Contacting PayPal again

(4) Consider having a short statement Notarized and send that to the CEO of DHL Express in the USA, the Seller, and to PayPal

(5) Ask the Seller to notify the Cell service providers in the USA to BLOCK the IMEI number of the phone, if it is a GSM phone, or the ESN if it is a CDMA phone. (If you actually had the phone, you would not ask them to do that, because that would make the phone unusable)

NOTE: Always include the DHL Tracking Number and the Order Number and the Case Number you have from DHL Express (if you have one)

• Like 3

Notice how they originally said that they got a signature but just couldn't find it? But, now the delivery guy is saying that he didn't even ring the bell?

One of them has to be a lie

If the delivery guy signed, they got a sig. No lie.

If the delivery guy stole it (my money), he wouldn't have rang the bell. Also no lie.

They're covering their posteriors. I'd start with bbb, or your local news people helper. They love salacious stuff like this.

• Like 3

Just be careful about saying or implying the delivery guy stole it. That would be slander.

But, I'd definitely be doing the twitter CEO thing again. And again. And again.

And DHL needs to contact the company ASAP to let them know to send you a new phone (by another carrier)! I would DEMAND it.

• Like 1

@LadyR I hope that you will do what I suggested in my previous post early on Tuesday morning. I don't know which state you live in but early Wednesday morning I would begin the process in Small Claims Court

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

My husband thinks the driver stole it. I have had countless deliveries here over the last 15 years or so and nothing has ever been stolen when left outside.  OnePlus has insisted that I have the phone because the tracking stated delivered and signed.  So hopefully with this reference number DHL is supposed to be giving me tomorrow it will prove to them that I don't have it.

Suggestion: Send a message to OnePlus, via PayPal, asking them to tell the cell service providers in the USA to block the IMEI number of that phone (if it is a GSM phone) or the ESN number (if it is a CDMA phone).  That will render the phone useless.

That should show OnePlus and PayPal that YOU DO NOT HAVE the phone.  You would not do that, if you had the phone, because that will render the phone useless.

• Like 3

I just read (skimmed) the OnePlus.net legal stuff and tried to find out if they have an address in the USA. I could not find that information, but it may be somewhere I did not look.  Troubling... https://oneplus.net/privacy-and-legal

OP I would be *VERY* concerned if I was in your shoes.  I believe you should update PayPal about the run around you are getting from DHL Express in the USA, and that  OnePlus is (apparently) doing nothing to help you. DO THAT IMMEDIATELY! 

I would (via the PayPal Messaging System for this issue) request OnePlus to: Block the IMEI number (or ESN number if it is a CDMA phone) of the phone they sent to you and that they report that phone as Stolen During Shipment to you.  That will show OnePlus and PayPal that you do not have the phone. If you had the phone, you would want to be able to use it, and rendering it useless is not something you would request them to do...

I would probably call the phone number listed on the OnePlus.Net web site to see if you can get them to send you another phone, today. Worth a try, if it is a toll-free number.

I would at all times, try to be courteous and polite, with the people you are trying to get to help you. I would not extend that courtesy and politeness to the DHL Express Messenger, if he comes back to your house or calls you.  With the exception of the DHL Messenger, none of the other people are guilty of losing or stealing your phone.  

• Like 2

Possibly they have an office in the USA, I suspect they do, so they can handle Warranty Repairs. This list of job openings doesn't show any locations in the USA.

https://oneplus.net/careers

If they are overseas, in China probably, that's OK, if they help you like ZenniOptical, which I'm almost positive is in China, helps their customers.

If they abandon you, they are sewage

@Lady R this is from the Google SERPs

OnePlus is a Chinese smartphone manufacturer founded in December 2013. It is headquartered in Shenzhen, Guangdong. Apart from mainland China, the company serves 42 countries and regions around the world as of March 2016. Wikipedia

CEO: Pete Lau (Dec 17, 2013Ă¢â‚¬â€œ)
Founded: December 16, 2013, China
Revenue: 300 million USD (2014)

In addition to China, they seem to also have operations in Europe and in India. 

Sadly, I do not believe they are going to help you, based on the contacts you have reported with them, in this thread.

I believe your best bet is to spend your time with PayPal and with DHL Express.

Probably you had other things you needed and wanted to do, before this issue came up...

This is the URL for their Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnePlus

GL with this issue!

That's assuming they know they have a misdelivered package. Charitably thinking, maybe they get so many packages -- and procrastinate on opening them.  I mean they "know" that package is their kid's Easter gift, no hurry to open it now. So they don't actually realize they have one that is not to them.  (I have a stack of boxes in my room at the moment that I have not opened yet. My in-laws were asking me if I'd gotten something from them yet and I had to go through the stack to notice that  -- oops. One was from them and should be opened sooner)

• Like 1