Menu

Delivery company claims item delivered. It wasn't! Now what?

LadyR

I don't usually splurge on myself, but for months I was able to save up enough to be able to order a new smartphone I've wanted for a long time.  The delivery service the company used was DHL Express and they are saying the package was delivered and signed for but I never received it!!  I was tracking the delivery online and we were on the lookout all day for a delivery truck. Then I got an email saying it was delivered and even listed the time of delivery.  No truck ever came to my house, no one ever came to my door.  But they are insisting that it was delivered to my address and signed for.  The package is nowhere.  My husband drove to the post office the next day thinking that perhaps it may have been left there.  Nope.  The company I ordered the phone from and the delivery company say they are investigating while still insisting the package was delivered and signed for.  I've asked for a copy of the signature they claim to have gotten, but have only received a Proof of Delivery which just says "Signed" with no physical signature showing.  It's been 4 days and no answers yet.  I'm so upset!  I paid with Paypal.  What recourse do I have?

• Like 1

File an issue on your PayPal account.  If you bought it on eBay, file an issue on eBay.     You said DHL Express and that is THE DHL  company and if I was sending a critical document from Colombia to the USA, that would be my #1 choice.  DHL Express would not turn your item over to the USPS.  You wrote that your DH went to the Post Office, 

I would demand that DHL furnish you (via email) with a legible copy of the signed delivery receipt.  

I would be raising hell.   GL

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 8

I would start demanding to see this so-called "signature". then you can show it is not *your* signature.

while it is possible they delivered to the wrong address (we had someone's christmas present delivered to our house.  on dec 23. thinking it was on of the my boxes, i started opening it before I noticed the wrong address.) - it's also possible one of their employees stole it.  (especially if they knew it was a phone.)

eta: if they continue to refuse to give you a copy of the *signature* - I would start filing claims with the bbb - and possibly your state attorney's office, or whomever over sees that stuff.

I would also contact paypal and let them know - no matter what your seller/delivery person says - you did NOT receive  the merchandise.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

Why those companies don't have GPS marking in them when someone makes a signature (or even when a delivery is recorded) is beyond me.

We had a package not delivered and I called the vendor and they squared it away in 10 minutes. Let the manufacturer and the shipper duke it out--don't tick off your customer.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'll bet there is a pretty high theft rate in smartphones. The company that shipped my son's phone to us used a very plain and unidentified brown box, I am sure to discourage theft.

UGH.

You can also tell DHL you're calling the police. If it was delivered and someone was inside your house and signed, the delivery guy was witness to the felony breaking and entering and robbery. Much bigger crimes than a misdemeanor theft...

File with PayPal. Push DHL for signature--don't forget social media for more attention. File a police report if necessary. The police may know of a pattern.

• Like 4

DHL is the worst! We had to call and complain because they were leaving our packages in the ditch across the road instead of dropping them off at our house. It was crazy! Who just leaves a package lying in the ditch? I'm guessing the driver was just throwing them out as he drove by. Luckily, they don't seem to deliver much in this area anymore.

Good luck with your phone. I would raise a stink with both the seller and Paypal.

• Like 3

Ugh. I'm so angry.  Just got an email from the company and they say "your parcel was successfully delivered to the correct address and unfortunately we don't have a copy of the signature..."  So I opened up a case with Paypal and the first step was to type a message to the company in the space they provided.  So I emphatically stated, again, that I didn't receive or sign for the package, and the reason that DHL cannot produce my signature is because they didn't get it!!!  And if DHL could not produce my signature, why would they still believe that they delivered it?

But...  Paypal states this on their policy:  "If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller for an Item Not Received claim even if you did not receive the goods."  So the company will produce the Proof of Delivery form saying it was delivered and signed (but there's no actual signature) and I won't get my money back or my phone.  :(

Also, I told both the company and the delivery company that I wanted a copy of the signature to bring to the police since if they insist that the package was signed for, then it was signed fraudulently.  (But the truth is they have no signature.)  I also told them I would contact the Better Business Bureau. 

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 3

I had this happen with an item we ordered from Amazon.  I reported the item missing to Amazon, and they sent me another one.  My item was inexpensive, but if the company you bought from is reputable and large enough, they may have some recourse built in.  

I've always had good customer service from amazon when I've had issues. - even with the third party sellers - they go through amazon, they have to answer to amazon and amazon can/will enforce their rules.

• Like 7

Why those companies don't have GPS marking in them when someone makes a signature (or even when a delivery is recorded) is beyond me.

Actually they DO have GPS coordinates for where the worker was when the package was delivered. At least USPS does, and they're so cruddy that I would think other major vendors do that too. 

I had a package marked as delivered that was not delivered to my house. I think it was an amazon package that was sent FedEx Smart Ship and ended up going through USPS, grr. Anyways, called the local post office, which gave me the coordinates. We punched them into a website and could instantly tell where the package had been delivered. I went to that person's house. Now WHY that person didn't bother to give me my package or return it to the mailbox is a good question. ;) 

So anyways, yes they probably have coordinates for where the handheld device was when the package was marked delivered.

• Like 5

I had a similar situation in which we were expecting our school tech equipment (three iPads and two laptops). We were waiting all that for the delivery...when I receive an email notification that it was just delivered. Checked the doorstep - no boxes. Check the delivery link and see my daughter's forged signature. I called the delivery company in a panic and start to look on the doorsteps of our neighbors to see if it were misdelivered. Turns out the driver left it on the doorstep two streets over!!

Have you gone as high at DHL as you can? Made a stink on Twitter or Facebook? Raise the issue: what is the point of requiring a signature if they aren't going to keep it?

• Like 5

Ugh. I'm so angry. Just got an email from the company and they say "your parcel was successfully delivered to the correct address and unfortunately we don't have a copy of the signature..." So I opened up a case with Paypal and the first step was to type a message to the company in the space they provided. So I emphatically stated, again, that I didn't receive or sign for the package, and the reason that DHL cannot produce my signature is because they didn't get it!!! And if DHL could not produce my signature, why would they still believe that they delivered it?

But... Paypal states this on their policy: "If the seller presents evidence that they delivered the goods to your address, PayPal may find in favor of the seller for an Item Not Received claim even if you did not receive the goods." So the company will produce the Proof of Delivery form saying it was delivered and signed (but there's no actual signature) and I won't get my money back or my phone. :(

Also, I told both the company and the delivery company that I wanted a copy of the signature to bring to the police since if they insist that the package was signed for, then it was signed fraudulently. (But the truth is they have no signature.) I also told them I would contact the Better Business Bureau.

Tell them you can produce an equally valid form that says they did not, in fact, deliver the package.

How frustrating.

• Like 3

Have you dealt with the seller? To me this kind of stuff is between the seller and the carrier *they* hired to delivery something to a customer.

The seller needs to fulfill their obligation to the buyer...The carrier should not be the buyers problem.

Iiwm, I'd call the seller: "my thing hasn't arrived yet". Period.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

OP the PayPal form says they "May" side with the Seller in this kind of situation. Hopefully, they will side with you, the Buyer.  I would search the DHL web site and try to find the name and title of the CEO or someone big in their USA operation and I would send a FAX, free, via https://faxzero.com/  Short, courteous and friendly, with all of the pertinent information. 

If you purchased from an eBay Seller, I would start a thing with them to.

If DHL cannot produce a legible signature form, with your signature or that of someone in your house, that would seem to strengthen your case. 

I have purchased lots of things on Amazon and on eBay that were sent via DHL GlobalMail to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami. Those items are generally lower value items and are all delivered via USPS.  ALL of those DHL GlobalMail packages, and ALL of the items that were sent by FedEx SmartPost and the UPS service that is like that, have been delivered OK.

In your case, if I understand correctly, it was not sent via DHL GlobalMail, but by a service one might assume (incorrectly) is less problematic.

Hang in there and keep after them. I hope you will get your phone or your money, ASAP.  

ETA: We live in a huge rural subdivision and there is an HOA.  A couple of times, I've seen "Delivered" on the Tracking and it turned out they had been delivered to our HOA office and signed for there. Do you have a HOA office where the package might have been delivered?

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 2

@LadyR      Message the Seller, with a copy to PayPal, or, this is better, via PayPal, and TELL THEM TO report the IMEI phone number of the phone they shipped to you as STOLEN. (I assume that it is a GSM phone and if so it has an IMEI number).  Hopefully, they have a record of the IMEI number in their system and can do that.

Also, tell DHL to report the package as STOLEN NOT DELIVERED

DHL is a German based company.  They merged with (or bought) Airborne Express.  When our Receiver/Forwarder sends freight from Miami to Bogota, it goes on ABX Air, and most of the cargo is for DHL.  They have a USA HQ which I would Google for, but I need to leave the house now.

• Like 2

I'm loving Lanny's instructions!!  Hope you get a resolution!!!

Thank you. :laugh:  When we are on the Receiving end of things here in Colombia, they do not just leave them somewhere, like they (apparently) do so often in the USA. My wife and I have a great impression of DHL, but apparently, in the USA,  DHL is not so great, from what I am reading in this thread.  Here, with tiny things and envelopes, especially with one of the larger companies, they are frequently left with the Secretary in the HOA office, but at least they are in a place we know about...The problem is that these companies task their Messengers with delivering huge numbers of packages and envelopes every day and the Messengers cannot deliver that volume of items. 

This has not happened for many years, but a couple of times, my wife told someone in a company we were having problems with, "If you cannot straighten this out for us, my Husband will not speak with your Supervisor, he will contact the President of your company".   She was not kidding...  If someone contacts the President of a company that values their customers, his/her Secretary will tell the appropriate person to help the customer.  The appropriate person will assume that the President told the Secretary to tell them that.  

ETA: That did happen more recently. With Directv Colombia.  I sent Faxes, several times, to the President or CEO of Directv in California. After that, someone from Directv Colombia called us and worked with us.  And with Netflix, but in that case, it was a problem with our Internet speed.  To my astonishment, a woman called me from the Netflix HQ in California and she was from Colombia.  She knew, from what I'd sent in my FAX, that the problem was with our Internet service and she was correct.  We happily divorced Directv Colombia, when the phone company began offering TV service (TV over IP), :hurray:  and we are still happy Netflix customers.  

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

I had this happen once and it was either with DHL or FedEx, I can't remember, but I did post about it here.  Anyway I called and demanded to see the signature, turns out the driver "accidentally" signed when he put it in the delivery pile or some other such nonsense.  They ended up delivering it the next day.  

• Like 2

Accidentally, yeah, anyone believe that?  (crickets)

While we are playing the unbelievable statements game, Anyone believe that a signature was actually obtained and now is genuinely unavailable?   (crickets)

Either it wasn't obtained or the handwriting looks JUST like the drivers.   

------------------------------------------

I'd had one package that I was waiting on.  Eagerly.   I was checking the delivery status regularly.  I think it was FedEx or UPS.   I happened to check half hour after they claimed it was delivered.  I'd been home with the front door open (screen door locked) and no package on front stoop.  it had been one requiring signature.   I contacted the delivery company and got the run-around.   I contacted Amazon, and *bam* I get a call-back from a delivery company supervisor.  My package was put on the wrong truck and the delivery driver was miles away minutes before and after my package was 'signed' for.  Personally, I think that should have been a fire-able offense.     

• Like 6

Wow!  Thank you so much for all your stories and suggestions.  Lanny, thank you!  I copied and saved all your information to my computer.  The latest today:  I got a call from DHL, the delivery company.  Basically they have done nothing since I spoke to them last week but they said they are "escalating" the investigation and sending it to a supervisor. (I think I was supposed to get excited over that.)  I was told that the next step would be for them to talk to the driver and ask him to describe where they delivered the package. Umm, they haven't done that yet???  And first of all, how would the driver remember that from last week.  Secondly, all he would have to do is put my address in Google Earth and get a picture of my house to describe it.   I also asked if the signature was taken electronically or if it was a paper/form that was signed.  Guess what?  She admitted that they did not have a signature but that it said "authorized by receiver".   So I again contacted the company I bought the phone from to give them that piece of information.  They are waiting to hear from DHL, but really both companies are dragging their feet.  DHL is supposed to call me back in two days.  If I'm not satisfied with what they say, then I'll start with Lanny's suggestions.

• Like 2

I guess I'm hoping that when they call in two days they will tell me they found my package.  Wishful thinking, perhaps...

Just file with PayPal now if you haven't already.  If you get your phone, you can cancel the claim, but they will drag this out and you will lose your opportunity to get your money back if you haven't filed.  I would actually file and escalate the claim immediately, and the company will solve the problem or you will get your money back.

• Like 7

I guess I'm hoping that when they call in two days they will tell me they found my package.  Wishful thinking, perhaps...

Escalating won't stop them from "finding" your package.   It might motivate them to look for it.   It could be jammed in a corner under a bench and no one has bothered to look for it, since no one has actually talked to the driver.  Being quiet will give them the idea that maybe if they put you off long enough, you'll go away.   They like that idea.  

• Like 4

Do you have Twitter? People reach out to companies for situations like this on twitter all the time. It's very public and they want good publicity, so it gets someone to jump start your investigation.

I just looked- they have a Twitter for help too. You have to be persistent and demand they find it. I would go to a local office too. (If there is one near you. I didn't realize that DHL still existed.)

• Like 2

@LadyR    IMO you should update the thing you began on PayPal.com *immediately*  Tell them what DHL Express told you.  Tell them that you told the Seller to notify the cell providers to Block the IMEI number of the phone that was shipped to you (I'm assuming it is a GSM phone, if it is a CDMA phone I think that is called an ESN number).  If you had actually received a cell phone, you would not be  asking/telling the Seller to block the IMEI number, which would make the phone unusable.  That request should make it clear to the Seller, and also  to PayPal, that you do not, in fact, have that cell phone.  

Also, contact the CEO of DHL Express. He (or actually, his staff) are waiting to hear from you). That should also be done *immediately*. Today is Wednesday. Wednesday is the best day to do things like this.

The phone has either been lost, delivered to the wrong person or stolen. None of those are your fault. They are the fault of DHL Express.

By coincidence, my wife tried to buy a Motorola phone, on the web site of the Superstore where we buy our unlocked cell phones, 11 days ago. Due to a glitch on their web site form (it said they could not ship to where we live, which is ridiculous), she could not complete the purchase online and she and DD went to the store the next day and bought a better ( a little more $ and a lot better specs) phone for DD in the store. So, I had been thinking, what would I do, if they had shipped the phone to us and we did not receive it, as is your case.  My best defense against them claiming that we had the phone would be to ask them to notify the cell  providers here in Colombia to block the IMEI number of the phone they  shipped to us, because then the phone could not be used...  If we had received the phone, we would want DD to be able to use it....    DD ended up with a *much* better phone, for about USD$40 more, so this worked out well for us, but it was a PITA having to go back and forth to their store.

• Like 1

Do you have Twitter? People reach out to companies for situations like this on twitter all the time. It's very public and they want good publicity, so it gets someone to jump start your investigation.

I just looked- they have a Twitter for help too. You have to be persistent and demand they find it. I would go to a local office too. (If there is one near you. I didn't realize that DHL still existed.)

Yes. My wife is a believer in this. A couple of times, we have gone onto Facebook and done this. I am just getting into Twitter (I am learning how to use it and I've sent about 21 Tweets) but *everyone* of any importance is on Twitter.  Facebook or Twitter. YES!

DHL is a huge company. based in Germany The German Post Office?   They bought or merged with Airborne Express in the USA and my guess is that their Domestic U.S. operation is based on the former Airborne Express network. Our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami ships their cargo to Colombia on ABX Air which was formerly Airborne Express.  Most of the cargo they haul is for DHL. 

I would be aggressive with this and not delay, because the longer the OP delays, the increased risk that PayPal will not refund the $.  

Is it a large volume seller or an individual?  

Apparently it was not purchased  on eBay, where there would be more protection.

Amazon doesn't accept PayPal so I know it wasn't purchased on Amazon. 

The other side of this is that there are a lot of Buyers who scam Sellers, so the Seller does need to be cautious, and PayPal too, but in this case the OP is fortunate because it is a cell phone and it has an IMEI number (if it is a GSM phone) or an ESN number (if it is a CDMA phone) and can be deactivated, if the Seller reports to the providers that the phone has been stolen.

If the OP requests the Seller to block the IMEI or ESN of the phone and render it useless, that should indicate to the Seller and to PayPal that the OP does not have the phone she purchased.  Assume the phone is lost, stolen, or was delivered to the wrong party, who now has a new phone.

• Like 3

The company I bought the phone from is OnePlus and I ordered the phone directly from their website.  They shipped immediately so my problem isn't with them, it's with the DHL delivery company.  I just went back on Paypal to update.  Since they had me contact the seller through them (even though I've been in contact with the seller through emails) I wanted Paypal to have a record of everything transpiring between the seller and me.  I requested that OnePlus block  the IMEI number of the phone shipped to me if DHL cannot find my phone.  DHL is contacting me tomorrow and if I'm not satisfied with what they tell me then I'll escalate it further with Paypal. 

I've been in contact daily with OnePlus (seller) but they are just waiting on DHL for information.  DHL is DRAGGING THEIR FEET and basically have done nothing to find my package so they are not giving OnePlus any updates.

Just thinking...  If OnePlus sends me a replacement phone, they'll use DHL again!  Can I have them send it to a drop off location like a UPS store?  Does UPS do that?

Edited by LadyR
  • Like 1

The company I bought the phone from is OnePlus and I ordered the phone directly from their website. They shipped immediately so my problem isn't with them, it's with the DHL delivery company. I just went back on Paypal to update. Since they had me contact the seller through them (even though I've been in contact with the seller through emails) I wanted Paypal to have a record of everything transpiring between the seller and me. I requested that OnePlus block the IMEI number of the phone shipped to me if DHL cannot find my phone. DHL is contacting me tomorrow and if I'm not satisfied with what they tell me then I'll escalate it further with Paypal.

I've been in contact daily with OnePlus (seller) but they are just waiting on DHL for information. DHL is DRAGGING THEIR FEET and basically have done nothing to find my package so they are not giving OnePlus any updates.

Just thinking... If OnePlus sends me a replacement phone, they'll use DHL again! Can I have them send it to a drop off location like a UPS store? Does UPS do that?

This really is the seller's problem. THEY should be dealing with DHL. I would insist that OnePlus send out another phone immediately. If DHL finds the package they can return it to OnePlus.

The seller has a contract with DHL, they should be pursuing things with DHL.

• Like 5

don't wait - do it now.   this was either lost by a driver not willing to figure things out - or the driver stole it.

escalate to show you are serious you want your item that you paid for - that will motivate them to find it.

• Like 2

@LadyR   this is copied from post #23 in this thread:

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 PM

@LadyR

"Provide Feedback directly to Greg Hewitt, CEO, DHL Express US"

Click on the link in the URL below and send him an email!

In the strongest possible terms, I suggest that you do that, immediately, this morning, Wednesday, 01 March 2017.  Also, Wednesday is *the* best day to try to get help with problems.  Do not try to get help on Mondays or Fridays...

OT: Years ago, I bought, among other things, 2 Epson Sytlus C82 printers, refrubished or rebuilt or something, directly from Epson in CA.  I had them and a bunch of other stuff shipped to a (late) friend in TX.  He had a discount with FedEx and shipped everything via FedEx Ground, to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami FL USA.  The Printers were both shipped in their original cartons and weighed probably 30 or 40 pounds, individually.  One day I got a call from our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami.  Was I really expecting two (2) printers?   I said "yes, there are 2 printers".  They had received one printer from FedEx.  My friend called FedEx and they found the other printer in a warehouse in the Tampa Bay area and got it to our Receiver/Forwarder.  My friend wondered, "how can they lose something that big?"  but I suspect when they have hundreds or thousands of cartons in a warehouse, it is easy to lose something.  Your cell phone is in a tiny carton and if it is lost somewhere in DHL, it will be much harder for them to locate than it was for FedEx to find our printer.

HOWEVER DHL TOLD YOU THAT IT WAS DELIVERED.  THEY ARE NOT TELLING YOU THAT IT WAS LOST IN SHIPMENT...  CONTACT GREG THIS MORNING!

• Like 1

Copied from post #30: "The company I bought the phone from is OnePlus and I ordered the phone directly from their website.  They shipped immediately so my problem isn't with them, it's with the DHL delivery company."

Actually, your primary problem is with DHL Express, the Shipping Carrier,  but OnePlus should, as others have noted, be going to bat for you, and trying to make you a happy camper. They are the secondary party, since they are the Seller and the Shipper of the item.

I would contact OnePlus, again, after sending a short, courteous and complete email to Greg the head of DHL Express in the USA.

OnePlus should be proactive with this issue and it sounds like their "Customer Support" in this case is completely unhelpful.

The worst case IMO is that this will not be resolved to your satisfaction and that you will need to sue DHL Express, in your local Small Claims Court, but everyone participating in this thread (and those viewing it) is hoping that you will get your phone or your money, without resorting to legal action.

• Like 2

Amazon does accept PayPal.  I've personally paid with this option.

I would be aggressive with this and not delay, because the longer the OP delays, the increased risk that PayPal will not refund the $.  

Apparently it was not purchased  on eBay, where there would be more protection.

Amazon doesn't accept PayPal so I know it wasn't purchased on Amazon. 

The other side of this is that there are a lot of Buyers who scam Sellers, so the Seller does need to be cautious, and PayPal too, but in this case the OP is fortunate because it is a cell phone and it has an IMEI number (if it is a GSM phone) or an ESN number (if it is a CDMA phone) and can be deactivated, if the Seller reports to the providers that the phone has been stolen.

If the OP requests the Seller to block the IMEI or ESN of the phone and render it useless, that should indicate to the Seller and to PayPal that the OP does not have the phone she purchased.  Assume the phone is lost, stolen, or was delivered to the wrong party, who now has a new phone.

Edited and removing wrongly worded portion...........

It is through a gift card.  Amazon itself doesn't accept Paypal.  A quick Google search will give specifics on how to do this.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 2

Amazon does accept PayPal. I've personally paid with this option.

:confused: Their website doesn't list PayPal as an option. Since PayPal is a direct competitor of Pay with Amazon, it doesn't make sense that they would allow this, but maybe there's a way to bypass that like buying a gift card with PayPal?

Edited by GalaxyGal
  • Like 2

:confused: Their website doesn't list PayPal as an option. Since PayPal is a direct competitor of Pay with Amazon, it doesn't make sense that they would allow this, but maybe there's a way to bypass that like buying a gift card with PayPal?

Should've been more specific.  Yes, it is through a ebates gift card.  I'll go back and modify previous post.

Eta:

I refuse to admit I thought the one click option was PayPal....  :leaving:

ETA:  What the ever loving heck?  It is SWAGBUCKS not ebates! I plan to bow out of the thread now.  Apparently I need more coffee or an internet break or something!  Maybe I'll just go buy something from Amazon.   :lol:

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Like 3

Really? When did they begin accepting PayPal?   I have a U.S. PayPal account so that's very interesting information. Thanks!

I went and looked again at adding payment options.  paypal is NOT on there, and I've never seen it.  there are other sites that occasionally will pop up with a paypal option - but those are smaller retailers.