Menu

If you wanted a makeover...

MaeFlowers

where would you go to get one?

I would like to change some things but have no idea where to start. When I try to shop for myself, I get frustrated by the amount of choices and have no idea what would look good on me.

For example, yesterday I went to the store to buy hair dye. I'm going gray and I'm not ready. I looked at all the colors and felt completely overwhelmed. I have no idea what color to buy for my skin tone and none of the colors seemed to match my natural color. I left so frustrated.

I do this with clothing and shoes and everything. I need some help and don't have anyone in real life to ask. I also don't trust salespeople because they just want to make a sale. I just need help.

I totally get it! It's really hard to know what to buy and what looks good on MY body. One thing I've done over the past year is to follow a couple of fashion blogger ladies. I don't know your age but I've been following a couple 'Fashion over Forty' bloggers and it has helped me to feel more confident in my clothing choices.

http://www.jolynneshane.com 

http://www.cyndispivey.com 

Both of these ladies have about the same coloring as me so that helps, too. This lady is in her thirties and blonde https://www.thesmallthingsblog.com I think she always looks good and has really good tutorials  on hair and makeup. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Do a little research and find out what cosmetic company markets to your demographic. They do have different targets and product. I'm in Estee Lauder territory headed for Merle Norman. (And I am out of date.). But the products differ chemically, physically and in color and you will be happier within your demo.

Then, when you know which company, go get a freebie at the make-up counter.

If you could find the gal who said to me, as I walked by her counter, "OH MY GAWD YOU NEED HELP!!" you would find good help. I think she is a VP at MAC now. Lol

Start with youtube and see if you can find someone who looks like you color-wise. This person may look twelve, but it's OK, you're only going to take some of her advice. Then, find someone on youtube your age who can give make-up technique and product brand advice. Don't be afraid of the male you-tubers. Some of them are magicians with make-up. If they can hide an Adam's apple, that technique is a keeper for hiding a double chin. Finally, find someone your body shape with a style you like and blatantly steal their look. They'll never find out. Find someone with your face shape whose hair you like. Know what shape your eyes are so you can google specific information. If you do this research before you step into a giant, confusing, overwhelming mall full of people who want to sell you stuff you will be better prepared for success.

• Like 1

I totally get it! It's really hard to know what to buy and what looks good on MY body. One thing I've done over the past year is to follow a couple of fashion blogger ladies. I don't know your age but I've been following a couple 'Fashion over Forty' bloggers and it has helped me to feel more confident in my clothing choices.

Both of these ladies have about the same coloring as me so that helps, too. This lady is in her thirties and blonde https://www.thesmallthingsblog.com I think she always looks good and has really good tutorials on hair and makeup. Hope this helps!

That's a good idea. The women you linked looked cute, but aren't good matches for me. I'll try and find some closer to my body type and coloring.

Do a little research and find out what cosmetic company markets to your demographic. They do have different targets and product. I'm in Estee Lauder territory headed for Merle Norman. (And I am out of date.). But the products differ chemically, physically and in color and you will be happier within your demo.

If you could find the gal who said to me, as I walked by her counter, "OH MY GAWD YOU NEED HELP!!" you would find good help. I think she is a VP at MAC now. Lol

I need her! I tend to avoid make-up counters because they tend to use way too much product. That and they always, always do the same look which is boring. I have brown eyes and fair skin which equals pink and brown every.single.time.

I would like to change some things but have no idea where to start. When I try to shop for myself, I get frustrated by the amount of choices and have no idea what would look good on me.

For example, yesterday I went to the store to buy hair dye. I'm going gray and I'm not ready. I looked at all the colors and felt completely overwhelmed. I have no idea what color to buy for my skin tone and none of the colors seemed to match my natural color. I left so frustrated.

I do this with clothing and shoes and everything. I need some help and don't have anyone in real life to ask. I also don't trust salespeople because they just want to make a sale. I just need help.

What's your natural hair color?

A very easy idea if you're not wanting to go gray is using Sun In. Once the hair is lightened where you want it, just spray the new growth. Lots of online how tos. Of course, if you're going to go lighter it's going to affect the hair by making it drier and possibly damaged. So using a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair and not going overboard with the Sun In will minimize that.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain
  • Like 1

Start with youtube and see if you can find someone who looks like you color-wise. This person may look twelve, but it's OK, you're only going to take some of her advice. Then, find someone on youtube your age who can give make-up technique and product brand advice. Don't be afraid of the male you-tubers. Some of them are magicians with make-up. If they can hide an Adam's apple, that technique is a keeper for hiding a double chin. Finally, find someone your body shape with a style you like and blatantly steal their look. They'll never find out. Find someone with your face shape whose hair you like. Know what shape your eyes are so you can google specific information. If you do this research before you step into a giant, confusing, overwhelming mall full of people who want to sell you stuff you will be better prepared for success.

I've looked for make-up videos. I like pixiwoo but they look nothing like me and are so pretty that they would look good in anything. I have unusual coloring so that's hard to find. I'll keep trying, though.

I think I have an oval face shape. If I remember, that means you can wear most any hair style. Eye shape I could never figure out. Body shape...I have no idea since I've gotten older. That's part of my problem. I can't assess my own shape and compare it to others.

As far as colors, the best thing I ever did was to have my colors done. This was very popular many years ago, not so much today, but boy howdy, now that I now that I'm a Summer, and what colors I can and cannot wear, I can shop much more efficiently: I know that I cannot wear warm colors (brown, gold, teal, orange, beige) or the really strong cool colors (black, shocking pink); I know what shades of makeup I can wear (true rose/pink, true red) and what I cannot wear (peachy/apricot/honey). Carole Jackson's "Color Me Beautiful" was what started it all.

For a quick-and-dirty way to figure out if your skin tone is warm or cool, you could try this: go to  a makeup counter where you can actually try stuff on; on one side of your face, put warm colors (peachy/apricot/tawny/honey blush, peachy/apricot/honey/tawny lipstick); on the other side of your face do cool colors (rose/pink blush, rose/pink/true red lipstick). If your skin tone is cool, the warm blush will look like clown cheeks, your lips will not look right; if your skin tone is warm, then the cool shades will look off. You'd still have to figure out if you're Summer or Winter (cools), or Spring or Autumn (warms), but at least you'd have a better idea of the colors of clothing and makeup that would look better.

I also had a couple of books that discussed clothing--what goes together, what doesn't, what's appropriate for what kind of event and what is not, and so on. I haven't looked at fashion stuff for a long time, but surely you could still find those at a book store. I also found the book "Dress for Success" to be helpful, even though it's geared more for professionals.

• Like 3

Hair: Unless you already have a stylist you totally love, I would ask around for recommendations for a good mid- to high-priced salon. It's way more expensive than diy, but worth it to get a flattering new style/color. About three years ago, I took a leap of faith and just put myself into a stylist's hands. When I went in, I told the gal that I needed a cut and color, that the only requirement I had was that it couldn't be time-consuming to style, and that I needed a change that would be flattering for my hair and face shape but had no idea what to do. She gave me a cute cut that suits the hair that I actually have and which I've worn pretty much ever since, except that I have gone even shorter. I have since gone to three different less expensive stylists (as they've moved or switched careers) who've kept the same basic idea/cut, given me new color suggestions, and showed me a few different ways to style my hair easily. It has been so worth the initial investment.

• Like 3

As far as makeup, I'd start out by doing it inexpensively and going for a free mini makeover at a makeup counter.  I like Origins, for example.  I've gone there twice for skin/makeup ideas, and they've always been really helpful.  

For hair, you can start out at a good hair salon in your town.  Often they will give you a free consultation.  They'll recommend a cut, a color maybe.  Don't go to one known for just young people;  get one that has a really good reputation for all ages.  You can always let them do the cut and color the first time, and then if you want to keep coloring on your own, you'll know what color to match (if you liked it!).  I'm not sure what to advise for clothes.  For some reason it's hardest for me to trust other people regarding fashion.  I usually trust my own instinct on that, and go to a store that tends to have what I like.  Or else I'll ask my dd's.  (Actually, my dh has pretty good taste too!)

Lots of great advice - love this thread!  I'll just add one thing that I discovered only recently (and I'm 43 years old!).  

For many years I was frustrated that no matter how hard I tried to do nice eye makeup designs, I never could get them to look quite right.  A few months ago I started googling for eye makeup designs based on eye shape and (duh!) figured out that I have hooded eyes.  (Some women develop hooded eyes as they age, but mine have always been that way, that's just their natural shape. Like Jennifer Lawrence's eyes, though I make no claims that mine are as pretty as hers!)  Once I started following the specific recommendations for my eye shape it made a HUGE difference.  Now I know how to put on eye makeup that is flattering, but also subtle and natural looking.  Not overly made-up, which is how I always ended up looking before.  

If you have a more common eye shape, this may not be of much help at all.  But if you have one of the less common eye shapes, maybe it will help you too.

• Like 5

Both of these ladies have about the same coloring as me so that helps, too. This lady is in her thirties and blonde https://www.thesmallthingsblog.com I think she always looks good and has really good tutorials  on hair and makeup. Hope this helps!

The clothing isn't bad, but man the shoes are terrible.  No human should wear them unless they enjoy pain.  LOL

• Like 1

I need her! I tend to avoid make-up counters because they tend to use way too much product. That and they always, always do the same look which is boring. I have brown eyes and fair skin which equals pink and brown every.single.time.

What color is your hair?

Is your skin tone yellow or pink or more neutral?

I have brown eyes and fair skin. My hair is a neutral, light brown. My skin tone is yellow on my neck but more pink on my face.

I can wear pretty much any makeup color palette. I sometimes wear warm colors, browns on my eyes, warm pink blush, and warm corals, reds, or nudes on my lips.

I also wear cool palettes, taupe or grey on my eyes, brighter pink blush, and Plum on my lips.

What you're describing at the makeup counter seems really outdated. I was a makeup artist for Estée Lauder 20 years ago and even back then we didn't over apply makeup.

I agree with finding a counter that suits your style.

Origins - a very natural look.

Clinique - generally for younger, less dry skin, less coverage in their foundations.

Estée Lauder - dryer (older) skin, more coverage.

And lots of other choices depending on the store you go to.

• Like 1

I always feel like I need to quote everyone but that gets crazy. So, I'll just try to respond to everything here.

Coloring. Bella Swan is pretty much my doppelganger (or at least my dh says so). I think my hair has gone a bit more golden the past few years, though. What makes the combo hard is that my hair and eyes are definitely warm, but according to all the skin tone quizzes online, my skin is cool. If I wear cool colors, my skin looks like porcelain but I often look too pale. Warm colors bring out imperfections and make me look tired. Brown eyeliner makes my eyes look older. I never could figure out where I fit into Color Me Beautiful and those types of programs because none of the color palettes seemed to fit.

Thinking about this, I looked at pictures from the movie to see what the wardrobe people put her in. That gave me some ideas for colors. I think they went a little drab, though, for the feel of the movie. Her make-up is pretty much pinks and browns, too. I guess I'm stuck with that one.

As for my hair, I have cut it myself for years. I pretty much wear long layers just like the Bella Swan character. I don't have a stylist. I was thinking about trying a different color but I think I will probably stay close to my natural color. Dh's aunt frosted my hair for me one time and I got so many compliments. She lives in another state so I went to the salon the next time. They fried my hair and the color was wrong. I am thinking about frosting it again and wondering if I could do the cap myself. Has anyone done this?

I always feel like I need to quote everyone but that gets crazy. So, I'll just try to respond to everything here.

Coloring. Bella Swan is pretty much my doppelganger (or at least my dh says so). I think my hair has gone a bit more golden the past few years, though. What makes the combo hard is that my hair and eyes are definitely warm, but according to all the skin tone quizzes online, my skin is cool. If I wear cool colors, my skin looks like porcelain but I often look too pale. Warm colors bring out imperfections and make me look tired. Brown eyeliner makes my eyes look older. I never could figure out where I fit into Color Me Beautiful and those types of programs because none of the color palettes seemed to fit.

Thinking about this, I looked at pictures from the movie to see what the wardrobe people put her in. That gave me some ideas for colors. I think they went a little drab, though, for the feel of the movie. Her make-up is pretty much pinks and browns, too. I guess I'm stuck with that one.

As for my hair, I have cut it myself for years. I pretty much wear long layers just like the Bella Swan character. I don't have a stylist. I was thinking about trying a different color but I think I will probably stay close to my natural color. Dh's aunt frosted my hair for me one time and I got so many compliments. She lives in another state so I went to the salon the next time. They fried my hair and the color was wrong. I am thinking about frosting it again and wondering if I could do the cap myself. Has anyone done this?

Sounds like you would look good in taupes and plums. There's all kinds of browns and pinks. You can wear cool brown instead of warm. Plum instead of pink. Etc.

I highlight my hair myself with a cap. I use (hair) bleach to pull the color out then use a Demi permanent color to tone and add color back.

• Like 1

Sounds like you would look good in taupes and plums. There's all kinds of browns and pinks. You can wear cool brown instead of warm. Plum instead of pink. Etc.

I highlight my hair myself with a cap. I use (hair) bleach to pull the color out then use a Demi permanent color to tone and add color back.

I think you are talking about make-up for colors? Are Urban Decay's taupe eyeliner or purple eyeliner good examples? (I hope the links work.)

Lots of great advice - love this thread!  I'll just add one thing that I discovered only recently (and I'm 43 years old!).  

For many years I was frustrated that no matter how hard I tried to do nice eye makeup designs, I never could get them to look quite right.  A few months ago I started googling for eye makeup designs based on eye shape and (duh!) figured out that I have hooded eyes.  (Some women develop hooded eyes as they age, but mine have always been that way, that's just their natural shape. Like Jennifer Lawrence's eyes, though I make no claims that mine are as pretty as hers!)  Once I started following the specific recommendations for my eye shape it made a HUGE difference.  Now I know how to put on eye makeup that is flattering, but also subtle and natural looking.  Not overly made-up, which is how I always ended up looking before.  

If you have a more common eye shape, this may not be of much help at all.  But if you have one of the less common eye shapes, maybe it will help you too.

I definitely have hooded eyes and mine are getting worse with age. I think I'm going to end up having to have the surgery at some point. I think it is probably why I could never really wear eye shadow because it just disappears when I open my eyes. Thank you for reminding me of this. I will go look for make-up tutorials for hooded eyes.

• Like 1

I've been trying to find which companies market to my age range (early forties). Estee Lauder seems to be 35-55 but I can't find any of the others. I know Clinique is not my skin type and never has been but I'm wondering about the others. I don't have a mall close to me  so I am going to have to go to a Sephora inside Penneys. Does anyone know what brands would be best there?

I definitely have hooded eyes and mine are getting worse with age. I think I'm going to end up having to have the surgery at some point. I think it is probably why I could never really wear eye shadow because it just disappears when I open my eyes. Thank you for reminding me of this. I will go look for make-up tutorials for hooded eyes.

I'm sure mine will get worse too. One of the numerous things about aging that I'm not looking forward to! The advice that I feel really helped me was to: 1. STOP putting a highlighter color under the brow (looks great on most women but makes hooded eyes look even more hooded). 2. Keep the eye shadow simple and subtle (one shade, applied in and just above the crease is all I really need) and 3. Emphasize lashes with a lengthening mascara and lash line with a *thin* line of eyeliner. I read some different (and even some contradictory) advice, but that was my overall take-away, and it worked.

• Like 1

You might want to look at Bare Minerals makeup. I had been wanting to try it & finally walked into one of their stores about a year ago & asked for a makeover & help. The lady who helped me was wonderful. She really listened to what I wanted, my issues, etc... & then worked w/in those parameters.

I've looked for make-up videos. I like pixiwoo but they look nothing like me and are so pretty that they would look good in anything. I have unusual coloring so that's hard to find. I'll keep trying, though.

I think I have an oval face shape. If I remember, that means you can wear most any hair style. Eye shape I could never figure out. Body shape...I have no idea since I've gotten older. That's part of my problem. I can't assess my own shape and compare it to others.

Try working off a photo of yourself.  It's hard to be objective about your real, living image in the mirror, but if you can compare face, eye, or body shape in your photo to those online it might be easier to see what your real shape is.  This is especially useful if you're very near-sighted because you tend to see your own face as a little longer than it really is.  I was convinced for ages that my round face was more oval because that's how it looked in the mirror.  In pictures it looks more round and I can SEE it better. For body shape you may be able to plug in measurements and get some help that way.

Start with "Dressing Your Truth".  I vastly prefer it to getting colours done.  The short principle is that you match your style to your "energy type."  (Personality type?)  So the bright, bubbly people wear bright, bubbly colours and styles that suit them.  And the quieter, softer people wear quieter, softer colours and styles....and so on.  It almost seems like a no-brainer once it's described that way, right?

So my friend is a soft, subtle type.  And I'm a rich, dynamic type.  She looks great in drapey grey scarves.  I look way better in a rust-coloured denim jacket with the sleeves pushed up.  And if I dressed like her, then when I actually spoke, people would be shocked because the impression my clothing gave wouldn't match the kinds of things I'd say...I now call DYT my early warning system.  LOL

https://my.liveyourtruth.com/dyt/home/

That's a place to start.  And once you know what type you are, in her system, then you can do your own makeover.

• Like 2

I'll put my vote in for the best hairdresser you can find, but maybe that's because I had such bad hair! I've never had good hair. I got a recommendation for a really great hairdresser who talked me into wearing it longer. I always thought I could wear shorter hair. But I'm taller and bigger, and I just look better with more hair. It's made all the difference to me.

I think you'll have good luck in Sephora. But if you can get to a high end department store, try Chanel or MAC. You don't have to buy their products, or maybe you'll splurge for one, but I think their makeup artists are the most qualified.

Start with "Dressing Your Truth".  I vastly prefer it to getting colours done.  The short principle is that you match your style to your "energy type."  (Personality type?)  So the bright, bubbly people wear bright, bubbly colours and styles that suit them.  And the quieter, softer people wear quieter, softer colours and styles....and so on.  It almost seems like a no-brainer once it's described that way, right?

So my friend is a soft, subtle type.  And I'm a rich, dynamic type.  She looks great in drapey grey scarves.  I look way better in a rust-coloured denim jacket with the sleeves pushed up.  And if I dressed like her, then when I actually spoke, people would be shocked because the impression my clothing gave wouldn't match the kinds of things I'd say...I now call DYT my early warning system.  LOL

That's a place to start.  And once you know what type you are, in her system, then you can do your own makeover.

Oh boy..wonder what my recommendations would be.  Black maybe....maybe goth...

I second this recommendation. DYT isn't just about having a makeover, it's about understanding how you present yourself to the world (and it will also help you understand other people - it's made a big difference in my family relationships).