Menu

4/5ths of my students are absent today

DawnM

To protest.

I hate to say this, but I am thankful for the break.

Trying not to get political, so I will make this all about ME!   :lol:  :driving:

The year that I was teaching at the Sorbonne Nouvelle in Paris, my students were on strike for part of the year.  I solemnly turned up for each class, but then escaped to enjoy Paris.  It was hard to be upset about the missing teaching hours.

• Like 15

Glad to see students taking an interest!  (Though I'm sure some will just want to join in because it's a day off.   ;)  )

When I worked in Los Angeles, we had walk outs.  We couldn't stop the students from walking out.  What I saw was about half of them cared and had a cause, the rest just walked out because they wanted to skip school.  I was glad they came for the attendance tally though as our school funds were based on attendance records taken during homeroom.

Here they just didn't come.    But the idea is different this time.  Whole families are staying home.  

• Like 3

Not unusual here, its the day before a four day weekend and ski prices arent jacked until tomorrow. The 18 inches of snow in the last week make it an attractive day to skip

Not unusual here, its the day before a four day weekend and ski prices arent jacked until tomorrow. The 18 inches of snow in the last week make it an attractive day to skip

Oh, I am sure they are showing their solidarity for the cause!   :lurk5:

Oh, I am sure they are showing their solidarity for the cause! :lurk5:

Lol. I don't think it matters too much. Everyone here is an immigrant, whether they are the generation that immigrated or a descendant. And its February, so those who most recently immigrated aren't here anyone..they spend the winter back home.

Lol. I don't think it matters too much. Everyone here is an immigrant, whether they are the generation that immigrated or a descendant. And its February, so those who most recently immigrated aren't here anyone..they spend the winter back home.

That isn't true here.  They don't leave for the winter.

And they are protesting more than just being an immigrant, but again, it is political.

As a WAHM, I'm super glad that the 3 immigrants and 1 first-generation American who live here all went to work / school!   :p

I didn't realize *today* was the day without an immigrant day until just a moment ago (after I took Celery to speech therapy at school... oops. I should've at least told everyone I saw in the hallway that I wasn't really there). I did just tell my wife (who is working from home for whatever reason again) that I shouldn't be here and that she should have to deal with the kids and just tell her employer she'll get less done because it's day without an immigrant.

But, realistically, if I leave the house without the kids, or just ignore them the rest of the day, she'll just turn on the TV for them, so it's not like that would be very useful.

So, anyhow... I'm not here today.

• Like 2

When I worked in Los Angeles, we had walk outs. I was glad they came for the attendance tally though as our school funds were based on attendance records taken during homeroom.

Here they checked after lunch too just for truancy records. The schools are not an open campus but not hard to sneak out of campus and skip class. I heard some schools were checked, maybe those high truancy ones.

We are at a state university campus tagging along a work trip. Campus is full of students and classrooms are full. The recreational center is definitely full of people on treadmills. It is raining here at Central Coast region.

• Like 2

Here they checked after lunch too just for truancy records. The schools are not an open campus but not hard to sneak out of campus and skip class. I heard some schools were checked, maybe those high truancy ones.

We are at a state university campus tagging along a work trip. Campus is full of students and classrooms are full. The recreational center is definitely full of people on treadmills. It is raining here at Central Coast region.

It may have changed since I have been gone.  

I wish I'd remembered, I'd have let DSD stay home.  I am bad at planning, I need milk and medicine and I don't think I can wait until after midnight.... but we're going to try.  Luckily this reminded me to mark March 8th on my bullet journal so I don't forget. 

What is March 8th?

• Like 1

Um, people who immigrate to another country are, by definition, home.

• Like 3

there is a difference between coming legally - and coming illegally.  or even coming legally on a visa, and refusing to leave.

my x-sil came  here legally (she is now a citizen).  the worst  "discrimination" she got, was from other hispanics.  They also automatically assumed she was here illegally.  she had many many many offers of help to scam the system..

• Like 1

Um, people who immigrate to another country are, by definition, home.

Okaaaay. I personally am not going to go there with my neighbors that phrase it that way. I respect their words and will leave it at that.