Menu

Need new facial skincare--ideas?

redmom3

I am almost 48  My skin is not terrible, but I am a redhead with very very dry fair skin.  I use a variety of rather cheap cleansers, moisturizers, exfoliates, creams etc  I am working on water intake, I do take a multivitamin and a probiotic..  But I feel like I need to get serious about preventing whatever can be prevented :laugh:   Seems like the stuff with alpha hydroxy just bothers me alot.

I watched several videos on youtube about over 40 skincare and I seriously don't know how they can have enough time and money to use all that they do! 

Need simple, need not outrageously expensive although I know I will have to spend some to get good stuff.

Just wondering what the hive uses;)

I have extremely sensitive skin.

I tend to get allergic to one thing after another.

About 10 years ago I started using Jan Marini cleanser and creams.  I have never become sensitized to them, and I find them very nourishing.

Mostly I use the C-Esta cleanser and the Rejuvenation cream.  I don't mess around with 5 step processes, LOL.  Clean, cream, go.  Sometimes a tinted moisturizer if I feel like I should have make up on.  (I hate make up, but this feels lighter.)  (I use the color they call 'sand'.)

Recently I started to use the enzyme mask and cleanser about twice a month.  Basically I put the mask on and get in the bathtub with a good book.  After about 15-20 minutes I clean the mask off with the cleanser, moisturize as usual, and wow, does that make my skin look younger and smoother. 

Love this brand!

• Like 1

I'm a fan of Korean skin care, but it's sort of a whole other world, lol.  You learn about the products and brands and build your routine. I like it because the lower end products are much nicer (to me) than high end american products. And there are lots of options depending on what you are looking for. I prefer unscented products, and have so many more options.  Plus there are blogs to read, reviews to buy, even a podcast..it's fun for me. And now so much of it is available via Amazon that it's dead easy. I never spend more than 20$ on a product. My son uses korean products as well and it has worked well for his acne. In the end he needed to see the dermatologist for a prescription, but what he was using definitely helped. If he had more of the 'occasional acne' type situation it would have been all he needed.

And because people who have heard about korean skin care ask me: yes, I put snail goo on my face and I LOVE it. And so do my kids, lol. Snail goo FTW!

But, if you want actually effective, then go to a dermatologist. You can get a script for retinin-A and that will absolutely work. Now, it's not usually covered by insurances, or at least it's not by mine. And it's not cheap. BUT, if you consider what everything else you can stick on your face costs, it makes sense to at least consider spending your money on something that is proven to work,and work well.

There is also Curology, which is an online dermatologist. Their website seems to really focus in on acne treatment, but that is new. It used be about acne and ageing and a few other things. I am willing to bet they will help you if you don't have acne. You pay 20$ a month and get a monthly delivery of their prescription mediation that has been formulated for you. 

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Like 4

I've started using Korean products as well, or a mix that follows the general Korean outline. My skin has shown remarkable improvement since I began in Nov.

It's not simple, but it doesn't really take that long once you get used to it, and like redsquirrel, I use the cheaper items.

I think the key elements in my skin's improvement have been:

the 2-step cleanser at least once a day (oil followed by regular cleanser). I use plain neem oil instead of some fancy pants brand. It stinks but I like it.

the sleeping pack, which is like a heavy lotion on top of regular lotions

weekly sheet masks

Still, because I'm afraid I don't really know why my skin is improving and I'm afraid to drop anything, I use:

oil cleanser, water cleanser, exfoliating charcoal sponge, toner, essence, eye cream, serum, lotion, sleep pack (night) or sunscreen (day). It takes about 5min if I go slowly. The sheet masks are 20min once a week and definitely make a difference.

If you want even simpler and have money to splurge on, I recently won an aloe based lotion set in some contest. I had never heard of it before, but this stuff is amazing. I prefer it over my Korean lotion and sleep pack. I've even gotten lazy and started just washing and using this lotion because it is so awesome. It's super expensive to me, but maybe there's a knock off somewhere. I'll be sad when I run out. I received the normal white jars and the green jar under the anti-aging section. The white is lighter and good for daytime, but the green is thick; like a Korean sleeping pack. https://www.infinitealoe.com/store/?cat=1

I'm blonde, I'll be 66 this summer, and I have rosacea and keritosis pilaris (those bumpy things on your upper arms).

I have always used good-quality skin care products. For the most part, I have been a happy Artistry user for over 40 years (Artistry is Amway's cosmetic/skin care line). I am a firm believer in the three steps (which most major skin care companies recommend): cleanse (always something made especially for faces), tone, moisturize. At night when I shower, I use a soap that has colloidal silver, which helps a couple of my skin conditions, and then apply a gel for my rosacea. In the morning, I do the three steps. I saw a new dermatologist recently, and she congratulated me for moisturizing my skin. :-)

I just don't think the inexpensive skin care products are that good for your face. Your face is worth the $$. :-)

• Like 1

I'm 54 and hypothyroid. My skin is super dry, especially (of course) during the winter. This will no doubt cause some of you to gasp, but for the past couple of months I've been using plain old Aquaphor as a moisturizer at night. My skin looks and feels better than it has in years.

• Like 1

I am a red head with dry very sensitive skin and rosacea. I'm on the brink of trying some of the Korean skincare but I have found Cetaphil for cleansing is good for me and La Roche Posay does a line called Toleriane that is very good. The Toleriane moisturisers can feel really heavy when you put them on but it disappears after a few minutes. I think cheap skincare is a false economy if you've actually got problems since it's full of irritating ingredients which just make skin more intolerant. I struggle with sunscreen the most. I just recently started to understand what toners were supposed to do and I'm looking for a good alcohol-free toner at the moment. 

Edited by lailasmum
  • Like 2

I use the Cerave line for my skin wash, eye cream, and general moisturizer.

I have highly reactive skin, and it's the only thing that works consistent for me without making my skin flair. It's also easy to buy locally for most of us.

My daughter is into Korean products of late and says they're even more gentle, FWIW.

• Like 1

I'm 47 with blonde hair and fair, dry skin. My skin care routine is very simple. The only product I use is cetaphil moisturizer, which I apply morning and night.  Instead of using cleanser, I just splash my face with water while showering in the morning. At night, I wash my face gently with a wet washcloth. 

I find that the biggest factor in how my skin looks and feels is my diet. For years, my skin was very sensitive and reactive and I was plagued with rosacea and keratosis pilaris. Then, about 13 months ago, I went grain-free. It was a happy surprise that within just a few weeks of eliminating grains, the rosacea and keratosis pilaris disappeared, as did all the sensitivity and irritation. My skin looks and feels the best it ever has since making that change.

• Like 2

I can't navigate Korean skincare but my little sis filters it for me.

My routine though was researched once and I stuck with it: Vit C serum, euro sunscreen day. Retinoids alternated with a very emollient cream at night. I also love the acid peels from MUAC, namely the mandelic one. For retinoids, I order generic renova from overseas

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2

Ellie, is that metrogel you use? Do you apply any kind of moisturizer over it?

Definitely not metrogel. It's Finacea. Metrogel does nothing for me. :-p No, I don't apply any moisturizer over it. If I also apply it in the morning (which I do sometimes if my rosacea is acting up), it's after I've applied my regular moisturizer.

Definitely not metrogel. It's Finacea. Metrogel does nothing for me. :-p No, I don't apply any moisturizer over it. If I also apply it in the morning (which I do sometimes if my rosacea is acting up), it's after I've applied my regular moisturizer.

Thanks, I will look into that. Over the years I've been able to just keep my irregular rosacea in check with non-Rx products and careful skin care/makeup choices. However, the last year has been extraordinarily challenging and due to sliding self-care (and gallons of coffee and perimenopausal hormones, no doubt!), I had an awful flare up and was prescribed metrogel by my primary care doc, with instructions to follow up with a derm (not yet done since I decided I need to change derms). The metro gel cleared my skin but it was drying, so about half hour after application I've run a thin layer of aquafor over it. It seems to work very well. But I'd like to get back to my regular skin care products. And I remain confused about what order to apply which products!

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I use the Cerave line for my skin wash, eye cream, and general moisturizer.

I have highly reactive skin, and it's the only thing that works consistent for me without making my skin flair. It's also easy to buy locally for most of us.

My daughter is into Korean products of late and says they're even more gentle, FWIW.

Another vote for Cerave. 

I use CeraVe for cleanser.  I was also using CeraVe for moisturizer but recently I tried First Aid Beauty ulta serum and moisturizer.  I've been very pleased so far.  I suppose the winter, plus being almost 55, is affecting my skin making it drier and more sensitive.  Like, I said, I'm very pleased so far, but it has been less than a month since I switched.  I did some research on Paula's Choice and I liked what I read about the product.

I'm 54 and hypothyroid. My skin is super dry, especially (of course) during the winter. This will no doubt cause some of you to gasp, but for the past couple of months I've been using plain old Aquaphor as a moisturizer at night. My skin looks and feels better than it has in years.

Similar here, except I like Eucerin better than Aquaphor (same maker for both I think). One big tub for $15 probably lasts a year. I have very sensitive skin with a tendency toward something like eczema. Eucerin feels wonderful and really helps.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will look into that. Over the years I've been able to just keep my irregular rosacea in check with non-Rx products and careful skin care/makeup choices. However, the last year has been extraordinarily challenging and due to sliding self-care (and gallons of coffee and perimenopausal hormones, no doubt!), I had an awful flare up and was prescribed metrogel by my primary care doc, with instructions to follow up with a derm (not yet done since I decided I need to change derms). The metro gel cleared my skin but it was drying, so about half hour after application I've run a thin layer of aquafor over it. It seems to work very well. But I'd like to get back to my regular skin care products. And I remain confused about what order to apply which products!

Yeah, my PCP also prescribed metrogel, but she also referred me to a dermatologist, who prescribed Finacea almost 13 years ago. I saw a different derm recently, and she said Finacea is the best there is. However, it is also more expensive than metrogel. :-(

I use the Finacea just at night, by itself. I don't think it's drying, but then I'm asleep, so...:-) When I use it in the morning, if I'm having a particularly annoying flare, it is after I've applied moisturizer. The order of application used to weird me out, too, lol.

• Like 1

I am almost 48... very very dry fair skin.  ...

Need simple, need not outrageously expensive although I know I will have to spend some to get good stuff.

Just wondering what the hive uses;)

I also have dry and sensitive skin.

I use Cetaphil to wash my face and neck before bedtime.

I've used creams from SkinActives.com for over a decade and I'm pleased with them. I use their Canvas Base Cream and Dream Cream. If you are ready to spend $$, consider their Anti-aging Cream

I like Japanese sunscreens, because they are non-oily and don't leave a white cast on my skin. I recommend the Hada Labo Perfect UV Sunscreen Gel and the Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel.

Edited by nansk
  • Like 1

I love rosehip oil. The brand I use, Trilogy, is from NZ, so I'm not sure if it's widely available in the USA.

It's especially good for sun damaged skin. Sunscreen is the first line of defence, obviously. I wish I could travel back and tell my 18 yr old self that. Grrr

As well as the oil there are different moisturizers to suit your age/skin type.

• Like 1

Another vote for Cerave. 

Cerave works so well because it protects the acid mantle of your skin.  Our skin is slightly acid, it's covered with an acid mantle that protects it and keeps nasty germs from growing on it etc.  But, most cleansers are basic...that 'squeaky clean" feeling is really the feeling of skin without it's acid mantle. 

Cerave is one of the few western low ph cleansers.  This past autumn I switched the whole family to low ph cleansers, so I use Cerave, both the foaming and the lotion soap and a low ph shampoo.  Amazing.  Last year my ds2 had such terrible winter excema that I wanted to cry.  Dry and flaking bumpy skin all over his body, cracking knees and elbows, flaking and red around his eyes, itching head..the whole thing. The doctor told us to just keep putting lotion on it. I was on a twice a day lotion routine just to keep him from scratching himself until he bled.  This year.... not a problem. We switched to Cerave cleanser for all cleaning, even hand washing at the sink and ZERO flaking and no cracks etc.  We switched to a low ph shampoo called joico (at Ulta) and dh's winter dandruff didn't show up at all.

For anyone interested in Korean skin care, I got two books out of the library:

The Little book of Skin Care: Korean Skin care basics for healthy glowing skin

Korean beauty secrets: A practical guide to cutting edge skin care and make up

I think the author of the first book started a website that also sells stuff, so keep that in mind.  And korean skin care moves quickly..so exact products in the books could have been discontinued.

A couple blogs I like are

https://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/

http://www.fanserviced-b.com/

http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/

and of course reddit has a thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

I personally have a routine this winter of

oil cleanse

lotion cleanser

(vitamin C serum every other day)

hada labo toner

snail bee high content essence

Cosrx snail power essence

jojoba oil around eyes

Cerave nigh time cream or daytime depending.

During the day I use a 30-50 spf depending on the season.  This time of year I am fine with a 30.  In March I switch to a 50 by Biore, which is a japanese sunblock. It's not greasy at all.

My routine changes though. At this point I've picked up this and that. I have days my skin feels drier and I have days I have more and less time. And it changes with the season as well.  In the summer I use more gels and I need a lot less.  Right now my skin feels like a desert.  I am not above putting a very thin layer of petroleum jelly on my face before I go to bed. It is that dry here and it works.

• Like 2

I'm 47 with blonde hair and fair, dry skin. My skin care routine is very simple. The only product I use is cetaphil moisturizer, which I apply morning and night. Instead of using cleanser, I just splash my face with water while showering in the morning. At night, I wash my face gently with a wet washcloth.

I find that the biggest factor in how my skin looks and feels is my diet. For years, my skin was very sensitive and reactive and I was plagued with rosacea and keratosis pilaris. Then, about 13 months ago, I went grain-free. It was a happy surprise that within just a few weeks of eliminating grains, the rosacea and keratosis pilaris disappeared, as did all the sensitivity and irritation. My skin looks and feels the best it ever has since making that change.

I heard the same (rosacea, acne, etc. getting better) from others starting a probitic especially s. boulardii. I think low carb or grain free can work for some because of underlying GI issues. Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

I love rosehip oil. 

A makeup artist recently told me she applies a drop of rosehip oil under her eyes every night. I started doing the same, and am waking up to soft, moisturized undereye skin.

But I applied it lightly to my cheeks one night and broke out the next day. So I only apply it under my eyes now. It is worth a try for dry skin but if you also have sensitive skin like mine, be careful.

I really like Andalou Naturals. Their sensitive line has cleared up my adult acne and smells like roses.

The sugar scrub is yummy and they have a sunscreen that is a physical as opposed to chemical. I think they are organic/natural and meet all the froo froo requirements to be sold in our local natural store.

I heard the same (rosacea, acne, etc. getting better) from others starting a probitic especially s. boulardii. I think low carb or grain free can work for some because of underlying GI issues.

That's interesting about the probiotics.

The benefit of going grain free is that it greatly reduces inflammation in the body. Same with going sugar free. Red, irritated skin is often the most outwardly visible sign of inflammation in the body, so people who drop grains and/or sugar often see their skin clear up pretty quickly.

Cerave works so well because it protects the acid mantle of your skin. Our skin is slightly acid, it's covered with an acid mantle that protects it and keeps nasty germs from growing on it etc. But, most cleansers are basic...that 'squeaky clean" feeling is really the feeling of skin without it's acid mantle.

Cerave is one of the few western low ph cleansers. This past autumn I switched the whole family to low ph cleansers, so I use Cerave, both the foaming and the lotion soap and a low ph shampoo. Amazing. Last year my ds2 had such terrible winter excema that I wanted to cry. Dry and flaking bumpy skin all over his body, cracking knees and elbows, flaking and red around his eyes, itching head..the whole thing. The doctor told us to just keep putting lotion on it. I was on a twice a day lotion routine just to keep him from scratching himself until he bled. This year.... not a problem. We switched to Cerave cleanser for all cleaning, even hand washing at the sink and ZERO flaking and no cracks etc. We switched to a low ph shampoo called joico (at Ulta) and dh's winter dandruff didn't show up at all.

For anyone interested in Korean skin care, I got two books out of the library:

The Little book of Skin Care: Korean Skin care basics for healthy glowing skin

Korean beauty secrets: A practical guide to cutting edge skin care and make up

I think the author of the first book started a website that also sells stuff, so keep that in mind. And korean skin care moves quickly..so exact products in the books could have been discontinued.

A couple blogs I like are

https://fiftyshadesofsnail.com/

http://www.fanserviced-b.com/

http://www.snowwhiteandtheasianpear.com/

and of course reddit has a thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/AsianBeauty/

I personally have a routine this winter of

oil cleanse

lotion cleanser

(vitamin C serum every other day)

hada labo toner

snail bee high content essence

Cosrx snail power essence

jojoba oil around eyes

Cerave nigh time cream or daytime depending.

During the day I use a 30-50 spf depending on the season. This time of year I am fine with a 30. In March I switch to a 50 by Biore, which is a japanese sunblock. It's not greasy at all.

My routine changes though. At this point I've picked up this and that. I have days my skin feels drier and I have days I have more and less time. And it changes with the season as well. In the summer I use more gels and I need a lot less. Right now my skin feels like a desert. I am not above putting a very thin layer of petroleum jelly on my face before I go to bed. It is that dry here and it works.

I do the petroleum jelly under my eyes. It works.

Do you have a view on homemade Vit C vs the mid price ones on Amazon (not for cost, but for effectiveness). I've done both, and prefer the convenience of prime :) but with Amazon I never know anymore where it's coming from and how long it has sat there.

Re sunscreen, I love the greasy feeling. This is a girl who would slather self in La Mer but for the price (or German Nivea, same thing ;)). So I use the euro Anthelios creme in the summer.

Edited by madteaparty

I do the petroleum jelly under my eyes. It works.

Do you have a view on homemade Vit C vs the mid price ones on Amazon (not for cost, but for effectiveness). I've done both, and prefer the convenience of prime :) but with Amazon I never know anymore where it's coming from and how long it has sat there.

Re sunscreen, I love the greasy feeling. This is a girl who would slather self in La Mer but for the price (or German Nivea, same thing ;)). So I use the euro Anthelios creme in the summer.

I've made my own for years.  I buy powdered Vit C powder at my local coop.  It comes with a cute teensy tiny gram spoon in the jar.  I just take enough to cover the bottom of the spoon and mix with a teaspoon of tap water. I make it in a dixie cup in the bathroom. I then apply right to my face. Done and it takes 30 seconds to mix up.  I don't bother with making the whole thing with glycerine etc.

I am now on my second bottle of serum from Amazon. I am using the original C20 serum.  The first bottle I bought went dark quite quickly, so I keep this on in the fridge. It has lasted a really long time and hasn't gotten dark so I know it's fresh.  C20 is a sister company to Cosrx, which is one of my favorite companies. 

I'm...ok, with the serum. I might just go back to doing what I was doing when this is done and then decide if I want to buy it again.  I'm not crazy about the glycerine stickiness. 

My favorite active that I buy is the Cosrx AHA serum.

• Like 2