Menu

Tired of making dinner, but don't want to eat out either (JAWM)

marbel

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

I know we have a lot of threads that include lamenting about meal planning, cooking, etc.  This is sort of one of those, but with an addition...

My husband wants to go out to dinner tonight and I just don't want to.  I used to love to eat out.  Now, it just seems to be a waste of money for food I could cook at home.    I get that when eating in a restaurant, we are paying for convenience and not having to plan, cook, clean, etc.  I do get that.  But I'm craving a burger.  I'm perusing menus of likely places.   I don't need a giant $14 burger, on a "brioche bun" no less.  I'd be happy with a Wendy's burger off their value menu.  On a regular hamburger bun!  Less food but less $$$ too.

Gah, I am hard to please, aren't I?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I will be nice when we get to the restaurant, I promise.

• Like 6

This is somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

I know we have a lot of threads that include lamenting about meal planning, cooking, etc.  This is sort of one of those, but with an addition...

My husband wants to go out to dinner tonight and I just don't want to.  I used to love to eat out.  Now, it just seems to be a waste of money for food I could cook at home.    I get that when eating in a restaurant, we are paying for convenience and not having to plan, cook, clean, etc.  I do get that.  But I'm craving a burger.  I'm perusing menus of likely places.   I don't need a giant $14 burger, on a "brioche bun" no less.  I'd be happy with a Wendy's burger off their value menu.  On a regular hamburger bun!  Less food but less $$$ too.

Gah, I am hard to please, aren't I?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I will be nice when we get to the restaurant, I promise.

Hope you enjoy your meal out!  I have this issue, too.  I like the idea of going out to eat, but I don't want the expense or the huge portions.  Sometimes I'll just get an appetizer and that's less expensive and not so much food.  I have friends who meet for dinner every month and it's always a fancy place that is expensive while I'd prefer something much simpler.  

• Like 2

The nicest restaurant we eat at has burgers for less than $10 but they're still big. No matter what I order, I eat only half and take home the other half for lunch the next day.

My problem with that is I just want a cheeseburger and ketchup.  No fries, no giant bun.  So, I'm paying for all that food I don't even want - at home or in the restaurant.  

• Like 2

I feel exactly the same way.  Huge waste of money.

But I don't want to cook either.

If I could just stop needing to eat that would be ideal. 

I could be happy eating very simply.

It's these other people that I live with.  

But we have been down this road before, recently!   

• Like 5

My problem with that is I just want a cheeseburger and ketchup.  No fries, no giant bun.  So, I'm paying for all that food I don't even want - at home or in the restaurant.  

Same here.  I might want one small part of a meal and there is just no way to get it.  And no way to get sane amounts of food.  And leftover certain items are just yucky.

And I'm cheap.  I could make burgers for everyone for $10.  Not just one.

But then I'm lazy. 

• Like 1

think of the cows!

Seriously, find a place with a mid-range burger ($7 or so) that uses grass fed beef.

oddly I can't stand the taste of grass fed beef....at least not the Australian stuff they have in the store (this is not meant as a slam on Australian cows or Australians)

Although with ground meat...even ground shoe can be acceptable with the right seasoning.  But meh...There is nowhere I know of to get a $7 burger.  Maybe McDds...and well...

Do you have a mid-range place, like 5 Guys, where the burgers are decent but you're not expected to tip? That might take the sting out.

Well, we had a specific time window and a specific area, so we were kinda tied to a limited number of places.  Like, $14 burgers or McD's.

HOWEVER!   He had to call it off for tonight.  Too much work.  

We'll reschedule and then we ought to be able to hit 5 Guys (I've never been) or Red Robin which has a $10 burger.   

Another reason I'm happy:  I have to drive home since we were meeting up. (I have to drop my kid off at a class and we have to leave before he can get out of work.)  That meant no wine for me.  Of course I don't know if 5 Guys or Red Robin have wine anyway, but that's OK.   If I have to eat at a nice place, I want wine.    :lol:  :lol:   If it's more casual, water will do.   Yeah, I know that makes zero sense.

Edited by marbel
  • Like 4

Well, we had a specific time window and a specific area, so we were kinda tied to a limited number of places. Like, $14 burgers or McD's.

HOWEVER! He had to call it off for tonight. Too much work.

We'll reschedule and then we ought to be able to hit 5 Guys (I've never been) or Red Robin which has a $10 burger.

Another reason I'm happy: I have to drive home since we were meeting up. (I have to drop my kid off at a class and we have to leave before he can get out of work.) That meant no wine for me. Of course I don't know if 5 Guys or Red Robin have wine anyway, but that's OK. If I have to eat at a nice place, I want wine. :lol: :lol: If it's more casual, water will do. Yeah, I know that makes zero sense.

5 Guys' burgers are good! They do not have wine. You walk in, order, then they call your number. No tipping and really reasonable for the quality. You get a metric ton of fries in one order. Red Robin does have booze, but more expensive and the food isn't as good IMO.

• Like 3

5 Guys' burgers are good! They do not have wine. You walk in, order, then they call your number. No tipping and really reasonable for the quality. You get a metric ton of fries in one order. Red Robin does have booze, but more expensive and the food isn't as good IMO.

I like their burgers at 5 guys.  The fries are good too.

• Like 1

I only like eating out if it is food I cannot replicate at home.

I don't like spending money on restaurant food that I could cook myself just as well, and often much better.  

Which means, to me, only ethnic food (or really fancy food, if we are in a big city) is worth it.

The only place in town I would eat dinner at is the one Thai restaurant, and my guys like Japanese. The state of the local restaurant scene is pathetic. (Panera is fine for a quick work lunch if I don't have time to go home and cook, but it's not "dinner out".)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

I like their burgers at 5 guys. The fries are good too.

And they'll serve bunless burgers or lettuce wraps without stinkface, though it's hard to resist the Cajun fries!

I love going out and trying different things. Atlanta has so many great restaurants. BUT taking the kids? Sucks. Not having an endless money supply sucks too.

• Like 4

And they'll serve bunless burgers or lettuce wraps without stinkface, though it's hard to resist the Cajun fries!

I love going out and trying different things. Atlanta has so many great restaurants. BUT taking the kids? Sucks. Not having an endless money supply sucks too.

I should go there for that.  The lettuce wrapped burger.  I haven't been there in a long time.

Great...now I'm hungry. 

• Like 3

I know.  It is just crazy.  I feel like all I do is plan, shop and cook.

Yep. I have three sons.  Two of them are always trying to gain weight and muscle.  They all require huge meals.  They don't live at home now but, before they come home for an extended period of time, I get so stressed thinking about how I'm going to feed them.  When they aren't home and it's just DH, dd, and me, it's so easy!  I'm definitely spoiled.  

• Like 1

I know what you mean. DH works only ten minutes away now, and the kids are in school, so I recently mentioned that we should go out for lunch sometime. Because we never get to go on dates with the kids around. So he called one morning last week to see if I wanted to eat out. My answer: "No, I'm tired. I've been cleaning. I'm wearing old clothes and don't want to change. I haven't showered. I'm going to go take a nap."

Poor DH. Sometimes I am so confusing :o .

• Like 3

Is there a https://www.steaknshake.com nearby? I had dinner there tonight. i LOVE their burgers, fries are OK. I actually got a kids meal! (Some restaurants will allow grown ups to order a kids meal if you ask. If it's a tipping restaurant I still tip on the cost of an adult meal)

Crazy thing is, burgers were on the menu at home tonight. After an exhausting 3+ hour dance rehearsal, SweetChild asked me to drive her to work (babysitting, 30 mins away) I had her burger ready but I planned to eat later when DH & Diamond got home, but it was too late for me too cook mine, so I jumped in the car, dropped her off, and hit the Steak n Shake drive through.

I rewarded myself with a shake for my efforts. :)

• Like 2

Burgers are a fallback here. I like to go ahead and have them shaped in patties with salt and pepper in the freezer so I can just thaw and throw them in the pan. Buns are always in the freezer too, ready to thaw, though lately I have been enjoying mine sans bun. I am extremely lazy but I can usually convince myself to spend ten minutes with a skillet. Usually. So I feel your pain there :)

I have lately been experimenting with various pricey cheeses to jazz them up. So now the burger craving is almost where it can't be satisfied without me cooking it myself. Because I have more awesome cheese than most of the restaurants are serving lol... Apparently I am motivated by salty hunks of aged cheeses that cost way too much per pound!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 3

LOL, such a fun conversation.

I've decided that dinner out is not what I want anyway.  I want to go out to a bar and listen to music.  So that is my new project:  finding some local places (don't want to go into Philly if I don't have to) that have musicians.  I've never noticed any around here but I've never looked, either.   My husband agrees, so that's good.   (But he does like to go out for nice dinner and I can't stand spending a lot of money on that, so there's still a small disagreement there.)

• Like 2

I really like cooking meals in big batches and freezing meals so we have leftovers.  Things like burgers are really easy to freeze and make a quick and easy leftover meal with no clean up.  Cooking once and then getting two or three meals out of it is perfect for us.  

I know what you mean. I, too, used to love to eat out. Now I am always thinking "I can make this. I can make it healthier. It would cost me $4 to make this and they are charging how much? I wish I was in my pajamas right now."

I don't seem to have the same issue with take out. Happy to order in if I don't have to cook. I just don't want to go out.